• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
What I would love to see from oblivion now is a new free patch that adds new HIGH LEVEL MONSTERS!

After 130hours and cranking the difficultly slider up the enemies are boring, I have seen it all too many times.

Don’t charge for this add on include it in a patch, I am not interested in paying for add on’s unless the games high level balance is fixed.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Speevy said:
That tends to happen when you play for 130 hours.

Oh yeah don’t get me wrong, the game is awesome, I am more then happy with the value for money it offers.

But considering there is still additional stuff being added and plenty of quests left in my game world it would make sense for high level creatures to be added.

That way I would actually download some content, I am sure there are others that are over oblivion but would be keen to play it more (+download some content$$$$) if the high level difficulty was fixed.

GhaleonEB

Do The Mario said:
Oh yeah don’t get me wrong, the game is awesome, I am more then happy with the value for money it offers.

But considering there is still additional stuff being added and plenty of quests left in my game world it would make sense for high level creatures to be added.

That way I would actually download some content, I am sure there are others that are over oblivion but would be keen to play it more (+download some content$$$$) if the high level difficulty was fixed.
I agree with you. I'd plunk down for a "creature pack" of a half dozen or so new creatures inserted into the game world. I saw all creatures possible about 60 hours into my 130 hour game; the latter half was not nearly as interesting partly as a result.

New creatures would be great, but it would make the size of the DLC/Patch a lot larger I'm sure. You'd have to have the new creature models, not to mention any new sounds, animation, skins, etc. That could get large real fast. If you notice, all of the DLC so far does not include any new sounds, voice acting, etc. I'm sure it's a big reason why you can get an epic dungeon in such a small download.

These house mods are getting pretty lame. At the very least I would expect some custom weapons or armor from official plugins. Download sizes would not be that big.

GreekWolf

Confidence Man said:
These house mods are getting pretty lame. At the very least I would expect some custom weapons or armor from official plugins. Download sizes would not be that big.
Yeah, I gotta agree with you there. Enough with the secret hideaways, uber mansions and vampire lairs. We already have more than we'll ever use.

What we need is additional "high level" content to keep the hardcore players interested. How about a few creature packs, some new and unique dungeons ( that don't involve caves, elven ruins and forts ), and maybe a few islands or sunken cities to explore. I'll be more than willing to plop down my hard-earned money for any of these things.

Core407

Banned
GreekWolf said:
Yeah, I gotta agree with you there. Enough with the secret hideaways, uber mansions and vampire lairs. We already have more than we'll ever use.

What we need is additional "high level" content to keep the hardcore players interested. How about a few creature packs, some new and unique dungeons ( that don't involve caves, elven ruins and forts ), and maybe a few islands or sunken cities to explore. I'll be more than willing to plop down my hard-earned money for any of these things.

Because throwing in a creature pack would fark up the entire game probably.

GhaleonEB

Core407 said:
Because throwing in a creature pack would fark up the entire game probably.
Not if they aimed it at higher level characters. For me new enemies stopped showing up circa level 20, and I got to level 35. If they introduce new enemies further along that leveling scale it would just be an extension of the current system, not a breakage of it.

So far a lot of the content is aimed at specific character types - this latest one, evil vampires. The Orrey and Wizards Tower are for heavy magic users. Thieve's Den for, well, thieves. Why not something that all higher level characters would enjoy?

We need an epic dungeon with a dragon to fight at the end! :D Perhaps some new critters to fight along the way. But as I said earlier, those kinds of updates are much larger than the DLC we've had so far for a number of reasons.

Core407

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Not if they aimed it at higher level characters. For me new enemies stopped showing up circa level 20, and I got to level 35. If they introduce new enemies further along that leveling scale it would just be an extension of the current system, not a breakage of it.

So far a lot of the content is aimed at specific character types - this latest one, evil vampires. The Orrey and Wizards Tower are for heavy magic users. Thieve's Den for, well, thieves. Why not something that all higher level characters would enjoy?

Good point. We need that creature pack now!

What I really wish they'd do is create a new forest to explore, but try a different weather type.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
We need an epic dungeon with a dragon to fight at the end! :D Perhaps some new critters to fight along the way. But as I said earlier, those kinds of updates are much larger than the DLC we've had so far for a number of reasons.
Yeah. That brings up one of my issues with Oblivion - less an issue than a minor disappointment, I guess. No real bosses. None of the boss enemies are unique creatures. Well, ONE, but you don't get to fight him. It made a lot of the quests anticlimactic for me. (The King of Worms is an old dude in a robe! How original!)

