• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Sumidor

GhaleonEB said:
Okay, I'm hoping someone can help with this bugged quest I'm on. As I described earlier, it's the "Ahdarji's Heirloom" quest, where I need to steal a ring. I'm not going to spoiler tag any of this stuff.

It seems I've got TWO bugs going on at once. The first is that the countess herself is nowhere to be found. It's the 21st of the month so she should be in the castle, but she is not there; she does not sit in her chair, and is not sleeping at night.

The second is that the character I'm supposed to speak to in order to learn her schedule is also missing. She has the unfortunate name of Hlidara Mothril. She's supposed to eat dinner at 8:00pm in the castle - I assume in the dining hall? - but she never shows up. I've gone through three months of game time looking for both, and they are not around.

My map marker is parked on a guard tower in Chorrol. When I go it, it's parked on the door I just came in. Rinse, repeat. It leads nowhere. I've spent about eight hours now trying to get around this apparant bug. Can anyone help?

I had the same exact problem, I just skipped it for awhile, did some other quests and came back to it and it worked fine. But it only worked, because I ran into them in the middle of nowhere on accident.

GhaleonEB

Sumidor said:
I had the same exact problem, I just skipped it for awhile, did some other quests and came back to it and it worked fine. But it only worked, because I ran into them in the middle of nowhere on accident.
So there's hope, I suppose. Trouble is I started this game just to do the Theive's Guild, since I did everything else with my other character. I'll do some dungeons and stuff for a while I suppose.

GhaleonEB

Oh the lengths a man will go to when desperate, and all it takes is blind luck.

I walked, on foot, the road from Layowiin to Chorrol, hoping to find the countess and the Woman With the Unfortunate Name (WWtUN). It took about an hour and a half with my not-so-speedy character and a few minor detours (bandits!). Nada. I fast-travel back to the castle, and check the dining hall at night. Nada. I check the bedroom at midnight. Nada.

I fast-travel to Chorrol to check that stuck map marker for the last time before giving up tonight. It's still there, on the guard tower, so I decide to head in one last time. I go in that direction, get close, and check my map.

It moved! The marker is now on the main castle door. I head in, and it's now on the private quarters on the second story. I break in (hard lock but I've got mad security skillz now) and the marker is on a door at the end of the hall. I go in it, and it's back to the door I just came in. WTF? I go out. Now it's at a different exit, on the other tower. I head down the hall and check the map again.

It moved again! Now it's back to the door I took to get into the private quarters to begin with. I run through the door and find this ugly wench standing there. It's WWtUN! Not sure how the **** she teleported down the hall past me but I don't ask any questions, such as why she's there on the 24th if they are only there from the 15th-17th. I bribe her and get the schedule information quest update. Wooooo! In front of her is the countess. I follow them for a bit and it's clear they are leaving. I fast-travel back to Layawiin and get there at 8:30pm. WWtUN is hosting dinner, just like she's supposed to be! The countess was passed out, just like she was supposed to be! Got the ring, got the 200 gold, off to the next quest tomorrow. Or later today, since it's nearly 2:00 in the ****ing morning.

Woooooooo random bug fixes FTW! Onward!

Glad to hear you got it working. It can be frustraing at times when you have some weird stuff going on like that. Onward with the Thieves Guild quests!

gblues

Banned
Mejilan said:
:lol
I remember how I discovered this by accident. I was in one of those Stone-rich ruins and was pegging some poor bandit with arrows, from a ledge. I missed a shot and knocked one of the stones (which I thought was just a light source) off a wall/ceiling. Needless to say, shooting them all down was crazy fun. :D

What I like is being able to recover 100% of my arrows when fighting ghosts and skeletons because the arrows just bounce off (but still do damage). Finding the arrows after they've ricocheted off the wall/skeleton can be tricky, though.

I just wrapped up the Mages Guild questline.
W00t! Mannimarco! Apparently he's moved on from being holed up in the Illiac Bay. Still, I was a bit disappointed that the questline was completely straightforward without any twists. I was hoping for something cool, like Traven secretly being Mannimarco himself.

BTW, is there any use for the filled black soul gem that has Traven's soul in it, once Mannimarco is dead?

One odd thing that kinda hacks me off is that I have 9 vampire dusts but the guy from the Order of Virtuous Blood won't buy 'em off me. Dunno why.

Nathan

gblues said:
One odd thing that kinda hacks me off is that I have 9 vampire dusts but the guy from the Order of Virtuous Blood won't buy 'em off me. Dunno why.

