• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, the first time you encounter a mountain lion can be a harsh reminder that you're really not as tough as you think you are. :lol
Well I don't even consider myself tough because all I'm good at is jumping and stealing shit :lol

However, now I can barely traverse the outdoors anymore without getting ripped to shreds by invisible "somethings" :(

elostyle said:
Well I don't even consider myself tough because all I'm good at is jumping and stealing shit :lol

However, now I can barely traverse the outdoors anymore without getting ripped to shreds by invisible "somethings" :(

Those invisible creatures are part of a quest, and can be fairly annoying if you're not strong enough. I suggest you try a couple of things.

1. Concentrage on improving your combat skills, use your blade/bow/destruction magic a lot to improve things, even if it means attacking lowly rats and mudcrabs in the city sewers. (Just beware the Vampires! ;) )

2. Turn down the difficulty slider a few notches to give yourself more of a chance. At least until you get those skills built up some.

3. Buy a good summon spell so you can get something to attack with you. Two weapons are better than one in combat, plus it's nice to use your summoned creature as a "human" shield. Pick up a Summon Skeleton spell to get things started and move up from there.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Those invisible creatures are part of a quest, and can be fairly annoying if you're not strong enough. I suggest you try a couple of things.

1. Concentrage on improving your combat skills, use your blade/bow/destruction magic a lot to improve things, even if it means attacking lowly rats and mudcrabs in the city sewers. (Just beware the Vampires! ;) )

2. Turn down the difficulty slider a few notches to give yourself more of a chance. At least until you get those skills built up some.

3. Buy a good summon spell so you can get something to attack with you. Two weapons are better than one in combat, plus it's nice to use your summoned creature as a "human" shield. Pick up a Summon Skeleton spell to get things started and move up from there.
I am actually quite good with the bow, basically every enemy is like a boss in a FPS for me - got to run backwards all the time ;)

elostyle said:
I am actually quite good with the bow, basically every enemy is like a boss in a FPS for me - got to run backwards all the time ;)

Then summoning another creature should work out great for you. Also, have you improved your weapons? Have you upgraded both your bow and your arrows? Are you using any poisons to improve the amount of damage you're doing?

Ok, had some serious fun with the game today, which I'd taken a break from after closing out all the achievements and major questlines.

So, I was in Chorrol selling off stuff, checking in on the fighters guild, etc. when I see Earana poking around the town square. Now way back when I did the Mage's Guild Questline I elected to not help her, and since then, she's been a real bitch to me. Now that I"m Arch-Mage, I figure it's time she pays for her crimes anyway, and I decide I'm going to kill her. So, I wait around to follow her home, but she never does. I get the bright idea of slipping on the Gray Cowl of Nocturnal, which I've never used before, and suddenly I'm beset with guards. A huge fight ensues, and I'm actually fighting for my life, which doesn't happen much in the game any more. The battle rages on for awhile, but eventually, I come out on top, and continue my pursuit of Earana. First,I talk to a guy from the Fighter's Guild who is impressed to meet the Grey Fox. But then, I find her just off the town square and go after her. She runs and picks up a weapon to defend herself with. The fighters guild guy and I proceed to beat on her, but she turns invisible and flees toward the castle, where more guards enter the frey. Before too long, another four or five guards lay dead, and I finish off Earana, and loot her corpse. :) I find my Fighter's Guild friend just inside the main gate of the castle in Chorrol, but now he's not wearing anything. :lol

So, after that I fast travel back to the Imperial City to finish up a quest I was working on. I have to wait in the merchant district until morning, and right after I finish waiting, I'm attacked by someone named Audens Avidius, whom I recognize, but can't remember. Within seconds there are guards and towns people beating the shit out of him, and I barely have to do anything. I loot his corpse, and find a note that reminds me that he is the corrupt guard I sent to prison. Seems he escaped using the same tunnel I did at the beginning of the game, and game looking for revenge. Poor chap! :lol

Great stuff. The game that keeps on giving! :D

Having no internet for a week led me to start playing oblivion again. Found a ring worth a little over 21k gold :lol can't remember the stats off the top of my head, magic resistance related will check later.

