• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

purg3

slept with Malkin
After 106 hours, I finished all guild quests, most of the npc quests, and the main quest. Im very happy with they way the story turned out through the main quest, but it still leaves a lot up in the air. Im very impressed with the what Bethesda was able to accomplish with Oblivion, and I cant wait for a full on expansion. This will rank up there as one of the best games I have ever played.

So, now that the guilds are finished and the main quest complete, what's left to do? I guess I should get crackin on the master trainer quests and work on maxing all my skills. For those that finished the main quest and guild quests, what are you doing?

GreekWolf

elostyle said:
My problem is that I don't really get any more powerful as I advance in levels with my character (woodelven agent born under the sign of the thief).
Just hang in there, bub. You won't notice much ( if any ) of an improvement in your abilities until your mid-teens. In fact, levels 7-14 are probably the most excruciatingly, hair-pulling difficult levels in the entire game. Everything can pretty much kick your ass, so get accustomed to running and/or reloading quite frequently.

Just stick it out as best you can... and I can guarantee that the payoff will be well worth it.

purgeface said:
After 106 hours, I finished all guild quests, most of the npc quests, and the main quest. Im very happy with they way the story turned out through the main quest, but it still leaves a lot up in the air. Im very impressed with the what Bethesda was able to accomplish with Oblivion, and I cant wait for a full on expansion. This will rank up there as one of the best games I have ever played.

So, now that the guilds are finished and the main quest complete, what's left to do? I guess I should get crackin on the master trainer quests and work on maxing all my skills. For those that finished the main quest and guild quests, what are you doing?

I'm in the same boat as you, although I still have plenty of side quests to complete, so I'm going back and doing those. I've also got some large areas of the map that aren't explored yet. So I'll fill in those gaps and explore some dungeons before I call it done.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
I have a problem, I've been advised before in this thread to make a spell to lower my (100) personality, however I can't make this spell since I only have 50 destruction.

So I want to advance the story but also do all the daedric shrine quests before that, so since I can only lower my personality to 50 or so with wine, does anyone else have even more options of lowering it, so it can get around 20, which is required for one of the quests?

There is creates who damage these attributes, but I don't know where they are found constantly, some have like 'damage' spells or abilities and some of the archers use magical arrows that damage the skill. I've been running aroun with no luck trying to get it damages by some monster (haha, funny thought).

So any tips on what kinds of monsters and where to find those or other ways to lower Personality except for wine and the spellmaking of damage/drain attribute spells?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
elostyle said:
So I'm playing this game too now and man do I have trouble in the beginning of the main quest line when you have to find the count in the castle of that destroyed city. I'm only level 4 or so and don't have any particular great items :(

That's actually not part of the main quest. It's a side quest and is optional. You can progress in the main quest without doing it. It is a cool quest though (but it is also hard!)

raYne

Why can you only lower your personality to 50? Unless you're wearing something with personality fortification, that really shouldn't happen...

Anyhow, why don't you do both? Drink the wine and then use the spells (weakness to magic + drain personality).

Kobold

raYne said:
Why can you only lower your personality to 50? Unless you're wearing something with personality fortification, that really shouldn't happen...

Anyhow, why don't you do both? Drink the wine and then use the spells (weakness to magic + drain personality).
Like I said I don't have those spells and can't make them, and you can only drink 5 or so potions, or have 5 or so the same effects effective on you at the same time. :)

raYne

Kobold said:
Like I said I don't have those spells and can't make them, and you can only drink 5 or so potions, or have 5 or so the same effects effective on you at the same time. :)
That 5 drink limit feels wrong to me.. but I guess you'd know since you're the one trying it. ;)

Uhh.. The Helm of Ferocity (Hammer & Tongs in Skingrad) drains your personality 5 points or so, and there are poisons (Poison of the Fool and Poison of Repulsion) that the Necromancer's carry. These, well the strong version, will lower about 10 points each.

...I guess there's always the Vampire route heh.
If that even works in this case.

