• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

ElyrionX

PedroLumpy said:
I heard somewhere that the Knights of the Nine expansion thing contains all the previous expansions (Horse Armor, Orrery, razor etc.). Can't remember where I heard it. Is this true? I'll be grabbing it off Live if so.

That's only applicable for the PC version. The Xbox Live download does not include any of the previous expansion releases.

raYne

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Perhaps the expansion might contain all those things as well in a Game of the Year edition for the 360. We can hope! :D
What do you mean "we"?

You wouldn't buy the horse armor, but you'd buy a GoTY ed. with "free" horse armor?

:lol :p

X26

Banned
For those have played a lot of Oblivion, what's your cpmpleted quest count at? I'm done all the guild quests and the main storyline, and am wondering how many random little missions/quests I can still stumble upon

I can't recall exactly, but I thought there was somewhere in the neighborhood of 130-140 side quests. I don't think there were as many as there were in Morrowind, but they were more unique and distinct.

X26

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I can't recall exactly, but I thought there was somewhere in the neighborhood of 130-140 side quests. I don't think there were as many as there were in Morrowind, but they were more unique and distinct.

I think I'm at 110, so good to know there's still a fair bit to do in that regard

bengraven

Kung Fu Jedi said:

Morrowind had at least twice as many quests. Probably over 300 in fact. It's the biggest reason I don't play Oblivion as much anymore. In Morrowind, there were so many quests that you almost HAD to play multiple characters to do all the sidequests and storylines.

At least I did, and loved it.

bengraven said:
Morrowind had at least twice as many quests. Probably over 300 in fact. It's the biggest reason I don't play Oblivion as much anymore. In Morrowind, there were so many quests that you almost HAD to play multiple characters to do all the sidequests and storylines.

Yeah, I agree. Especially some of the Great House quests that you really couldn't do with one character because of the faction settings.

But the general side quests were more mundane for the most part. More fetch quests and such. Oblivion cut down on that stuff quite a bit, and had some quests that were far more involved. Still, I do miss the Great Houses though.

raYne

bengraven said:

The only reason you had to use mutiple characters in Morrowind was because there were quest resolutions that blocked you from completing the different questlines as a single character.

In that regard, Oblivion is better desgined. Regardless of how many times Steve suggests that we use multiple characters. ;)

GhaleonEB

bengraven said:

It also depends on how you define quests. There's well over 100 dungeons - probably more like 150 - that don't have a quest attached. They are just there to be explored. I consider those quests, of a sort. I put ~315 hours into Oblivion so far, and still have not done them all, nor all the quests. I didn't play Morrowind, so I can't compare, but I've never understood the complaint that Oblivion doesn't have enough to do.

GhaleonEB said:
It also depends on how you define quests. There's well over 100 dungeons - probably more like 150 - that don't have a quest attached. They are just there to be explored. I consider those quests, of a sort. I put ~315 hours into Oblivion so far, and still have not done them all, nor all the quests. I didn't play Morrowind, so I can't compare, but I've never understood the complaint that Oblivion doesn't have enough to do.

I'm with you on the exploration thing. I can play for hours just exploring dungeons and such. No need to even have a quest. I would like to see a little more variety in terms of dungeon styles next time out. They varied nicely in construciton and layout though. Plus, I'd love to have some nice rewards for exploring those dungeons too, like special items that are never dropped by enemies and can only be found through exploration. :D

bengraven

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, I agree. Especially some of the Great House quests that you really couldn't do with one character because of the faction settings.

But the general side quests were more mundane for the most part. More fetch quests and such. Oblivion cut down on that stuff quite a bit, and had some quests that were far more involved. Still, I do miss the Great Houses though.

raYne said:
The only reason you had to use mutiple characters in Morrowind was because there were quest resolutions that blocked you from completing the different questlines as a single character.

In that regard, Oblivion is better desgined. Regardless of how many times Steve suggests that we use multiple characters. ;)

GhaleonEB said:

When I played Morrowind, there was always something coming up. I had the thick strategy guide and yet was always surprised when I talked to a person outside of a shop and was told the shopkeeper was corrupt and I needed to do something about it. To me, it ALWAYS felt like there was something to do. There were so many quests and so many dungeons that it was hard to do everything.

And because the game didn't keep track of your quests, you couldn't be anal about finishing them all. In Oblivion, you can look at your "checklist" of quests and say "oh, I still have to go back and kill those slaughterfish for that ring". And because of fast-travel, you just fly to the nearby inn and go kill those fish. In Morrowind, you FORGOT you had quests. You'll be talking to someone in a shop and see a hotlink and go "Oh, that's RIGHT, I had to deliver clothes to this person or I'll get the Mark of Zenithar and **** up my game". As I said, I'm anal, so when I see a list of quests, I'm going to finish them as soon as possible so I can get the next. It kills a lot of the casual aspects of this.