MrPing1000 said:
Having no internet for a week led me to start playing oblivion again. Found a ring worth a little over 21k gold :lol can't remember the stats off the top of my head, magic resistance related will check later.

Probably a Mundane Ring. The most valuable item, in terms of gold, in the game I believe. I've come across several of them.

bengraven

Confidence Man said:
For all the PC friends, Open Cities Complete has just been released. This mod makes all the cities (except the IC and Kvatch) a part of the main world, so you can just walk in and out without any loads.

I feel bad for those people's framerates, however. :lol

Okay, so I did the final Daedric quest and there's a feeling of closure, so I decide to start a new game and create a Breton female. But my god, it's hard to make an attractive female.

bengraven said:
I feel bad for those people's framerates, however. :lol

Okay, so I did the final Daedric quest and there's a feeling of closure, so I decide to start a new game and create a Breton female. But my god, it's hard to make an attractive female.

It's not so bad, actually. Some cities are worse than others, but generally you get a similar framerate to what you would get anywhere else.

And if you really need the fps, try low-poly grass. This changes the grass clump model from a grid of transparencies to a simple cross. It doesn't look quite as good but the improvement is pretty drastic.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Probably a Mundane Ring. The most valuable item, in terms of gold, in the game I believe. I've come across several of them.

yep it is magic resistance of 50% and a spell reflection of 35%. Doubly awesome coupled with being a Breton.

Sumidor

WElll... I finally figured out why some of us can't equip stuff and get that "Cannot equip this item at the moment" saying. It's because somehow I accidently did the permanant status attribute with it.

Sumidor said:
WElll... I finally figured out why some of us can't equip stuff and get that "Cannot equip this item at the moment" saying. It's because somehow I accidently did the permanant status attribute with it.

Huh? What does this mean? I understand the inability to equip items, but I have no idea what "I accidently did the permanant status attribute with it." means.

raYne

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Huh? What does this mean? I understand the inability to equip items, but I have no idea what "I accidently did the permanant status attribute with it." means.
It's sorta like the infinite arrows glitch, but in this case you keep the stat boosts gained from magical items (a necklace for example) while giving you the ability to put on another necklace for even more power gain.

On a side note, I go outa town for 2 weeks and you guys still aren't up to 10k? WTF GAF!

I place the blame on you and you alone Kung Fu Jedi.

bengraven

I found a cool way to get as many arrows as you need that doesn't take too much time when you first start the game. I actually figured this out in my last game, but I'm actually using it to help myself out in the beginning.

Just go to a Fighter's Guild in the morning. Someone is usually outside/inside at the archery range in the wee hours. Stand off to the side, but close to the target as they shoot arrows and when they stop to go collect the arrows, collect them all yourself. The person will turn around, draw his bow, and begin again. And it doesn't count as stealing for some reason (likely because they're already spent).

bengraven said:
I found a cool way to get as many arrows as you need that doesn't take too much time when you first start the game. I actually figured this out in my last game, but I'm actually using it to help myself out in the beginning.

Just go to a Fighter's Guild in the morning. Someone is usually outside/inside at the archery range in the wee hours. Stand off to the side, but close to the target as they shoot arrows and when they stop to go collect the arrows, collect them all yourself. The person will turn around, draw his bow, and begin again. And it doesn't count as stealing for some reason (likely because they're already spent).

What type of arrows? I'm assuming they are pretty low quality. For some reason, I've never had any issues with arrows. I've literally have hundreds of decent arrows stored up in my home. Right now I'm hauling about 250 Elven arrows around, but I know I've got truck loads of other kinds in storage.

raYne

Wouldn't be surprised if it was some low-end arrows.

