• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

demi said:
I don't think I have a Cure Disease spell, but I have a potion of Cure Disease, will that work?

Yeah, cure disease potions work well. Keep them on hand, as even an item of 100% protection from disease won't keep you from contracting this one. Also, if you are heading back to town with in that three day period, you can get healed at the alter in the church, which can save your potions for a later time.

Nameless

While this game is one of the best games I've EVER played, for ES:V I hope they do away with the whole leveled items/enemies thing. The best thing about Morrowind was that there was a host of unique artifacts and treasures out there, that you could obtain at any point. Going out, searching for a certain item, or just randomly searching shrines and tombs for cool items really gave you a sense of 'treasure hunting', like you were doing your own quest.

We've talked ad nauseam in this thread about the leveling system in this thread, and I can kind of go either way with it. I like the system in theory, but I think it can be tuned better next time with some special quest dungeons not having the leveling system applied to it.

I do feel that the current system does do what it was intended to do, which is to continue to give you a challenge throughout the game. However, I agree with you that it also takes something away from stumbling across something that you shouldn't have early on in the game. In Daggerfall and Morrowind I came across some freaky places that I knew my character shouldn't be in just yet, but I had the option of trying to explore them none the less. Often it lead to a beat down, and sometimes frustration, as you got yourself in too ar over your head.

Next time out, I'd like to see the current system tweaked a bit for random dungeons and many quests. Then have certain dungeons that it doesn't apply to at all, and stock them with nasty creatures that will be a challenge to high level characters, and down right suicide for lower level characters. Make them part of the main and major questlines, and a few that are just part of the world in general.

As for the world itself, the leveling system works ok, but I'd like to see more variety. Have certain zones/regions that have spefiic types of creatures that live in that area, with the likelihood of encounters with them being fairly high, but also have "wandering monsters" that are based on your level as well.

I'm sure Bethesda will tweak the current system and come up with something more refined for the next version of the game, which seems woefully far off at this point. :)

demi said:
I have a Dwarven Dagger and Shortsword -- why are they greyed out even though I can use them normally?

Are they both greyed out at the same time? Is it in a different way than something that is equipped?

demi

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Are they both greyed out at the same time? Is it in a different way than something that is equipped?

Here is a photo, maybe you can figure it out

greyedoutts1.jpg

Doesn't seem to have any negative effect

demi

That's not what I was referring to. I don't have the Dwarven Dagger equipped and it's greyed out, along with the Shortsword, while everything else is darkened.

demi said:
That's not what I was referring to. I don't have the Dwarven Dagger equipped and it's greyed out, along with the Shortsword, while everything else is darkened.

Ok. I see it now. Are you able to drop the items? There were some people way back earlier in the thread who had something similar going on, and they couldn't sell or drop the items, as it said they were always equipped or in use or something. It was glitch, but it never seemed to be a major issue for them. I've never seen it myself.

Vark

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Well, Steve and Vark thank you. You just helped to feed their families. :D

Family of me bitches!

Seriously though, everytime you click that download button, an angel gets its wings*.

* May or may not be a lie.

Vark said:
Family of me bitches!

Seriously though, everytime you click that download button, an angel gets its wings*.

* May or may not be a lie.

:lol

This runs counter to my claims that every time you buy Horse Armor, Baby Jesus cries.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Kung Fu Jedi said:

This runs counter to my claims that every time you buy Horse Armor, Baby Jesus cries.

That's because angel wings are made from Baby Jesus' nose hairs, plucked out one by one with a tweezer.

Solid

Can I like Oblivion? I seriously gave Morrowind (GOTY edition) a try but didnt understand what to do. I just ran around. Is Oblivion perhaps easier to get in to?

SteveMeister said:
That's because angel wings are made from Baby Jesus' nose hairs, plucked out one by one with a tweezer.

It all makes sense now! :D

Solid said:
Can I like Oblivion? I seriously gave Morrowind (GOTY edition) a try but didnt understand what to do. I just ran around. Is Oblivion perhaps easier to get in to?

Oblivion is far more approachable than Morrowind in the sense that you can fast travel much eaiser, the Quest Logs are better organized, and there are arrows to help you find where you need to go on an active quest.

All that said, the Oblivion world is still huge, wide open, and can be overwhelming at first with all the things there are to see and do.

I really don't know what's causing some of your items to be greyed out. I've looked through my inventory on two different characters and none of items were like that. Maybe you got the special edition!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
demi said:
Nobody's given me an answer to my current question, apparently nobody can figure out Oblivion.

Are you sure they're grayed out, and it's not just that the icons for those weapons are a lighter color?

demi

SteveMeister said:
Are you sure they're grayed out, and it's not just that the icons for those weapons are a lighter color?

Ok, why are they a lighter color compared to everything else then? Is that just a specific color for Dwarven items?

You worked on the game, you tell me.

In any case, Enchanted Arms is in my possession, so Oblivion has been shoved aside -- roughly.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
demi, you should send your copy to me d00d.

GilloD said:
So many people in this thread rae completely oblivious.

Yeah. We blundered are way past 10k posts.

But, hey, did you guys hear? No PS3 for Europe this fall, and only 100k and 400k units for the Japan and the US respectively. :D

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
demi said:
Ok, why are they a lighter color compared to everything else then? Is that just a specific color for Dwarven items?

You worked on the game, you tell me.

