• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

demi

So I did the sewers part, and I'm outside

I get the choice to either go **** around, or follow the red arrow to the destination

I figure, let's follow the course and go to the red arrow...

Am I supposed to be making this world trek across the land? This place seems REALLY far.

edit: HEYYY i found it, sweet

demi said:

I get the choice to either go **** around, or follow the red arrow to the destination

Am I supposed to be making this world trek across the land? This place seems REALLY far.

:lol You edited your post before I could even reply! :lol Guess you don't need my help anymore. I guess this most is useless. Carry on. :D

GhaleonEB

demi said:

I took the extreme path the other way - I ****ed around so much I hadn't completed a single quest (tutorial aside) until over 30 hours into the game. I thought I'd be intimidated by the options, but I found I just reveled in them.

GhaleonEB

demi said:
Where do I go to join guilds so I can start earning these achievements? Can you join all of them at once?
Yes, you can join all of them at the same time.

Mage's Guild: Go to any guildhall in the cities (aside from the capital city)

Fighter's Guild: Same as Mage's Guild - they have guildhalls in all the cities aside from the capital.

Theive's Guild:
Talk to the beggers, or get tossed in Jail. You'll get a note eventually about where to meet.

Dark Brotherhood:
Murder someone, then take a nap. You'll get company.

The last two are more suble, tagged for the hell of it. The Dark Brotherhood ROOOOCKS and is better than even the main quest.

demi

So to murder someone I just walk up to them and be like "yo bitch, what did five fingers say to tha face?" STAB

and bail out?

GreekWolf

SteveMeister said:
There have been lots of new art assets in previous DLCs. Horse Armor was all new artwork. The entire Orrery was created for that DLC, large portions of Wizard's Tower were completely new, etc.
Steve, how about that Oblivion Overhaul mod? Is it possible for you guys to put together something like that for us 360 owners? Honestly, that's the kind of content most of us are looking for.

I would never presume to argue with you and Vark about the effort being put into the DLC... but surely it wouldn't be that difficult to re-skin some creatures ( from mountain lion -> lepoard ) or bump up the difficulty/aggressiveness of existing creatures in certain areas of the map and renaming them ( brown bear -> starving grizzly ). I would gladly pay an extra $10 for that sort of content.

GhaleonEB

demi said:
So to murder someone I just walk up to them and be like "yo bitch, what did five fingers say to tha face?" STAB

and bail out?
Yup. You'll face consequences if you get caught, though - guards will come after you. Though, getting tossed into jail will get you going on the Theive's Guild at the same time. :lol (Note: you suffer permenant stat damage for going to jail. Not recomended.)

Go into crouch/sneak mode and take someone out when they are not looking for extra damage. I snuck into some old ladie's house and knifed her while she slept. You'll know if it counted as a murder because you'll get a message that it was "observed by forces unseen".

demi said:

and bail out?

If you murder someone before they can raise an alarm, you'll get away with it without having a bounty put on your head. So, it's best to murder someone in their sleep, while you sneak up on them so you can do the most damage possible. If they wake up at all, you're probably screwed, and you'll get the bounty. But, once you have killed someone, you'll get a message saying your actions were observed by "Unknown Forces" which means you've successfully caught the attention of the Dark Brotherhood.

Many of us in this thread feel that the DB Questline is the best in the game, and I highly recommend saving it for later on. The Mages Guild and Fighters Guilds, while not as good, are both more usefull early on in helping you acquire new spells, items, and cash. The Thieves Guild is great as well. Second best of the Guilds for sure.

demi said:
Another dumb question

Can I focus on the main quest first, then do the guilds and arena when I finish that?

Yes. The game doesn't end when you finish the main quest.

And these are not dumb questions for someone just starting the game. Ask away! :)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
GreekWolf said:
Steve, how about that Oblivion Overhaul mod? Is it possible for you guys to put together something like that for us 360 owners? Honestly, that's the kind of content most of us are looking for.

The problem with offering user-made PC mods for 360 is that downloadable content has to go through Microsoft certification, and that means lots of our own QA department's time to test & designer and/or programmer time to debug mods we didn't even make in the first place. Not to mention making sure the content is appropriate to the rating and doesn't contain copyrighted materials. It's not likely to happen.

GreekWolf

SteveMeister said:
The problem with offering user-made PC mods for 360 is that downloadable content has to go through Microsoft certification, and that means lots of our own QA department's time to test & designer and/or programmer time to debug mods we didn't even make in the first place. Not to mention making sure the content is appropriate to the rating and doesn't contain copyrighted materials. It's not likely to happen.
Sorry Steve, I wasn't suggesting that you guys attempt to bring that actual mod to the 360. I was just curious if it were possible for Beth to create something similar. :)

bengraven

demi said:
Another dumb question

Can I focus on the main quest first, then do the guilds and arena when I finish that?

