• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

GhaleonEB said:
Forts are great for loot in general, but just as important for me - they're fun to clear out. Some great, creative level designs in there. Luring enemies into traps is fun. :)

Say? Aren't you in Malaysia? :D

gblues

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Forts are great for loot in general, but just as important for me - they're fun to clear out. Some great, creative level designs in there. Luring enemies into traps is fun. :)

Some of those traps are just viscious; run into too many spiked pits to count (I think Vark played too much Prince of Persia).

Nathan

I cannot believe how much creative thought and effort was put onto this game.

I was wandering down near the edge of the map, when I came across a shack in the middle of nowhere labled "Isolated House." Inside, I found a bandit hanging out, a bed upstairs and some food on the table. The fact that they thought to put a bandit hideaway out there in some remote area is just too cool. It is the little touches that make this GOTY for me. I mean, really. I beat the game. 1000/1000. 130 hours logged in. And yet Dead Rising is still wrapped in plastic because I cannot stop playing Oblivion. I keep finding myself saying, "Okay. I'll just explore one last cave..."

bengraven

CousinLump said:
I cannot believe how much creative thought and effort was put onto this game.

I was wandering down near the edge of the map, when I came across a shack in the middle of nowhere labled "Isolated House." Inside, I found a bandit hanging out, a bed upstairs and some food on the table. The fact that they thought to put a bandit hideaway out there in some remote area is just too cool. It is the little touches that make this GOTY for me. I mean, really. I beat the game. 1000/1000. 130 hours logged in. And yet Dead Rising is still wrapped in plastic because I cannot stop playing Oblivion. I keep finding myself saying, "Okay. I'll just explore one last cave..."

That's what made me fall in love with this series, period. Morrowind had a lot of things like this, though I think not as many. It's a huge world, sure, but they still add little things that say "this world could exist". You'll find cool things in almost every corner of the world and in many places you never expected.

jda1977

I searched this thread. To start the game is there anyway of not having to haul/wear the arena armor? Like if I want to wear other armor and dont want to carry and have the weight of the arena armor can I toss it and get another? I dont have enough gold to buy a house yet and cant pick up anything in the game because of the damn arena armor? Thanks, just getting started..xbox 360 version btw

Chichikov

C- Warrior said:
How do you pray at the alters?

It keeps saying repent my sins -- but I don't have a bounty / clreared one from myself?

TIA
It's not about bounty, it's about heaving renown higher then your infamy.
There is a DLC that add an shrine where you can pray even if you’re evil.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
jda1977 said:
I searched this thread. To start the game is there anyway of not having to haul/wear the arena armor? Like if I want to wear other armor and dont want to carry and have the weight of the arena armor can I toss it and get another? I dont have enough gold to buy a house yet and cant pick up anything in the game because of the damn arena armor? Thanks, just getting started..xbox 360 version btw

You can just drop it. There's a cabinet next to the guy that gives you your arena quests, and it's constantly stocked with 5 heavy and 5 light pieces of armor. Taking a set isn't stealing. If you're using heavy though, and it sounds like you are, isn't it better armor than anything available early in the game? It's halfway decent in my game.

Unless it levels up with you, like other loot, I suppose.

jda1977

Ya it is decent but when I find magically enhanced gauntlets,etc, it un-equips the arena armor since its a set. Thanks for the info it makes the game more enjoyable since I can carry more loot.

Chichikov

Also, if you plan on buying DLC there are a few that gives you a housing for free.
Well, free in ducats, it does cost hard non-fantasy dollars.

jda1977

The wizards tower? Just bought them all except for the thief type one... Will buy that with my next character. Thinking of playing a magic/bow player as the hack n' slash mage is fun but kind of repetious(sp).