Probably, though I'm a programmer and not an artist. The different material items have icons of slightly different colors :)

GhaleonEB

Back to Oblivion with me. Dead Rising is back in the box after two play sessions; the "small text" bullshit renders it utterly unplayable on my 360. I could not read any of the in-game text - conversations, mission objectives, those irritating phone calls, NOTHING. SD-TV for the lose. Thank god Bethesda play tested this game for usability.

I return Dead Rising on Monday for store credit towards Gears of War. Not sure what my next game will be. Maybe I'll just stick with Oblivion until then.

GhaleonEB

GreekWolf said:
psst... Condemned. Get it.
Hmmmm...the demo was pretty cool. I'll look into that. :)

Edit: I just remembered why I didn't finish that demo. I'm red/green colorblind. That whole "scan the green evidence" thing? Everything is grey to me. :(

yonder

Just completed the Mage's Guild.
Mannimarco was way to easy.

Now I'll just complete the Fighter's Guild an then I'll finally continue with the main quest. :)

Yonn said:
Just completed the Mage's Guild.
Mannimarco was way to easy.

Now I'll just complete the Fighter's Guild an then I'll finally continue with the main quest. :)

I agree. I was expecting an Epic Battle and it was over too quickly. Bethesda needs to do something about boss battles next time out.

Welcome back Ghaleon! :D

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
Back to Oblivion with me. Dead Rising is back in the box after two play sessions; the "small text" bullshit renders it utterly unplayable on my 360. I could not read any of the in-game text - conversations, mission objectives, those irritating phone calls, NOTHING. SD-TV for the lose. Thank god Bethesda play tested this game for usability.

I return Dead Rising on Monday for store credit towards Gears of War. Not sure what my next game will be. Maybe I'll just stick with Oblivion until then.
I know I couldn't play one game for that long... I don't know how you do it.

*shrugs* As long as you're having fun I guess.. :)

GreekWolf

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Expansion coming soon? At least for PC?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157428.html

Knights of the White Stallion huh? Vark? Steve? You can tell us. We promise just to keep it amongst friends. ;)
We all know how reliable EGM's info usually turns out
(not very)
but they mentioned several months ago that Bethesda was currently putting the finishing touches on an Oblivion expansion pack for the 360, and would ready to ship this fall.

GhaleonEB

How long after Morrowind shipped was the first expansion announced?

I wonder if the reason no retail SKU was shown for the 360 expansion is because they will release it over Live as a stand-alone, and then do a GOTY edition (ala Morrowind on XBox) down the road for retail.

Actually, Fall seems like a fairly short turn around for an expansion of and decent size. The $19.95 price point seems a bit low as well. I'd expect it to be more like $29.95.

yonder

You know... I recently reached 90 hours and I'm getting a bit tired of it now (well, I am doing the Fighters Guild quests). I'm tempted to take a break and buy Dead Rising, but I'm afraid that it'll feel too big an complex when I return and that I just won't play it any more.

Did any of you guys take a break?

Yonn said:
You know... I recently reached 90 hours and I'm getting a bit tired of it now (well, I am doing the Fighters Guild quests). I'm tempted to take a break and buy Dead Rising, but I'm afraid that it'll feel too big an complex when I return and that I just won't play it any more.

Did any of you guys take a break?

90 hours is a good amount of time with any game. Take a break if you feel like you need one, and try something else. After a bit, you may feel like returning and finishing up some more quests or exploring some dungeons. If not, I'd still say you got your money's worth out of the game. :)

yonder

Kung Fu Jedi said:
90 hours is a good amount of time with any game. Take a break if you feel like you need one, and try something else. After a bit, you may feel like returning and finishing up some more quests or exploring some dungeons. If not, I'd still say you got your money's worth out of the game. :)
Yeah, 90 hours isn't bad, but I still haven't completed the main quest! (gotta get those achievement points!) I'm thinking of going cold turkey right now so that I'll have some reason to go back.

Anyway, I finally completed the fighters guild. Thank god that's over. The only think I liked about it was Maglir, for some reason. He's so short and ugly. :lol
A shame you had to kill him, though. R.I.P. Maglir.

Yonn said:
Yeah, 90 hours isn't bad, but I still haven't completed the main quest! (gotta get those achievement points!) I'm thinking of going cold turkey right now so that I'll have some reason to go back.

Anyway, I finally completed the fighters guild. Thank god that's over. The only think I liked about it was Maglir, for some reason. He's so short and ugly. :lol
A shame you had to kill him, though. R.I.P. Maglir.

Yeah, Fighters Guild was the worst of the questlines for me. So boring compared to the others.

How far are you in the Main Quest? If you're close to the end, you may want to suck it up and finish it off. Otherwise, taking a break may help renew your interest some.

yonder

Kung Fu Jedi said:
How far are you in the Main Quest? If you're close to the end, you may want to suck it up and finish it off. Otherwise, taking a break may help renew your interest some.
I'm not that far.
I've just entered the cave where the Dawn Thingy shrine is.
But at this point the main quest has gotten so exciting that I'll most likely com plete it as soon as possible anyway...

ShutEye

Just wanted to keep contributing:

I'm over 100 hours in now. Haven't started the main quest yet. I've been searching the map for new places to go, by walking mostly. Does anyone have any other suggestions about how to go uncovering new ground? Horses are a pain, but I guess I'll have to buy one.

Top Bottom