• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

GreekWolf

Yeah, that Ft. Grief is a fun little dungeon. I didn't even get around to it until my 40's, so that last Orc didn't pose much of a threat. I think I just stood there and laughed while he swung away aimlessly. Poor bastard.

GhaleonEB

Core407 said:
When I try to fast travel to some cave, I get loaded into the ground and can run around under the environment. :lol
Hilarious, it's like the opposite of what I did last night: fall into the ground (through wall around a fort) and had to fast-travel get out. At least there's some consistancy. :lol

Sysgen

Today a mage in one of the guilds was sitting, only not in the chair but behind it in the wall, literally. You saw the front half of him.

Core407 said:
When I try to fast travel to some cave, I get loaded into the ground and can run around under the environment. :lol

Anyone ever play Daggerfall? That game was notorious for allowing you to fall through the World and see everything fall away above you. Happened regularly in some of the dungeons. :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Anyone ever play Daggerfall? That game was notorious for allowing you to fall through the World and see everything fall away above you. Happened regularly in some of the dungeons. :lol

QFT. Later patches opened up the console, however, and from there you could fix it if you fell into the great void.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I got pushed through a wall of the cave in Mehrun's Razor where those boulders fall down in one of the corridors, think it was in the mines there. I ended up in some sort of loop outside the enviorment, kept getting teleported back to just outside the wall only to fall down into nothingness again and again. After about 6-7 drops I had managed to steer myself closer to the cave and eventually popped back into it.:lol

GhaleonEB

I just ran into an interesting bug. There was a rock trap in one of the dungeons I just did, where a ton of boulders are supposed to fall down and block the path (which just ran into a dead end anyways). The sound happened, but nothing fell. I go under the dead end and look up, and there are the boulders, suspended in the air. If this ever happens to you, take note: You can knock them down with an arrow! Just don't be standing under them when you do.

*reloads*

:(

GhaleonEB

One other thing: that "horse" I got? I was showing it to my daughter (who is nuts for all things fairies, princesses and castles these days) and a town guard ran up and attacked it. My steed quickly dispatched the guard, then killed *me*. WTF?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
GhaleonEB said:
One other thing: that "horse" I got? I was showing it to my daughter (who is nuts for all things fairies, princesses and castles these days) and a town guard ran up and attacked it. My steed quickly dispatched the guard, then killed *me*. WTF?
Never have your weapon drawn around it. It doesn't like that.

Shadowmere FTW.

GhaleonEB

Dice said:
Never have your weapon drawn around it. It doesn't like that.

Shadowmare FTW.
That's the thing, I didn't. The GUARD came running up with his sword drawn.

And the only reason I ride him at all is because my daughter likes'em. I avoided horses like the plague last time, and will largely do so this time around.

JCBossman

Banned
I am a Level 45 High Elf(Highest possible althouth my Destruction is like 92 and see no reason to raise it, but I still seem to come up a point short?), Arch-Mage of the Mage's Guild, Master of the Arena...BLAH Blah...The Problem is this game plays JUST like a GRAPHICS upgrade to Morrowind, there is no connection whatsoevever between guilds and every place starts to look and act alike, Why can i wear only 2 rings, I GOT 10 FINGERS?, Why are Gloom Wraiths so much harder to defeat that Dadera? Why does this thing LOCK up my 360 on loading a new section so often? Why is that stupid enchanting chest in my(arch mage's) room eating my shit soon after depositing it? Why can't I Levitate? Why can't I Hold BIG souls in my Azura Star? Some souls come in (apperntly) at over 5,000 but I an limited to 1,600? Why is the WHOLE game slowing down like in (ABISMALL) Morrowind and taking FOREVER TO OPEN shit(Chests, Barrels) and to LOAD? And why the **** am I getting hurt by electric spider dadera attacks wearing a STORM RING?

and the 2 biggest questions?
Why leave notes: ie: if you go past the house with a fallen roof....Or head north for an hour to a grove of dead trees( you find this note in a cave on a mountianside) where it is impossible to head NORTH?where the info. you are given is garbage.

