• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

The main quest really is pretty fun, and gets crazy as you go along. It's certainly worth finishing up.

As for exploring the map, I'm not a fan of the horses much either, but if you're going to own one, make sure it's Shadowmere. Otherwise, I just enjoyed walking around and exploring personally. But I broke it up with quests and tomb raiding.

ShutEye

Is Shadowmere the horse you get from
the Dark Brotherhood
? I think I lost that horse.

And I'll definitely finish the game eventually. Hell I haven't bothered playing Dead Rising just so I can keep trudging along in Oblivion.

GhaleonEB

ShutEye said:
the Dark Brotherhood

And I'll definitely finish the game eventually. Hell I haven't bothered playing Dead Rising just so I can keep trudging along in Oblivion.
Shadowmere will go back to the place you first got him at, he never dies.

ShutEye said:
the Dark Brotherhood

Yup, that's the one and you can't actually lose him. Try going back to Fort farragut and he should be there waiting for you.

Vark

demi said:
How do I recharge my magic staves? I've got two sweet lightning ones and they're out of juice. Can I just go to someone and recharge?

I finished the Fighters Guild, about to wrap up Mages Guild. I got the invitation from the Dark Brotherhood and joined the Thieves Guild.

And my Willpower seems to be damaged (the numbers are red) -- how do I get them back? Can I heal somewhere, do I need to find a potion that gives me Willpower?

if you have any full soul gems 'highlight and check the 'soul level', when you click on them it'll bring up a list of all your enchanted items and you can use the soul in the gem to recharge them.

robo_robo

demi said:
How do I recharge my magic staves? I've got two sweet lightning ones and they're out of juice. Can I just go to someone and recharge?

I finished the Fighters Guild, about to wrap up Mages Guild. I got the invitation from the Dark Brotherhood and joined the Thieves Guild.

You have to use soul gems. I think you can make them but I mostly just use the ones I find in dungeons.

Been playing for the last 5 days, so awesome. Dark brotherhood quests were just perfect.

You can pay to have them recharged as well at most of the Mage's Guilds. It's just cheaper to use Soul Gems with captured souls.

As for your Willpower being damaged, you'll need to pray at one of the alters in the different cathedrals to get that fixed, provided you haven't been an evil, nasty person. ;)

Glad to see you're still playing Demi. :D Glad to see this thread returned from the depths of GAF history. :D

demi

Kung Fu Jedi said:
You can pay to have them recharged as well at most of the Mage's Guilds. It's just cheaper to use Soul Gems with captured souls.

As for your Willpower being damaged, you'll need to pray at one of the alters in the different cathedrals to get that fixed, provided you haven't been an evil, nasty person. ;)

Glad to see you're still playing Demi. :D Glad to see this thread returned from the depths of GAF history. :D

I have to do something while I am banned.

And I hate having to do things myself, I would rather just pay them. I have like 10,000 Gold.

raYne

demi said:

And my Willpower seems to be damaged (the numbers are red) -- how do I get them back? Can I heal somewhere, do I need to find a potion that gives me Willpower?
You're still playing? I thought you hated it?...

You can recharge your magic items at various Mages Guild locations. If you find a filled Soul Gem you can use those as well, if you find an empty one and have access to a Soul Trap spell you can use that. Plus there's the Azura Star, which is a re-useable Soul Gem.

For your Willpower, you probably got it sucked out by some random baddy. Yeah, you'll have to find a potion (or food) to repair it. Either that or try prayer depending on your alignment of course.

demi

I am in the Skingrad Mages Guild and I don't see anyone who can recharge my stuff? Do I have to go to specific town Guilds?

Nevermind, the Anvil Guild has a recharger. Sweet.

raYne

demi said:
I am in the Skingrad Mages Guild and I don't see anyone who can recharge my stuff? Do I have to go to specific town Guilds?
There should be someone in each Guild location. Perhaps they aren't awake/around/working at the moment.

Anvil - Marc Gulitte
Bravil - Ita Rienus
Bruma - Volanaro
Cheydinhal - Uurwen
Chorrol - Contumeliorus Florius
Imperialo City - Martina Floria (Arcane University)
Leyawiin - Agata
Skingrad - Vigge the Cautious

Meh. Missed the edit.

