• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

bengraven said:
I'm really not surprised demi hated this game. :lol

Looking back on it, I shouldn't be surprised either. :lol But I thought things were looking hopeful for awhile there. His posts sounded enthusiastic, then it was a complete turn around. "Boring Game" and he was done! :lol

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Yeah, I couldn't honestly recommend it to him because I somehow knew he was going to hate it. At the end I think I told him to just rent it based on the fact that I love it so much and it’s a top tier title according to ALL review outlets, online forums, etc. With that kind of pedigree and universal respect I mean it's bound to be doing something right, right? I was hoping that he'd might enjoy the freedom and true RPG elements the game provides, which is a breath of fresh air. However he's an absolute JRPG nut and has never played a PC RPG before, it was a 50/50.

I can't be blamed, gave him the pros/cons too. He tried though, that's what's important. Don't care if you hate it as long as you give it a fair shot.

phinious

I dont even get why I love this game so much. I absolutely hated morrowind. I had no idea what to do. It was like they just plunked you down in the middle of nowhere and were like "have fun." Meanwhile every place looked the same, ie BROWN. Very plain, and in the end very boring.

Oblivion seems like its almost the same game. The difference must be that there is a little direction to get you started.

Whatever the difference is, I absolutely love this game. I havent touched Chrome Hounds, GRAW, Kameo, Prey, or LOTR since I started it.

LakeEarth

I wasn't 100% on the game either until I made it to a town, and it seemed like every person I talked to lead to some sort of mission. Then I was hooked.

Well, Oblivion does have some tools to help keep you on task a lot more than Morrowind did. Morrowind was a lot more hardcore in that you had to find your own way most of the time, and actually use the map to explore things. Oblivion provides painless and easy fast travel, and some on screen cues, like the quest arrows, to keep you moving in the right direction.

eXistor

I still love the game. I quit about two months ago, but picked it up again a week ago. I thought I did most of the qeust, but here we are, another 20 hours later and still a bunch of quests are bound to show up (115 hours into the game now). I'm not rwally planning on exploring the countless dungeons though, unless a quest takes me there. Those are really getting boring now.

GhaleonEB

eXistor said:
I still love the game. I quit about two months ago, but picked it up again a week ago. I thought I did most of the qeust, but here we are, another 20 hours later and still a bunch of quests are bound to show up (115 hours into the game now). I'm not rwally planning on exploring the countless dungeons though, unless a quest takes me there. Those are really getting boring now.
The dungeons keep surprising me. I did three Alyid ruins in the past two days. One was HUGE, with four big sections and some really clever design twists. I love it when you are fighting one class of creatures, and you enter an area where they are all dead already, blood all over the place. What killed them....?

The other was an uber-tiny one, with three small rooms housing two bandits. I was like, WTF?! :lol

The last was a mid-size single level, but occupied by only rats and crabs. I'm level 33 and fighting about 20 rats and crabs. :lol

I'm definately a dungeon-crawl whore, though. And I'm up to eight of the Alyid stautues! Woo!

I think over all, the Alyid ruins were my favorite dungeons in the game. I liked the design and architecture in them, plus they always provided some nice loot. :)

demi

TekunoRobby said:
What can I say, I only recommend the best.

**** you. I hope you ****ing die. Eat a ****stick and **** off.

TekunoRobby said:
Yeah, I couldn't honestly recommend it to him because I somehow knew he was going to hate it. At the end I think I told him to just rent it based on the fact that I love it so much and it’s a top tier title according to ALL review outlets, online forums, etc. With that kind of pedigree and universal respect I mean it's bound to be doing something right, right? I was hoping that he'd might enjoy the freedom and true RPG elements the game provides, which is a breath of fresh air. However he's an absolute JRPG nut and has never played a PC RPG before, it was a 50/50.

I can't be blamed, gave him the pros/cons too. He tried though, that's what's important. Don't care if you hate it as long as you give it a fair shot.

AND YOU DAMAGE CONTROL

OH WELL THATS CUTE

Raytow

I have a question about the DLCs, and the patch, owning an european 360 and the spanish version of the game, I can't find any downloads besides theme packs, demos and trailers in Live, it is because of my silver subscription?