JCBossman

Banned
I am a Level 41 high-elf mage, Born under Mage and I only have (I think) 4 Levels to I am maxed out in the Leveling ability(and I only went as far as dropping that dude off at clould Top, did anyone ever do that on horseback without losing your horses, we walked most of the way:lol ) But anyway here are my questions the forced Leveling of enemyies has suddenly not seemed to matter as soon as I got Legendary Heal, and with my skill at Heavy Armor I am all but unkillable, but these are things I need, MOST IMPORTANT MASTER LEVEL Achelemy Gear, I only found one piece, A levate spell, A LONG Soul Trap like 30 sec minimum, A Open Really Hard Lock and Long Water Walk Spell, A way to increase my total Magica as I have destruction school spellls I can't cast and what's up with this POS Aszura Star Soul Gem it can't Hold a Summononed Dromora Lord? and does it get destroyed after using it to recharge?Now basically I am doing the Long tour of all cities before continuing on the main quest because i wan't to get into the Arcane Univerity, what would you charge your armor with, I am thinking Feather and maybe a piece with contiuous light, Does feather stack with armor Mastery? Can you Enchant Items yourself? WTF is up with the Spell Menu as spells seem to be grouped all over the place and it is a PAIN IN THE ASS to find anything. How the hell could anyone close that gate at Kavach? I did it as a level 24 or so character and had a hell of a time, but Since it is early on in the main quest I can see people doing only the main quest getting there as level 3-4, that would be freaken impossible!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
JCBossman said:
I am a Level 41 high-elf mage, Born under Mage and I only have (I think) 4 Levels to I am maxed out in the Leveling ability(and I only went as far as dropping that dude off at clould Top, did anyone ever do that on horseback without losing your horses, we walked most of the way:lol ) But anyway here are my questions the forced Leveling of enemyies has suddenly not seemed to matter as soon as I got Legendary Heal, and with my skill at Heavy Armor I am all but unkillable, but these are things I need, MOST IMPORTANT MASTER LEVEL Achelemy Gear, I only found one piece, A levate spell, A LONG Soul Trap like 30 sec minimum, A Open Really Hard Lock and Long Water Walk Spell, A way to increase my total Magica as I have destruction school spellls I can't cast and what's up with this POS Aszura Star Soul Gem it can't Hold a Summononed Dromora Lord? and does it get destroyed after using it to recharge?Now basically I am doing the Long tour of all cities before continuing on the main quest because i wan't to get into the Arcane Univerity, what would you charge your armor with, I am thinking Feather and maybe a piece with contiuous light, Does feather stack with armor Mastery? Can you Enchant Items yourself? WTF is up with the Spell Menu as spells seem to be grouped all over the place and it is a PAIN IN THE ASS to find anything. How the hell could anyone close that gate at Kavach? I did it as a level 24 or so character and had a hell of a time, but Since it is early on in the main quest I can see people doing only the main quest getting there as level 3-4, that would be freaken impossible!

Wall of ****ing text + what?

o_O

Jonnyram

The "Paranoia" quest was funny. I had to try out the different outcomes too :)
Mage Guild quests have also proven to be quite interesting, and they fill out the NPC background stories really well.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Kobold said:
I have a problem, I've been advised before in this thread to make a spell to lower my (100) personality, however I can't make this spell since I only have 50 destruction.

So I want to advance the story but also do all the daedric shrine quests before that, so since I can only lower my personality to 50 or so with wine, does anyone else have even more options of lowering it, so it can get around 20, which is required for one of the quests?

you're really not going to have any luck getting it damaged by any monsters. Even if they did, it would be much less than whatever you could do to yourself, and wear off very quick. I think you're only route is to combine a "weakness to magicka" spell on your self with a "damage personality" on self (the "weakness to magicka" will serve as a multiplier for the "damage personality"), then drink wine as well. When you combine the two effects you should get low enough.

Edit: if you can't get access to any of those spells, may as well start doing mage's guild quests. You can make most of the spells at a level that works for your character in the arcane university when you get access.

Slayven

Where is the secret door in castle skingrad? The one you have ot go through to meet the count for the vampire cure quest?

raYne

Slayven said:
Where is the secret door in castle skingrad? The one you have ot go through to meet the count for the vampire cure quest?
Did you talk to the steward? She's supposed to lead you to it.

Slayven

raYne said:
Did you talk to the steward? She's supposed to lead you to it.
I did but all she do was lead me ot the brick wall infront of the stairs outside and then nothing. And now when i talk to her all she says is the count is waiting.

JCBossman said:

Umm...yes?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I just headed back to Kvatch as a level 4 and am getting my butt whipped by the imps in the back room after the captain sends you off on your own. Am I supposed to be this weak? And is it true that the enemies all level up along with you (like I read in EGM)?

If true, it means that even if I go back and level up, I'll always get my butt kicked by the little demon imps in that room.

After 15 hours, that's enough to make me quit. If I can't beat those basic enemies after this many hours, what's the point?

VanMardigan said:
I just headed back to Kvatch as a level 4 and am getting my butt whipped by the imps in the back room after the captain sends you off on your own. Am I supposed to be this weak? And is it true that the enemies all level up along with you (like I read in EGM)?

