• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Hey have you guys seen the scans of the PC gamer issue with the pics from the upcoming expansion, the shivering isles? looks sweet as a nut. Set in Sheogoraths realm. Hope we see plug ins continue as well though and would love at least another expansion to match Mowinds 2. Awesome.

raYne

Lonesome_Raod said:
Hey have you guys seen the scans of the PC gamer issue with the pics from the upcoming expansion, the shivering isles? looks sweet as a nut. Set in Sheogoraths realm. Hope we see plug ins continue as well though and would love at least another expansion to match Mowinds 2. Awesome.
I've seen the scans. The silver Knight enemy character looked especially badass.

Makes you want to kill him and take his armor. Which is something I just may do. :D

Vark said:
It's been about a month now. Still settling in for the most part, holidays and the like.

Awesome Vark! Congrats on the new job and project. Can't wait to hear what you're working on. Are you actually working for one of the companies here in Austin now? There are quite a few game companies here, some in the same building where I work, and that would literally put you in my backyard. And yeah, no problem wit running out of beer here. :)

Mau ®

I just got Oblivion so I have some questions...

1.- When you break in a house, are you always gonna get caught? Or is there some way to avoid the guards that discover you entered into the house?
2.- Can you get a horse of your own later on?

Yeah. Not really a question but I don't like OB interface as much as Morrowind. Its not really well sorted out.

raYne

inthezone said:
1.- When you break in a house, are you always gonna get caught? Or is there some way to avoid the guards that discover you entered into the house?
If you don't let anyone see you enter, you'll always get away with it.

Your best bet is the do it a night. Save for a few guards and some late nighters, almost everyone would be asleep. So there's less chance that you'd be spotted.

While in a home, you should use stealth (stay crouched while you're moving around) so you don't make any noise. This way if the owner is home and sleeping, they'll stay that way.

If you plan to make breaking into homes a habit (wink wink). Build up your lockpicking and stealth skills.

2.- Can you get a horse of your own later on?
Yep, you can buy horses later.

There are a few Quests where you can get one free of charge upon completion. Even one that's stronger, faster than the others and immortal.

GhaleonEB

I'm having a good time with the Knights of the Nine quest so far. One gaffe that cost me some time: I was praying at the wrong kind of shrines. The shrines to the Nine and the Aleid shrines are similar, and give similar effects. It also doesn't help that there's an Aleid one right on the map marker, usually close to the correct shrine. I discovered this at the fourth one, which finally updated my quest log. I'm doing it as an actual pilgramage, walking from each to each doing some caves and gathering Mage's Guild recomendations, so it took some time. :lol

The first dungeon,
with the underwater entrance
, was excellent and I hope in an indication of how the rest of the new dungeons are designed. It didn't feel like any of the others in the game, with holes knocked into walls you have to jump up and climb through, connecting two different sets of ruins. Very cool stuff. I find the core game mechanics so enjoyable, as long as Bethesda keeps adding content like this, I could just play it forever. The full expansion can't come soon enough.

according to http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=153278

Revealed in the latest edition of PC Zone magazine, word is that the expansion will offer 30-plus hours of new adventuring, features new quests, monsters, expanded freeform gameplay - quest lines that branch more than before, for example - and a new land "that you can watch change according to your vital life-or-death decisions".
PC Zone #177, which hits shelves today, has first screenshots from Shivering Isles and further information on the expansion - so, go grab it Oblivion fans.
This is great.

Odrion

Banned
raYne said:
Too short.

You know, it's kinda odd to say that about a 30 hour expansion pack... But yeah, too short. :lol

How do I start the Nights of the Nine quest? I finally broke down and bought all of the marketplace add-ons (really loving that Frostwind Spire whatever place.)

raYne

Tieno said:
How is it too short? Still depends on the price.
Playtimes are always exaggerated.

