• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

bengraven

mysticstylez said:
Well I just completed the main questline, and let me just say that the end battle rocked. I love epic scale battles. Clocked it at just a tad under 40 hours too, 39:46 to be exact.

The only problem is now I don't really feel compelled to complete everything, I completed the Arena, Dark Brotherhood, and Mage's Guild questlines. I felt like the faction questlines were made to build you up for the main questline, and now that its over I don't see any reason to play any more.

Too bad the Dark Brotherhood questline didn't last longer, that alone was worth the 60 bucks IMO.

The Fighter's Guild quest is okay. Halfway through there's an interesting quest, but other than that, it's fairly blah.

However, the Thieves Guild quest is very fun. And worth it.

-Rogue5-

demi said:
No, I mean anywhere, not specifically the main questline. If I'm doing my task given and I come across some random dungeon, I don't see the point in exploring it, it is just a waste of time.

I understand playing with a good system helps things, but I don't have that option, much like other people, I'm sure.

I felt/feel the same way... I beat "everything" (read: all 1000 achievement points) and it took me about 45 hours (25ish for the mainquest and 20 for the auxiliary "achievement" questlines)... When I told my friends (some of whom have spent 100+ hours on the game without finishing the main quest) they couldn't believe how fast I ripped through it... So, yeah, I stuck strictly to getting the objectives done and, personally, I ended up loving the game (objectively, it clearly had its shit together from the get-go).

Like I said, if I ended up only playing on PC I never would have finished. It wasn't until I made a point of going through the achievements (main quest first) that I had a ball with the game. But, again, either way, even if I ended up not liking it, it was still obvious to see why RPG fans like this game. Naw Meen?

Demi: If it's such a struggle to find the game enjoyable, and you have a bunch of other things to play, then just don't play. Seriously, you clearly can't appreciate the game, and as I said in an earlier post, the wide-open, exploration style of play is certainly not for everyone. JRPG's tend to be very linear, and a lot of people who play them, and love them, can't grasp a game like the Elder Scrolls, which are not linear at all, encourage you to explore, and offer up complete freedom to play the game the way you want to.

Clearly, this isn't a game for you. Sell it now, cut your losses, and play Enchant Arms. You'll probably enjoy it much more.

mysticstylez said:
Well I just completed the main questline, and let me just say that the end battle rocked. I love epic scale battles. Clocked it at just a tad under 40 hours too, 39:46 to be exact.

The only problem is now I don't really feel compelled to complete everything, I completed the Arena, Dark Brotherhood, and Mage's Guild questlines. I felt like the faction questlines were made to build you up for the main questline, and now that its over I don't see any reason to play any more.

Too bad the Dark Brotherhood questline didn't last longer, that alone was worth the 60 bucks IMO.

As bengraven has already stated, the Thieves Guild is probably worth your time. It's my second favorite questline of the Guild Quests, behind the Dark Brotherhood. Fighters Guild is the worst imho, and if it bores you, don't drag yourself through it, but if you want all the achievements you'll have to slog through.

demi

Ok maybe I'm not coming in clear

I'm simply saying that I can't get into the game as much as certain LARPers can like GhaleonEB, or even you -- feel free to post your cosplay photos, btw. But I can play the game just fine. I said I am forcing myself to play it for the achievement points (i am an addict) -- but I also said I wasn't hating it. To me, it's just a game. To you, it's a fanfiction come reality. Like I said, I enjoy Kings Field, that's probably why I can tolerate the game.

Better?

AND FYI Enchanted Arms is on its way from GamezNFlix, so nyah.

Maridia

Holy shit, GhaleonEB. Your love for the game is scary as hell. I've got the 360, but I hated Morrowind. Never had any desire to try out Oblivion. After reading that, though...

demi

Maridia said:
Holy shit, GhaleonEB. Your love for the game is scary as hell. I've got the 360, but I hated Morrowind. Never had any desire to try out Oblivion. After reading that, though...

^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS IS WHAT I MEAN

Read this post please, KFJ

demi said:

I'm simply saying that I can't get into the game as much as certain LARPers can like GhaleonEB, or even you -- feel free to post your cosplay photos, btw. But I can play the game just fine. I said I am forcing myself to play it for the achievement points (i am an addict) -- but I also said I wasn't hating it. To me, it's just a game. To you, it's a fanfiction come reality.

Better?

Demi, I know how you feel, at first I was forcing myself to play it. However once I started the Dark Brotherhood questline, I fell in love.

I have the attention span of a twig, and I never put more than 10 hours into any RPG before Oblivion. Once you get a hold of a good quest in this game you then get sucked in. If not for the actual gamplay itself, but just that there are so many little storylines woven into the whole game, that give Oblivion such great ambiance.