I have so many different types of arrows (the high stats help as well ;) ) that I just use whichever matches my outfit... :lol

Even though they're pretty middleground when it comes to damage, I usually use Elven arrows as well. I have a nice red/gold theme going on with my character.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
What type of arrows? I'm assuming they are pretty low quality. For some reason, I've never had any issues with arrows. I've literally have hundreds of decent arrows stored up in my home. Right now I'm hauling about 250 Elven arrows around, but I know I've got truck loads of other kinds in storage.
Usually just iron arrows. And at the beginning of the game, selling arrows was something I did if I wanted some quick cash. You have 100 arrows? now you have 100 gold. so awesome

raYne said:
Wouldn't be surprised if it was some low-end arrows.

I have so many different types of arrows that I just use whichever matches my outfit... :lol

Even though they're pretty middleground when it comes to damage, I usually use Elven arrows as well. I have a nice red/gold theme going on with my character.

I like that they are light weight. I think Elven and Dwarven arrows do the same amount of damage, but the Elven ones weigh less when carrying them around. I usually just use the ones I am carrying until I run low, and then the next time I'm at my house, I'll pull out the next batch of decent arrows.

Doing my part to DRAG this thread to 10k!

Dr_Cogent

Banned
raYne said:
It's sorta like the infinite arrows glitch, but in this case you keep the stat boosts gained from magical items (a necklace for example) while giving you the ability to put on another necklace for even more power gain.

:lol You cheater!

:lol

I must admit to using the dupe cheat though. :lol. When I start cheating in a game is when you know I am beginning to get bored with it. I usually never cheat.

raYne

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I like that they are light weight. I think Elven and Dwarven arrows do the same amount of damage, but the Elven ones weigh less when carrying them around.
Yeah, that and I love the design. Design is the reason why I refuse to use the Dwarven arrows. I hate that forked head design with a passion.

I think the Dwarven type does more damage than the former, but I'm not totally sure about that since I never use 'em.

Dr_Cogent said:
:lol You cheater!

I must admit to using the dupe cheat though. :lol. When I start cheating in a game is when you know I am beginning to get bored with it. I usually never cheat.
Mwah? I never cheat *bats eyelashes*

Well.. there was the "infinite money by mounted horse weapon sales" glitch that I used once, but I never used it since. Partly because I got half a million out of it the first time.... :lol!

But I never used any cheats after that, I just keep track of them. ;)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think the Arena is the most exhilirating part of the game. Every time I head up to the ring to face a new opponent, and the announcer starts talking, I feel an adrenaline rush. I can't believe I waiter over 25 hours before I tried it for the first time.

Wolffen

Has anyone else done the Sunken One quest? I seem to have stumbled onto my first bugged quest (luckily a minor one). I was wondering the country-side, just seeing what all I could find, and stumbled onto an empty farmhouse. I get a quest notice saying I should look for clues. I look around, don't see anything after 5 minutes of looking, so I decide to just come back to it later.

Well, later was much, much later in game time. At least 3 weeks to a month. I was determined to level up my armorer skill so I could fix my magic items, so I would fight in regular glass armor in the arena and let the Minotaurs whack the shit out of me and keep healing myself until all my armor was broken and I could go on a repair binge. Then I'd wait a week of game time while the Arena looked for more beasties for me to kill, and I'd do the same thing.

Well, I finally decide to go back to the quest. This time I found the tiny scrap of paper that tells me where to go next. I follow along, and find the next scrap of paper
in the dungeon/cave. I wander to the next part of the cave. Find the bag with the gems for the Sunken One, but no note or anything. The quest pointer is pointing just to the side of the bag, but there's nothing there but a bunch of blood stains. I did some digging through the official strategy guide and found that there should be a body there with another note. Well, there's no body.

So now what? Any ideas? I've tried the usual "do another quest and check back later" but I think I'm screwed. Luckily this is a minor little quest.

raYne

Wolffen said:
Has anyone else done the Sunken One quest?
*snip*

While inside the cave you're supposed to find a
page from the diary behind a chest
. After that you should head through the wooden door and find a body in the cave etc.

Wolffen

Did that.
I've got two pages from his diary, but the third is supposed to be on his body by loot bag, right? I'll double-check that I got the that scrap of paper though...

raYne

Yeah, the 3rd page should be on his body. Finding that should ending the quest as well.