That and if it is true, it's still shorter than I want it to be. So it's too short. ;)

Odrion said:
How do I start the Nights of the Nine quest?
You have to travel to the various cities and talk to random npcs to get clues.

Hint, start with the chapels.

Mau ®

That is too short. Im hoping they changed the landscapes. Oblivion landscapes are beautiful and whatever but really it gets waaay too old to see a fantastic beautiful forest all the time.

Morrowind had some variation in that department. The wasteland was boring sure but there was more than just that.

Is it bad if I think Morrowind was somehow, better than Oblivion?

GhaleonEB

inthezone said:
That is too short. Im hoping they changed the landscapes. Oblivion landscapes are beautiful and whatever but really it gets waaay too old to see a fantastic beautiful forest all the time.
From the seperate thread on the expansion:

"Oblivion - Shivering Isles" - Nuttier than a medieval Fruitcake.

Expansions are always difficult for a developer, as giving the same is boring, and departing from the established too much alienates fans.

In an attempt to avoid this conundrum, the expansion for the popular Elder Scrolls IV will add a unique twist to the established formula - it changes little gameplay wise, but adds a whole lot of totally new and unique content.

Rather than expand into another province of Tamriel, Bethesda dipped into the lore and decided to transport players to the 'Shivering Isles' known also as 'The realm of Madness', the daedric realm ruled by the prince Sheogorath. (Just on a side note, if anyone has the played the Sheogorath Shrine Quests, they should set the tone for the expansion - twisted and at times sadistic humor).

The god Juggalef is preparing his 'once-in-an-eon' Greymarch - a cleansing of the land and everyone within, including, by extension, Sheogorath himself. With this premise you are allowed entry to the shivering isles, a place where everything is a bit off - including the plants, landscapes, creatures and NPCs.

The strangeness of the Shivering isles creates a lot of humor - "Not only are a lot of the NPCs downright hilarious, thanks to the insanity that permeates the land, but the humor also lends something of a clasic LucasArts adventure game bent to the Quests you'll embark upon. You'll laugh more in 10 hours with Shivering isles than you did with 100 hours with the parent game".

One quest has you deciding the fate of a group of adventurers who have strayed into a dungeon in search of great riches. You, along with one of Sheogoraths minions get to decide the fate of said adventurers, as Sheogorath has already decided that they are to die. You can kill them outright, or use traps and illusions within the dungeons to drive them insane (ie the adventurers see a locked cage filled with unimaginable riches - you can opt to electrify the cage, killing anyone who touches it, walk in and kill them yourself, or drop thousands of key in the room, driving them insane as they search for the real one).

You will be able to move between cyrodiil and the Shivering Isles at will, and the expansion will be suitable for all level ranges (I guess this means leveled content), with the entrance to the isles located on an island in Niben bay, near Bravil. Ill close with this quote - "If you're still pursing your lips at the thought of playing Oblivion in a land filled with a pink night sky and trees that look lifted from an acid junkies sketchbook, ask yourself if you really wanted more of the same".
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5206428&postcount=53

I'm having fun in Knights of the Nine so far. 16 hours into a new character, about 1/2 new content, 1/2 stuff I'm doing on the side. Loving it. I just did a series of puzzles that *gasp* the game didn't spoil - I actually had to figure them out on my own.

I was hoping for more than 30 hours, but I'll start a new character for it, and doing some stuff to get that character going will add to the time for me. The early stages of developing a character are the most interesting for me.

MMaRsu

One quest has you deciding the fate of a group of adventurers who have strayed into a dungeon in search of great riches. You, along with one of Sheogoraths minions get to decide the fate of said adventurers, as Sheogorath has already decided that they are to die. You can kill them outright, or use traps and illusions within the dungeons to drive them insane (ie the adventurers see a locked cage filled with unimaginable riches - you can opt to electrify the cage, killing anyone who touches it, walk in and kill them yourself, or drop thousands of key in the room, driving them insane as they search for the real one).