I have the same problem. They don't even give me the option to sell them. Couldn't figure out why, so I just quit going to them. Odd!

Sysgen

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I have the same problem. They don't even give me the option to sell them. Couldn't figure out why, so I just quit going to them. Odd!

The vampire dust cannot be purchased.

On another note, I've killed a shopkeeper. However the Dark Brotherhood never visits me when I sleep. What am I missing? I'm in the middle of the Thieves and Mages guild quest lines and would also like to do the Dark Brotherhood line as well.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Sysgen said:

On another note, I've killed a shopkeeper. However the Dark Brotherhood never visits me when I sleep. What am I missing? I'm in the middle of the Thieves and Mages guild quest lines and would also like to do the Dark Brotherhood line as well.

I'm not sure if it happens immediately. Once you killed the person, did it say unseen forces have seen what you did or whatever it says?

Sysgen

Dr_Cogent said:
I'm not sure if it happens immediately. Once you killed the person, did it say unseen forces have seen what you did or whatever it says?

No it didn't and I do remember that message with my first character.

Sysgen said:

I'm not trying to purchase them. I'm trying to SELL them, which if you've completed that quest, they tell you to return with Vampire Dust to get a reward, which isn't happening.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Is it me or is the alchemy in the game really useless (now that we're talking about vampire dust)?

I mean.. the only useful potion i ever cooked is the feather one (sacred lotus seeds (i have like 50 of those!) + vernison for 300 feather for 600 seconds).

Anything else = useless... I cant make a damage potion worth a damn, i get better and more health/magic potions doing necromancer dungeons and that's about it.

Mind you that i have a 100 point alchemy skill, because i was after that one ingredient potion, by turns out i can only use the first effect of each ingredient, which turns this skill totally useless on my view.

So, please can somebody explain to my dumb self where's the magic and funnyness in doing potions?

I do need to find some more master equipment for potion brewing, but 3 of them are expert. Only one is Master. Thus, i should be making good potions, but alas, i'm not.

So what am i doing wrong?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Sysgen said:
No it didn't and I do remember that message with my first character.

Now that is odd. It should have said something like that when you killed the merchant.

Do you have a save before that? Or have you tried killing anyone else? I never killed a merchant myself. It was just some really bitchy woman in Bruma.

Sysgen said:
On this subject. If I continue to lace arrows with potions like Burden, does the effect stack on the enemy?

Yes, they stack. I think everything stacks.

Burden seemed to be a waste of time with me. I maxed out my alchemy and found Damage Health to be the best potion of all. I hit them over and over with Damage Healths and they die really quick.

drizzle said:
Is it me or is the alchemy in the game really useless (now that we're talking about vampire dust)?

It's you.

Seriously, I haven't done much with alchemy myself, but the players in this tread who have maxed it out, would totally beg to differ with you. You can cook up all kinds of potions and poisons to aid you, plus it's the fastest way to make money once you get going.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Seriously, I haven't done much with alchemy myself, but the players in this tread who have maxed it out, would totally beg to differ with you. You can cook up all kinds of potions and poisons to aid you, plus it's the fastest way to make money once you get going.

Oh, don't get me wrong - the money making potential is there. I have 300k gold and i have no idea where it came from - must have been from selling those 80 fatigue potions every time i went home and made lots and lots of potions...

Reading the wiki i've found some potions that they say re the most powerful whatever in oblivion, dealing over 1000 damage in one hit. I'll try to make them later, but still, opening hte menu to apply them to the weapons every time is kinda tedious. (unloess i can put them on the shortcut keys... i never though of that)

Besides, it's a sneak driven attribute... i don't sneak much.. :(

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Kung Fu Jedi said:
It's you.

This is totally true. I maxed out Alchemy early on and managed to get Master level equipment with a little exploration, and let me tell ya, there are some nice potions. Just for example:

- "Light" potions that last a very long time and go out to a radius far greater than the best permanently enchanted item can.

- "Shield" potions that allow you to run around with no armor on and still take abuse.

- "Detect Life" potions that have an unholy radius and lasting effect. It's fun knowing the locations of most monsters in a dungeon upon entering it.

Those are just a few off my head that I use all the time. Alchemy really pays good dividends when you get to the upper levels.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I've tried to convince Kung Fu to go down the alchemy route, but he's told me he doesn't need it and I believe him. It may be more useful for certain characters and less for others.