LakeEarth

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah. That brings up one of my issues with Oblivion - less an issue than a minor disappointment, I guess. No real bosses. None of the boss enemies are unique creatures. Well, ONE, but you don't get to fight him. It made a lot of the quests anticlimactic for me. (The King of Worms is an old dude in a robe! How original!)
Yeah the King of Worms was the most disappointing fight ever.

5 people over the course of the game
"The King of WORMS will devour your soul :eek:"

Then you run into him, paralyze, slash, slash, slash, slash...done.

You guys make some good points. I agree with Core that some different weather types or seasonal changes would be cool. The rain is very atmospheric, but would't it be great, with the passage of time, the seasons would change as well, so we'd have Summer change into Fall, with the leaves changing colors, then Winter, leaves fall off, it snows rather than rains, ground gets covered in snow, rivers and lakes freeze over, which leads into spring, everything warms up, snow melts away, tress and plants bloom anew. I'd love to see that in the next ES game.

And as Ghaleon said, some unique bosses would be great too. Something huge, and epic to fight. (Not just watch fight) Something that makes you feel like you accomplished something. I did feel that I was making progress and accomplishing things, but nothing had that real "Epic" feel to it. We need more non-human, unique bosses.

GhaleonEB

LakeEarth said:
Yeah the King of Worms was the most disappointing fight ever.

5 people over the course of the game
"The King of WORMS will devour your soul :eek:"

Then you run into him, paralyze, slash, slash, slash, slash...done.
That was exactly my experience with him. He never even hit me. I was actually nervous going through that giant cave, then I talked to him. :(

Actually, the closest thing to a boss I ran into was that (minor Thieve's Guild spoiler)
giant slaughterfish. That thing surprised the hell out of me. I loved the stuff it had inside it - an oar, rudder, etc implying it ate an entire boat. Then the clothes, bones and weapons of the guys on the boat. :lol Where's my giant enemy mud crab, Bethesda?!

Core407

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
That was exactly my experience with him. He never even hit me. I was actually nervous going through that giant cave, then I talked to him. :(

Actually, the closest thing to a boss I ran into was that (minor Thieve's Guild spoiler)
giant slaughterfish. That thing surprised the hell out of me. I loved the stuff it had inside it - an oar, rudder, etc implying it ate an entire boat. Then the clothes, bones and weapons of the guys on the boat. :lol Where's my giant enemy mud crab, Bethesda?!

GIANT ENEMY MUD CRAB IS IN THE GAME! I made a post about it earlier and listed which cave it was in.

GhaleonEB

Core407 said:
He's taller than the character and he has some good stuff to loot.
Can you post it again? I went back a few pages and didn't see it. I was just browsing a wiki on Oblivion, looking at the creatures list, and there was a Giant Mud Crab variant but no other information. I always assumed it and the Spectral Mud Crab in Paradise were the same.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
:lol Well, there are katanas in the game! :D
Just for that I'm going to fight it with a katana. :lol

Core407

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Can you post it again? I went back a few pages and didn't see it. I was just browsing a wiki on Oblivion, looking at the creatures list, and there was a Giant Mud Crab variant but no other information. I always assumed it and the Spectral Mud Crab in Paradise were the same.

Just for that I'm going to fight it with a katana. :lol

I ended up at Greenmead Cave and ran into a giant mudcrab.

Maya

Did you guys miss this?

http://obliviondownloads.com/Coming_Soon_DLC5.aspx

The Vile Lair - DLC5

This underwater hideout provides your infamous character with safe haven. Those willingly inflicted (or shall we say graced?) with vampirism will find a means to feed, and if necessary, a means to cure their infliction. Hire evil minions, pray to the dark god Sithis, and a host of other functions await.

TES4-VileLair03-thumb.jpg

Features:

A multilevel lair for murderous players to find refuge

The Font of Renewal, where a player may purge himself of Vampirism

The Shrine of Sithis where the infamous player may heal and be cured of disease

A Dark Minion, who the player may employ to find gold in a most unseemly manner

A 'cattle pen' for vampires to dine

An indoor garden of venomous plants, including the notorious Chokeberry to feed to your enemy

Various furnishing upgrades, including a study room and storage area

Backstory:

One of the most notorious vampires of times long past, Greywyn Blenwyth, had joined the Dark Brotherhood with the intention of one day converting all of his fellow brethren into his kind. He realized that although vampires are accepted within the ranks of the Dark Brotherhood, the notion that it could be a future requirement could anger existing members or possibly dissuade others from joining its ranks. By carefully forging an alliance with several key members of the Dark Brotherhood at the time, Greywyn was confident he could either sway the rest of the members into adopting his ways, or dispatching those that didn't. He spent the better part of a year "turning" opponents to his side, and using his allies to rid the Dark Brotherhood of the others.