Sounds like Saw..lol

Rayne you got pm btw :)

XSamu

Banned
After I got all of the achievements I stopped playing this game, it got boring. But now my little brother has the game on the PC.. omg, there are like thousands of cool mods that'll give new life to this game. It's really too bad I can't get those mods on my Xbox 360 :(

MMaRsu

I'm looking for a will-o-wisp or something for the main questline..I need something that they drop for a deadra shrine or something..

anyone know where to get those?

raYne

MMaRsu said:
I'm looking for a will-o-wisp or something for the main questline..I need something that they drop for a deadra shrine or something..

The higher your level, the harder they are to find. You'll usually find them in and near shrines, ruins and swamps. I wish I knew the exact outdoor locations off hand, but it's been too long since I've played it.

However, since you only need the dust, you can find it at:
-Bruma Mages Guild: On a table in the alchemy room (basement).
-A few vendors in the Imperial City (Market District) have them as well:
*Ogier Georick at The Main Ingredient
*Claudette Perrick at the Gilded Carafe
*Calindil at Mystic Emporium

After you have reached level 12, it'll be available from other alchemy vendors too.

edit:
They should be near the Azura shrine actually...

GhaleonEB

MMaRsu said:

Check in the marshes in the southeast. They hang out around caves and along the road.

Edit: or just do the stuff raYne said.

GhaleonEB

Just finished Knights of the Nine. Reviews have been posted, so just a few comments, in bullet form. Spoilers, obviously.

*The new enemy was a nice surprise. I didn't know there was one in there.

*The new dungeons were great, and felt different than the others in the game. It's clear some effort went into designing them. One problem: the final relic, held by a mid-boss as it were, was in a dungeon that already existed in the game. I'd done it on my last game, and it's one of the best in the game, but after a series of quests with original content it felt like a cop-out.

*The last dungeon was waaaaaay too easy. I had a pack of Knights who just plowed through the enemies en masse - the final showdown had them spawning and dropping in about eight seconds flat. I actually stopped fighting them since I kept whacking my guys by accident.

*The boss was cool visually, but was a total pushover. Skeleton Guardians were tougher than him by a wide margin. Both of him! Each fight lasted a few seconds as I pummeled him so hard he got stuck in a constant stagger.

*The puzzles were great, and I hope that's an indication of the expansion. Having to do the pilgramage without markers was a nice change of pace as well. Overall a much better job balancing out hand-holding with pointing you in the right direction than the main game.

*Worth the $10, IMO. Bring on the expansion. My next character is going to be one evil ****ing battle mage. :D

bengraven

jimbo said:
Any word on the next Elder Scrolls? Will there even be another one this generation of consoles?

That's not usually how they work. They only make one each generation or so and filled in the gaps with expansions or spin-offs (for this game, microtransactions! :lol ). At least, that's how they worked back in the day.

With the pressures they may be feeling having a huge hit, the sudden order for a sequel could be inevitable. Of course, they are an independent company with no controlling parent company, so they may be able to still say "not for another four or five years".

MMaRsu

Just finished the main quest last night..man what a dissapointment :lol . You don't even fight a big boss or anything!

GhaleonEB

ShutEye said:
Is it worth the money or should I just wait until the full expansion comes out?

I thought it was worth the $10, in large part because I enjoyed the new things. There are some unique dungeon designs, weapons, armor and some other things. If you *just* plow through the quest, doing fast-travel everywhere, you can probably get through it in 6-8 hours. I started a character just for it, and did a few things to develop her along the way, so that stetched it out to ~16 hours for me. The expansion will undoubtedly have a better cost:playtime ratio, though.

I'm nervous about the announced playtime of the expansion, though. Knights of the Nine was said to have 10-20 hours of playtime, and that's quite the exaggeration. Compared to the other factions in the main game, it's easily the shortest. I hope the 30-hour estimate for Shivering Isles is a conservative one.