Alchemy is a great way to help your character out. Slicing an enemy with multiple damage healths is a great way to take them down. Alchemy is also a great way to replenish your Magika or Health - or go Chameleon. There are a lot of options.

bengraven

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm not trying to purchase them. I'm trying to SELL them, which if you've completed that quest, they tell you to return with Vampire Dust to get a reward, which isn't happening.

Is he just telling you to go out and kill vampires, even though you have VD is your inventory? Me, too! This is frustrating, so I just started selling them. I don't really need the money, anyway, but 250 drakes would have been nice for the 50 or so I have lying around.

GhaleonEB said:
Ghaleon's post

That's awesome! I hate those random glitches that fix earlier glitches, but it's better than not getting 100% of the way through the game. Congrats!

Sysgen

It's just way cool when you've put in an excess of 200 hours into this game and find or discover new things. I did the Ninroot quest the 1st time around but only realized on my second time through the game that the roots give off a magical tone. I guess I heard it the first time but never made the association.

bengraven

Sysgen said:
It's just way cool when you've put in an excess of 200 hours into this game and find or discover new things. I did the Ninroot quest the 1st time around but only realized on my second time through the game that the roots give off a magical tone. I guess I heard it the first time but never made the association.

I need to go seek out my last 20 Nirnroots. I'm not going to go for every one of them, just enough to finish the quest. The first three potions were easy, but now I'm having a harder time just stumbling upon Roots. I need to just follow large bodies of water!

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
How does one use poison or damage health potions to begin with? Kinda afraid to just click on them as if I wanted to consume them...

bengraven

elostyle said:
How does one use poison or damage health potions to begin with? Kinda afraid to just click on them as if I wanted to consume them...

I'm pretty sure Damage Health will damage your health, but clicking a poison will simply ask you if you want to poison your equiped weapon.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
elostyle said:

If it's a poison (all negative effects, green bottle, turned the other way), when you click it, it will ask if you want to apply to your weapon. If you say no, it sits on your inventory. If you click yes, the next attack will have the effects of that potion.

If it's a spoiled potion (regular icon, at lest one good effect), if you click it, you will drink it.

bengraven said:
I need to go seek out my last 20 Nirnroots. I'm not going to go for every one of them, just enough to finish the quest. The first three potions were easy, but now I'm having a harder time just stumbling upon Roots. I need to just follow large bodies of water!

I found that Ninroot quest to be sooo annoying. I don't actively seek them out at all now, but if I come across one I snag it. The first couple of potions weren't that impressive, and I got tired of the, "OK! Now we need 20 more ninroots" thing pretty fast. Probably the most annoying quest in the game for me, but then again, I've never become a vampire nor been kicked out of the Mage's Guild! :D

GhaleonEB

Dr_Cogent said:
I've tried to convince Kung Fu to go down the alchemy route, but he's told me he doesn't need it and I believe him. It may be more useful for certain characters and less for others.

Alchemy is a great way to help your character out. Slicing an enemy with multiple damage healths is a great way to take them down. Alchemy is also a great way to replenish your Magika or Health - or go Chameleon. There are a lot of options.
I pretty much ignored it on my last character, but now that I"m going the archer route it's essential. Though, I only make damage health and healing potions for now. As soon as I can do other kinds of damage I will, and start running into spell casters I'll be using silence as well.

I didn't know the poison stacked, though. Time to try that out!

bengraven

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I found that Ninroot quest to be sooo annoying. I don't actively seek them out at all now, but if I come across one I snag it. The first couple of potions weren't that impressive, and I got tired of the, "OK! Now we need 20 more ninroots" thing pretty fast. Probably the most annoying quest in the game for me, but then again, I've never become a vampire nor been kicked out of the Mage's Guild! :D

I just want to finish the quest! I won't start another character until my quest list is empty. But yeah, I never actually looked for them; they just appeared when I was running around, robbing houses, swimming in caves even...but now they have all disappeared.

Being a vampire is kind of cool, but I did the cure quest about a half an hour after becoming one. Just because I couldn't see myself having to micro-manage the time of day and my physical appearance. Maybe I'll become one again after I get those last two achievements.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
GhaleonEB said:
As soon as I can do other kinds of damage I will, and start running into spell casters I'll be using silence as well.

Yeah, what's the point of using a silence potion on your arrow when it silences the target for 6 seconds?

It will usually take 3 seconds for me to get to the target, and i wont kill it in the next 3 seconds. I find it easier just to dodge the damn lighting bolts, and then proceed to beat the necromancer senseless with my Thermal Shock daedric mace that does 10 fire and 10 frost damage.