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Say? Aren't you in Malaysia? :D
Yes, and jetlagged out of my ****ing mind right now. Two hours from Portland (Oregon) to LA, then 19 hours to Singapore, then another hour to Malaysia (Penang island). Add in the layovers and it's about 30 hours of straight travel. I got 2 hours of sleep on the plane. It's just after 1:00 in the afternoon here, I got in at 10:00. I thought I'd hop on and say hi before crashing until "dinner" time. :)

CousinLump said:
I keep finding myself saying, "Okay. I'll just explore one last cave..."
That phrase has costed me many, many hours of sleep. :lol

Every time I think I have seen all there is to see - the dungeons start to look a little familiar, I spot the different components they are constructed out of - I run into some crazy-awesome place. I remember one that had literally hundreds of coffins stacked around, and I had to go down ladders into four seperate burial chambers, each with different classes there. Some servents, on up to the king, who was none to happy to see me raiding his place.

jda1977 said:
The wizards tower? Just bought them all except for the thief type one... Will buy that with my next character. Thinking of playing a magic/bow player as the hack n' slash mage is fun but kind of repetious(sp).
Check the last few pages for my ample thoughts on that character combo. Short version: it rawks. Do lots of Alchemy!!

GhaleonEB

SwordProgress2copy.jpg

List of Features
- Full suit of performance enhancing MJOLNIR armor
- Covenant plasma sword and jackel energy shield

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=530866

jda1977 said:

I stored mine in a chest in my house. Didn't wear it much, as I didn't get around to the Arena until about half-way through the game, and at that point, I was already wearing better stuff.

jda1977 said:

I thoght it was the Vile Lair that had the evil alter in it. Not positive though. I tend to shy away from the DLC. ;)

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I thoght it was the Vile Lair that had the evil alter in it. Not positive though. I tend to shy away from the DLC. ;)
I thought for sure you had that one. :p

Yeah, it's the Vile Lair that has the altar for characters with high infamy.

Right now I just got higher fame than infamy by one point because I've closed lots of Oblivion gates, and you get one Fame point for each. Time to cleanse myself and then murder some old people.

In two weeks, of course. When I get out of this damn country.

So what are you doing in Malaysia?

I can relate to the jetlag thing. Went to China a few years back and the flight took forever. Iowa to L.A., L.A. to Beijing. Great trip though.

So are you going through Oblivion withdrawl yet?

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
So what are you doing in Malaysia?

I can relate to the jetlag thing. Went to China a few years back and the flight took forever. Iowa to L.A., L.A. to Beijing. Great trip though.

So are you going through Oblivion withdrawl yet?
You live in Iowa? That's where I was born and raised, lived there 27 years.

I work for Intel finance, in the boards and systems group. We have a ton of manufacturing plants over here and most of the finance team is here now as well - more than double the US staff. I'm working on some projects (process improvement stuff) and got sent at the last minute to help clear up some issues with management. Not fun stuff. On the plus side, I just had some great Indian food. I miss my wife and kids something wicked.

I miss my 360 too (and Oblivion, still my only retail game after four months); it hit the second I walked into the hotel. Serious withdrawl pains. I was just starting the Dark Brotherhood. :(

Funny side-note: the Singapore airport has a bunch of XBox kiosks setup, with Dead or Alive, Project Gotham and Mech assault set up, among others. Of all the systems to have kiosks in Asia - it's the only one in the airport - I wasn't expecting the XBox to be it. :lol

I live in Austin, TX now, but I was born, and raised in Iowa too. Just moved here about a year ago. Where did you live in Iowa?

While I was in China I didn't see the Xbox at all, but the PS2 was around, and lots of cheap knock-offs. :) It was hilarious to see something called the GameStation that looked like the PS1/2 but had all of it's games built in. :lol

Sucks that you had to leave when you were about to start the Dark Brotherhood. It'll give you something to look forward to when you get back. It's too bad that PSP version doesn't exist now! ;)

We're closing in on 10k posts. Hopefully you'll be able to keep posting while you're there. Have fun!

I was required to get a mage's staff in the mage's quest. I've never used it and it just taking up weight on my dude. Can I sell it or am I going to need later in the mage's quest or the plot?