He dubbed his splinter faction The Crimson Scars; a name derived from the unusually vicious neck lacerations left by his assassins and their jagged blades. The final turning point in Greywyn's dark plan called for the swift execution of the current upper echelon of the Dark Brotherhood in one massive, cautiously executed strike. Unbeknownst to Greywyn, one of the members he had turned, a Dunmer named Silarian, was not enamored by the thought of his newfound vampiric power, as it came with too high a price. By informing the Black Hand of the Dark Brotherhood of Greywyn's upcoming betrayal, Silarian was able to quell the rebellion before it started. The second purification in the history of the Brotherhood was executed that night, and the entire sanctuary died in a sea of blood.

Greywyn somehow escaped the carnage and retreated to a cave he had discovered earlier in his travels, which he aptly named Deepscorn Hollow. From this lair, Greywyn, now alone, devised a way to bring his plan back to fruition. He sent messages across Cyrodiil, seeking those who would join his cause, but to no avail. Within the Hollow, he constructed a Shrine to Sithis and prayed for absolution and a way to bring his quashed dreams back to reality. Many a mortal died at the hands of Greywyn in the following days, all in an attempt to appease his Dark Master. Finally, his prayers were answered, but Sithis demanded a price. Sithis would approve of the Crimson Scars, only if Greywyn would renounce his vampiric ways and become mortal once again as a punishment for the betrayal of his brothers.

With a heavy heart, Greywyn labored to create a cure for the disease in his veins. Finally, a musty tome recovered from a ruined fort bore the answer: Purgeblood Salts. Greywyn spent months roaming the land gathering the ingredients he needed to complete the salts and to refine them properly. When all his preparations were complete, Greywyn approached the Shrine of Sithis for one last prayer. As he intoned the first verse of his dark prayer, he felt a piercing pain explode across his back. The Dark Brotherhood had finally tracked him down.

Maya

Okay, here's what happened:

My friend just bought this crazy 60" Grand WEGA SXRD HDTV (KDS-R60XBR1) and owns a 360, but never really played anything on it yet! Just a few rentals here and there. He was waiting until he got his HDTV I guess. Anyway, as a house warming gift I decided to pick him up the 360 version of Oblivion. With all the glowing GAF reviews of the 360 version, how could I go wrong! I figure this will look about as sweet on his new TV as you could possibly get. I know it's beautiful on my PC.

We set up the TV, watch a couple demos (like the Halo 3 trailer), then go to fire up Oblivion on the 360. I figure I played the crap out of the PC version, I'll be a pro at the 360.

WRONG.

First, OMFG the load times!

Second, how the F do you guys manage the inventory/stat/map screens?! So painful!

Third, what a freakin' CHORE it is to switch and zoom in and out of 3rd person view! On the PC I do this all the time and fight some battles 1st person, or try to evade and block in 3rd person.

Fourth, fighting is so clunky! I'm used to playing Half Life 2/Counter Strike and EQ/EQ2, so the W A S D and mouse set up is the only way to go for me. I hope and pray for my friend's sake you get to playing with a 360 controller.

Tell me what I'm missing here...

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I don't understand the logic of releasing add-ons that aren't for high level characters. Those who have invested the time to build high level characters are probably the ones most likely to buy the add-ons in the first place, wouldn't you want to market to them? I dunno, just the stream of somewhat trivial things is surprising to me. I know it's not an MMO, but in many ways it plays like one - and in general MMO expansions tend to favor higher level characters as those are the ones most likely to invest in them.

Vark

Maya said:
Okay, here's what happened:

My friend just bought this crazy 60" Grand WEGA SXRD HDTV (KDS-R60XBR1) and owns a 360, but never really played anything on it yet! Just a few rentals here and there. He was waiting until he got his HDTV I guess. Anyway, as a house warming gift I decided to pick him up the 360 version of Oblivion. With all the glowing GAF reviews of the 360 version, how could I go wrong! I figure this will look about as sweet on his new TV as you could possibly get. I know it's beautiful on my PC.

