• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

masterofbathhouseterror said:
WHERE ARE YOU DAEDRIC ARMOR?

How come I bust my ass for hours getting to level 23 and I can only find armor pieces NOT INCLUDING the helmet on Valkynaz? I finally became smart and did the chameleon thing, running through random Oblivion gates to check for armor.

EDIT: SPOILERS

And now I've finished the main quest, so there are no many gates to close.

If you finished the main quest, there zero gatest to close. Go raid some dungeons and finish up guild quests instead.

GhaleonEB

That's one thing I'm doing differently this time through -
closing all the gates manually. I was really bummed they all suddenly shut when the I beat the main quest.
:(

GhaleonEB said:
closing all the gates manually. I was really bummed they all suddenly shut when the I beat the main quest.

Wow! That'll keep you buys. I got way too bored with them after awhile to think about closing all of them manually. I did my fair share, and I closed all the ones near the cities for the Allies For Bruma Quest, but not all the random ones in the countryside.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Wow! That'll keep you buys. I got way too bored with them after awhile to think about closing all of them manually. I did my fair share, and I closed all the ones near the cities for the Allies For Bruma Quest, but not all the random ones in the countryside.
It's actually pretty fun as a sniper, though I kind of alternate clearing them all out and just jogging through (which works just fine). When I'm loaded up with parlyze poisons it gets quite fun. I've cleared out rooms with three guys in them, all one at a time without the other noticing. Nail them with parlyze arrow, then a poison before they fall. Stand over them and bludgeon to death. Repeat. It stays fun, somehow.

I've closed 12 so far, so many that I need to advance the main quest for more to open up. Bear in mind I've got some crazy goals this time around, including getting all ten Alyid statues for the collector quest, raiding every castle master bed room killing all of the little old ladies in their sleep. Since I did most of the quests the first time I'm making up my own. :)

Chichikov

GhaleonEB said:
I’m pretty sure that’s the wilderness gates (i.e. the ones not part of the allies for Bruma quest) re-open themselves after a while.

jimbo

Banned
This thread has got to be some kind of record here on GAF. Anyway I loved Oblivion on 360. Could not get into the last one on Xbox at all. And I still found this one to be lacking in the main story department. My wish list for the next version:

-A more compelling story
-More varied environments(got tired of the Daedric worlds quick)
-Better-looking magic spells.
-Fast forward days.
-But most of all I really hope they make it easier to level up so you can attain some of the better magic. I put over 100 hours in it and I still did not have a decent heal spell that would fill my life. I had to depend on potions.

jimbo said:
This thread has got to be some kind of record here on GAF. Anyway I loved Oblivion on 360. Could not get into the last one on Xbox at all. And I still found this one to be lacking in the main story department. My wish list for the next version:

-A more compelling story
-More varied environments(got tired of the Daedric worlds quick)
-Better-looking magic spells.
-Fast forward days.
-But most of all I really hope they make it easier to level up so you can attain some of the better magic. I put over 100 hours in it and I still did not have a decent heal spell that would fill my life. I had to depend on potions.

Did you upgrade your healing spell? I bought more powerful healing spells as I went along, and had no problems with how much it healed. Is your skill level for healing spells maxed out? What rank if not? All those things make a big difference.

I thought the main story was good, but yeah, it could be a bit more compelling. I also wouldn't mind some time sensitive missions in the main quest. I felt no real sense of urgency at any time.

I also though that the spell effects looked nice, but I wouldn't mind more variety to them and why on earth would you want to be able to fast forward days any more than up to 24 hours at a time as it is now?

rastex

Banned
Disc read problems :(

I've been playing Oblivion on and off for the past month, and this weekend put in quite a bit of time into it. However a couple of days ago I got a disc read error. Ok, that's happened before, not a big deal, a restart clears it up. But now I can't get Oblivion to load at all. I put the game in and the 360 just struggles to read the game for minutes and either nothing happens, or it plays the DVD movie saying "put this in an Xbox 360 console". Other games work fine.

