• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Speevy said:
Well then I guess you're done. I expect 6 more RPGs beaten by the end of next week.

Well, I should be putting the finishing touches on KHII, my replay of FFVIII, and Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams (this is close enough to a RPG :lol ). I also am near the end of my replays of Grandia I and Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen.

(also, Dark Realm >> Bloody Palace... but mostly due to limitations in the combat system... unless you're Tenkai)

Seth C

I finally "finished" the game. All of the quests that net gamer points are done. I think I've officially completed about 130 quest total. It took about 130 hours, and I'm level 37.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I finished the Magic Guilds quests earlier this morning. It was VERY fullfilling :D

Also, I want to state how USELESS Black Soul Gems are. You would think that going through all the trouble to make the gem so you can contain human souls would somehow raise the gems enchantment powers in some ways. I just think it sucks that your just essentially just getting what you could with a Grand Soul Gem.

Though the thought of enchanting a Daedric Blade with the soul of an orphan child is both wrong on many levels and rocks a whole lot at the same time (and I know there are no children in Oblivion :p).

EDIT: For all you Oblivion PC users, there seems to be a Unarmored Mod :D It basically creates a new skill (Unarmored) that raises your defense for being unarmored (duh). I'm thinking about using this mod since I want to use some Robes I got for finishing the Mage Guilds quests ;)

That would also make your character..Monk'ish, which I think is cool. The Mod also comes with perks! So when you level up to different classes, it emulates how the other skills work (Apprentice, Journeyman ect) :D

Link: Unarmored Mod

EDIT#2: Oh and theres also ANOTHER mod that does this...

Dimensional Pocket MOD said:
Adds a pocket dimension for storing loot.

Use the spell given to summon a door. Going through the door takes you to the Pocket, in which you can put items. Leave through the glowing gate to go back to where you entered from. Using the same door twice kicks you out of the pocket, just summon a new one.

Link: Dimensional Pocket Mod

raYne

:lol I was looking at the wrong screen the whole time. Since I never use the breakdown screen you posted (pic) I was looking at the "completed quests" screen wondering what the hell you were talking about.

182 quests, 129 hours, Current level 29.

I was thinking about starting over, but I'd miss all the skills/stats/items/goodies that I've collected already. Actually made a new character and everything, but got bored during the prison escape. :/ I'm just gonna stick with my current character and max out her stats of skills that I really don't use. ie Blunt, alchemy, alteration etc.

BlueTsunami said:
Some people don't like it, but I love going through the game almost God like.
I know the feeling. If I go into "archer" mode, I kill everything in 1-2 arrows with my current stats/equipment. Hell, even if I get spotted before I take everyone out, I just turn invisible.. walk around behind them and still get the sneak kill bonus.

GhaleonEB

Well, now they've done it. I got kicked out of the Mage's Guild for swiping some dude's horse, and now the guy in the Acadamy wants me to pick some flowers for him. Well, his thirst for a lovely bouquet has driven me to boredom, and when I'm bored, I kill a farmer in the middle of nowhere while he sleeps for fun. Now I've found my calling: The Dark Brotherhood.

Killing old men in their sleep, pirates and dropping things on old people while they sit there. This is the life for me. I hope there's lots of quests in this line.

I'm off to do a gaggle of dungeons and work up my Sneak skill to get ready for the next quest. My Sneak is only at 23 (it went up five on the last quest in just a couple of minutes lol). That guy will get his pretty flowers when I've had my fill of innocent bloodshed. :D

BTW - is it fun being a vampire? Just asking....

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
Now I've found my calling: The Dark Brotherhood.
As was said in the past. Best quests in the game!

BTW - is it fun being a vampire? Just asking....
Depends...

You get an immediate stat boost as well as night vision and life detection. BUT you have to feed every few days or else you can get burned by the sun. So you have to run for cover everytime that happens. Especially annoying if you're out in the wilderness 'cause there might be no dwellings/dungeons nearby and you can't "wait" or quick travel since you're taking damage. You pretty much have to run around casting restoration spells (or drinking potions) till you find safety.

Also, you can only feed on people if they're sleeping. Meaning, you have to risk feeding on a Guildmate (and getting kicked out if caught?) or you have to break into people's homes at night and feed. In which case, high security skill is a must.

If I recall, if you don't feed for long enough you become more vampiric, eventually being shunned by everyone. However you get stronger and don't suffer sun damage anymore (is this correct?).

TheWolf

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I'm off to do a gaggle of dungeons and work up my Sneak skill to get ready for the next quest. My Sneak is only at 23 (it went up five on the last quest in just a couple of minutes lol). That guy will get his pretty flowers when I've had my fill of innocent bloodshed. :D

go into Cloud Ruler Temple barracks at night while guards are sleeping and go nuts with the sneak skill. ;)

BlueTsunami

raYne said:
If I recall, if you don't feed for long enough you become more vampiric, eventually being shunned by everyone. However you get stronger and don't suffer sun damage anymore (is this correct?).