Raytow said:
I have a question about the DLCs, and the patch, owning an european 360 and the spanish version of the game, I can't find any downloads besides theme packs, demos and trailers in Live, it is because of my silver subscription?

No. Your Silver Subscription shouldn't have anything to do with it. The DLC may not have been released in your region, not sure about that, but I was pretty sure the patch was. When you start up the game it should tell you that there is a patch available when you first apply it. After that, it's saved on your HDD and shouldn't need to be applied again unless you've run the maintenance on your drive which will clear those patches out.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Last night at the MTV Video Music Awards, Oblivion won Best Video Game Score. Good job Jeremy Soule! Other nominees were: Electroplankton, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, GRAW, and Hitman: Blood Money. (The also had a Video Game Soundtrack category; Mark Ecko's Getting Up beat out Burnout Revenge, Driver: Parallel Lines, Fight Night Round 3 and NBA 2K6)

SteveMeister said:
Last night at the MTV Video Music Awards, Oblivion won Best Video Game Soundtrack. Good job Jeremy Soule! Other nominees were: Electroplankton, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, GRAW, and Hitman: Blood Money. (The also had a Video Game Soundtrack category; Mark Ecko's Getting Up beat out Burnout Revenge, Driver: Parallel Lines, Fight Night Round 3 and NBA 2K6)

Awesome! And well deserved. The music is perfect in Oblivion. I love Soule's work. Outstanding stuff, especially for RPG's.

What am I missing between the two categories? You say they are both Video Game Soundtrack categories. Why did Oblivion get one and Getting Up a different one?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Awesome! And well deserved. The music is perfect in Oblivion. I love Soule's work. Outstanding stuff, especially for RPG's.

What am I missing between the two categories? You say they are both Video Game Soundtrack categories. Why did Oblivion get one and Getting Up a different one?

You're right, I messed up my post. Oblivion won best video game SCORE, not Soundtrack.

yonder

Concerning the dark brotherhood:
It's short but sweet. Too short :( I thought that you would be taken to lots of other sanctuaries (the loading screen lied to me!).

Oh, well, moving on to the thieves guild.

Pellham

Banned
TekunoRobby said:

you don't need to damage control it. I don't think anyone actually holds Demi's game tastes in high regards.

demi

I just finished Tomb Raider Legend (awesome game), and I'm going to try again to play this. Maybe I was just having a bad run, maybe the game was just starting slow, but it's REALLY boring. I really want to see why this game is so great, but right now it's just not clicking.

I really don't want to have to write this one off, so I'm going to force this game down my throat. I will finish the main questline, maybe something will happen and I will change face.

Maybe I just chose some crappy skills as mentioned a few posts behind, but I don't want to have to do a re-roll of some sort, so I'll finish the game using the character I have chosen.

Even though I find KOTOR (anoter raved RPG) extremely boring, I can play it and I haven't bothered to uninstall it, so I am still interested in it for the most part. Maybe I should do the same with this and take it chunk by chunk.

I've never played an Elder Scrolls title, so pretty much all of this is new to me, maybe I just need to learn to adapt.

GhaleonEB

demi said:
I just finished Tomb Raider Legend (awesome game), and I'm going to try again to play this. Maybe I was just having a bad run, maybe the game was just starting slow, but it's REALLY boring. I really want to see why this game is so great, but right now it's just not clicking.

I really don't want to have to write this one off, so I'm going to force this game down my throat. I will finish the main questline, maybe something will happen and I will change face.

Maybe I just chose some crappy skills as mentioned a few posts behind, but I don't want to have to do a re-roll of some sort, so I'll finish the game using the character I have chosen.
Try the Dark Brotherhood, if you want the game to really grab you.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Demi, I suggest avoiding the main quest for a while. Out of the 5 big storylines in the game, it's my 2nd to least favorite... the fighter's guild is the only one I liked less.

Mess with some of the guilds and see if your thoughts improve.

Part of the appeal for the Elder Scrolls games is the fact that you can explore the world on your own, raid random dungeons, and create your own fun when you're not doing side quests or one of the major questlines. If you like to have direction to your games, and most JRPG are fairly linear, the wide-open style of play for Oblivion is probably not going to appeal to you. But if you enjoy exploration, finding as many cool things on your own as the quests in the story give you, then you'll begin to see it's greatness.