Ok, I got my daedric armor and it looks good--just missing the helmet. On the other hand, I'm not real sad about the gates being all closed; I did 23 or so myself, and there were only 4-5 different types. I did stumble onto a neat little trick though: if you have the atronach birthsign and are having trouble training in magic-related skills, go to Frostfire Cave (I think that's it) to the area where the tears of the savior were. It's really cold there, right, so your magicka will recharge instantaneously just about. I was lucky enough to find a 100% frost protection ring from an unfortunate dremora and spam a custom bound spell that wears off after a second (but the frost doesn't hurt too bad, just rest if you are eaten up after a while and get back at it). I trained to 100 in conjuration in no time at all (put something on your cast spell key and do walk away). Next I'm gonna make a self-damage destruction skill to boost that up.

GilloD

Banned
Okay,
Storming the castle at Kvatch was tough. I got my ass handed to me. Thank god for reload. I liked riding on horses to Bruma as a team, felt epic. Started Theives Quests, blahblah. Arena. It sounds like I hate this game, but I'm just worn out from 7 hours of it :p

bengraven

I was thinking tonight about the few things that would have made Oblivion better, within reason. By "within reason", I mean that I wouldn't expect every single square inch of Tamriel to be available from the start and a gigantic dragon to help me travel it. I mean things that are great that I'd like to see made into official mods or expansion packs (360'er here).

First off, the snail race makes me think about how I'd like even more to do in a city. Bars should feel like bars. There should be bar wenches serving people and drunkards stumbling around. I should be able to play card games with certain characters!

And how about random quests in-town? Like randomized thieves guild sorts that you find skulking near a rich house every once and a while and they say "psst...come here! this family is asleep and I want you to sneak in with me and rob them blind!". Maybe fill the house with silver vases/bowls and you have a time limit to steal as many as you can before everyone wakes up; obviously trying to stay sneaky and not wake anyone or else you fail. And when it's over, you split the profits with said thief (or kill him if you wanted to, obviously).

And we should be able to play real estate games with some of those backwoods settlements. Maybe fix them up and invest in them to collect rent, ala Fable. Because you know
some of them end up being quite empty towards the end of the Daedric and Fighter's Guild quests

And finally, more animations! As I said before, I want to see drunkards stumbling! I want to know (KNOW!) when I'm looking at a broke ass pauper because they are hunched over and shivering. I want to see the rich walk around with their heads held high, their servants following behind. This is what I really want changed the most for The Elder Scrolls V. Now that our characters DO have lives, I want them to really LOOK alive.

GhaleonEB

bengraven said:
I was thinking tonight about the few things that would have made Oblivion better, within reason. By "within reason", I mean that I wouldn't expect every single square inch of Tamriel to be available from the start and a gigantic dragon to help me travel it. I mean things that are great that I'd like to see made into official mods or expansion packs (360'er here).

First off, the snail race
The what? Is that in the 360 version?

I like your suggestions ben. They would add more life to the game. However, when you compare the world to that of Morrowind, you can see how far we've come in making it feel more like a living world. In the next Elder Scrolls game I expect the radient AI to be even more sophisticated, which would make some of the things you are suggesting easier to pull off. I think it's a natural evolution to continue to add more life to the world.

This is my first time posting here so don't kill me.

I picked this up last week, just for the hell of it and it has quickly became one of my favorite games in the past 10 years.

I just finished the Dark Brotherhood quest line, and it was fuggin amazing. My favorite quest was when I was locked in that house with the other guests and they were looking for gold. That was hilarious.

So far I put 24 hrs into the game and I'm only lvl 6. I can't remember the last time I put 24 hours into a game, and didn't touch the main storyline. The amount of stuff to do is intimidating. I still have the Fighter's Guild. Mage's Guild, Thieve's Guild, and The Arena to do. Plus I have to finish the storyline as well.

DAMN YOU BETHESDA!!!!!

mysticstylez said:
This is my first time posting here so don't kill me.