We set up the TV, watch a couple demos (like the Halo 3 trailer), then go to fire up Oblivion on the 360. I figure I played the crap out of the PC version, I'll be a pro at the 360.

WRONG.

First, OMFG the load times!

Second, how the F do you guys manage the inventory/stat/map screens?! So painful!

Third, what a freakin' CHORE it is to switch and zoom in and out of 3rd person view! On the PC I do this all the time and fight some battles 1st person, or try to evade and block in 3rd person.

Fourth, fighting is so clunky! I'm used to playing Half Life 2/Counter Strike and EQ/EQ2, so the W A S D and mouse set up is the only way to go for me. I hope and pray for my friend's sake you get to playing with a 360 controller.

Tell me what I'm missing here...

It really depends on what you're used too. *personally* I like playing it on the 360 more because I like being able to spam buttons in conversations and I can open and close menus and what not a heck of a lot faster.

Of course I also don't read anything because I know what it all says so its faster to just skip it.

Load times aren't bad for me at all, unless it's time to clear the cache. Wouldn't think that would be an issue on first play through though, unless it's building that cache the first time. Did you get the patch for it, which improves the framerate and lessens the number of loads?

Controller isn't hard to get use to at all, and this is coming from someone who played Daggerfall and Morrowind on the PC. I had no issues going through the different screens, although I will grant you that working with the inventory can be a chore. Switching to the maps, quests, spells isn't an issue at all though, just scrolling through the tons of crap you accumlate.

Third person? That view is pretty much useless. I wouldn't say it's a chore at all. Isn't it a simple click of one of the sticks? How is that a chore? Regardless, third person fells pretty much useless to me anyway. The animation is awful, your character looks like crap, so aside from using it a few times to check things out, I've barely touched it in the 150+ hours of game play I've been through. Feels completely tacked on.

I've played plenty of games on the PC using the mouse and the WASD combo, both first person shooters and RPG's. I had no issues with that on the 360. Do you not play a lot of console games? Perhaps using the controler in general throws you off. The combat is far better than it was in Morrowind on the PC. What was your issue with it exactly? Pretty easy to swing a weapon, cast a spell, or fire an arrow.

Maya

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Load times aren't bad for me at all, unless it's time to clear the cache. Wouldn't think that would be an issue on first play through though, unless it's building that cache the first time. Did you get the patch for it, which improves the framerate and lessens the number of loads?

No on the patch. I'll get him to do that ASAP. Thanks for the info. It was the first load too that I'm basing this on.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Controller isn't hard to get use to at all, and this is coming from someone who played Daggerfall and Morrowind on the PC. I had no issues going through the different screens, although I will grant you that working with the inventory can be a chore. Switching to the maps, quests, spells isn't an issue at all though, just scrolling through the tons of crap you accumlate.

Yeah, I guess the maps were okay. But the inventory management was so much, much slower.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Third person? That view is pretty much useless. I wouldn't say it's a chore at all. Isn't it a simple click of one of the sticks? How is that a chore? Regardless, third person fells pretty much useless to me anyway. The animation is awful, your character looks like crap, so aside from using it a few times to check things out, I've barely touched it in the 150+ hours of game play I've been through. Feels completely tacked on.

I really love 3rd person view. I like to see what my avatar looks like. In towns or non-combat I used it all the time. I only use it in-combat when I want to block and roll/evade/back flip or when I'm doing speed runs to close a gate. With the mouse wheel you can zoom out to all different degrees. I could only get the 360's 3rd person view to zoom out at one setting.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I've played plenty of games on the PC using the mouse and the WASD combo, both first person shooters and RPG's. I had no issues with that on the 360. Do you not play a lot of console games? Perhaps using the controller in general throws you off. The combat is far better than it was in Morrowind on the PC. What was your issue with it exactly? Pretty easy to swing a weapon, cast a spell, or fire an arrow.

Looking while moving was my main issue, and aiming. I guess I have had a much higher percentage of first person gaming on the PC vs a console. I'll have to take your word that it becomes like second nature. I'm still at the all thumbs retard stage. :lol

Maya said:
No on the patch. I'll get him to do that ASAP. Thanks for the info. It was the first load too that I'm basing this on.

Patch definitely helps. Trust me. First run may have had something to do with it as well. The 360 version will have slow load times though if you have too many game saves, tons of useless stuff in your inventory, or if the cache gets mucked up. I only keep two or three saves, and store extra stuff in chests in my house. Delete the cache as needed if you have problems there.