I'd probably ignore the main quest for awhile and do some of the side quests. Get use to the world, and the things going on in it. Talk to people in some of the towns, and they'll start to give you quests, and go from there. Some of the quests are very straight forward, and yes, some are boring, but there are some really great ones as well, like the Painter's Quest, the Dream World Quest, or the Collector's Questline which is epic in itself.

GreekWolf

demi said:
I've never played an Elder Scrolls title, so pretty much all of this is new to me, maybe I just need to learn to adapt.
Dude... THE ARENA! That will solve all your problems. Just go into your game menu and crank up the difficulty 3 ticks (believe me.. this is an exact science) then immediately start the Arena questline at the Imperial City.

You can thank me laterz

Yusaku

I really hate that you can't repair enchanted items until your Armorer skill is over 50. I've been reliant on enchanted items for almost my entire character's life, so I've never been able to even practice repairing items. Now that I'm level 20 I'm encountering more and more super long quests that keep me away from any NPCs that can repair my crap. So now I'm forced to summon clannfears to beat on some non-enchanted armor of mine so I can start practicing.

Yusaku said:
I really hate that you can't repair enchanted items until your Armorer skill is over 50. I've been reliant on enchanted items for almost my entire character's life, so I've never been able to even practice repairing items. Now that I'm level 20 I'm encountering more and more super long quests that keep me away from any NPCs that can repair my crap. So now I'm forced to summon clannfears to beat on some non-enchanted armor of mine so I can start practicing.

Repair any and everything you can find. Even the equipment you pick up from the enemies you defeat. It'll help you to get your skill up there. It's also probably worthwhile to pat a trainer to get you some quick ranks as well.

GhaleonEB

Okay, shit.

Collector Quest.

For the bulk of this quest, I've kept a checklist of the places I found the Alyid Statues. I lost is a bit ago, most of the way through. I found it just tonight. I had found them at:

Moranda
Mackamentain
Wenyandawik
Ninendava
Fanacas
Wendelbek
Welke

So there's seven of them. Yesterday I found one at Vilverin (the one right in front of you when you leave the sewers at the start of the game :lol ). That's eight.

I'm 90 hours into the game and have probably put 60 of those into searching for, and in, Alyid ruins. I gave in today and looked at a wiki for the other two locations. I just found one I missed, got the statue, sold it. It was in Culotte.

Up to nine. Woo!

Now I'm off to find the other location...wait a sec. I found it already. And cleared the place out. It's all mapped, and I remember it. Hmmm. I don't remember if I found a statue there or not. I had lost my list at this point. (Which I just found again.)

The location is Wendir. I just spent half an hour running around (the undead respawned, goddammit) and can't find the statue.

This was one of my main goals for the entire game, and I'm stuck. Anyone know where I can find a map of the location of the statue in Wendir? Or know where it is? There's a big square room at the far end of the place, and I thought it would be in there, but it's not. Is it hidden or something? I don't want to get blocked this far into the quest. :(

bengraven

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Part of the appeal for the Elder Scrolls games is the fact that you can explore the world on your own, raid random dungeons, and create your own fun when you're not doing side quests or one of the major questlines. If you like to have direction to your games, and most JRPG are fairly linear, the wide-open style of play for Oblivion is probably not going to appeal to you. But if you enjoy exploration, finding as many cool things on your own as the quests in the story give you, then you'll begin to see it's greatness.

I'd probably ignore the main quest for awhile and do some of the side quests. Get use to the world, and the things going on in it. Talk to people in some of the towns, and they'll start to give you quests, and go from there. Some of the quests are very straight forward, and yes, some are boring, but there are some really great ones as well, like the Painter's Quest, the Dream World Quest, or the Collector's Questline which is epic in itself.

This pretty much sums it up. I have two friends who also have different tastes than me: one is into big, cinematic j-RPGs and the other is into sports games and FPSs and both of them think this game and other free-roaming games (GTA included) are just too ****ing boring.

It's all about tastes. Frankly, games like this are all about immersion for me. I get so relaxed while walking around in this world.