You must read this entire thread, start to finish. Get started. :D But seriously, welcome!

mysticstylez said:
I just finished the Dark Brotherhood quest line, and it was fuggin amazing. My favorite quest was when I was locked in that house with the other guests and they were looking for gold. That was hilarious.

The Dark Brotherhood Quests are pretty much considered the best in the entire game. And that one where you're locked in the house is great. So creative.

mysticstylez said:
So far I put 24 hrs into the game and I'm only lvl 6. I can't remember the last time I put 24 hours into a game, and didn't touch the main storyline. The amount of stuff to do is intimidating. I still have the Fighter's Guild. Mage's Guild, Thieve's Guild, and The Arena to do. Plus I have to finish the storyline as well.

I'd recommend that you do the Fighter's Guild and Mage Guild Questlines next. They are solid, but not nearly as good as the Dark Brotherhood, imho. The Main Quest and the Thieves Guild are both better, so save them for last.

Of course, along the way there are tons of great side quests to do. The Collectors Quest is awesome, as is the Dreamworld and Painter's Quests. There are plenty more besides those, obviously. Arena is fun as well. And if you get tired of doing quests, and just need some new loot, you can go tomb raiding and exploring in any one of the hundreds of caves or ruins.

GilloD

Banned
I have a few Q's about leveling maybe you old-timers can answer:

I had a hell of a lot of trouble in Kvatch. I didn't have much of a problem in the Oblivion Gate other than being unprepared for inter-planar combat. But the regular scamps and little dinosaur dudes in Kvatch were WRECKING me in 1v1. I managed to score some small advatnages using shoot 'n run with a bow, but on the whole it was dumb luck that I got through it. Is that a particularly troubling part of the game or am I weaksauce and need to start over? I've been playing a theif, concentrating oon atheltics/1H blade/acrobatics/sneak etc., theif-y skills. My marksmanship is a little low, what's a good way to raise it?

Also, lockpicking. Someone tutorialize it for me. Is there a pattern to the stick/not stick? It seems like there is sometimes and then other times it just appears to be random. I've got a secuirty skill of about 20 and 200 broken lockpicks to show for it. Where else can one buy lockpicks other than at the fence?

Only way to raise your marksmanship skill is to use the bow or to train with one of the trainers. I played as a stealthy type mainly as well, but I worked hard on getting my blade and bow skills up, as well as using my destruction magic (which levels very quickly) up as well, as it can help at taking out some of the tougher creatures, especially at a distance. Also, don't forget to improve your equipment when ever you can. As you take on tougher creatures, upgrade your bow, sword, AND arrows. If you intend to stick with the stealthy marksman character class, learn to get the sneak attack bonuses (x3 damage for bow, x6 damage for melee weapons), and start working on your alchemy skills now so you can create some useful poisons down the line.

As for lockpicking, obviously your skill is pretty damn low in it, so that isn't helping you much right now. When working with the locks you'll want to tap them up several times and watch the pattern of when the tumblers stick at the top. Then you'll want to time your button press when they are at the very top. Some people prefer to do this when the tumblers are moving slowly and they have more time to time the button press just right, but I actually was much better at timing it when the tumbler was moving fast.

Alternatively, there are open lock spells which work nice, but you'll need to get your Alteration skill increased to use them on some of the higher level locks. The other option is to find the
Skeleton Key which is an unbreakable lockpick. You get it from a Daedric Quest

Only place you can get lockpicks are from your fence, or from finding them in dungeons. Bandits usually are carrying them around or have them stored in chests.

Edit: I guess I'm one of the old timers! :lol

GhaleonEB

GilloD said:
I have a few Q's about leveling maybe you old-timers can answer:

I had a hell of a lot of trouble in Kvatch. I didn't have much of a problem in the Oblivion Gate other than being unprepared for inter-planar combat. But the regular scamps and little dinosaur dudes in Kvatch were WRECKING me in 1v1. I managed to score some small advatnages using shoot 'n run with a bow, but on the whole it was dumb luck that I got through it. Is that a particularly troubling part of the game or am I weaksauce and need to start over? I've been playing a theif, concentrating oon atheltics/1H blade/acrobatics/sneak etc., theif-y skills. My marksmanship is a little low, what's a good way to raise it?