Once you contract 100% Vampirism or Hemophelia blaa blaa blaa you can get killed by sunlight in a matter of seconds. So it actually gets worse. All the skills that were fortified get another fortification and you also get one or two new (and final abilities)

raYne

Speevy said:
There are so many great stat bonuses in the game that you don't have to give yourself a penalty.
There's that, but if I recall, he pretty much just started so I doubt he has acess to any of those yet. I was explaining what would happen if he does it at his current state.

BlueTsunami said:
Once you contract 100% Vampirism or Hemophelia blaa blaa blaa you can get killed by sunlight in a matter of seconds. So it actually gets worse. All the skills that were fortified get another fortification and you also get one or two new (and final abilities)
It gets worse? :lol Better get used to only doing quests at night then (if he goes that route).

BlueTsunami

raYne said:
It gets worse? :lol Better get used to only doing quests at night then (if he goes that route).

:p

Yep. The damage from the Sun gets so fricken annoying. This is why you must stay ontop of feeding and keeping the vampirism down (Unless you don't want to see the sun for a while). Its funny though, the semi-long stint I was a Vampire (which I neglected feeding) was a pain in my ass. You have to actively plan out (when using fast travel) where your going and make sure your don't fast travel straight into 12pm (you better run for shelter at that point)

Once I cured my Vampirism and saw the Sun for a healthy amount of time, it was a breath of fresh air.

LakeEarth

Damn game loves to freeze whenever I close an Oblivion Gate. And of course I never think to save before that so I have to re-climb the tower again. So annoying. Its not like I don't have enough Oblivion Gates to close already.

Seth C

LakeEarth said:
Damn game loves to freeze whenever I close an Oblivion Gate. And of course I never think to save before that so I have to re-climb the tower again. So annoying. Its not like I don't have enough Oblivion Gates to close already.

Yeah, that really got annoying. Also loves to crash on my way out of dungeons, meaning I have to go back and do the whole thing over again.

Seth C said:
Yeah, that really got annoying. Also loves to crash on my way out of dungeons, meaning I have to go back and do the whole thing over again.

Ugh. That's happened to me twice already. I've been saving just before I get out of a dungeon ever since.

belgurdo

Banned
Jesus-I bought some staff out of the staff store in the Imperial Market District that does 33 ice, 33 fire, and 33 lightning damage, and using it and a ton of soul gems I finished the arena questline in roughly half an hour. The damn weapon flatlines anyone who isn't magic resistant or wearing heavy armor in one or two shots. I'm finding it extremely odd that I've been playing for hours and haven't found shit in any doungeon (besides Umbra), but this overpowered thing is lying in the first store of the game for about 2000 gold...

I also need a way to enchant items with invisibility. The game proper won't let me do it, so maybe a mod?

BlueTsunami

Doublesith said:
Ugh. That's happened to me twice already. I've been saving just before I get out of a dungeon ever since.

I quicksave like a man on a mission. Everytime I run into an enemy, I end up quicksaving. This game crashes WAY to much for my liking (and comfortability).

Zensetsu

I've been getting almost no crashes. I'm on PC with a pentium 4 - 3gig, 1.5 gigs of ram and a geforce 6600 GT 128. Got a grass density reduction ini tweak, and hdr off (i can run with it on but I prefer it to be smoother). I get a crash about once every 8 - 10 hours. (spread over several play sessions of about 1-3 hours at a time)

WarLox

Is the Varla Stone important to anything... I found some in a crave.. had to press a button to release them.... Can I sell them... or are they important to someone ?? :)

belgurdo

Banned
WarLox said:
Is the Varla Stone important to anything... I found some in a crave.. had to press a button to release them.... Can I sell them... or are they important to someone ?? :)

Varla stones recharge all enchanted items to max. Very useful if you don't have soul gems. And as well, Welkynd stones recharge your MP. There are related statues (Ayelid statues) that initiate a small quest, but I forget where it is

WarLox

belgurdo said:
Varla stones recharge all enchanted items to max. Very useful if you don't have soul gems. And as well, Welkynd stones recharge your MP. There are related statues (Ayelid statues) that initiate a small quest, but I forget where it is

wow... thank you sir... varla stones have "copy glitch" written all over it :lol

Mashing

belgurdo said:

I think small quest is an understatement. It was one of the first quests I got and it's still in my quest log over 100 hours later.

GreekWolf

Mashing said:
I think small quest is an understatement. It was one of the first quests I got and it's still in my quest log over 100 hours later.
Yeah, no kidding. If you complete the entire "Collector" quest line from start to finish, it'll take anywhere from 30-40 hours.