Unless you max alchemy really early in the game, i don't see much use for potions, other than for helper potions (like feather, shield, chameleon, fortify something).

The damaging potions (or poisons) are really lacking, the way i see it.

GhaleonEB

drizzle said:
Yeah, what's the point of using a silence potion on your arrow when it silences the target for 6 seconds?

It will usually take 3 seconds for me to get to the target, and i wont kill it in the next 3 seconds. I find it easier just to dodge the damn lighting bolts, and then proceed to beat the necromancer senseless with my Thermal Shock daedric mace that does 10 fire and 10 frost damage.

Unless you max alchemy really early in the game, i don't see much use for potions, other than for helper potions (like feather, shield, chameleon, fortify something).

Well, I have alchemy up so I can see three effects and my silence poisons work for 13 seconds right now. Enough time to take them out since they usually have pretty weak defense. Also, one tactic I use on them is nail'em with a surprise arrow poisoned with silence, then rush'em with my melee. Necromancers and such tend to suck at melee combat and go down fast without any magic to help them.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
drizzle said:

I don't know about that. I never run out of health, fatigue, or magicka in a major battle because of my alchemy potions. I don't even have to worry about it. Best example I can think of was storming the castle at Kvatch. I did it at a high level, so it was loaded with the hardest Deadra (storm atronarchs, spider daedra, deadroths, xivilia, liches, etc), and I barely broke a sweat because my restore potions were giving me 20 health or so every second for a very long time. As a melee character it just makes a huge difference, especially the easily made and cheap restore fatigue potions. Compare how much damage you do at full fatigue with a power swing to how much you do with empty fatigue - you'll be surprised at how much of a difference it makes.

drizzle said:

Like I said earlier, I'm not an alchemy person at all, but I recongize the value of it, and the examples that other people are giving you should tell you that it can be a very valuable skill.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So I finally borrowed Oblivion off my brother and installed this cursed game.

About 3 hours in.. it's going ok I suppose. Stealing the horse off the guard outside the city and running off was probably the biggest highlight of those 3 hours though :lol

speedpop said:

About 3 hours in.. it's going ok I suppose. Stealing the horse off the guard outside the city and running off was probably the biggest highlight of those 3 hours though :lol

:lol

Was the first thing, I tried, too.

speedpop said:

The first few hours can be kind of overwhelming. There is so much to see and do and you get the main quest dropped on your away, but then there are all these side quests that pop up and it can really be tough to decide what to do or where to go. I found that the game gets much better after about 10 hours or so, because at that point you have a handle on everything that's going on, you've probably leveled a time or two, and your getting the feeling of the character you are playing. Then, it gets really good. :D

JCBossman

Banned
I think Alchemy is fantastic, compare a Strong healing potion that you find to a RESTORE HEALTH, the strong Healing gives you a one time hundred point shot, the restore Health gives me a 13 points for 42 sec. thats like 500 points and more of healing plus I can combine it with a restore fatigue and get a double wammie. Although some potions/spells border IMHO on cheating, like paralyze THAT SPELL is way to powerful I can freeze people for like 15 seconds along with the time it takes them to fall down/ get back up they usually don't.

P.S. I need a way to permemately increase my magica, I got spells I can't cast because they take close to 400, and I am at 350, but I can't seem to enchant items with that effect? Any Ideas? I HAD a Sigil Stone that would have done 50 for a piece of Armor, but I ****ed Up and wasted it on a sword.

GhaleonEB

JCBossman said:
I think Alchemy is fantastic, compare a Strong healing potion that you find to a RESTORE HEALTH, the strong Healing gives you a one time hundred point shot, the restore Health gives me a 13 points for 42 sec. thats like 500 points and more of healing plus I can combine it with a restore fatigue and get a double wammie. Although some potions/spells border IMHO on cheating, like paralyze THAT SPELL is way to powerful I can freeze people for like 15 seconds along with the time it takes them to fall down/ get back up they usually don't.

P.S. I need a way to permemately increase my magica, I got spells I can't cast because they take close to 400, and I am at 350, but I can't seem to enchant items with that effect? Any Ideas? I HAD a Sigil Stone that would have done 50 for a piece of Armor, but I ****ed Up and wasted it on a sword.
Boost your Intelligence or Wisdom - I can't remember which - to increase your Magika total. Also, the higher the skill you have in each magic field, the lower the magika cost to cast the spell (ie a Destruction spell at level 25 costs 100 points, but at level 50 costs 60 points, etc.)

bengraven

140 hours plus, I finally beat the game, all 50 achievements.