Give it some more time, start doing the Dark Brothehood quests, if you don't like it then, I would stop playing.

demi said:

I'm simply saying that I can't get into the game as much as certain LARPers can like GhaleonEB, or even you -- feel free to post your cosplay photos, btw. But I can play the game just fine. I said I am forcing myself to play it for the achievement points (i am an addict) -- but I also said I wasn't hating it. To me, it's just a game. To you, it's a fanfiction come reality. Like I said, I enjoy Kings Field, that's probably why I can tolerate the game.

Better?

WTF? Why the hell are you going on about LARPing and fanfiction to me exactly? Neither of them have a thing to do with this game, this discussion, or anything I personally have an interest in.

I just don't understand why you would "force yourself" to play a game just for the achievements. You're right, you didn't say you hate it, but you clearly aren't having all that much fun with it, and why play a game at all if you aren't getting enjoyment out of it? Achievements, for me, is not a good enough answer. If I'm not having much fun with a game, that I'm not going to subject myself to 40+ hours of play just to get some achievements. And that's about what you're going to need to collect them all.

AND FYI, I'll probably play Enchant Arms as well eventually. That wasn't a slam on that game at all. It just seems more suited for your type of game play and style. So nyah back at ya'.

demi said:
^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS IS WHAT I MEAN

Read this post please, KFJ

I've read it. I can understan why someone would read his GIANT post and feel that way. I'm just not really sure what it has to do with me exactly.

demi said:
OK YOU KNOW WHAT FORGET IT

I'm going to go back and continue playing my game.

Great. But when you get a chance, and you return to this thread, be sure to let me know what the whole LARPing/Fan fiction thing has to do with me, and the fact that I enjoy playing Oblivion. I didn't write that large post earlier. I won't even touch the whole cosplay comment.

And for the record, there is probably a lot more fan fiction out their for the JRPG's that you play than there is for Oblivion. the fans of Final Fantasy alone have created plenty of odd crap to fill up the Internet.

demi

Even better, I'll write my own story so good even Hustler and GhaleonEB would be ashamed.

As he thrust his vigourous member into the demon's membrane... I knew this was it. I had contracted vampirism.

demi said:
Even better, I'll write my own story so good even Hustler and GhaleonEB would be ashamed.

As he thrust his vigourous member into the demon's membrane... I knew this was it. I had contracted vampirism.

Thanks...now I'll never get that, along with your general avatar images, out of my brain. :D

demi said:
I just got Red Rage from this fukin rat, is this stuff permanent? Do my stats come back when it's gone?

You should be able to get that fixed at the local temple.

By the way, I was doing some travelling along the eastern edge of the map, what I came across a secluded little cave called "Lost Boys Cavern". It was full of necromances and skeletons, as well as a few liches. There's a few bits of reading material that give you some backstory to read as you go along and a ton of treasure throughout. Might be worth a look see for anyone that's looking for something to do.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I've read it. I can understan why someone would read his GIANT post and feel that way. I'm just not really sure what it has to do with me exactly.
It was an odd post. I wanted to do a number of things:

1) State that I'm done playing for now
2) Sum up my feelings on the game (I never did post a "review")
3) Describe a really fun rampage I did to wrap things up

Bear in mind it was 2am in the morning when I was done, so it got a little weird. But I also wanted to illustrate that Bethesda's goal of letting me "live another life, in another world" was fully realized. I made up my own quests, went my own way and really invested myself in the character. It's like the game was made just for me. Ever had that feeling with a game, Mr. Advent Rising?

I remember when I was a kid and Tie Fighter came out on the PC. We had a 386 with 4 megs of RAM, no sound card and a monochrome monitor. I had to turn off all the effects, make the view window small and imagine my own sound effects and soundtrack. I did that, and I loved the game, nerfed to hell and all.

With Oblivion, I similarly used my imagination. I didn't limit the stories being told to the ones written into the game. I took up certain quests and goals that were utterly informal and up to me. I imagined a backstory for my character, which dictated how I equipped her and what her fighting style was. I used my imagination to fill in the blanks.

What can I say? I really, really love this game. I'm just not sure how to sum it up effectively.

GreekWolf

demi said:
Where are Garrisans Tears? I killed the ice troll and it's like... ok... what now.
TearLocations.jpg

Search the ground surrounding Garridan for Garridan's Tears; there are five of them. Four will be scattered on the ground around the frozen warriors. A fifth tear should be up on top of the rock hosting the ice sculpture, on the opposite side from the tree-bridge. If you need help, see the image at right. It is also helpful to know that when standing near a tear, you will see purple effects around you for a brief moment. They are extremely tiny and hard to find.

yonder

mysticstylez said:

You did all that in 40 hours? Have you visited all the cities? You should at least do the thieves guild.