KFJ already answered part of this, but I wanted to add that you should really try the Dark Brotherhood first when you start the guild missions. It seems to be the most voted on favorite of the different guilds. Not only is killing people fun, but the story has a nice twist to it and the characters you meet are really entertaining.

bengraven said:
KFJ already answered part of this, but I wanted to add that you should really try the Dark Brotherhood first when you start the guild missions. It seems to be the most voted on favorite of the different guilds. Not only is killing people fun, but the story has a nice twist to it and the characters you meet are really entertaining.

I have to disagree with trying it first. As I suggested earlier, I recommend saving it for last. Why? Because once you do the DB, all the other Questlines pale in comparison. It would make doing the Fighters Guild quests in particular, seem really bad. At least in my opinion.

Edit: 900th Post!
In this thread!
:lol

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
GreekWolf said:
Sorry Steve, I wasn't suggesting that you guys attempt to bring that actual mod to the 360. I was just curious if it were possible for Beth to create something similar. :)

Well, we made the original game, what do YOU think? ;)

demi

rofl, I am getting obliterated in the Oblivion Gate Tower thing... I think I ran a marathon running laps around the freakin circular room

I'm glad the fireballs they throw are homing, nice touch. Really.

demi said:
rofl, I am getting obliterated in the Oblivion Gate Tower thing... I think I ran a marathon running laps around the freakin circular room

I'm glad the fireballs they throw are homing, nice touch. Really.

Yeah, the first trip into Oblivion can be rough! :) Learn to attack from a distance, build up your marksman skill or destruction magic skill. Oh, and save often. ;)

What type of character are you running?

demi said:
I dunno, I just did Custom and chose what sounded good.

That's cool. So what are your primary skills? Those are the ones that really determine what type of character you have, and how you progress in the game. Although you can get any skill in the game leveled up enough that it's very useful.

jda1977

2 quick questions

1. How do you kill will-o-wisps? They are a major pain and track me forever when i run :lol
2. Started over with my archer character. When you pull back an arrow, is there a way to not have to release it, to disengage and save the arrow once the bowstring is pulled back?

Thanks, liking this character alot more than my mage/fighter build.

demi

It says my Major Skills are..

Athletics
Blade
Destruction
Restoration
Mercantile
Security
Speechcraft

It says I should rest up and absorb what I've learned, which I gather is a level up, but when I do the wait thing it doesn't say I leveled up?

Nameless

demi said:
It says my Major Skills are..

Athletics
Blade
Destruction
Restoration
Mercantile
Security
Speechcraft

I would have choosen atleast one armor class, and maybe even block. Security is pretty useless IMO, as with a little practice you can pick even the hardest lock pretty easily. Merchantile should always be a minor IMO, as should speechcraft.

jda1977 said:
2 quick questions

1. How do you kill will-o-wisps? They are a major pain and track me forever when i run :lol
2. Started over with my archer character. When you pull back an arrow, is there a way to not have to release it, to disengage and save the arrow once the bowstring is pulled back?

1. Wisps need to be killed with magic or silver weapons. I generally used a basic destruction spell on them early on. Otherwise, I hope you have some silver arrows.

2. If you're playing on the 360, the only way to save the arrow is to shoot it at your feet, then reclaim it. Worked ok for me when ever I was in that situation, and comes in handy later on when you have magical arrows that you don't want to lose.

demi

Nameless said:
I would have choosen atleast one armor class, and maybe even block. Security is pretty useless IMO, as with a little practice you can pick even the hardest lock pretty easily. Merchantile should always be a minor IMO, as should speechcraft.

Well IMO it's too late for that, so I'm not too concerned

Nameless said:

I agree. Light or Heavy Armor would probably be more useful Mercantile and Speechcraft are both best as minor skills, as they are hard to level up, and don't prove all that useful in getting your ass out of a dungeon alive. Stealth is another good skill that can come in very handy, and I'm partial towards Marksman to compliment the Blade skills.

As for leveling up, you'll need to find a bed to sleep in to do that. And if there are enemies near by you won't be able to wait or rest. If you find a bed though, either in an Inn or you'll often come across one in a camp or dungeon, you can cursor over it and click on it, then choose to rest for x amount of hours. You'll level up from there, and get ot choose which stats you want to improve.

GreekWolf

demi said:
It says I should rest up and absorb what I've learned, which I gather is a level up, but when I do the wait thing it doesn't say I leveled up?
Only way to level up is to grab a bed and catch a few z's.

One dude on the official boards didn't figure that out for the first 50 hours he played, so by the time he finally took his first nap, he jumped like ten levels

Shouta

jda1977 said:
2 quick questions

Will-o-wisps need to be killed with magic, silver or enchanted items. You can switch weapons if you have an arrow ready to not shoot it as I recall.

demi

No that strategy didn't work, I grabbed the Sigil and it was like... ok, what now? And it exploded and I died for some reason.

I dunno, I loaded my other save up, I think Oblivion can wait... guess I'll do some guilds.

raYne

demi said:
No that strategy didn't work, I grabbed the Sigil and it was like... ok, what now? And it exploded and I died for some reason.