Why can't I enchant for MAGIC shielding yet I find the MUDANE ring or can't I enchant my Dadatic footwear for feather past 50 yet i find boots of plain striding thst does 85, why sell High end magic pieces with MASSIVE tradeoffs for BIG bucks?

Core407

Banned
Oblivion is ****ing up on my royally! I finally got back into Oblivion AGAIN :)lol) and decided to start the Mehruzers quest (sp?). First I need to go to the ruins and retrive an artifact, but I can't reach the ruins. First time I tried, half of the game world didn't show up and I fell through the ground and was running around under the world. Second, the game freezed as I was making my way to the ruin. I tried for a third time and it was working fine until I got the "you can't go this way" message, which is odd, since I'm no where near the edge. I just tried to fast travel to another location and try from there and the game freezes. WTF?

Edit: I'm thinkin of defragging, but I heard it removes all software updates and what-not. I even tried doing the code, but it doesn't even work on my system. WTF?!

Edit: Just took some screen caps to show off the bugs...

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Traded it in to EB. Got 35 bucks for it. Never even finished the main quest. It was fun, but as I progressed it seemed to get buggier and buggier the deeper I got. Not sure if I will get the next title or not. I really liked the game a lot, but the bugs marred it quite a bit.

I put in over 200 hours into the game, so I got my monies worth. Had some bugs that prevented me from finishing certain quest lines, but luckily I reverted back to saves. Probably lost 15 hours worth of gameplay as a result though. That really pissed me off and which is why I won't just buy the next game on launch like I did this one.

Core407

Banned
my.php

JCBossman said:
Why can i wear only 2 rings, I GOT 10 FINGERS?
It's a D&D rule.

One of the things keeping me from picking up this game is the rubberbanding. I don't like that at all. At high level, one should be able to decimate everything in one's path.

Tom the Enchanter said:
It's a D&D rule.

One of the things keeping me from picking up this game is the rubberbanding. I don't like that at all. At high level, one should be able to decimate everything in one's path.

And you can, it's just not as easy as it is in Morrowind to become a god. I'm around level 40, and there really isn't anything that is a challenge to me any more.

Sysgen

Tom the Enchanter said:
It's a D&D rule.

You can. At the higher levels with my Imperial fighter I had to bump the difficulty bar up 7 notches, otherwise everything was a cake walk.

Cogent, the end of the main questline was definitely worth the wait.

Core407

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
And you can, it's just not as easy as it is in Morrowind to become a god. I'm around level 40, and there really isn't anything that is a challenge to me any more.

In Oblivion? Go fight a Goblin warlord and then tell me if there's anything challenging in the game. :lol (But first fix my bug)

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Sysgen said:
Cogent, the end of the main questline was definitely worth the wait.

It was feeling like work for me. I couldn't even bring myself to play it. I can't just force myself and I didn't see myself playing it in the foreseeable future. I have all the saves on my harddrive though, in case I ever come by a super cheap copy of the game and my interest is rekindled.

Like I said, I had over 200 hours into the game. Probably 250 after you count all the lost time I had from bugs in the game having me to have to resort to old saves.

Oh, and the Oblivion part of the game I found tiresome and tedious. All red, nothing interesting to look at. I hated being in that part of the game.

Core407 said:
In Oblivion? Go fight a Goblin warlord and then tell me if there's anything challenging in the game. :lol (But first fix my bug)

I could smoke anything in the game at the point I was at and not even bat an eye. No cheating required either. There was no challenge once you could completely chameleon yourself in the game (had to get over 100 in Oblivion but that was still easy to do with all my enchanted gear and spells and potions). I would deliberately not even do it because it could get boring. But if I ever worried about dying, I could easily just disappear and never be seen again by my foes.

Core407 said:

I've fought plenty of them. They aren't much of a challenge either.

Which bug? I think you need to talk to Vark or Steve on that one. :lol

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
GhaleonEB said:
That's the thing, I didn't. The GUARD came running up with his sword drawn.

And the only reason I ride him at all is because my daughter likes'em. I avoided horses like the plague last time, and will largely do so this time around.

was the horse the unicorn? The unicorn will always fight you when it goes aggro. It's' very odd. That's why the unicorn is worthless as a mount. Just cast "calm" on it and fast travel, it's aggro will reset. Regardless, what you should do is just kill it and get the reward.