Yusaku

-Rogue5- said:
I felt/feel the same way... I beat "everything" (read: all 1000 achievement points) and it took me about 45 hours (25ish for the mainquest and 20 for the auxiliary "achievement" questlines)... When I told my friends (some of whom have spent 100+ hours on the game without finishing the main quest) they couldn't believe how fast I ripped through it... So, yeah, I stuck strictly to getting the objectives done and, personally, I ended up loving the game (objectively, it clearly had its shit together from the get-go).

Like I said, if I ended up only playing on PC I never would have finished. It wasn't until I made a point of going through the achievements (main quest first) that I had a ball with the game. But, again, either way, even if I ended up not liking it, it was still obvious to see why RPG fans like this game. Naw Meen?

Wow, my current character is at like 83 hours and I've only completed the Arena and the Thieves Guild. I'm only about 3/4th through the Mages Guild and the Dark Brotherhood. I'm very close to beating the main quest though. I've only done handful of non-guild related quests.

And that's WITH fast traveling just about everywhere.

I like fast travel, and the pointers to locations isn't a terrible thing, but having pointers telling you where specific people are is a bit much. There are several quests that are like "You must find so and so and blah blah blah." Well, that's not too exciting because the damn map tells me exactly where that person is. That should only allowed at easy difficulty levels or something.

yonder

Yusaku said:
I like fast travel, and the pointers to locations isn't a terrible thing, but having pointers telling you where specific people are is a bit much.
Nah, I like the pointers. Looking for people is just boring and taking away the pointers would just make it longer. Btw, am I the only one who wants a little map somewhere on the HUD? The compass is great and all, but I find mysef looking at the map quite often, especially in dungeons.

And hey, I'm 83 hours in, too. :)

EH if you dont like it demi, you dont like it

The reasons its better than morrowind to me is:

Combat

In morrowind you could be 2 inches from a guy and *miss* *miss* *miss* *miss* *!!hit!!*. it was all stats based in hit chance which annoying as all **** in a REALTIME combat engine

Questing

In morrowind the quests were so retarded to keep track of (the journal in oblivion is a godsend by comparison), in morrowind the "journal" is little more than a console that records events, out of order, as you came across them, so if you had a quest you had to flip page after page after page to piece together wtf you were supposed to do next.

Graphics

While in oblivion may be a matter of taste (face models are still kinda off), in morrowind they were 2 things, fugly and brown.

Gahleon: You don't need to explain your post to anyone. Everyone who has been in this thread knows you love the game, and playing 300+ hours is more than proof enough. I just took objection with Demi accusing me of writing fan fiction and LARPing, I guess because I've been in this thread since day one.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Gahleon: You don't need to explain your post to anyone. Everyone who has been in this thread knows you love the game, and playing 300+ hours is more than proof enough. I just took objection with Demi accusing me of writing fan fiction and LARPing, I guess because I've been in this thread since day one.

dude its demi *wink*

ZombieSupaStar said:
dude its demi *wink*

Yeah, I'm figuring that out. :)

And I agree with your comparison of Morrowind and Oblivion. I love both games, but Oblivion has done some things that make it much more approachable and easy to stay on task. If Demi doesn't enjoy Oblivion, he'd probably absoulutely hate Morrowind.

GilloD

Banned
I sort of ended my love affair with this game. I may have overdosed a bit.

I didn't think the Thieve's Guild was all that great. "HEY MAN. WE GOT SOME STUFF YOU OTTA GO GET. GO UNLOCK SOME DOORS. DON'T LET NOBODY CU K? THX" ad infiitum. There's some fun stuff along the way and it's a nice tour of the world, but it's just not that interesting. And the Wizard's Tower quest was long and grueling and not thief-ly.

And what's up with the BLIND PRIESTS being able to SEE ME!? It sounded like a cool quest. Dark Brotherhood is cool, the arena was fun (But the reward was balls!) and I got booted out of the mages guild for "stealing". Whatever.

I haven't touched the main quest in awhile, though I enjoyed it when I did. Nice 'n epic. But I can see what the haterz are saying- It's a beautiful game with a lot to offer, but there's only so much variety a controller can offer. Still, I'll probably pick this one up when I'm done with Hitman. Battlefield sucks, so I doubt I'm headed back into that mess.

And Demi, stop with the achievement pts! Oblivion is the only game I have more than you in. Well. That and Outpost Kaloki X.

GilloD said:
And what's up with the BLIND PRIESTS being able to SEE ME!? It sounded like a cool quest. Dark Brotherhood is cool, the arena was fun (But the reward was balls!) and I got booted out of the mages guild for "stealing". Whatever.