If not, I don't think it's screwed up because of something you've done... even though I'm not totally sure if you'd be able to find the body during regular adventuring. The quest should only progress as you do things, so there shouldn't be an opportunity to skip ahead and do something you weren't supposed to.

Don't think I've ever heard of this quest being bugged... *shrug*

So with Oblivion coming out so early in the 360's life span, and now that most of us have pretty much beaten it and explored it to death, how long do you think it'll be before we gat a full on expansion?

I think about the long wait we have until Elder Scrolls V and it makes me weep! ;)

Kung Fu Jedi said:
So with Oblivion coming out so early in the 360's life span, and now that most of us have pretty much beaten it and explored it to death, how long do you think it'll be before we gat a full on expansion?

I think about the long wait we have until Elder Scrolls V and it makes me weep! ;)

if you do get one, good luck with that. the more i played, the more bugs i found. the game became intollerable. so i sold it for 35 bucks to EB FTW!! :lol :lol

i hated the way it messed up the cache constantly and even forced me to re-format my HD to just play it!!

The bugs and long load times ruined my experience, and with much better games like Table Tennis and GRAW (and now my pre-paid Splinter Cell this fall), I could not bring myself to even care about it anymore or in future.

They made you work WAY too hard to level up in that game. Even WoW whores told me it is easier to level up in that MMORPG. I got better things to do with my time, like sneak around and break terrorists necks.

I am so glad I don't have to level up or train Sam Fisher for crying out loud....

Mr Furious said:
if you do get one, good luck with that. the more i played, the more bugs i found. the game became intollerable. so i sold it for 35 bucks to EB FTW!! :lol :lol

i hated the way it messed up the cache constantly and even forced me to re-format my HD to just play it!!

The bugs and long load times ruined my experience, and with much better games like Table Tennis and GRAW (and now my pre-paid Splinter Cell this fall), I could not bring myself to even care about it anymore or in future.

They made you work WAY too hard to level up in that game. Even WoW whores told me it is easier to level up in that MMORPG. I got better things to do with my time, like sneak around and break terrorists necks.

I am so glad I don't have to level up or train Sam Fisher for crying out loud....

Umm...great. So not an RPG fan huh? :lol Seriously, that's what RPG's are all about, levelling up and building your character. I love Splinter Cell too, but it's a night and day different game. I didn't have any problems advancing my character.

As for the technical issues, we've talked about them to death in here. The patch fixed a lot of them though, and the framerate increase was great. An expansion would build on that, and as in the expansions for Morrowind, they would probably improve the game.

As I've stated in my other posts, I probably had the game crash on me around five times total, and I've had one bugged quest out of my 150+ hours of game play.

GhaleonEB

I'm finding being nearly exclusively an archer is going better than I thought it would. I'm level 16 and my Marksman skill is over 60, Blade about 32 (started at 25). It took me a little while to get the right combination down to make it work, but I had an idea what to do from the onset.

1) Get into the Arcane University FIRST. Bows need the enchantment early for the extra damage.

2) Level the Agility skill fast.

3) Use damage health poisons. What I did not know until recently is that they stack (thanks to this thread!). Before that I would tag someone with one shot poisoned and then use regular shots. Now, depending on how powerful the enemy is, I hit them with 2-3 poisons and just one or two extra shots, then backpedal and watch the health drop like a rock. I just cleared the first few ranks of the Arena doing this; one guy died before he even got to me (tagged him with three arrows, all poisoned). Nothing like hearing smack talk, followed immidiately with "Aaarrrrrgggghhhh....." as they collapse from the poison. :lol

4) Use Conjuration as a distraction/aide. The only, literally only, creature that I absolutely cannot battle head on are mountain lions. They're too fast and powerful, and they are too low to the ground to see very well enough to tag with arrows fast enough when they are charging. What I do is hide on a rock they can't climb and send a parade of summoned creatures down to them. Sometimes it takes a while, but it works. I had THREE mountain lions on me at once yesterday. :(

I now have one bow enchanted with 30pts fire damage and 1 second of Soul Trap, which works out really well for capturing creatures.