Core407

Banned
Nerevar said:
was the horse the unicorn? The unicorn will always fight you when it goes aggro. It's' very odd. That's why the unicorn is worthless as a mount. Just cast "calm" on it and fast travel, it's aggro will reset. Regardless, what you should do is just kill it and get the reward.

It doesn't attack you if it's aggro'ed. The only time it attacks you is when you draw your weapon in its SOV.

GhaleonEB

One of the things I love in RPGs is the feeling of getting an awesome new weapon and then going to try it out for the first time. I got into the Arcane University last night and enchanted my first weapon: a bow with 22pts fire damage, 5pts base damage. Until then I'd just been using a regular bow and doing just fine. (Side note: in my previous game, the best bow I got had 20pts damage. Methinks some nasty new bows will come up soon. :) )

The first enemy I shot with it was a regular skeleton, from sneak. He EXPLODED throughout the room in a giant fireball. The sense of "whheeeeeee" was off the charts. I played until 3am this morning with that baby. :lol

I went through two dungeons, both of which I missed in my first game (or found and didn't do). The first was a cave that turned into a series of crypts, where you went down four seperate hatches into crypts of various ranked people. Tons of coffins stacked all over, lots of undead. What got me about the place is that it was h-u-g-e, taking well over an hour to get through. While regular skeletons are the norm for my (then) level six character, some of the lords buried there were skeleton champions making for one hell of a boss battle.

The second one was a small cave, that lead right down to an underground fort. Again, the place was HUGE, with four very large sections which overlapped. Took over an hour and a half to clear it out, not the least because it had tons of skeleton guardian archers in there. Very tough, very fun. Capped off with one wicked necromancer boss at the end, who actually killed me with an unexpectedly powerful fireball spell.

Getting into the Arcane University early was definately the way to go. Now that my Marksman skill is over 50, I'm going to focus on the Thieve's Guild for a while. Got in last night, I think I'm just going plow through. Really, really loving my new character, it's a totally different way to play.

Nerevar said:
Yeah, it was. I'll just be carefull with it. I only ride it to show my daughter since I hate how horseback riding was done.

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, it was. I'll just be carefull with it. I only ride it to show my daughter since I hate how horseback riding was done.

How's the framerate while on horseback with the new patch. While I do have a horse, I don't think I've ridden him since the patch. The better framerate doesn't solve every issue I have with horseback riding though. It still controls very awkwardly.

Nerevar

Kung Fu Jedi said:
How's the framerate while on horseback with the new patch. While I do have a horse, I don't think I've ridden him since the patch. The better framerate doesn't solve every issue I have with horseback riding though. It still controls very awkwardly.

I've ridden Shadowmere quite a bit, and it's significantly improved. It still has enough stuttering to be jarring at times though, but it is actually doable now, whereas before it was basically a stutterfest.

Nerevar said:
I've ridden Shadowmere quite a bit, and it's significantly improved. It still has enough stuttering to be jarring at times though, but it is actually doable now, whereas before it was basically a stutterfest.

Yeah, before the last patch, it was awful, which is why I haven't done anything with it since I rode Shadowmere after I first got him. But aside from the stuttering, I still found the controls to be pretty clumsy.

Nerevar

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, before the last patch, it was awful, which is why I haven't done anything with it since I rode Shadowmere after I first got him. But aside from the stuttering, I still found the controls to be pretty clumsy.

I honestly only enjoy it when I'm totally invisible, and then I just use it to cover lots of ground quickly and enjoy the view. The controls are pretty broken.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I agree with the others, the framerate is much better. On the flip side, the draw-in is still pretty bad, and with the added speed objects like rocks, railings, foliage and the structures for ruins and forts draw in VERY close for me.

Aside from that, the lack of integration into combat and the utterly broken controls still ruin it for me. Really disappointed with the horses and I hope it's fixed for any possible expansion.