I dunno, I loaded my other save up, I think Oblivion can wait... guess I'll do some guilds.
Eh? it's supposed to explode, but you don't die in it. After you grab the stone the explosion happens and the whole place goes up. Then you get teleported from Oblivion.

Are you sure you died and didn't just think you did?

phinious

Anyway to reassociate save games to a new user on the 360 version? I started the game before I had internet at my new pad. So I didnt have my Live account switched from my xbox to my 360 yet.

That means I have to sign off my live enabled account and log into my other account in order to play a saved game. The problem is I like to chat with friends while playing.

Someone help! I tried loading a saved game, then logging off and relogging as my Live enabled account so that I could then make a new save. It boots you outta the game before you can save though=(

It's possible upon grabbing the Sigil Stone you died before you could get teleported out of Oblivion. After you grab it, if your health is low, keep moving and avoid the bad guys. :lol

raYne

phinious said:
Anyway to reassociate save games to a new user on the 360 version? I started the game before I had internet at my new pad. So I didnt have my Live account switched from my xbox to my 360 yet.
You could try a memory card, but normally no. You can't transfer saves between profiles.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
GreekWolf said:
One dude on the official boards didn't figure that out for the first 50 hours he played, so by the time he finally took his first nap, he jumped like ten levels

Err... that didn't happen to me. I hadn't slept in like 15-20 realtime hours, so when I did, I went up 1 level, but my level-up bar was still full. I could have slept again and gained another 1 level, right then.

In fact, I'm still not caught up. I didn't wanna gain 10 levels right at once, so I just sleep once every time I boot up the game. I've done this like 8 times now, and every time my level bar is still completely full, ready to level me up again, should I sleep again.

Edit: And yes, I'm sure Demi grabbed the sigil stone then got fireballed/maced in the face. There's actually quite a bit of time from the grab to when you get booted out of Oblivion. It's more than 10 seconds IIRC. I've died during that time, too. Grab it, then run like hell.

demi

Kung Fu Jedi said:
It's possible upon grabbing the Sigil Stone you died before you could get teleported out of Oblivion. After you grab it, if your health is low, keep moving and avoid the bad guys. :lol

It would help if I knew I got teleported out of Oblivion, it was like, great, I got the sigil... ok... oh well. I joined the Mages guild.

This is an extremely boring game, btw.

GreekWolf

GDJustin said:
Err... that didn't happen to me. I hadn't slept in like 15-20 realtime hours, so when I did, I went up 1 level, but my level-up bar was still full. I could have slept again and gained another 1 level, right then.
That's probably what he did... just kept sleeping until his progress bar was empty. I kind of did the same thing, being in the middle of a tough quest and didn't want to take time out for sleep until I finished. When I finally got around to finding a bed, I continued resting until I jumped from like 9 to 12.

I was feeling pretty cocky about the level increase, until I walked outdoors and those wimpy black bears turned into angry brown bears.

demi

OH MY GOD THIS IS SO BORING

"Let's go hunting!" he bellows

"Sweet, finally some action" I chime in

He's walking. Slowly. Casually walking. Towards mountain lions.

WHAT THE SHIT.

demi said:
OH MY GOD THIS IS SO BORING

"Let's go hunting!" he bellows

"Sweet, finally some action" I chime in

He's walking. Slowly. Casually walking. Towards mountain lions.

WHAT THE SHIT.

I have found memories of that mission.

Not really.

demi

Yeah, I can't take this game anymore.

I went to the rental store and picked up Prey and Tomb Raider Legend instead.

Nameless

demi said:
It would help if I knew I got teleported out of Oblivion, it was like, great, I got the sigil... ok... oh well. I joined the Mages guild.

This is an extremely boring game, btw.

demi
DO NOT BELIEVE MY GAME IMPRESSIONS
(Today, 06:03 PM)

j/k...

The Fighters Guild Missions are the most boring by far, save 1 or 2 in the middle and the last two or so quest. The Dark Brotherhood quest line is amazing, and the Theives guild is fun too. Dick around the cities as well, there are several fun quest to be given out by various townspeople.

I havn't done the mage guild, though. I could no longer stand ignoring the main quest.

GhaleonEB

demi said:
Yeah, I can't take this game anymore.

I went to the rental store and picked up Prey and Tomb Raider Legend instead.
:lol

Oblivion isn't about instant gratification, that's for sure. Developing your character, raiding dungeons, searching for side-quests, creating and using new weapons and spells.....not the same as bang bang.

demi

I love Kings Field but this game is just so MEH to me.

This game will be used as a reminder to never let TekunoRobby recommend me a game to play EVER.

Any quests or mission in which you have to follow someone around are indeed way too slow and boring. Next time out, lets not have too many of those quests, or find a way to speed them up.

Oh, and Demi, I'm a huge King's Field fan as well.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
What can I say, I only recommend the best. I have a feeling he'll be harping on how awesome Enchanted Arms is within a week or two.

And yes King's Field is awesome!

Top Bottom