Ending spoiler:
Am I the only one left with a sense of dread at the end? The third age is finished, Tamriel will have to find a new Emporer. It feels somewhat like the end of the film version of LotR, where everything is finished and you should just go home and rest, yet unlike LotR, there's still so much left to do. I don't know, the ending was short, I could have used a bit more. Maybe even a few more lines from dead Martin. Maybe Jauffre could come back from the dead... :lol

I still have trainer quests to do, which are not really true quests, but since they show up in my quest folder, I consider them such. A few Daedra quests and The Collector. And there are still a couple of misc. quests to do, like the invisible village. Still so much left, but somehow it all feels finished...I feel like I'm simply cleaning up after a party and everyone's gone.

bengraven said:
140 hours plus, I finally beat the game, all 50 achievements.

Ending spoiler:
Am I the only one left with a sense of dread at the end? The third age is finished, Tamriel will have to find a new Emporer. It feels somewhat like the end of the film version of LotR, where everything is finished and you should just go home and rest, yet unlike LotR, there's still so much left to do. I don't know, the ending was short, I could have used a bit more. Maybe even a few more lines from dead Martin. Maybe Jauffre could come back from the dead... :lol

I still have trainer quests to do, which are not really true quests, but since they show up in my quest folder, I consider them such. A few Daedra quests and The Collector. And there are still a couple of misc. quests to do, like the invisible village. Still so much left, but somehow it all feels finished...I feel like I'm simply cleaning up after a party and everyone's gone.

Yeah, the ending was very cool, and did have a LOTR vibe to it a bit, with the ending of the age. But where as in the LOTR, you knew it was to be a new, golden age. Here, you get the feeling it's going to be a Dark Age. Can't wait to see it either! :D

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, the ending was very cool, and did have a LOTR vibe to it a bit, with the ending of the age. But where as in the LOTR, you knew it was to be a new, golden age. Here, you get the feeling it's going to be a Dark Age. Can't wait to see it either! :D
Speaking of which. Towards the end of my game lots of people started talking about rumors that
different provincens were considering seceding from the Empire.
Is this a reference to past ES games? If not I can see that being a starting point for an expansion.

GhaleonEB said:
Speaking of which. Towards the end of my game lots of people started talking about rumors that
different provincens were considering seceding from the Empire.
Is this a reference to past ES games? If not I can see that being a starting point for an expansion.

Hmm...interesting. Hadn't heard anyone say that. I'll have to start talking to people again. :) Don't think it's a reference to past games. Could be a sign of things to come.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Hmm...interesting. Hadn't heard anyone say that. I'll have to start talking to people again. :) Don't think it's a reference to past games. Could be a sign of things to come.
After I beat the main quest, guards and lots of town people were saying that for their "rumor" dialogue option. Ask around the capital city in your game.

GhaleonEB said:
After I beat the main quest, guards and lots of town people were saying that for their "rumor" dialogue option. Ask around the capital city in your game.

Yeah, I'll have to do that. It has to be a hint of expansions or the next Elder Scrolls Game.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
GhaleonEB said:

if you stop to just overhear people talking during the regular course of hte game, they mention problems in Morrowind AND problems in Skyrim. I don't spend too much time down in Lleyawin or Bravil, so they might talk about Elsewyr and the other provinces too, I just wouldn't know. I assumed that they were hinting at something like that, but that's just a guess of mine.

Core407 said:
Here's a better hint: The game sold over 1.7 million copies. :lol

Oh, I think it's pretty clear we'll see expansions, probably with Horse Armor included! I just meant that it was a hint at what will happen in those expansions or, as I said, possibly in the next full game.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I'm getting owned so badly... all the monsters keep outleveling me because I keep getting levels because of my jumping around, lockpicking, sneaking and talking to people. That all doesn't help me with the monsters though ;_;

GhaleonEB

What would a rat do with a spoon?

elostyle said:
I'm getting owned so badly... all the monsters keep outleveling me because I keep getting levels because of my jumping around, lockpicking, sneaking and talking to people. That all doesn't help me with the monsters though ;_;
I just had that happen to me. My sneak and mysticism leveled me several times. Then mountain lions showed up. ****************...

GhaleonEB said:
What would a rat do with a spoon?

I just had that happen to me. My sneak and mysticism leveled me several times. Then mountain lions showed up. ****************...

Yeah, the first time you encounter a mountain lion can be a harsh reminder that you're really not as tough as you think you are. :lol

Top Bottom