If true, it means that even if I go back and level up, I'll always get my butt kicked by the little demon imps in that room.

After 15 hours, that's enough to make me quit. If I can't beat those basic enemies after this many hours, what's the point?

At fourth level, you aren't suppose to very powerful. Those creatures are meant to be a challenge. Your skills aren't very developed yet, you don't have any decent equipment, and your stats are still fairly low.

It's true that the creatures level up as you do, in order to keep the game a challenge throughout, but don't let it disuade you from playing the game. First of all, your skills will increase at a faster rate than theirs and eventually you will get past them. Of course, that will introduce new creatures, with better equipment, but you'll continue to get better versus all of them.

The key to remember is to always improve your tools: better weapons, armor, and spells, when ever you can. Also, it's important to change up your tactics as you go along. Standing toe to toe with a stronger enemy isn't going to work until you get more powerful, so mix in a summon spell, level your destruction magic to cast a distance spell, or work on your marksmanship. Get creative. Use everything in your arsenal.

If you have questions, post them here, and we'll be happy to help.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Well, I've never played a game of this scope, I was literally blown away, but when I got stuck I figured that I could always level up and come back. Except that it doesn't seem to work that way, so that creatures that I've easily beat before aren't getting any easier and are kicking my butt.

That's counterintuitive to what I thought it would/should be like. I'm thinking, after 15 hours, I should be able to beat an imp. Nope. I've struggled this far, and I'm pretty stunned at my overall lack of progress. I feel like I'm stuck in mud. I kept hitting walls and thinking, "ok, it'll be alright after I get a little more powerful", but it doesn't seem like it'll make a difference when I come back at level 5 and get my ass handed to me again.

*hangs up sword*

I'd say this game is easily the best game I've played on 360, and 15 hours I guess was enough to justify buying it. Too bad about the enemies leveling up. I could've easily spent a lot more time if I felt like I was progressing.

VanMardigan said:
Well, I've never played a game of this scope, I was literally blown away, but when I got stuck I figured that I could always level up and come back. Except that it doesn't seem to work that way, so that creatures that I've easily beat before aren't getting any easier and are kicking my butt.

That's counterintuitive to what I thought it would/should be like. I'm thinking, after 15 hours, I should be able to beat an imp. Nope. I've struggled this far, and I'm pretty stunned at my overall lack of progress. I feel like I'm stuck in mud. I kept hitting walls and thinking, "ok, it'll be alright after I get a little more powerful", but it doesn't seem like it'll make a difference when I come back at level 5 and get my ass handed to me again.

*hangs up sword*

I'd say this game is easily the best game I've played on 360, and 15 hours I guess was enough to justify buying it. Too bad about the enemies leveling up. I could've easily spent a lot more time if I felt like I was progressing.

Don't hang up that sword too quickly. :)

Tell us what kind of character you built. What your major skills are. Perhaps we can make suggestions on how to improve and where you should concentrate your efforts. Are you focusing on the main quest? Doing any side quests? Are you exploring random dungeons and ruins? Have you joined any guilds? What have you been up to in the game. Perahaps we can give you some direction.

Oblivion is an incredibly deep game, and I'd hate to see you give up on it at the beginning when things are just getting started. There is a reason that a lof of us have put in over 100 hours into the game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Bethesda's biggest mistake, IMHO, was leveling just about every aspect of the game. It almost makes your accomplishments feel pointless. This is the reason I set the game (PC version) aside. At least until the mod scene for Oblivion matures a bit. Great progress has been made in undoing the damage, so to speak.

raYne

Slayven said:
I did but all she do was lead me ot the brick wall infront of the stairs outside and then nothing. And now when i talk to her all she says is the count is waiting.
Well it is a secret entrance... If it's one of those walls with vertical metal poles on one or both sides, you're supposed to open the door by pulling the pole.

..if you're still doing this that is.

VanMardigan said:
One thing people fail to realise everytime they complain about the scaling issue is that: Yes, the enemies scale to your level, but that's it. The whole time you're leveling you should be gaining extra skills and better weapons/armor etc.

Even without that, you still get to levels beyond what the npcs can do. Far beyond it. You won't be killing non forest animals in one shot, but once you get to these levels nothing in the game should even come close to defeating you. The only thing is that you won't reach that level within 15 hours... :p

As for your case.. You can always come back after you've leveled (and gained more skills) and finish up. Hell, if you don't want to wait that long you could always just lower the difficulty.