Also, lockpicking. Someone tutorialize it for me. Is there a pattern to the stick/not stick? It seems like there is sometimes and then other times it just appears to be random. I've got a secuirty skill of about 20 and 200 broken lockpicks to show for it. Where else can one buy lockpicks other than at the fence?
As for Kavatch: I found having a Conjuration spell comes in REALLY handy, even if the creature you conjure is weaksauce. They are a distraction, and I often work to keep the critters I summon between myself and the enemies while I heal or toss spells/arrows at the enemies. Also, Kavatch is one of the toughest battles in the game, IMO. You get overwhelmed with sheer numbers easily.

If you go the thief route, and I am now, I strongly suggest the following:

1) Use Alchemy. Pick ingredients, mix potions like crazy. You get poisons which do damage to your enemies, and you can poison your arrows and blades with them for extra damage. They inflict damage over time, so a poison that does 5 pts damage for 10 seconds inflicts a total of 50 points. They also STACK, so you fire two arrows and suddenly they are losing 10 points per second. About half the enemies I fight now die from poison arrows before they even get to me.

2) Join the Mage's Guild, NOW. Plow through the recomendations, and make yourself a bow enchanted with damage when you get into the University; I use fire. As an archer you NEED the extra damage on your bows to stay competive with your enemies.

3) Level Conjuration. Always have one handy, hot keyed. As a theif head-head combat is tough. If you get caught in a tight spot, summon a cfreature to distract while you run away healing. Alternately, send in a summoned creature to distract while you rain arrows upon enemies. I sometimes sit around a corner and send creatures in to fight while I'm hiding and don't have to engage them at all. :)

4) Make a combo Night Vision and Detect Life spell. As a thief they come in SOOOOO handy.

5) Hmm, that's about it. Oh, and make the highest lockpicking spell you can. Use lockpicks for everything above that.

LakeEarth

I find Night Eye to look too horrible to keep on. I stick with Detect Life, I might not be able to see what I'm attacking, but at least I know its there.

LakeEarth said:
I find Night Eye to look too horrible to keep on. I stick with Detect Life, I might not be able to see what I'm attacking, but at least I know its there.

I couldn't live without Night Eyes, but it does take away from the beauty of the game, that's for sure. Nothing like exploring a dark cave with just a torch. Great atmosphere. It just sucks when you switch to your bow and can't see shit! :lol

GhaleonEB

LakeEarth said:
I used it in caves/dungeons only. Critical hits were super-important to my strategy, and many dungeons are too dark to explore well without some kind of light; self-lighting and torches kept getting me busted. I got used to the look after a while.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
GilloD said:
little dinosaur dudes in Kvatch were WRECKING me

Those are Clannfears, and they are indeed tough in a melee battle, mostly because they have Reflect Damage. When you hit them and they get that golden/yellow glow, that means that part of the melee damage you did to them "bounces back" onto you. So clannfears are best dealt with using ranged attacks.

Update: Well, I finally gave up vampirism (Vile Lair, huzzah). Yep. I was sick of looking at my pasty Argonian. His brilliant scales have returned, and I quickly got over what I thought I was missing out on. I never used the good vampire powers anyway (except for a quest or two in the DB), so I wondered why was I doing it anyway. Turns out last night I was exploring Jakben's catacombs (great place that vampires always return to) and I recontracted the vampire disease. Now, I've heard it's impossible to get to become a vampire again, but I think I have a shot--doubtful that kind of thing was so thoroughly researched anyway. The funny thing is I get it so easily and Argonians are supposed to be disease resistant.

I'll tell you, one thing I missed about vampirism near the latter levels was the immunity to paralysis. Those damned spider daedra.

I'll keep ye all updated.