Question: I'd like to start creating, carrying and using Black Soul Gems (for enchanting). I read on another site that you can get into trouble carrying those around the Mage's Guild, as it's evidence of Necromancy. Is that true?

I've stolen over 1,800 items. :D

GhaleonEB said:
Question: I'd like to start creating, carrying and using Black Soul Gems (for enchanting). I read on another site that you can get into trouble carrying those around the Mage's Guild, as it's evidence of Necromancy. Is that true?

I hadn't heard this, and I believe I've got a black soul gem or two still in my inventory, and I've been to the Arcane University plenty of times. Anyone else know if this is an issue?

Another question: I accidently stole something from the mage's guild and they kicked me out. I didn't know if its easy to get back in, so I just restarted from my last save. So, is it easy to get back in (like paying a fine) or is it much more difficult?

siamesedreamer said:
Another question: I accidently stole something from the mage's guild and they kicked me out. I didn't know if its easy to get back in, so I just restarted from my last save. So, is it easy to get back in (like paying a fine) or is it much more difficult?

Not easy. Long, boring, collection quest from what I've heard. Haven't had it happen to me though. It's a great quest
if you like to pick flowers!

GhaleonEB

siamesedreamer said:
Repeat after me:

Do not get kicked out of the Mage's Guild.

Do. Not. Get. Kicked. Out. Of. The. Mage's. Guild.

You have to go and collect 20 each of two different kinds of VERY RARE and hard to find flowers. Took me 20 hours.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I hadn't heard this, and I believe I've got a black soul gem or two still in my inventory, and I've been to the Arcane University plenty of times. Anyone else know if this is an issue?
BTW, here's where I read it:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Enchanting#Soul_Trapping

Having Black Soul Gems in your possession will be considered evidence that you practice Necromancy. Although Necromancy is not illegal in Cyrodiil, the Mages Guild has banned Necromancy from the guild. Therefore, carrying Black Soul Gems may have negative consequences.

GhaleonEB

siamesedreamer said:

Good man. Seriously, it took me over twenty hours (human hours, not game hours) to get back in. To pick flowers. Worst. Quest. Ever.

Nerevar said:
if you stop to just overhear people talking during the regular course of hte game, they mention problems in Morrowind AND problems in Skyrim. I don't spend too much time down in Lleyawin or Bravil, so they might talk about Elsewyr and the other provinces too, I just wouldn't know. I assumed that they were hinting at something like that, but that's just a guess of mine.

I've heard the thing about the Nerevarine leaving Vvardenfell. Are there any more rumors that relate to Morrowind? I figure you'd be the guy who knows.

More DLC up this Thursday:

Vile Lair

This underwater hideout provides your infamous character with safe haven. Those willingly inflicted (or shall we say graced?) with vampirism will find a means to feed, and if necessary, a means to cure their infliction. Hire evil minions, pray to the dark god Sithis, and a host of other functions await.

Features:

* A multilevel lair for murderous players to find refuge

* The Font of Renewal, where a player may purge himself of Vampirism

* The Shrine of Sithis where the infamous player may heal and be cured of disease

* A Dark Minion, who the player may employ to find gold in a most unseemly manner

* A 'cattle pen' for vampires to dine

* An indoor garden of venomous plants, including the notorious

* Chokeberry to feed to your enemy

* Various furnishing upgrades, including a study room and storage area

http://obliviondownloads.com/Coming_Soon_DLC5.aspx

gblues

Banned
I wonder, would the Frostcrag Tower DLC make the "kicked out of the Mages Guild" quest a lot easier? Or does it not have all the rare stuff needed for the quest?

(Obviously, I never got kicked out of the MG)

Nathan

GhaleonEB

A multilevel lair for murderous players to find refuge
Because the seven houses you could buy in the original game are not enough.

The Font of Renewal, where a player may purge himself of Vampirism
"Got vampirism? The Cure Vampirism quest a massive pain in the ass? Only 250 points and you can be cured instantly...."
The Shrine of Sithis where the infamous player may heal and be cured of disease
As opposed to using the shrines and potions?

