• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Nope! I'm personally going to get it there before I retire from the thread! :D

Keep on preachin', brother! Dead Rising has put a serious dent in my Oblivion time, but I still make it a point to fire it up at least every other day. Looking forward to some more DLC!

Big Nate said:
Keep on preachin', brother! Dead Rising has put a serious dent in my Oblivion time, but I still make it a point to fire it up at least every other day. Looking forward to some more DLC!

I think Dead Rising has put a dent into a lot of time spend with other games. I've been playing a lot of Chromehounds lately, and DR has seen our squad numbers drop off over the past week or so. :lol

shpankey

not an idiot
i've put a lot of time in this again in the last week. can't believe how awesome it is. i need to give my 360 a break though. :lol

shpankey said:
i've put a lot of time in this again in the last week. can't believe how awesome it is. i need to give my 360 a break though. :lol

:lol :lol :lol I've thought the same thing on more than one extended gaming session! :D

JCBossman

Banned
Could someone tell me what those (I supose) Anti-Personell mines are in the Oblivion Realm? I mean all they do is spin around at eyelevel and FALL APART, (Not explode) in fact come to think of it short of the traps in the Ruins, the Physics are kinda weak, I mean for example the Balls and chain traps, seem to function in SLO-Mo, no real sense of force.same with the Blades that come down, and nothing breaks when it hits the ground,even the rag doll effect is kinda weak, I liked it better in DUEX EX:IW I mean you really got the impression that you were hitting with REAL force, by the ways the bodies flew:)

JCBossman said:
Could someone tell me what those (I supose) Anti-Personell mines are in the Oblivion Realm? I mean all they do is spin around at eyelevel and FALL APART, (Not explode) in fact come to think of it short of the traps in the Ruins, the Physics are kinda weak, I mean for example the Balls and chain traps, seem to function in SLO-Mo, no real sense of force.same with the Blades that come down, and nothing breaks when it hits the ground,even the rag doll effect is kinda weak, I liked it better in DUEX EX:IW I mean you really got the impression that you were hitting with REAL force, by the ways the bodies flew:)

Personally, I thought most of the traps were very well done, and they did have a lot of weight to them when you saw an NPC or enemy get caught in the.

The land mine things weren't very good however. At first I tried to avoid them and when they went off, sending blades flying, I was always nervous. Then I noticed that I wasn't taking much damage from them at all, and I quit worrying about them all together.

As for the rad doll effects, I thought they were well done as well. What level are you? Because I have spells, and a powerful bow, that will send weaker characters (ie: Non-daedra) flying across the room when I hit them with them. The spells are especially fun to watch. :lol

LakeEarth

Some time I hit someone so hard they hit the ceiling and stuck up there for like 5 seconds before falling back down. It was awesome :lol

bengraven said:
Any word on new DLC lately?

I haven't heard a word about any new DLC in the pipeline. It would be interesting to know how the others have sold. Did they see good sales across the line, or did releasing something new every week or so see a gradual drop off in sales?

Obviously DLC can make some good money, as was seen in Ubi Soft's announcement that they had made over $1 million in sales of COD2 maps.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I haven't heard a word about any new DLC in the pipeline. It would be interesting to know how the others have sold. Did they see good sales across the line, or did releasing something new every week or so see a gradual drop off in sales?

Obviously DLC can make some good money, as was seen in Ubi Soft's announcement that they had made over $1 million in sales of COD2 maps.

that's interesting how Ubi Soft gets paid from an Activision published game :p

soul creator said:
that's interesting how Ubi Soft gets paid from an Activision published game :p

LOL! Yeah, isn't it! ;)

Ok, so must have been an Activision announcement. I do know that it was a million bucks made, so I guess I was dazzled by that big number.:lol

bengraven

Kung Fu Jedi said:

I was thinking about that, too. Oblivion is entering some huge sales numbers and will be rivaling CoD2 soon, so I wonder how much content has been downloaded.