Allen

I bought my 360 for this game last month and I’ve clocked a bit over 50 hours already.

I’ve finished all of the Arena matches as well as the Mage’s Guild quests and have mastered all but 2 of my major skills.

What should I tackle next? I want to keep Dark Brotherhood and Thieves quests for last as I’d like my fame high. Are the Fighters Guild quests as lame as everyone says they are? Are there any cities that have a high proportion of interesting quests?

… and I could keep playing. I hope an expansion comes before I finish everything.

Allen said:
I bought my 360 for this game last month and I’ve clocked a bit over 50 hours already.

I’ve finished all of the Arena matches as well as the Mage’s Guild quests and have mastered all but 2 of my major skills.

What should I tackle next? I want to keep Dark Brotherhood and Thieves quests for last as I’d like my fame high. Are the Fighters Guild quests as lame as everyone says they are? Are there any cities that have a high proportion of interesting quests?

… and I could keep playing. I hope an expansion comes before I finish everything.

Fighter's Guild Quests are decent, but not anything special. They just don't have as good of an overall storyline or quests in general as the other guilds. They suffer in comparison when compared to the others as well. Still, I'd probably recommend that you do them next, and then move onto the main questline.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The fighter's guild is very meh, but it's final quest is one of the best I experienced in all of my 60 hours of Oblivion.

GDJustin said:
The fighter's guild is very meh, but it's final quest is one of the best I experienced in all of my 60 hours of Oblivion.

True. There are actually several quests in the Fighter's Guild that are pretty solid, but as a Questline over all, I'd say it was lacking, and really doesn't compare to the others as a whole.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Allen said:

I would start a different character. Roleplay a bit -- why have ONE character do ALL of the quest lines? I think you'll get more out of the game if you split questlines up between multiple characters.

GhaleonEB

SteveMeister said:
I would start a different character. Roleplay a bit -- why have ONE character do ALL of the quest lines? I think you'll get more out of the game if you split questlines up between multiple characters.
I agree with this. I saved the Thieve's Guild for a second, sneaky elf character I made and loved it. I wish I'd saved the Dark Brotherhood for her.

SteveMeister said:

Yeah, I agree with this as well. You can can get a completely different game experience by creating a character this is different from your first one. It's amazing how much the game play changes based on your character type.

demi said:
Or you could just get 100% Chameleon, wouldn't that be easier?

Easier? Sure. It also tends to suck most of the fun out of the game. Chameleon is very over powered when you get it maxed out.

GhaleonEB

demi said:
I prefer fun over easy

I could also move the difficulty slider all the way down and kill everything in a single smack, but that's not fun.

raYne

demi said:
He means actual roleplaying. You'd have a "good" character that'd only do good things... Mages/Fighters Guilds for example. While another evil character would handle the Dark Brotherhood/Thieves Quests etc. Or you'd have a character who heavily favored hand to hand. So you'd use him/her for the Fighters Guild and have a pure Mage for the Mages Guild etc.

Basically having a character for a purpose instead of a single all around one.

It's nice in theory and would extend the game a lot, but it's too much trouble. For me anyway. Once I got to a certain level or had certain skills/equipment, I couldn't imagine starting from scratch and having to relearn or find things again. I don't have that much patience.

GhaleonEB said:
I prefer fun over easy

I could also move the difficulty slider all the way down and kill everything in a single smack, but that's not fun.
Exactly. There are a bunch of ways to overpower yourself, but why bother playing the game if you're gonna use 'em.

On a side note... we're still talking about Oblivion?... Holy shit! :lol

ZombieSupaStar said:
ZOMG LEVELED CONTENT BLARGHGHGH!11

sorry had to throw that in :D

:lol If we start that argument up again, we can probably get another 1000 posts! :D

GhaleonEB said:
It's a reflex. I see a new post in this thread, I click on it. :lol

Same here! I'm like one of Pavlov's dogs. Waiting for my treat! :lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
As a Side Note, I popped this game in the other day, and it still looks nice.

But...

I have no ****ing clue where I left off. I think there's been some people waiting on Medicine for...5 months now?

raYne

Mejilan said:
Anyone ever pick up the Spell Tomes DLC (lol)?
Doubt it. I'm sure someone would've posted a short review here if they did.