(Side-note: the ultra low-res textures for the distance seem to be pretty much gone since the patch, which makes walking around outside much more breathtaking. Aside from the draw-in of specific objects I mentioned the long distance views are very pretty and much better.)

Okay, I thought I'd be able to post my own thread by now but unfortunately the admin that removed that right from my account is on vacation or something and I'll have to use this thread, since Oblivion is the game I'm basing my new PC on.

I really need help with getting the right parts for my new custom gaming rig, and I'm always a little skeptic before I buy anything expensive. I need all the Oblivion PC Gamers to help me out here.

This is my Newegg wishlist.

If any of the products are labeled as out of stock you can ignore them, since Newegg restocks pretty quickly. My budget is strictly in the $1200USD area, and don't worry about a monitor, I have one. Either way, I appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks.

Gearharaden said:
Okay, I thought I'd be able to post my own thread by now but unfortunately the admin that removed that right from my account is on vacation or something and I'll have to use this thread, since Oblivion is the game I'm basing my new PC on.

I really need help with getting the right parts for my new custom gaming rig, and I'm always a little skeptic before I buy anything expensive. I need all the Oblivion PC Gamers to help me out here.

If any of the products are labeled as out of stock you can ignore them, since Newegg restocks pretty quickly. My budget is strictly in the $1200USD area, and don't worry about a monitor, I have one. Either way, I appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks.

So what's your question? For the money you're spending, it seems like you'll get a pretty good rig. One that will run Oblivion just fine.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Gearharaden said:

I've never heard of Rosewill PSUs before. Not sure about their quality. I would recommend you get an Antec or PC Power & Cooling PSU. Antec would be more affordable than the PCP&C.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Dr_Cogent said:
I've never heard of Rosewill PSUs before. Not sure about their quality. I would recommend you get an Antec or PC Power & Cooling PSU. Antec would be more affordable than the PCP&C.

Just as an aside to that, I use a Rosewill enclosure for an external harddrive, and it is very well constructed, never had a problem.

In Oblivion news... I've found that punching people to death is the most fun to be had in the game, even more so than sniping with a bow. Running around in nothing but a black robe punching ogres in the head puts a smile on my face.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
So what's your question? For the money you're spending, it seems like you'll get a pretty good rig. One that will run Oblivion just fine.

My biggest concern is cooling. Also, I hear the video card is large and I'm getting a mid-tower case. Does anybody know first hand how big the X1900 is?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
GhaleonEB said:
One of the things I love in RPGs is the feeling of getting an awesome new weapon and then going to try it out for the first time. I got into the Arcane University last night and enchanted my first weapon: a bow with 22pts fire damage, 5pts base damage. Until then I'd just been using a regular bow and doing just fine. (Side note: in my previous game, the best bow I got had 20pts damage. Methinks some nasty new bows will come up soon. :) )

You know what you should do? You should add fire weakness to one of these bows. Lower the fire damage down to 20 points and add 100 points of fire weakness. On my game, it removed the usage of the bow 2 points (from 47 to 44, if i'm not mistaken), but packs in a greater deal of damage

GhaleonEB said:

I have a friend that actually LIKES the horses... Yeah, i don't understand it either..

On a relatd note, i got the unicorn by accident. I was just messing around near it and got on it to escape from the minotaurs or whatever that guard him. Next thing i know, he's my horse now.. Well, ok, i hate horses, i'll just let him stable to every city i go..

Eventually, it ran off. Or got killed (more likely?) as the message saying my horse is stabled doesn't show up anymore..

While i had it stabled, something really funny used to happen. There's this orc on imperial city stables that says something about eating horses. Anyway, my unicorn was always beating the crap out of it everytime the orc came in line of sight of the unicorn - for no
reason at all. I think i already said it here, but it's always funny to say it again: i think the orc tried to eat the unicorn and it pissed him (the unicorn) off.. :lol

LakeEarth

I was in a battle against 2 minataur lords and an orc when my Unicorn magically appeared and attacked me along with them. I had to kill it :(

Seth C

So, am I missing something or is Mehrune's Razor not that big od a dungeon? I mean, it was big and all, but only slightly bigger than any other large dungeon. I'm sure it was technically huge, but most of it was a couple of massive open spaces with not much to actually do in them...