I also need a house. What's the cheapest and easiest one to get?

siamesedreamer said:
I was required to get a mage's staff in the mage's quest. I've never used it and it just taking up weight on my dude. Can I sell it or am I going to need later in the mage's quest or the plot?

I also need a house. What's the cheapest and easiest one to get?

I don't think you ever need the staff, and yes you can sell it. But, it's a very powerful item if you use it in combat. ranged damage that is very high.

As for houses, cheapest is in the Waterfront District of the Imperial City. Only 2000 gold. It's just a little shack, but you can buy some storage for it to dump your extra stuff into. For 5k you can get a rundown manor house in Anvil that has a quest attached. Complete the quest, and you'll get the house fully upgraded with all the interior features.

GhaleonEB

siamesedreamer said:
Cool.......How do I go about finding the quest for the one in Anvil. Do I need to talk to the person in charge of the city?
There are several people who will bring it up. Try the guards and the people at the inn.

KFJ - I was born in Marion, Iowa. Lived there 12 years and moved to Iowa City, where I stayed the rest of the time. Only moved out about two years ago. Small world. :)

Ok, so after a lot of 4am marathons, I finally acquired myself a full set of 100% Chameleon suit. I have 2 questions:

1. Is this cheating and should I feel bad for being able to slaughter everyone in the whole continent without them seeing me?

2. I think I might have seen a black, leather looking armor set in a 360 screenshot. Anyone know where I can find it?

GhaleonEB

gettergooey said:
Ok, so after a lot of 4am marathons, I finally acquired myself a full set of 100% Chameleon suit. I have 2 questions:

1. Is this cheating and should I feel bad for being able to slaughter everyone in the whole continent without them seeing me?

2. I think I might have seen a black, leather looking armor set in a 360 screenshot. Anyone know where I can find it?
1) Nope, but I'd personally bump the difficulty up a notch or two just to give them a chance. :lol
2) You get that as part of the Dark Brotherhood. The enchantments are incredible and it looks badass.

GhaleonEB said:
KFJ - I was born in Marion, Iowa. Lived there 12 years and moved to Iowa City, where I stayed the rest of the time. Only moved out about two years ago. Small world. :)

I was born in Dubuque, lived there until I moved to Ames for college, then settled in Des Moines for awhile before moving, as I said, a little more than a year ago. Small world indeed. :)

As for the 100% Chamelion armor, I wouldn't call it cheating, but it does make the game much much easier. Without moving the difficulty up, as Ghaleon has suggested, it can become pretty unbalancing.

So is there any real effect to upping the difficulty in this case? I mean, they still can't see me, so combat is still without any challenge.

Also I read about the Dark Brotherhood bit - do I need to wear both the Shroud Armour and Shroud Hood together to get the enchanments? I already have the
Grey Cowl
and would like to wear that as much as possible when I'm raiding dungeons.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
gettergooey said:
So is there any real effect to upping the difficulty in this case? I mean, they still can't see me, so combat is still without any challenge.

Also I read about the Dark Brotherhood bit - do I need to wear both the Shroud Armour and Shroud Hood together to get the enchanments? I already have the
Grey Cowl
and would like to wear that as much as possible when I'm raiding dungeons.
I'd recommend against doing the 100% chameleon. It really sucks the fun out of the game, as there isn't a challenge anymore. There is no real effect to upping the difficulty, other than the fact that it takes longer to kill the creature that can't see you than it did before.

And for any piece of armor, you only have to wear the individual piece to get the enchantment. There are no "sets" of armor that confer additional benefits if you wear all pieces, so to speak.

Yeah, I think I'm going to put away the Chameleon suit - I just did a run of some of harder dungeons and it just kills the atmospshere and makes the game looks like it's broken.