GhaleonEB

Too late! I now have over 35 new keys! 28 of them are Imperial Guards! Off to my shack on the waterfront to snag the Varla stones and healing potions I've accumulated.

yonder

Have fun with Dead Rising, Ghaleon. :)

Question: I've just retrieved the Chorrol Honorary Sword (or something like that) and I have a choice of giving it back to some Chorrol dude and that dunmer that offered me the quest. To whom should I give it?

Great way to end your run Ghaleon. I'd say you got your moneys worth out of Oblivion. Thanks for contributing so much to this thread and helping everyone out who had questions. Don't be a stranger and we'll see you when the expansion comes out! :)

demi

Ghaleon just go LARP or something, that post crossed the line at least twenty times.

I still find this game boring and can't find myself ENRAPTURED by it (see: GhaleonEB), but I've found myself playing this game all day and I can't say I haven't been disgusted to the point of turning it off. I think the problem was that the game just started off on the wrong foot, I needed to put a little more work into it, and for the most part it's paid off. My character has better equipment, I've got some new items, I'm stronger in level, and I'm going through quests like cakewalk -- for the most part. I guess I can say I am forcing myself to play it, but I can't say I'm not enjoying it.

I've decided not to sell the game off just yet, I plan on getting the 1000 points at least before chucking it onto eBay or GAF.

Right now as of this post I am doing the ghost ship quest thing at the Panther's Mouth, I did the Dreamworld quest -- that really wasn't as cool as you guys said it was. I've been focusing on the Mages Guild because I can't seem to find where to get my next task for the Fighters Guild... I did the whole rat quarrel and they were like "hey go here" and I kinda forgot the name. I got the note from the Thieves Guild, I just havent bothered going there.

I think the game is overhyped a bit, but I can see why people would enjoy a game like this. If there were to be an expansion of some sort released on X360 or even ES5, I would probably find myself picking it up.

As a fan of JRPGs I find that I need goals in order to continue playing, a start and a finish. I can't just go off and explore mindless dungeons like some people do in this game, I just don't see the point. If I'm on a quest that the dungeon is a part of, then I have no qualms as that's part of my task. I should be thankful that there is Quick Travel and the option to speed up time (wait), otherwise I would [probably] sell this off without notice. Keep this feature in the next installment, PLEASE.

And I feel that an apology is in order to TekunoRobby for the way I acted both online and off, if he ever reads this.

I find that I need goals in order to continue playing, a start and a finish. I can't just go off and explore mindless dungeons like some people do in this game, I just don't see the point.

I know I've spent hours doing just that. Walking through the hills, travelling cross-country, digging through abandoned ruins and old mines. Just looking for random bits of treasure and a good fight or two. Or just taking a good, long look at the scenery. That's the kind of stuff that does it for me. The quests are just the icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

-Rogue5-

demi said:
I am playing on some crummy TV so I'm not too enamored by the graphics.

The graphics aren't too enamored by you, either.

Subjectively I can see why someone wouldn't be incredibly impressed, but if you can't, at the very least, appreciate what Oblivion offers visually then no one should ever listen to your opinions when it comes to games/gaming (which, judging by your moniker, nobody should anyway) and you should just go back to playing Madden.

Oblivion for me was initially a mixed bag - on PC it had the awesome graphics, control, and framerate that I thought would be enough to keep me playing, however that wasn't the case. It wasn't until you factored in the achievement points of the 360 version that I started to thoroughly enjoy the game... Like Morrowind, it's vast open-endedness is just too overwhelming for a lot of gamers (especially those new to the series) to really get into the experience. With Gamerpoints I had a focal point that I could strive to achieve and, in the process of doing so, realized pretty quickly just how grand the game is.

Despite my reasons for finally falling in love with the game, playing it for 10mins was enough for me to see what all the hype was about (both graphically and the game in general). Sure it might not have tickled my fancy right off the bat, but even at face value the game clearly had tons of depth and adventure just waiting to be explored by hardcore wRPG fans... I think that in itself proves just how incredible the game is.

-Rogue5-

demi said:
I don't play Madden.

It was a joke. Implying that you're just a casual gamer, PS2-fanboy, who only plays Madden... cause it RoX34rsss1one!12234445678910.