GhaleonEB

Seth C said:
So, am I missing something or is Mehrune's Razor not that big od a dungeon? I mean, it was big and all, but only slightly bigger than any other large dungeon. I'm sure it was technically huge, but most of it was a couple of massive open spaces with not much to actually do in them...
I thought it was very large, especially the area with the small village in it. But you're right - I posted on this page about two of the huge dungeons I just found and the Razor one was only a bit larger. Not as large as I thought it would be. And when there are so many other huge ones in the game already, I thought it came off as an unnecessary download. I kinda regret getting it.

Seth C

GhaleonEB said:
I thought it was very large, especially the area with the small village in it. But you're right - I posted on this page about two of the huge dungeons I just found and the Razor one was only a bit larger. Not as large as I thought it would be. And when there are so many other huge ones in the game already, I thought it came off as an unnecessary download. I kinda regret getting it.

The area with the village was rather large, but only had 10 or so enemies to kill, so it played quickly. They made it sound like the thing was 2-3 times larger than the largest dungeons in the game, when really it was 2-3 times the size of the average dungeon, more or less.

I'd regret it, except that I happened to find some of the best equipment I've seen while down there. I think I ended up replacing everything I had.

Seth C said:

This is exactly why I've stayed away from the DLC. I know it's only a few bucks, but I want the content to be really compelling, and so far nothing as been.

Seth C

Kung Fu Jedi said:
This is exactly why I've stayed away from the DLC. I know it's only a few bucks, but I want the content to be really compelling, and so far nothing as been.

I disagree. I thought the wizard's tower and the pirate en were both fun, unique, and rewarding. They provided something different. This one was just supposed to provide a huge dungeon though, and it didn't feel that huge. That's my only problem with it.

Seth C said:
I disagree. I thought the wizard's tower and the pirate en were both fun, unique, and rewarding. They provided something different. This one was just supposed to provide a huge dungeon though, and it didn't feel that huge. That's my only problem with it.

Well, the Wizard's tower was the one I was closest to purchasing, but there is nothing compelling about it, imho. It does add some convienence, but that's about it. Especially if you already own a decent house. There is no quest to go along with it, and everything else it adds is just a fancy house, in a remote location, with some nice additions if you are into alchemy (I'm not), or need to travel directly to the Mage's Guild regularly.

The Pirate one got high marks, but from what I understand the quest is very short, and little else is added to the game. Basically, both of these end up being fancy homes for your character.

Seth C

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Well, the Wizard's tower was the one I was closest to purchasing, but there is nothing compelling about it, imho. It does add some convienence, but that's about it. Especially if you already own a decent house. There is no quest to go along with it, and everything else it adds is just a fancy house, in a remote location, with some nice additions if you are into alchemy (I'm not), or need to travel directly to the Mage's Guild regularly.

The Pirate one got high marks, but from what I understand the quest is very short, and little else is added to the game. Basically, both of these end up being fancy homes for your character.

Your choice of not being into alchemy can't discredit it from being of value, in general...haha. Nice try though. The pirate quest was short, but it was interesting, and different from the others in the game. It also brought along with it several different items and a fun story to read through journals. It's not a TON of new stuff, but for crying out loud, it costs about $2. The wizard's tower is interesting structurally, and awesome for a any type of mage, summoner, crafter, or alchemist. Also, they are both 100 points cheaper than the newest one.

More important, I have actually purchased and played all three of these, so I believe I'm in a different position than you in regards to judging how much value I got from each. :) The newest one felt least worthwhile to me. While the other two seemed different enough from the rest of the game, the promise of this was simply a normal dungeon, but huge...and then it didn't seem so huge, meaning its only selling point was gone. In effect, it was 100 points more and yet didn't seem to provide anything new or different than I already found in the main game. I mean come on, there were plenty of big dungeons to explore already, and it's not as though they don't reset every few days anyway.

The dagger you get for finishing it is completely useless to those of us who have finished the game, which is a shame considering a major point of these additions should be to extend the game. Why not give a reward that someone who is done with the main quest can get some use out of?