I think it's more fun to put it on the backburner for awhile, and build up your character to at least level 25 or so before heading out to
recover those statues.
The dungeons are much tougher and the loot is a heckuva lot better.

GhaleonEB

Okay, just had two sequences that were utterly awesome. The first was
Miscarcand to the east of Kvatch
. That place was freaking H-U-G-E and very tough. Tons of great loot, nasty new zombies and skeletons, and the first
boss I had run into - the King of Miscarcando. A total badass with two headless zombies and one regular in tow. Brutal fight, awesome loot.

The second was finding and closing the first Oblivion Gate, which I just did. I was going to that town for fun, not realizing it was one of my quests. :lol The inside was just huge, very fun stuff. I'm up an hour and a half later than I intended to go to bed, but I had to finish up the Oblivion gate before sleep. I'm sooooo loving this game.

[/raving]

BuG

gblues said:
There's a fighter's guild quest in Anvil that can get you mountain lion pelts easy.
it's the rat quest.

Nathan
Cool. I'm not even in any guilds yet, I've been playing BF2 more at the moment. Is it just the pelts or live lions? 'Cause I gotta find live lions. I'll just level up I guess so it's all good.

firex

Just going by this thread... Maybe I'm lucky with my PC version, but it looks like the 360 version is more prone to bugs/freezes. I've had a couple random crashes, which I think may be a deal with having a lot of speed gear on my assassin I just recently made (seems like sometimes I run by so fast that it screws up with gossip? not sure really, it just seems like it only happens with guards), but never the extent of the freezes/crashes that seem to get mentioned in this thread by most of the 360 players.

Anyway... great game. I'm not sure if I'll ever finish Oblivion (well, finish as in beat the main quest), but I'm really loving it. It's almost going to be like, my modern day Fallout 2 - that is, an RPG that I'll replay a bunch with completely different character types (good, evil, various specializations). It's almost a shame this game came out so early, cause now most other games are going to disappoint on some level! But wow, I'm really impressed at what Bethesda's done. This is the best RPG I've played since Planescape: Torment.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
firex said:
Just going by this thread... Maybe I'm lucky with my PC version, but it looks like the 360 version is more prone to bugs/freezes. I've had a couple random crashes, which I think may be a deal with having a lot of speed gear on my assassin I just recently made (seems like sometimes I run by so fast that it screws up with gossip? not sure really, it just seems like it only happens with guards), but never the extent of the freezes/crashes that seem to get mentioned in this thread by most of the 360 players.

Anyway... great game. I'm not sure if I'll ever finish Oblivion (well, finish as in beat the main quest), but I'm really loving it. It's almost going to be like, my modern day Fallout 2 - that is, an RPG that I'll replay a bunch with completely different character types (good, evil, various specializations). It's almost a shame this game came out so early, cause now most other games are going to disappoint on some level! But wow, I'm really impressed at what Bethesda's done. This is the best RPG I've played since Planescape: Torment.

Yer not lucky. I'm running the PC version with a couple dozen mods going, and it's by FAR Bethsoft's most stable game to date. Hell, I've had more crashes on my uber-patched (though also uber-modded) Morrowind, and this is still the very first version of Oblivion, unpatched!

firex

Yeah, I'm also running it with a ton of mods too. Just counted, and I'm running 21 at once! And there's others I could run if I really wanted to. So I guess any crashes I'm having are due to mods and not the actual game itself (since I never got any before I downloaded mods).

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
*sigh* Finally got back into the mages guild and i got (another) DDE, its wierd because as far as i can see theres no scratches the disc.

Kabouter

Mejilan said:
Yer not lucky. I'm running the PC version with a couple dozen mods going, and it's by FAR Bethsoft's most stable game to date. Hell, I've had more crashes on my uber-patched (though also uber-modded) Morrowind, and this is still the very first version of Oblivion, unpatched!

I was also very pleasantly surprised. When I was in the store and had to decide between PC and 360 I almost went for the 360 version because I figured it had to be more stable (it's a console game after all). Thank god I chose the PC version because of the mods. So far I've yet to experience a single crash, I have more than decent graphics (probably about as nice as on the 360) and I get free content in the form of mods too. For a game of it's size Oblivion PC to me is unbelievably bugfree, it's strange they didn't do the same degree of quality control on the 360 version.

Gattsu25

Banned
raYne said:
As was said in the past. Best quests in the game!

Depends...

You get an immediate stat boost as well as night vision and life detection. BUT you have to feed every few days or else you can get burned by the sun. So you have to run for cover everytime that happens. Especially annoying if you're out in the wilderness 'cause there might be no dwellings/dungeons nearby and you can't "wait" or quick travel since you're taking damage. You pretty much have to run around casting restoration spells (or drinking potions) till you find safety.