The Blind Priests don't see you, and as long as you don't make any noise, they won't know you are there. But if you do make noise, they will be all over you. They have enhanced hearing to compensate for their in ability to see. They were cool enemies that could have been played up, and used even more.

As for getting booted from the Mage Guild, if you don't get caught stealing, you won't get booted. I finished the Mage Guild Questline before I started the Thieves Guild, and I never ran into any issues.

But, as a huge fan of the Thief games, I do agree with you that I would have loved to have some missions that felt more like that game. Of course we're comparing a huge, free form RPG, with a fairly straight forward action game, but still, we can always dream. :)

While in oblivion may be a matter of taste (face models are still kinda off), in morrowind they were 2 things, fugly and brown.

I loved Morrowind to death and put hour upon hours into and even beat the main quest after wandering around for a LONG time, but you're right on about that. The oppresive fog and the dark brown colors were something that really needed to be fixed.

GilloD

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
The Blind Priests don't see you, and as long as you don't make any noise, they won't know you are there. But if you do make noise, they will be all over you. They have enhanced hearing to compensate for their in ability to see. They were cool enemies that could have been played up, and used even more.

As for getting booted from the Mage Guild, if you don't get caught stealing, you won't get booted. I finished the Mage Guild Questline before I started the Thieves Guild, and I never ran into any issues.

But, as a huge fan of the Thief games, I do agree with you that I would have loved to have some missions that felt more like that game. Of course we're comparing a huge, free form RPG, with a fairly straight forward action game, but still, we can always dream. :)

Unless you steal FROM a member of the Mage's Guild. That they mind.

I find the best way to break out of the JRPG mentality is to be "evil" in Oblivion. Don't follow the rules of the world. (Something you are generally forced to do in JRPGs). See an item you want in a shop? Stalk the owner after closing hours, pickpocket his keys off of him, break into his shop at night and voila. Loot his house and kill him and his family in their sleep while you're at it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
You can just rejoin if you get booted out though, can't you? I'm almost certain that's what I did.

civilstrife said:
I find the best way to break out of the JRPG mentality is to be "evil" in Oblivion. Don't follow the rules of the world. (Something you are generally forced to do in JRPGs). See an item you want in a shop? Stalk the owner after closing hours, pickpocket his keys off of him, break into his shop at night and voila. Loot his house and kill him and his family in their sleep while you're at it.
QFT

That's what helped me. It's just a totally different feeling from JRPG's.

Nameless

I've always been a big time JRPG fanatic, but I've never had any problems enjoying western RPGs. I didn't really get into series like Baulders Gate and Diablo, but Morrowind, KOTOR, and Oblivion are among my favorite RPGs of all-time.

I like the contrast that is offered by playing both Eastern and western RPGs.

demi

civilstrife said:

Meh, that's boring, unless it's required by the Thieves Guild or to join the Dark Brotherhood, I wouldnt bother with it

GilloD said:
Unless you steal FROM a member of the Mage's Guild. That they mind.

Very true. But again, don't get caught! :D And no, you can't just rejoin. You have to go on a long quest and collect a lot of flowers, to get back in.

demi said:
Meh, that's boring, unless it's required by the Thieves Guild or to join the Dark Brotherhood, I wouldnt bother with it

You make me sad. :(

Alright, so Moribel's painted horse finally died by the paws of a Mountain Lion (?). Horseless, I spent the 4000 gold on a black horse and I
bought the horse armor :lol

Is there any way to sell a house that you have bought?
If I had known that I would've gotten Traven's quarters, then I wouldn't have bought the house in Anvil.

siamesedreamer said:
Alright, so Moribel's painted horse finally died by the paws of a Mountain Lion (?). Horseless, I spent the 4000 gold on a black horse and I

If I had known that I would've gotten Traven's quarters, then I wouldn't have bought the house in Anvil.

Noooooo!!! Not horse armor!! ;)

And no, you can't sell the houses once you've bought one.

yonder

siamesedreamer said:

You bought the horse armour?

No...seriously, you bought it? What?

demi

I'm going vampire hunting for the Count of Skingrad, how do I know if I'm turning into a vampire? No ****ing way do I plan on ruining my game because of this.

LakeEarth

It will say you've contracted a disease, something like Hemophillic Dysentry. Then you have 3 game-days to get yourself healed at a church or cast cure disease. In fear that I may of missed the warning, anytime I run into vampires I get myself healed once I can.

GilloD

Banned
demi said:
I'm going vampire hunting for the Count of Skingrad, how do I know if I'm turning into a vampire? No ****ing way do I plan on ruining my game because of this.

I was afraid of it, too, but it's really only a minor condition. And the benefits are amazing. DO IT DO IT

Top Bottom