Hey! I was just explaining why I personally didn't find them compelling and worthwhile. If you enjoyed them, good for you. A lot of people apparently have.

GhaleonEB

Just wondering, KFJ - what would it take for you to drop for some Oblivion DLC, aside from a full expansion? Different kind of content, lower price, etc?

GhaleonEB

I'm doing the Thieves Guild quest, "Ahdarji's Heirloom." I need to meet Hlidara Mothril to learn the Countesses schedule. The beggars tell me she's supposed to eat dinner at the castle hall at 8:00 every night. Problem is, my quest marker is located in Chorral, not Layowiin, in one of the barracks of the castle for some ungodly reason. I've waited until dinner time in 24 hour blocks for nearly two months straight, and she's not showing up and the map marker does not move. I tried going into the barracks the marker indicates, and when I get in, it tells me to go right back out.

What really sucks is I did this quest on my last character (I stopped the Thieve's Guild right after) and the game won't let you just go straight to the ring. I went snuck in and checked her jewelery box while she was sleeping and there's just some normal jewelery there, not the ring I'm supposed to get. It sucks that I have to jump through these hoops for it to work, and one of the hoops seems to be broken.

Anyone know what to do?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
GhaleonEB said:
I'm doing the Thieves Guild quest, "Ahdarji's Heirloom." I need to meet Hlidara Mothril to learn the Countesses schedule. The beggars tell me she's supposed to eat dinner at the castle hall at 8:00 every night. Problem is, my quest marker is located in Chorral, not Layowiin, in one of the barracks of the castle for some ungodly reason. I've waited until dinner time in 24 hour blocks for nearly two months straight, and she's not showing up and the map marker does not move. I tried going into the barracks the marker indicates, and when I get in, it tells me to go right back out.

What really sucks is I did this quest on my last character (I stopped the Thieve's Guild right after) and the game won't let you just go straight to the ring. I went snuck in and checked her jewelery box while she was sleeping and there's just some normal jewelery there, not the ring I'm supposed to get. It sucks that I have to jump through these hoops for it to work, and one of the hoops seems to be broken.

Anyone know what to do?
The marker is probably pointing to Alessia Caro, who is away in Chorrol on the 15-17th of every month.

JCBossman

Banned
I am really high level(I like to grind:) ) and although I haven't finished the main quest,( I like to do it in small chunks), I am starting to get bored, so I'm mostly closing gates, and tring to make the most AWESOME Health combo potions and the MOST deadly Posions. One new thing I like to do in caves and Ruins, is I find a pretty Elf Bandit, switch to fists and BEAT her until her clothing gives way piece by piece(its like a VIOLENT stripshow) although I gotta heal her every so often of I will kill her, and what fun would that be?:)

P.S. Sometimes when I wan't to get my Freak on I will do it with a "Cat" or "Lizard" chick( I did rescue that BITCH from that town, so she OWES me bigtime)

P.S.S. I just noticed that because I am Arch-Mage of the guild, Pretty Young recruits will follow me, can I "Do stuff" to them or will they kick me out of the guild?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Soooo... Hackdirt quest...

I went to find that girl, and the moment I get there this dude is all up in my face telling me to leave every 5 seconds, and he follows me EVERYWHERE so I'm like "Hey bitch, how about YOU leave or I'll kill you" and so I decided to kill him. This chick decided she wanted a piece too, and then like 20 other guys with clubs, with a little help from Shadowmere and a Storm Atronach for fun I killed them all.

Eventually I find the girl underground in some cave and those two people who didn't attack me are STILL lying about it, so I decide they're evil and need to die as well. I didn't kill the nice guy who warned me, but everyone else was dead so I leave to take the girl home.

A couple weeks later, I come back randomly and the nice guy is still there all alone and says "We don't take kindly to strangers around here, you better leave before somebody gets hurt" like he did before and I'm like "uhhh, bud, who's 'we'? Why are you still here?" Funny stuff.

Then with the 5 people looking for a chest of gold...
Why did you have to do it without anyone else knowing? If they're all going to end up dead anyway that wouldn't really matter. I guess the person who made the contract was just that sick.

Top Bottom