I really hope the content gets bigger as we go along, though. Five dollars for a single, average length quest is a bit questionable. Of course, content takes time...

bengraven said:
I really hope the content gets bigger as we go along, though. Five dollars for a single, average length quest is a bit questionable. Of course, content takes time...

This is exactly why I've been so anti-DLC in this thread. I don't dislike the concept of DLC, but I want value for my money. I don't want to shell out five bucks for a fancy house and an hour long quest. But give me a series of quests that take six to eight hours, and I'd find that to be worthwhile. I can do without the fancy houses though.

But I digress... I've beaten that dead horse enough. :D

I bought the manor in Anvil and there's some kind of symbol thingy in the basement that says you can open. But, it won't let me open it for some reason. What do I need to do?

siamesedreamer said:
I bought the manor in Anvil and there's some kind of symbol thingy in the basement that says you can open. But, it won't let me open it for some reason. What do I need to do?

Go take a nice long nap, and all shall be revealed. :)

GhaleonEB

LakeEarth said:
It wouldn't have died if you bought some horse armor.
:lol :lol :lol

Well played.

Now that I'm an Expert at Marksman, I randomly - but frequently - get a knockdown with my arrows. The ragdoll effects when I do it are awesome. I had a fight recently where nailed a vampire standing high up on a platform from sneak. 25 points fire damage, poisoned arrow that did 10pts shock damage....all from sneak, AND I got the knockdown. The poor guy was launched a good 30 feet through the air, and did this great arc down to the ground, on fire. The arrow did a huge amount of damage - but the fall killed him. It was glorious.

Needless to say - I'm a fan of the ragdoll physics. I have been ever since I got a guy snagged in the chandelere of one of the castles by knocking him off the balcony. :lol

gblues

Banned
JCBossman said:

Well, they do release a fireball, so perhaps the stress of launching the fireball makes them fall apart. I dunno.

Nathan

shpankey

not an idiot
anyone know how i can find my horse? i played this game a long time ago then about a week ago started playing hardcore again, but dunno where i left my horse. i may have left him outside when i was at the place (pond) trying to find the Ninroot. he has armor on btw.

shpankey said:
anyone know how i can find my horse? i played this game a long time ago then about a week ago started playing hardcore again, but dunno where i left my horse. i may have left him outside when i was at the place (pond) trying to find the Ninroot. he has armor on btw.

Go back to the place you bought it or first earned it, depending on the horse and it should be in the stable there.

Wizard's Fury = best spell I've seen

I got it after becoming a Wizard in the Mage's Guild quest line.

I was able to take on 5 necromancers at one time and I ****ing slaughtered them.

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!

siamesedreamer said:
Wizard's Fury = best spell I've seen

I got it after becoming a Wizard in the Mage's Guild quest line.

I was able to take on 5 necromancers at one time and I ****ing slaughtered them.

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!

Yeah, probably my favorite spell as well. Once I earned it, it became my mainstay attack spell throughout the game, even though I had more powerful spells later on. It's just a good mix of damage without costing too much to spend. And at later levels, when my Destruction skill was maxed out, and I had full Magica points, it was practically free to cast it.

shpankey

not an idiot
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Go back to the place you bought it or first earned it, depending on the horse and it should be in the stable there.
not sure where that was. at this point. though i've checked quite a few stables so far to no avail.

shpankey said:
not sure where that was. at this point. though i've checked quite a few stables so far to no avail.

In that case, I think you're screwed. I know the horse will return to it's orginal spot if you lose it. The other possibility is that it's dead.

bengraven

Horse armor is the only thing I have yet to download. I did download the others; I'm all about supporting the company. I just can't see spending 200 points on only two different sets of armor. Knamean?!

Of all the DLC, I'd say the horse armor is the most useless, and least worth the points. The others all have features that can help you much more thoughout the game, even if the attached quests are fairly short.

gblues

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
:lol

Now the armor is a "consumable". I'm sure it's been destroyed beyond repair, and now you'll need to buy a new set. Only 400 points though. :lol

LOL I know you're joking, but you can buy a new set of horse armor from the same guy that gave you the first set (the stable just outside the Imperial City).