MMaRsu said:
Just finished the main quest last night..man what a dissapointment :lol . You don't even fight a big boss or anything!
It was more of a climactic battle. I found it rather satisfying, but I can see why you might want a boss.

Mau ®

MMaRsu said:

You know, some of us have not finished the main quest. Spoilers are your friends! :)

Morrowind was like that. I don't think bosses have ever been a crucial part of the TES experience.

Mau ®

Is elevation spell in the game? I see no mention of it in the manuals and I have not seen it anywhere...

It was probably the most useful spell in Morrowind...

raYne

inthezone said:
Is elevation spell in the game? I see no mention of it in the manuals and I have not seen it anywhere...

Nope. No elevation spells.

The closest thing to that in Oblivion is telekenesis, but that only works on objects. Thats not all that useful either, but it kicks ass when you have a thief character.

XSamu

Banned
jimbo said:
Any word on the next Elder Scrolls? Will there even be another one this generation of consoles?
I hope another will come this gen. And I really hope they'll fully utilize the power of the 360 for the next-one. Not really for graphics, but for everything else. I'd be happy if the graphics remained the same (except for the terrible textures in the distance) and they'd use the power for everything else (gameplay-wise and technologically-wise) :)

XSamu

Banned
inthezone said:

I believe that spell exists in a mod :)

Im hoping ES5 comes out by 2009, looks better than Crysis, better combat, set years ahead of Oblivion/Morrowind time where you can see the advance in technology, and feature the full map of Tamriel (the game would be HUGE, and even if it still includes Morrowind and Cyrodiil, they would be quite different since it would be a far later time) where you could select where you start and that would effect the story

bengraven

Linkzg said:
Im hoping ES5 comes out by 2009, looks better than Crysis, better combat, set years ahead of Oblivion/Morrowind time where you can see the advance in technology, and feature the full map of Tamriel (the game would be HUGE, and even if it still includes Morrowind and Cyrodiil, they would be quite different since it would be a far later time) where you could select where you start and that would effect the story

The first three are probably the most realistic, but the next few hopes are beyond that.

Edit: although with
the death of any Septim heirs
, they have really opened up the book. The next one could conceivably take place any time in the future after
another Septim-less government was put into place

As for the whole map being available? Not going to happen. They have a franchise here and they don't want to blow their load.

GhaleonEB

raYne said:
Nope. No elevation spells.

The closest thing to that in Oblivion is telekenesis, but that only works on objects. Thats not all that useful either, but it kicks ass when you have a thief character.
The only use I ever found for telekenesis was grabbing the stones that are high up in the elvin ruins (though I mostly knocked them down with arrows). Any other uses? It's a great spell conceptually, but I never found a good use for it.

GhaleonEB said:
The only use I ever found for telekenesis was grabbing the stones that are high up in the elvin ruins (though I mostly knocked them down with arrows). Any other uses? It's a great spell conceptually, but I never found a good use for it.

I used it in at least one quest where I needed to grab an item that was guarded by something that I didn't want to or couldn't fight. Telekinesis while stealthed allows you to snag the item without being spotted (might not be 100% effective though, it worked the times I needed it).

bengraven said:
The first three are probably the most realistic, but the next few hopes are beyond that.

Edit: although with
the death of any Septim heirs
, they have really opened up the book. The next one could conceivably take place any time in the future after
another Septim-less government was put into place

As for the whole map being available? Not going to happen. They have a franchise here and they don't want to blow their load.

they could go out of Cyrodiil for 6 and up, and didnt Elder Scrolls 1 have all of Cyrodiil?

MMaRsu

inthezone said:
You know, some of us have not finished the main quest. Spoilers are your friends! :)

Morrowind was like that. I don't think bosses have ever been a crucial part of the TES experience.

I'm sorry man, just figured because it's been out since ages and stuff..