A Dark Minion, who the player may employ to find gold in a most unseemly manner
Because running out of gold is always a HUGE ISSUE.

A 'cattle pen' for vampires to dine
......okay......

An indoor garden of venomous plants, including the notorious Chokeberry to feed to your enemy
I sure hope that's implemented better than the poisoned apples we talked about a few pages back.

Various furnishing upgrades, including a study room and storage area
See point number one. Yay more boxes to hold my stuff in!

Huge disappointment. I was hoping the Epic Dungeon was the start of a trend towards more meaty content. :(

firex

All right, I'm definitely never doing DLC again... I bought Frostcrag tower (because I got kicked out of the mages' guild) and it won't show up at all for my character. I don't know why it won't... the note doesn't appear, the tower is nowhere to be found (going by general directions - I've scoured the mountains around Bruma and found NOTHING, I even went a damn long distance east and never found it). This is on the PC version... and if it's mods that messed it up, disabling them won't fix it. I'm glad it was only like $1.50, but it was still a waste and I will never buy another DLC, even if I find a way to get this one working.

I don't get it - why is it that I downloaded a mod that adds an entire bit of land and a huge house with a mage tower, alchemy garden and a giant manor, and that worked the same as any other mod (download it and click enable before starting the game) yet an official DLC from Bethesda wouldn't?

Also, I'm a bit suspicious about the content of some of the DLC... I know some of the data is already in the game (mehrune's razor, for example, exists in the mod tool kit, or at least the model for it does) so a few things seem kind of like they cut them out just to add them in later. But that's probably more my distrust of game developers than it is anything to do with Bethesda themselves. I'd be pissed if one of the dungeon areas I've found that's blocked off were to suddenly become unblocked and open with a DLC though... But Steve and Vark already answered about the small size of DLC, and I'll take them at their word, cause the biggest mod I've downloaded is Kumiko Manor, and that's the one I mentioned above that adds an absolutely huge home that basically has everything you'd want, all in one location (and with a great view).

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
GhaleonEB said:
As opposed to using the shrines and potions?

You can't USE shrines if your infamy is high. But the Shrine of Sithis REVELS in high Infamy and you can restore damaged attributes & such there, just like "good" characters can at other shrines elsewhere in the game.

I guess this DLC would make it much easier if you wanted to play the game as a vampire, but for me, I when I play an RPG, I want to suffer the consequences of my choices. If I decide to play as a vampire, I should have to deal with the strengths and weaknesses that come along with that. That's generally how I approach all RPG's, not just Oblivion.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I guess this DLC would make it much easier if you wanted to play the game as a vampire, but for me, I when I play an RPG, I want to suffer the consequences of my choices. If I decide to play as a vampire, I should have to deal with the strengths and weaknesses that come along with that. That's generally how I approach all RPG's, not just Oblivion.
I interpret this download as an acknowledgment that the vampirism implementation is broken to begin with. (Or, at least unbalanced.) :p

jon61586

When will they release an expansion that allows you to be a Werewolf? Can they do that for the 360 version/ Or will they have to release a whole new game like they did with MOrrowwid on xbox/

GhaleonEB

So I finally went into the first Oblivion Gate at Kavach, at my daughter's insistance. I'm level 18, and pretty curious what I'd run into myself. What I ran into was Storm Atronachs, Clanfears, Spider Thingys and Daedroths. :(

The good news is my bows and Marksman skills, with damage health poisons, are up to snuff. The first fight was with two Daedroths and a Clanfear, and I took them out pretty quick with the help of a summoned Dramora or two. I think going Marksman will be okay. It takes about 10 arrows to take down each of these guys, except for a Clanfear which only takes 8 or so. Toss in some poison and it's faster.

But damn - I didn't think I'd skip Flame and Frost Atronachs completely. :lol

jon61586 said:
When will they release an expansion that allows you to be a Werewolf? Can they do that for the 360 version/ Or will they have to release a whole new game like they did with MOrrowwid on xbox/
I'm sure the expansion is possible through Live, just like the current add-ons.

Top Bottom