Also, you can only feed on people if they're sleeping. Meaning, you have to risk feeding on a Guildmate (and getting kicked out if caught?) or you have to break into people's homes at night and feed. In which case, high security skill is a must.

The longer you wait before you feed, the more sun damage you take...after 3 or so days of not feeding...the sun is especially fatal

my character is a vampire right now...pretty much killed my interest in the game...

Mr. Info

Frigin A... I've been trying to get into the Dark Brotherhood since I bought the game. That "Your killing has been observed by forces unknown..." message never appears when I murder someone. Argh.. I don't understand it. Maybe because I had 11 murders when I first started out... Hehe

If anyone could help with this that would be greatly appreciated. I do everything required to get in, but it's just not working. I'm in every faction except the Dark Brotherhood. :(

Oh and for you vamp lovers, there is a mod that lets you buy a special amulet to protect you from the sunlight. Check it out on Gamespot under the Oblivion mods.

EDIT: It wasn't a ring, it was an amulet. http://www.gamespot.com/pages/gamespace/download.php?pid=924363&sid=6147046&mode=mods
There's also another mod that allows you to buy a hood that shields you from the sun as well.
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/gamespace/download.php?pid=924363&sid=6147055&mode=mods

Mashing

Joining the DB is easy. All you have to do is murder someone and then rest in a remote location (not in a city). You'll then get a visit by a DB representative.

Mr. Info said:
Frigin A... I've been trying to get into the Dark Brotherhood since I bought the game. That "Your killing has been observed by forces unknown..." message never appears when I murder someone. Argh.. I don't understand it. Maybe because I had 11 murders when I first started out... Hehe

If anyone could help with this that would be greatly appreciated. I do everything required to get in, but it's just not working. I'm in every faction except the Dark Brotherhood. :(

You may have to be caught for it to count as a murder. I killed a few people in their sleep and noone saw it (my murder count still read 0), I guess the DB didn't either because I never got the 'forces unknown' message until I killed a guard and got a bounty.

Uncle

Confidence Man said:
You may have to be caught for it to count as a murder.

I doubt it. I have three murders on my record and I know one of them happened during the fighter's guild quest line
I went to kill the Blackwood bitches and during the battle I got the "we are peeping on you" message
. I think the other one is Umbra, because a Chorrol guard came to arrest me after I was leaving the dungeon. It got a bit weird after that: the guard fell in to a trap, but the dialogue window opened. I chose not to resist arrest, and I was teleported to the Imperial City, where I appeared to be standing in a line. I waited for a moment wondering wtf was going on. Then as I was beginning to leave, three
mythic dawn agents
went crazy and attacked the imperial guards and got killed. I checked my stats and it read 0 bounty and 0 infamy. I have no idea what the third is.

belgurdo

Banned
Just did the quest where you help
some invisible people
, and for some reason the sisters of the little town's inn-owner decided to talk smack about my heroic efforts. So I cast frenzy on everyone in the town as punishment. >: )

something I've been meaning to ask for a while: Do guards deliberately dole out false charges sometimes? I've had moments where I've frenzied people and it counted as an assault

Speevy

Banned
belgurdo said:
something I've been meaning to ask for a while: Do guards deliberately dole out false charges sometimes? I've had moments where I've frenzied people and it counted as an assault

I've figured out that frenzying too many times or a seen result of your frenzies (i.e. guard sees you cast frenzy, guard sees other NPC kill someone or get killed) is just like you murdered them. You'll notice that after killing one of the "mad" NPCs, the guard will think it's a crime someone else committed.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I know this has probably been asked a bunch of times but I don't want to read the whole thread. Where can I find 5 empty grand soul gems?

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I played Oblivion for the first time yesterday, and spent most of my time killing goblins and then pulling their hands over each others' crotches. I can't wait to get this game.

BuG

Suite Pee said:
I played Oblivion for the first time yesterday, and spent most of my time killing goblins and then pulling their hands over each others' crotches. I can't wait to get this game.
:lol I was just kicking back and occassionally glancing over at my girl playing Oblivion when she was, like, "what the...?" I had forgotten where I'd gone and saved my game and it turns out she found the save state where I was looking at and taking a photo of the horses anus.

BuG

When I save I try and ensure it will produce a nicely framed scenic landscape or something just as good when I look at the save states on loading.

Juice

Alright, I haven't read any of this thread, but I just had a cool little example of the Havok physics engine being the titty monster:

After
killing Glarthir and stealing the key to his house
I was ransacking the house and found an old school scale with coins on the table. I left bumpered the coins to weigh them against each other, and the device responded just as it would.

Blew me the fuck away.

Top Bottom