JCBossman

Banned
Ok one question answered, the one about how can you close that Oblivion Gate at Level 4, this guy is talking about coming across IMPS, Hell the only thing I saw on the other side of that gate when I did it at level 24, was Xixum Men and Dromora Lords, with a ton of spyder and Storm Anaocks throw in for good measure, so consider yourself lucky, Load up on Restore healths( the ones you make yourself, not those cheesey 50 point ones, you need to have continuious healing for like 20 secs)
That brings up two questions; I am a master ALchemist (need only one ingreadiant) I make this Combo Restore Fatiuge/Restore Health with a sweet roll and something else, does any one know if you can make a combo restore Fatiuge/Health/ Magica all in one potion, do you have the resipe? Why do they Limit how many you can drink?
Where can I get A Master set of Alchemy Gear?
Where Can I get An Open Very Hard Lock and a good(any) Levate spell?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
firex said:
Try waiting by the waterfront district of the Imperial city.
It's been sorted now, thanks peeps. :)

I did wait in the waterfront for the first message, which seemed to work better than other parts of the city, the character who gives the message frequents that area more. The later ones I waited for in the market, being delivered by
Amusei(sp?), turns out he joined the guild after I saved him from the jail in Leiyawin.
:lol

GhaleonEB

I must say, the Dark Brotherhood quests are turning into a hoot. I just spent the night locked in a house
knocking off the guests one by one. Watching their paranoia rise as the bodies piled up was hilarious. In the end, one of the last two freaked out and killed the other, and I finished him off. Fun stuff! :lol

The next one sounds even better. Assassinate this guard, then cut off his finger and drop it in his replacement's desk. Just plain evil. :D

Slayven

raYne said:
Well it is a secret entrance... If it's one of those walls with vertical metal poles on one or both sides, you're supposed to open the door by pulling the pole.

..if you're still doing this that is.
Thanks will give it a try later.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hell, if you don't want to wait that long you could always just lower the difficulty.

How would I do that? I have the 360 version, is there a difficulty setting on the game I can adjust?

ElyrionX

VanMardigan said:
Hell, if you don't want to wait that long you could always just lower the difficulty.

How would I do that? I have the 360 version, is there a difficulty setting on the game I can adjust?

Wow.

ElyrionX

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Don't hang up that sword too quickly. :)

Tell us what kind of character you built. What your major skills are. Perhaps we can make suggestions on how to improve and where you should concentrate your efforts. Are you focusing on the main quest? Doing any side quests? Are you exploring random dungeons and ruins? Have you joined any guilds? What have you been up to in the game. Perahaps we can give you some direction.

Oblivion is an incredibly deep game, and I'd hate to see you give up on it at the beginning when things are just getting started. There is a reason that a lof of us have put in over 100 hours into the game.

I don't think it's about the quests he's doing. It's about his leveling, which would be really difficult to rectify if he's anywhere above level 15.....

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Typing wow took more effort than "no" and the same as "yes", and it would've been a lot more relevant. I'm at work, just got here, but if everyone is a jerk about it, I'll just check on it when I get home.

edit: I've long ago given up on high scores and playing games for challenge. My precious little gaming time I'd rather enjoy the experience with only a mild challenge. Being married does that to you.

ElyrionX said:
I don't think it's about the quests he's doing. It's about his leveling, which would be really difficult to rectify if he's anywhere above level 15.....

I believe he said he's only level 4. And I asked which quests he's doing and what character type, so that we may be able to give him some advice on how to proceed. For instance, if the character is heavy on melee and leans towards a fighter type, he may want to do the Fighter's Guild Questline, or if he's a magic type, it's definitely worth him to do the Mage's Guild Questline. Those quests are straight forward, easy to get going, and help you build specific sets of skills, will providing some new items and spells. It may help for him to get his feet under him and understand how the game works better, especially since he admitted he's never played anything like this before.

VanMardigan said:
Typing wow took more effort than "no" and the same as "yes", and it would've been a lot more relevant. I'm at work, just got here, but if everyone is a jerk about it, I'll just check on it when I get home.

There is a difficulty slider in the options for the 360. Sliding it to the left will make things easier for you, and you can always come back and adjust it up if things get too easy for you once you have more of a grasp of the game.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Kung Fu Jedi said:
There is a difficulty slider in the options for the 360. Sliding it to the left will make things easier for you, and you can always come back and adjust it up if things get too easy for you once you have more of a grasp of the game.

Thank You

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
VanMardigan said:
edit: I've long ago given up on high scores and playing games for challenge. My precious little gaming time I'd rather enjoy the experience with only a mild challenge. Being married does that to you.