Lonestar said:
As a Side Note, I popped this game in the other day, and it still looks nice.

But...

I have no ****ing clue where I left off. I think there's been some people waiting on Medicine for...5 months now?
:lol

You could just check the active quests menu, but it's funnier if you just wonder around aimlessly 'till you figure it out. ;)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
raYne said:
You could just check the active quests menu, but it's funnier if you just wonder around aimlessly 'till you figure it out. ;)

"Why do these guard's hate me??? What did I ever do to them??? Maybe they like this White Horse of mine"

And Kung Fu, you have about 1/10th of the posts in this topic. Please Stop. Think of the Children.

raYne

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yep! That's the one that got me to cave in and finally buy some DLC.

Not Really
I saw "Yep!", and was all "! KFJ bought stuff?!"... then I saw the spoiler bar.

I should've known better.

Lonestar said:
"Why do these guard's hate me??? What did I ever do to them??? Maybe they like this White Horse of mine"

And Kung Fu, you have about 1/10th of the posts in this topic. Please Stop. Think of the Children.
lawl on both counts.

Lonestar said:

I'm not sure if I should be proud, or ashamed! :lol

And 1/10th of the posts wouldn't be so bad, in an average thread. But this one is means something! ;)

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm not sure if I should be proud, or ashamed! :lol

And 1/10th of the posts wouldn't be so bad, in an average thread. But this one is means something! ;)
he was a man with mission!

and now that the mission is accomplished...he's still going! he must be stopped!

:p

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Mejilan said:
Anyone ever pick up the Spell Tomes DLC (lol)?

*slowly raises his hand* I, ahem, did in fact buy the Spell Tomes. In fact, I fired up Oblivion over the weekend after a sizable hiatus just to check them out. I hadn't played since we hit 10k posts or so.

Turns out I had saved inside the Vile Lair, so I climbed up the ladder exit and headed north. On my map I still had a rather large chunk to the north that didn't show anything in, meaning I had probably not been there before. Leaping like a deer, I hopped from rock to rock and found a couple of defunct Oblivion gates that I hadn't uncovered before. It was still mad fun shooting flame arrows with my Badass Bow (tm) and watching Daedroths crumble before they ever reached me.

Pretty soon I stumbled across a cave that I hadn't seen before. I can't for the life of me remember it's name, but it proved to be rather large. For denizens it had a couple of regular minotaurs, a few ogre, and a few will-o-wisps. I looted chest after chest and nada, no spell tomebs. I was starting to get discouraged when I hit a "Hard" locked chest. Falling quickly to my never-break pick, I was like "Hello, what's all this then?", sure enough a "Bound Greaves" tome! Right-clicking it, it opened up like a normal book and popped up a message asking me if I wanted to scribe it, which I chose yes.

I figured out that the books don't go away when you scribe them, instead they remain, so you can make a nice little library of spell tomes if you so choose. Nice touch. Opening the book up again lets you read what little there is to read. It basically has a spell icon and a brief description of the spell. After "Bound Greaves" I found a "Paralyze" tome, but that's it.

I think the Spell Tome DLC is a nice addition, especially if you were starting out a new caster-type. My level 45 Vampire Orc bowman/blademaster doesn't benefit from many spells, except for Wizard's Fury which I use a lot. Still, I like it, and finding loot besides calipers and yarn is neat.

Once again my Oblivion obsession overwhelms me to the exclusion of all else!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So it's nice for collectors or mages who have a tower somewhere and want to show off with a library? And pad out their stock spell lists?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Mejilan said:
So it's nice for collectors or mages who have a tower somewhere and want to show off with a library? And pad out their stock spell lists?

Yep, plus supposedly there are some nice spells to be had, that are available only through the Tomes. I haven't ran onto any of those, but I look forward to it.

demi

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Easier? Sure. It also tends to suck most of the fun out of the game. Chameleon is very over powered when you get it maxed out.

As long as I can get the achievements easier.

Raiden

Banned
You people love Oblivion too much, anyway i started playing again too two weeks ago, still at it. The game is like 20x times more fun with an bow, i cant believe i never used a bow on my first character, kinda explains i didnt like it as much.

Im leveling my restoration and alteration skills now, stealing stuff is so much fun, especially when im out of arrows:lol

Top Bottom