SteveMeister said:
Those are Clannfears, and they are indeed tough in a melee battle, mostly because they have Reflect Damage. When you hit them and they get that golden/yellow glow, that means that part of the melee damage you did to them "bounces back" onto you. So clannfears are best dealt with using ranged attacks.

I hated those damn head butt attacks! :lol That was reason enough to stay away from them and hit 'em from a distance!

masterofbathhouseterror: I hear you on contracting the disease that leads to vampirism. I had an amulet that gave me 100% resistence to disease, yet I still contracted it a couple of times while fighting vamps. No one has explained to me yet how that happened. Cure Disease Potions FTW!

GhaleonEB

SteveMeister said:
0_o

I've never once noticed the glowing effect on them. I use a SD tv, that may have something to do with it, I suppose. Weird.

yonder

Kung Fu Jedi said:
And Double Posts will help that! :D
No cheating!

I just got into the Arcane University and I was surprised that
there are still missions to do! I thought I was done with the mage's guild, but that's not the case. Sweet. :)

bengraven

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I like your suggestions ben. They would add more life to the game. However, when you compare the world to that of Morrowind, you can see how far we've come in making it feel more like a living world. In the next Elder Scrolls game I expect the radient AI to be even more sophisticated, which would make some of the things you are suggesting easier to pull off. I think it's a natural evolution to continue to add more life to the world.

Yeah, that's what I meant, though. Todd said in GI that they wanted the world to FEEL alive in Oblivion, which is a step up from Morrowind. Now, I just want to feel like more of a part of the world.

Which reminds me of another suggestion. I understand that we're a prisoner with no ties to the land and all, which I wouldn't want to change, but...I would also love to feel like I actually belonged to the land more than just in guilds.

1) Maybe if you own a house in Chorrol for example, people will tell you Chorrol-related things and treat you like one of their own; for example, "just between you and me, I think your house is much nicer than [insert character name here]'s house" or "you and I need to get some other citizens together to fend off those Oblivion gates".

2) you know those characters that point out how good you are at a certain skill ("I hear you're handy with a blade!")? Why not be able to train them and get some quick coin that way. Take an hour or two from your time and get paid for it?

3) furthermore, I just wish people would call out to you if they know you ("hey, over there! It's the Hero of Kvatch!") or maybe leave small shrines in front of your houses for things you've done. Like a box with armor in it with a note from a guild member saying "here's some enchanted armor for my guildmaster" or something such as that.

I used it in caves/dungeons only. Critical hits were super-important to my strategy, and many dungeons are too dark to explore well without some kind of light; self-lighting and torches kept getting me busted. I got used to the look after a while.

Yeah, I have a Ring of Nighteye mapped to my control pad so I can hit Left quick and see in the dark when I need to!

Yeah, I know what you're saying. They've done a great job at making the world feel more alive, but now, we should ba able to influence and change that world more. For instance, I liked how after you become the head of the Fighter's Guild you have some options on running the Guild. I'd love to see that expanded next time with even more control, and rolled out to all the Guilds.

How cool would it be that after you've done some quests and start to become a hero, they grant you an estate, with more lands given to you as you go along. Maybe some servants that you can give orders to. It sounds fairly trivial, but can add life to the game.

In general, I want to see my actions having more of an impact on the world other than just having a few people making remarks here and there. I'd like those remarks to be more cohesive though. It drove me nuts when I'd close an Oblivion Gate outside of a city, or was knonw far and wide for my exploits, but I'd talk to someone who'd say "I don't know you well enough to discuss that!"

Syb

Just a quick question. Im thinking of picking up Oblivion (360), has the 1.1 Patch cleared up alot of the framerate issues? What should I expect... a fairly smooth experience for 80% of the time or a mess that stutters every couple of seconds? Either way I'll be putting the cash down. :D

-Rogue5-

Syb said:
Just a quick question. Im thinking of picking up Oblivion (360), has the 1.1 Patch cleared up alot of the framerate issues? What should I expect... a fairly smooth experience for 80% of the time or a mess that stutters every couple of seconds? Either way I'll be putting the cash down. :D

In a town, absolutely no stuttering... Racing a long the countryside (by foot or by horse) you'll get stuttering ever 10seconds. If it's any consolation, after while you don't really notice it. It definitely runs/looks better on PC (on mine at least), but achievement points really added to the experience (feel like they're rewarding you for your dedication)... I know for a fact I wouldn't have been able to complete all the crap I did if I decided to play it through on PC.... But yeah, back on topic - traveling through the Cyrodiil country side has stutter.