Forget that though, that's besides the point... You can't honestly sit there, play the game for 10s of hours (assuming you plan on actually getting all the achievements) and not understand why the game is a step forward. Sure it might not be your cup o'tea, but it's so easy to distinguish just what makes this game so appealing (especially to fans of the genre). You make it sound like you don't understand why someone would enjoy this game, and talking like that is borderline idiocy.

demi

I can't understand why it is a step forward because it is the first step I took. I have never played an Elder Scrolls.

-Rogue5-

demi said:
I can't understand why it is a step forward because it is the first step I took. I have never played an Elder Scrolls.

No no, I mean gaming in general... Or compared to last-gen... or compared to most other wRPGs... It's like mixing FarCry++ visuals with GTA gameplay in a medieval setting, and then adding ten times the amount of stuff (quests, weapons/gear, world-size, NPC count, visuals, etc.) It's the embodiment of next-gen: Bigger, Better, Grander... I mean, shit, everyone has voice-acted dialogue -- that's HUGE. All of these are obvious steps forward, but what's surprising is that they were all done in one game.

You may be a jaded, veteran gamer that isn't surprised by anything anymore, but, like I said, it's easy to determine just what makes this game deserve all the credit it has gotten... Hell, it should make it easier to spot such things. Know what I mean?

TheWolf

Banned
demi said:
G
As a fan of JRPGs I find that I need goals in order to continue playing, a start and a finish. I can't just go off and explore mindless dungeons like some people do in this game, I just don't see the point. If I'm on a quest that the dungeon is a part of, then I have no qualms as that's part of my task. I should be thankful that there is Quick Travel and the option to speed up time (wait), otherwise I would [probably] sell this off without notice. Keep this feature in the next installment, PLEASE.

so just to the main quest? it isn't like the story or dungeons are any worse than your standard JRPG. and the combat is a lot more fun most of the time, imo.

playing the game on a big HDTV with a good systems really adds to the experience though. :)

demi

TheWolf said:
so just to the main quest? it isn't like the story or dungeons are any worse than your standard JRPG. and the combat is a lot more fun most of the time, imo.

playing the game on a big HDTV with a good systems really adds to the experience though. :)

No, I mean anywhere, not specifically the main questline. If I'm doing my task given and I come across some random dungeon, I don't see the point in exploring it, it is just a waste of time.

I understand playing with a good system helps things, but I don't have that option, much like other people, I'm sure.

-Rogue5- said:
No no, I mean gaming in general... Or compared to last-gen... or compared to most other wRPGs... It's like mixing FarCry++ visuals with GTA gameplay in a medieval setting, and then adding ten times the amount of stuff (quests, weapons/gear, world-size, NPC count, visuals, etc.) It's the embodiment of next-gen: Bigger, Better, Grander... I mean, shit, everyone has voice-acted dialogue -- that's HUGE. All of these are obvious steps forward, but what's surprising is that they were all done in one game.

You may be a jaded, veteran gamer that isn't surprised by anything anymore, but, like I said, it's easy to determine just what makes this game deserve all the credit it has gotten... Hell, it should make it easier to spot such things. Know what I mean?

I understand why people could like this game like GhaleonEB does, but it doesn't come across like that to me. Maybe if I didn't feel so rushed to play all these other games lined up and coming out in the near future I could take the time to immerse myself, but as it is I feel I need to churn this out as quickly as possible (re: achievements) -- truth be told if this game came out on PC only I would have no interest to play it whatsoever, considering I barely play PC games as it is, that's a reason why I bought the X360, it is like the cheap PC that plays all the recent games along with a reason to play them (achievements). I would never have bothered playing Prey (a title I rented recently) on the PC, but since it was on the X360 I had no problems giving it a spin.

Well I just completed the main questline, and let me just say that the end battle rocked. I love epic scale battles. Clocked it at just a tad under 40 hours too, 39:46 to be exact.

The only problem is now I don't really feel compelled to complete everything, I completed the Arena, Dark Brotherhood, and Mage's Guild questlines. I felt like the faction questlines were made to build you up for the main questline, and now that its over I don't see any reason to play any more.

Too bad the Dark Brotherhood questline didn't last longer, that alone was worth the 60 bucks IMO.

Top Bottom