Maya said:
Yeah, I guess the maps were okay. But the inventory management was so much, much slower.

Agreed on the inventory management. It's slow and awkward, especially when you have a lot of quest items that you can't drop on your list. Scrolling through keys, potions, scrolls, etc. to find the item you want is rough. They needed to make it so you could use the bumbers to move up or down a category or something.

Maya said:
I really love 3rd person view. I like to see what my avatar looks like. In towns or non-combat I used it all the time. I only use it in-combat when I want to block and roll/evade/back flip or when I'm doing speed runs to close a gate. With the mouse wheel you can zoom out to all different degrees. I could only get the 360's 3rd person view to zoom out at one setting.

You're the first person I've actually heard say that they like the 3rd person view, so it must be a personal preference. Most of us in here find it useless most of the time. I won't speak for everyone in this thread, but I'd be willing to guess that most Oblivion players rarely use it, staying in first person mode 99.9% of the time.

Maya said:
Looking while moving was my main issue, and aiming. I guess I have had a much higher percentage of first person gaming on the PC vs a console. I'll have to take your word that it becomes like second nature. I'm still at the all thumbs retard stage. :lol

The looking while moving thing gets a lot of people who are use to the keyboard and mouse combo in first person games. That's just a common thing when moving over to a console. For me, it was never a major issue, but I think I'm in the minority on that as I watch my friends struggle through Halo or other first person games on consoles. The movement is fine, and the looking around is fine. Combine the two, and it can be a mess. :lol However, once you get through the learning curve, it really does become second nature, and feels as natural on a console as the keyboard and mouse does on a computer.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
The looking while moving thing gets a lot of people who are use to the keyboard and mouse combo in first person games. That's just a common thing when moving over to a console. For me, it was never a major issue, but I think I'm in the minority on that as I watch my friends struggle through Halo or other first person games on consoles. The movement is fine, and the looking around is fine. Combine the two, and it can be a mess. :lol However, once you get through the learning curve, it really does become second nature, and feels as natural on a console as the keyboard and mouse does on a computer.
I still remember the first time I played Halo, and my friend and I were running into walls all over the place. But since I was a console gamer growing up, it's second nature. I can't STAND mouse + kb and don't understand how people can like it. I think it's a bit like driving gears - I learned on automatic and hate stick shifts. My wife and my boss at work learned on stick shifts and hate automatics. It's just what you learn on.

bengraven

SteveMeister said:
You can't USE shrines if your infamy is high. But the Shrine of Sithis REVELS in high Infamy and you can restore damaged attributes & such there, just like "good" characters can at other shrines elsewhere in the game.

Villains! Where was this when the game launched and my infamy was 70 compared to my 11 fame?! I walked around with a curse forever!

But seriously, as a darker character, I find this fascinating. I'm planning on buying this even though there's no quest.

To the above posters about arrows, yeah, they're usually iron or steel arrows. I wish these too scaled to the player, like the armor and weapons on certain quest NPCs.

Anyone have any crazy videos fo rthis game? Cool fights or environments? Or just crazy ass bugs? I havren't seen this game in action yet and I want to see what all the fuss is about.

GhaleonEB said:
I still remember the first time I played Halo, and my friend and I were running into walls all over the place. But since I was a console gamer growing up, it's second nature. I can't STAND mouse + kb and don't understand how people can like it. I think it's a bit like driving gears - I learned on automatic and hate stick shifts. My wife and my boss at work learned on stick shifts and hate automatics. It's just what you learn on.

Mouse and keyboard take some getting use to, but I've been playing games on PC's and consoles for so long, I adapt well to either one. They are both second nature to me now. The first time I played Halo it probably took me less than five minutes to get the hang of things, and then I was off on a killing spree. My problem is that I expect everyone to pick up the controls like I did, so I give my friends endless shit when they can't do it. Plus, it's dizzying to watch someone play who can't control things very well. :lol

Vark: Thanks for the info on the zoom for the 360. I thought you could do it, but since I don't use 3rd person at all, I couldn't remember how it was done.

Tortfeasor

I seemed to have lost the ability to jump today... Anyone have any idea if something could happen to cause that (disease or something like that) or if it just a glitch and I need to reload?

Tortfeasor said:
I seemed to have lost the ability to jump today... Anyone have any idea if something could happen to cause that (disease or something like that) or if it just a glitch and I need to reload?

That's a new one on me. Hadn't heard that one before. I'd go with the re-load.

Top Bottom