I spent a good 1/3 of my playtime with the difficulty slider a couple of notches down. Getting mauled by bears and mountain lions on the roads between town just wasn't fun. Now I'm at the point where I've got the difficulty level a few notches above the default to preserve the challenge. I really don't get why people think it's shameful to do something like that. The point of games is to be fun.

MMaRsu

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Just keep playing through the Main Quest. You can't miss him! :D

Too bad I dislike the main quest :p. I'll play the game again when I get my 360, pc version kinda sucked on my pc, constant lockups :(

Kobold

VanMardigan said:

I have that slider set a few ticks to easier. Since I found the game no fun reloading every few minutes because I got killed. As if loading doesn't take up 1/10th of the game already.

Now it's perfect, I can pretty much kill every creature without being really threatened too severe, unless they are in a horde. Makes it loads more playable and fun for me.

I really disliked the difficulty before I looked in the options for the slider, I kept getting owned because I have no clue monsters level up more balanced then you do when you don't level up purposely.

After that I started leveling up with more structure, and I got stronger, but not after wasting ten or more levels with only 6 or so points of attribute upgrades per level, instead of the attainable 15. Now I just play for fun running around the world finding items and all the hidden places, so I have no need for difficult combat either. I want to feel strong now, since I'm pretty much done.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That's how I want to play the game. I just want to explore the massive world, dungeons, and meet everyone along the main quest and side quests. It's an amazing experience, but I don't want to spend time reloading after getting beat up again and again (I have been beaten by the Kvatch imps at least 15 straight times).

There is really no need to "purposely" level up. I simply played the game the way that I wanted to, and I've had no problems with the leveling system or creating a character that worked with my play style. I think some people worry too much about the stats, and mechanations going on behind the scenes, and don't just sit back and play the game for the fun of it. Just enjoy and don't worry about leveling stats so you can get a bonus on Strength or Intelligence. It'll all work out in the end.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Kung Fu Jedi said:
There is really no need to "purposely" level up. I simply played the game the way that I wanted to, and I've had no problems with the leveling system or creating a character that worked with my play style. I think some people worry too much about the stats, and mechanations going on behind the scenes, and don't just sit back and play the game for the fun of it. Just enjoy and don't worry about leveling stats so you can get a bonus on Strength or Intelligence. It'll all work out in the end.

QFT - After like level 20-something it really doesn't matter much what level you are, since only a few mobs level with ya, the rest stop leveling. (not sure what level this happens at, it's been a while since I was lower level) After a while, only Goblin Warlords, Gloom Wraiths, and perhaps Ogres will pose any challenge, and even then they aren't hard, just time consuming to kill.

Big Nate said:
QFT - After like level 20-something it really doesn't matter much what level you are, since only a few mobs level with ya, the rest stop leveling. (not sure what level this happens at, it's been a while since I was lower level) After a while, only Goblin Warlords, Gloom Wraiths, and perhaps Ogres will pose any challenge, and even then they aren't hard, just time consuming to kill.

Yep! Which is why the whole "Enemies leveling up with you" thing is so overblown. While they do level up, your character is building much better skills, and acquiring better items, so that the gap actually widens quite a bit after a time. And it's not like things level up with you forever. Eventually you'll pass creatures by and they become no challenge at all.

Last night I was getting hammered on by three ghosts in the "Where the Spirits have Lease" Quest. I was worred for a moment until I looked at my health and realized that they were doing so little damage to me that it wasn't even bringing my health bar down all that much. Given time, you do actually become a very powerful character, and very few things challenge you anymore.

ElyrionX

VanMardigan said:

I've railed against other GAFers for railing against people who ask inane questions but your question simply overwhelmed me.

I mean, COME ON, how hard would it be to explore the goddamn OPTIONS MENU a little bit before posting your question? If someone mentioned that the difficulty can be adjusted, OBVIOUSLY the difficulty can be adjusted.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Hmm...maybe I'll finally spring for some downloadable content!

but probably not!

Man, I don't see how you can resist an epic dungeon with what looks like a killer storyline included. Just reading the lore on the downloads site gets me excited.

Of all the current DLC, I would say the Wizard's Tower is a must own, with the Thieve's Den a close 2nd. Actually, the Thieve's Den is worth the purchase just to read the 4 part diary that comes with it. I guess I'm a Bethesda groupie, but if I end up spending $200 for Oblivion content over time, both in DLC and expansion terms, then I'll still count that as a bargin. Assuming that, I could have instead bought 3 other 360 games, but would they have given me nearly as much enjoyment or playtime. No, says I.

Top Bottom