Nathan

I'd say of the downloadable content, Dunbarrow Cove is definitely the best so far. Not much is cooler than sending a bunch of swashbucklers out to plunder while you kick back (other than joining them yourself :lol ).

GhaleonEB

masterofbathhouseterror said:
I'd say of the downloadable content, Dunbarrow Cove is definitely the best so far. Not much is cooler than sending a bunch of swashbucklers out to plunder while you kick back (other than joining them yourself :lol ).
Can you actually go with them? What do they do when they are out?

You get a message saying they will return in a week. After they've returned, they need 24 hours to "rest," after which point you can send them out again. Plunder varies by level, I currently get 1000 gold (level 13). Now, it would've been really great if you could go with them, but you can't. :(

Still, the hideout alone is great.

GhaleonEB

masterofbathhouseterror said:
You get a message saying they will return in a week. After they've returned, they need 24 hours to "rest," after which point you can send them out again. Plunder varies by level, I currently get 1000 gold (level 13). Now, it would've been really great if you could go with them, but you can't. :(

Still, the hideout alone is great.
Yeah, that's a little disappointing. Would have been cool if they actually had a full script where they went looting to various places, and you could follow or just run accross them. "Atta boys!" :lol

Wolffen

100 more posts to go! I can't wait to break the game out again after I get my HDTV. Should be picking up a 50" A2000 in about 2 weeks or less (maybe even a week now). I've been playing on a 32" Sony Trinitron via s-video the whole time. There's a few areas I'm sure will blow me away again.

I've been giving the game a break for a few weeks after finally beating the game, and while I've been busy consulting (earning that extra money for the new TV and custom-built entertainment center) on nights and weekends. I'm about ready to get back into it though. Still need to max out my character, and try out stacking potions on arrows. That would have made sooo many battles easier if I had known about it.

bengraven

I think my favorite downloadable content is Dunbarrow, also. Though I do like the Vile Lair. I have yet to try out Mehrune's Razor, though. Not sure why. Maybe because I heard there's so much loot you have to take multiple trips in and out and I wasn't in the mood? :lol

GhaleonEB

bengraven said:
I think my favorite downloadable content is Dunbarrow, also. Though I do like the Vile Lair. I have yet to try out Mehrune's Razor, though. Not sure why. Maybe because I heard there's so much loot you have to take multiple trips in and out and I wasn't in the mood? :lol
The loot is INSANE, though oddly the titular Razor I found to be entirely useless. Bring some Feather spells. And Feather enchanted equipment. And Feather potions....

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i'm sorry if this has been asked before, but it's hard to search:

how exactly do i cure vampirism? i thought it was a neat perk for a few days, then i got sick of not being able to fast travel or go outside during the day without feeding.

Wolffen said:
100 more posts to go! I can't wait to break the game out again after I get my HDTV. Should be picking up a 50" A2000 in about 2 weeks or less (maybe even a week now). I've been playing on a 32" Sony Trinitron via s-video the whole time. There's a few areas I'm sure will blow me away again.

I've been giving the game a break for a few weeks after finally beating the game, and while I've been busy consulting (earning that extra money for the new TV and custom-built entertainment center) on nights and weekends. I'm about ready to get back into it though. Still need to max out my character, and try out stacking potions on arrows. That would have made sooo many battles easier if I had known about it.

You'll love the game in HD. It looks very very nice.

One word on the poisions. They don't stack on the arrows themselves, but their effects stack on the creature you hit them with. So only use one poison per arrow. Add a different poison to the next arrow and their effects will stack.

Countdown to 10k has begun. Nearly there folks. Then you can be rid of me forever! :D

GhaleonEB

mattiewheels said:
i'm sorry if this has been asked before, but it's hard to search:

how exactly do i cure vampirism? i thought it was a neat perk for a few days, then i got sick of not being able to fast travel or go outside during the day without feeding.
Yeah, it got pretty old for me as well. You can ask about it at any of the churches/chapels/whatever in towns to get started. It's H-U-G-E multi-part fetch quest. Massive pain the rear. But worth it to get rid of the ailment.

Top Bottom