MMaRsu said:

Eh...don't sweat it. No one should complain about spoilers when a game has been out for nearly 10 months, and they're in an "Official Thread". Especially one that is over 10k in size. :D

Mau ®

MMaRsu said:

Well yes. Youre right. I just got the game like 6 days ago so that's why I made the comment.

Im not mad or anything :lol And well is not that big of a spoiler since I was not expecting a big boss fight. Dont worry. :)

Mau ®

Linkzg said:

2009 is way too early for a next TES but you never know. With the breathrough success of Oblivion I would guess Bethesda would speed up the fifth installment but I would like them to take their time. A Q2 2010- Q4 2010 would be a great time.

I also think they should completely swith artstyles. I love Morrowind and Oblivion art but they gotta change it. Something more modern, not present day modern or fully futuristic ala FFXIII but maybe a clash of artstyles between the Thief series (Dark medieval) and FFVII (future industrial). I like the look of those in Advent Children. Although that would make it too moody so maybe throw in some beautiful, nature sceneries for a change.

Gameplay-wise. There's some work to do though I loved how they improved it in Oblivion. A lot of fine details that make combat so much better than in Morrowind. Though I would like to see some sim-like features like flirting and marriage, have a wife, be able to cheat on your wife, have families or whatnot... that would take too much time but would be totally awesome!

It would be cool to have both Cyrodill and Morrowind together but it'll probably be a new land set years ahead. We couyld probably see lots of references from those places though.

I would like to see the next TES on curent gen plataforms but Im not holding my breath. I truly believe storage will become an issue by then for 360 games and disk swapping fora TES game is unnaceptable.

Anyway those are my crazy ideas...:lol

Aurora

Some good ideas actually.

The hardest aspect of TES 5 for me to imagine is the setting and the world. As you said, it should change from the classical medieval period and be modernised somehow. How much or in what direction though I'm not really sure. Perhaps they could make a hybrid of a traditional medieval setting with an industrial kind of one - as if to say the two are in conflict with one another in this new era.

I really hope that next Elder Scrolls come soon. Bethesda has already developed engine for current gen hardware. So I think it might be possible to develop new game in 2 yrs or so.

Most important part of the next game is already done. :)

Xenon

Ok i'm going to try to begin the game again with a new character. I had no idea what I was doing the first time and my character is just a mess.

I want to make a pure monk\mage. He's not going to use melee weapons, bows or any form of armor. So my focus is going H2H, Destruction, Alteration, Conjuration and basic Restoration magic. My question is about the leveling system since its been a while. I know if I select any of those as my major skills my character will shoot up in levels, something I want to avoid. I plan to have things like Mysticism, Illusion as major skills with the rest set to skills I will not use like heavy armor, blade, ect. This way I can trigger a level up when needed. The character will have no major skills with the Wisdom attribute. Will I still be able to get a +5 to wisdom on level up? I should because I will be leveling up Destruction, Alteration, and Restoration at least 10-15 total each time I level my character.

I hope that made some sense. ES:O's lvl system always seems counter productive to me.

I heard somewhere that the Knights of the Nine expansion thing contains all the previous expansions (Horse Armor, Orrery, razor etc.). Can't remember where I heard it. Is this true? I'll be grabbing it off Live if so.

And on another note, for character creation. I haven't come up with something perfect yet, but right now I got a character with Main skills: Block, Blunt, Light armor, Mysticism, Alteration, Illusion, and Marksmen

I'm level 15 right now, and for sure, Blunt should have been hand to hand. Also, I hit 100 in speed just as my light armor hit 95, so I ****ed up there by one level. As well block needs to replaced. The problem is all three endurance and speed skills I want to be able to use all the time. I'm thinking taking two main skills each in the willpower and the intelligence magic schools. Haven't made that yet, it's hard to go back and start all over again since power leveling is difficult in comparison to Morrowind. I don't know why they were so determind to kill power leveling in this one.

Top Bottom