GilloD

Banned
"Caught in the Hunt" was an awesome quest that was over way too fast.

Also, I was on the second part of the Mazoga quest line when all of a sudden the guards kicked the crap out of her. I made some nice coin off of her stuff (And got the rockin' Elven Longsword which I imbrued with one of those Oblivion stones), but is the quest line borked now?

GhaleonEB

Syb said:
I found that it does smooth the experience out a ton, especially in town. Outside the gamer is smooth about 80-90% of the time. There's a bigger issue when you are riding a horse - the choppiness is much worse then. Pretty good otherwise and WAY better than pre-patch. I never had any issue in dungeons. Including dungeon and town time, my Oblivion experience runs very smooth ~95% of the time. But, I don't ride horses. ;p

GilloD said:
"Caught in the Hunt" was an awesome quest that was over way too fast.

Also, I was on the second part of the Mazoga quest line when all of a sudden the guards kicked the crap out of her. I made some nice coin off of her stuff (And got the rockin' Elven Longsword which I imbrued with one of those Oblivion stones), but is the quest line borked now?
Yes, she has a questline that ends when she's killed. It's only three quests long, IIRC.

way more

Good gravy this thread is huge. I just got this game yesterday and this is my first from the series.

Will I enjoy/use the personality stats or should would I be better off getting light armor and swordplay?

raYne

mac said:
Good gravy this thread is huge. I just got this game yesterday and this is my first from the series.

Will I enjoy/use the personality stats or should would I be better off getting light armor and swordplay?
Light armor/swordplay definitely. Personality is of very little consequence in this game. At most it just helps you get information from npcs easier.

GilloD

Banned
mac said:

Personality skills tend to just happen. They'll raise whether or not you intend them to :) Get something a little more useful

GreekWolf

As many hours as I've put into this game, I can't believe I'm still discovering new areas.

Anyone know anything about the Shattered Scales caverns? It's located close to the Mouth of the Panther, hidden away in an aclove toward the end of the winding river. My daedroth and I cleaned it out last night down to the second level, but I kept getting the impression that the whole thing was part of another quest, so I quit and decided to do some research. I'm pretty sure it's not a guild task. Any clues?

raYne

GreekWolf said:
As many hours as I've put into this game, I can't believe I'm still discovering new areas.

Anyone know anything about the Shattered Scales caverns? It's located close to the Mouth of the Panther, hidden away in an aclove toward the end of the winding river. My daedroth and I cleaned it out last night down to the second level, but I kept getting the impression that the whole thing was part of another quest, so I quit and decided to do some research. I'm pretty sure it's not a guild task. Any clues?
I don't think it's related to a Quest at all. At least, I don't remember it being.

There are quite a few huge caves/forts etc that have nothing to do with Quests.

Hey! You guys are having a party in here, and no one invited me! :D So...I'm crashing! :lol

Just a quick comment on framerates in the 360 version post patch. They are far better than they were in the game when it shipped. Even roaming the countryside is much smoother and has few hiccups. It's wonderful. As others have said, in towns and dungeons, it was always great.

Good to see the thread revived and still kicking! :)

GreekWolf

raYne said:
I don't think it's related to a Quest at all. At least, I don't remember it being.
Yeah, I'm beginning to think you're right. I scoured the official boards last night, and some guy swears up and down that he completed the caverns as a side-quest for someone in either Leyawiin or Bravil, but I'll be darned if I can figure out who he's talking about.

Oh well, finished it up this morning. No special items to be found, just a ton of gold. You can never have too much of that. :)

Top Bottom