Although I might still use it in the Arena as my thief can't beat those damn Wood Elf twins.

gblues

Banned
gettergooey said:

It's not so much cheating as it is game-breaking. Save the chameleon outfit for when you're trying to sneak to a known objective. For example, in the Thieves Guild quest
where you go into the Moth Priest temple after the scrying stone
, I used a 40% chameleon outfit to sneak my way through the caves. Made it really tense when sneaking around skeletons and such. But with 100% chameleon you're just not going to get spotted, so I'd only use like 25-40% chameleon to give yourself an advantage but still have a risk.

Nathan

bengraven

Thread is pumping back to life!

I haven't played since I downloaded all the new content. I need something completely exciting to be uploaded. Mehrune's Razor will have to do in the meantime.

Yeah, I'd agree on the comments that 100% Chameleon really does break the game. It becomes far too easy, although as others have suggested, it is useful on stealth runs for the thieves guild. Still, it can make them too easy as well.

GhaleonEB

gettergooey said:
Yeah, I think I'm going to put away the Chameleon suit - I just did a run of some of harder dungeons and it just kills the atmospshere and makes the game looks like it's broken.

Although I might still use it in the Arena as my thief can't beat those damn Wood Elf twins.
You have to wear the Arena armor when you enter. :)

Have your thief mix up a few poisons and tag the twins with an arrow or two. Death will follow before too long.

GhaleonEB said:
You have to wear the Arena armor when you enter. :)

Have your thief mix up a few poisons and tag the twins with an arrow or two. Death will follow before too long.

I've loaded the game prior to making the Chameleon suit but my plan for the Arena is to have Chameleon on 2 rings, 1 amulet, 1 hood and 1 shield, making it possible for me to wear the Arena outfit. So theoretically it still works right?

Anyway, I got the Shroud Armor and it does look badass. That with the
Grey Cowl
boosted my Stealth to 105, which is really great when skirting around the minotaurs in the dungeons.

Yeah, that should still work. None of the stuff you are wearing should interfere with the armor slots, so you should still get your 100% chameleon. That should allow you to make short order out of any opponent in the Arena.

Just beware the fanboy! :lol

Steve/Vark: Congrats on the G-Phoria Game of the Year win. Well deserved to be sure. It's easily my game of the year so far as well, and one of my all time favorites. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us next! (DLC excluded of course! ;) )

Raiden

Banned
Oh god something is horribly wrong with me :(

I cant seem to enjoy it :(, i dont really know what to do, and i dont seem to lv up, im lv 3 now, after playing for like 14 hours, im still playing with that same ****ing katana, and im still using that same ****ing firespell.

Somebody please give me some hints how to start off good, where to go for quests, and where do i learn stuff?

:(

Im in the Thieves Guild, and in The Blades for the main Quest...pretty boring, but im just in the thieves guild, after the test, so i dont have to do Quests for them..yet.

Somebody tell me it all gets better.

Raiden said:
Oh god something is horribly wrong with me :(

I cant seem to enjoy it :(, i dont really know what to do, and i dont seem to lv up, im lv 3 now, after playing for like 14 hours, im still playing with that same ****ing katana, and im still using that same ****ing firespell.

Somebody please give me some hints how to start off good, where to go for quests, and where do i learn stuff?

:(

Im in the Thieves Guild, and in The Blades for the main Quest...pretty boring, but im just in the thieves guild, after the test, so i dont have to do Quests for them..yet.

Somebody tell me it all gets better.

9853 posts into this thread and you have to ask if it gets better?

First of all, why aren't you getting better weapons and spells? Spells are very easy to find. You'll find new ones to buy in any Mage Guild in any of the towns, and there are also shops that sell them as well. Go to the Market District in the Imperial City, you'll find some spells to buy at reasonable prices. Or, go through the Mage Guild Questline and you'll be given new spells as you advance, and you'll even get a decent staff.

As for equipment, it gets much better as you level up, and while in the Mage Guild you can even enchant your own items, or make powerful weapons. Being only third level though, you can't expect to have found some awesomely powerful weapon yet. Although, if you do want to try to acquire one at that level, find the dungeon called Vindasel locted to the South of the Imperial City. You'll meet a nice lady with a sword called Umbra. :D

I'd recommend that you take a few side quests and find your direction in the game. There are dozens of them to do, so just talk to some people and acquire a few. It may also be in your benefit to go tomb raiding. Find some random dungeon/cave/fort and just explore it, get some items to sell or for your own use, and build some experience.

Beyond that, where exactly are you having issues with the game?

Raiden

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
9853 posts into this thread and you have to ask if it gets better?

First of all, why aren't you getting better weapons and spells? Spells are very easy to find. You'll find new ones to buy in any Mage Guild in any of the towns, and there are also shops that sell them as well. Go to the Market District in the Imperial City, you'll find some spells to buy at reasonable prices. Or, go through the Mage Guild Questline and you'll be given new spells as you advance, and you'll even get a decent staff.

As for equipment, it gets much better as you level up, and while in the Mage Guild you can even enchant your own items, or make powerful weapons. Being only third level though, you can't expect to have found some awesomely powerful weapon yet. Although, if you do want to try to acquire one at that level, find the dungeon called Vindasel locted to the South of the Imperial City. You'll meet a nice lady with a sword called Umbra. :D

I'd recommend that you take a few side quests and find your direction in the game. There are dozens of them to do, so just talk to some people and acquire a few. It may also be in your benefit to go tomb raiding. Find some random dungeon/cave/fort and just explore it, get some items to sell or for your own use, and build some experience.

Beyond that, where exactly are you having issues with the game?

Hmm, will do! I dont think i'll be bothering myself with the Main Quest for a while. As for my issues with the game, its my shallow mind i guess, im too used to other rpgs their system for leveling up and questing, i also didnt really liked that i allready got a mount after 1 hour or so, kinda spoils it. Also when im wandering around i find myself usually bored, so thats kinda the main problem, im not really having fun....yet.

Gonna play for a while now, i'll only come back when i love it:D

Raiden said:
Hmm, will do! I dont think i'll be bothering myself with the Main Quest for a while. As for my issues with the game, its my shallow mind i guess, im too used to other rpgs their system for leveling up and questing, i also didnt really liked that i allready got a mount after 1 hour or so, kinda spoils it. Also when im wandering around i find myself usually bored, so thats kinda the main problem, im not really having fun....yet.

Gonna play for a while now, i'll only come back when i love it:D

You don't have to get a mount that quickly, it's just that, as all things in Oblivion, it's available to you when ever you want. Now, you can get better mounts later in the game, I will tell you that.

The Main Quest is good, but it does take awhile to get going. Have you gone to Kavatch yet? It's one of the early Main Quest missions, and it's pretty intense. But, you can ignore the Main Quest for as long as you'd like, and many of us in this thread did just that.

It sounds like you just need some direction. Like I said, I'd recommend some Guild and Side Quests. The Thieves Guild is good, but the Dark Brotherhood is much much better. If you enjoy the game though, I'd recommend that you hold off on that Questline because pretty much everything else pales in comparision. Do the Mage Guild Quest, as it gets you some nice benefits, and take some breaks to do some side quests, and dungeon exploring to level up.

Vark

Solo said:
You guys wont let this die til 10,000, will ya? :lol

It's so close, yet so far away :p

btw Thank's KFJ. It's not like the oscar's or anything but we did get some free beer out of the deal :D

Solo said:
You guys wont let this die til 10,000, will ya? :lol

Nope! I'm personally going to get it there before I retire from the thread! :D

Vark said:
btw Thank's KFJ. It's not like the oscar's or anything but we did get some free beer out of the deal

Hey! Free beer! Can't complain about that! But seriously, Oblivion deserves all the accolades, and I expect it to win plenty more at the end of the year. You guys deserve all the free beer you get! :D

Top Bottom