(which brings me to my second favorite part of this: going back through your journal and finding out how many in-game days ago you found that quest and realizing it was about four real time months ago) [edit: and yeah, KFJ, they were mundane, but I play WoW, so *shrug* :lol ]

But outside of the random quests and dungeons to explore, there was the faction quests. You could choose loyalty to only ONE great house (Hlaalu ftw suxxorz) and the storyline for those were fairly long. And then there were, if I remember correctly and counting the expansion which added one or two, about 15 different factions. I was to the point where I played 100+ hours with a character and was not even that far up in any of the factions. I might be close to the top of the Thieves Guild and Imperial Legion, but I still had five or six factions I wanted to get to eventually and another five or six I would get to only if bored (Imperial Temple and Imperial Cult). So for me, I would only do three or four factions with each character and I put hundreds of hours into each.

My bottom line is that with all the characters I created, I had new stories for all of them because I never could play them the same. Oblivion is different because when I start up, I KNOW I'm going to do that Lake Rumare quest so I can breathe underwater forever and then I'm going to do the Brotherhood and then Thieves and then probably Mages or Fighters and get to the Arena and then finally hit up the main quest. It feels much more linear.

Some people may enjoy that and frankly, I'm sure most of you don't agree and play it how you do, but I just don't feel that awe I did with MW. I love Oblivion and I know it's a much, much better game (no, seriously, MW is fairly brown and dull and the characters are lifeless), but when I step out of the sewers I feel like "okay, what do do first?"

When I step out of that office in Morrowind, I smile and shiver and go "Okay, it's time to just get lost and let what comes to me come" and I disappear into the wilderness.

bengraven said:
Morrowind had at least twice as many quests. Probably over 300 in fact...

In retail release or with all expansions???

Right now with retail release of Oblivion, I guess it stands at around 200. But with 1 or 2 expansion packs it might reach there.

bengraven

MirageDwarf said:
In retail release or with all expansions???

Right now with retail release of Oblivion, I guess it stands at around 200. But with 1 or 2 expansion packs it might reach there.

Steve or Vark would have to give a definite, but I know the original retail was around or above 300 if I'm correct. Getting the GotY edition with the two expansions made even more.

bengraven

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I believe that 300 number is retail, without expansions as well. Could be wrong, but I seem to recall that same number.

I tried to find the number, but I don't think anyone knows. :lol

Mau ®

Well yes Morrowind had more quests but Oblivion's quests are so far more involving. Even the most insignificant of them have a certain level of involvement not found in some of Morrowind's quests.

GhaleonEB

SteveMeister said:
Get the strategy guide, it has walkthroughs of all the quests.
Should we do that before or after we buy all the DLC?

I bought the LE version of Oblivion ($70 - full price), and $13 in DLC (the Razor dungeon and Knights of the Nine). Can't you tell me something for free? Please? :p

GhaleonEB said:
I'd read that the total quest count is ~200, including main and side quests.

It's around 160 give or take, depending on what you consider "quests".

16 for the Main Quest
19 Dark Brotherhood
11 Thieves Guild
21 Mages Guild
21 Fighters Guild
15 Daedric Shrine
50 SideQuests
9 House Quests

Of course, this doesn't count all the Oblivion Gates that you can close.

Confidence Man said:

16 for the Main Quest
19 Dark Brotherhood
11 Thieves Guild
21 Mages Guild
21 Fighters Guild
15 Daedric Shrine
50 SideQuests
9 House Quests

I think you forgot these:
21 skill training (after you reach 100)

So far I've got one of these (Restoration) in my journal. Haven't finished it yet though. But these quests exist for all skills. Or so I've heard.

GhaleonEB

MirageDwarf said:
I think you forgot these:
21 skill training (after you reach 100)

So far I've got one of these (Restoration) in my journal. Haven't finished it yet though. But these quests exist for all skills. Or so I've heard.
I'm telling you, dungeons! 150 quests right there. :p

(BTW - you can do the
Master Trainer
quests at level
75, IIRC.

GreekWolf

SteveMeister said:
Get the strategy guide, it has walkthroughs of all the quests.
Steve, can you give us any juicy hints on the expansion? Like, will we finally get to battle the Sload? Or the Vampire Lizardmen? Or the
OMGBBQ TIGER DRAGON???
:D

Sload_Morrowind.gif

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
GhaleonEB said:
Should we do that before or after we buy all the DLC?

I bought the LE version of Oblivion ($70 - full price), and $13 in DLC (the Razor dungeon and Knights of the Nine). Can't you tell me something for free? Please? :p

Oh I was specifically referring to the Morrowind quest count. I know there are fewer quests in Oblivion, but the intent was to make each of them more involved & lengthy than most of Morrowind's.

As far as the Oblivion strategy guid, it (obviously) doesn't have any walkthroughs for any of the DLC including Knights of the Nine or the upcoming expansion, since none of those existed before the game was released. A GOTY version of the Morrowind strategy guide was eventually released, so I wouldn't be surprised that if there's eventually a GOTY edition of Oblivion, there'd also be a GOTY Oblivion strategy guide with everything in it.

That said, I don't know much about Knights of the Nine or the Oblivion expansion. I've been full-time on Fallout 3 since Oblivion shipped and have only seen bits & pieces of the subsequent Oblivion work.

I'd say it was mission accomplished on making the quests more involoved in Oblivion. Morrowind did have a lot more, but as I said earlier, a lot of them were fetch quests, or ortherwise fairly straightforward goals. Many of the Oblivion quests were much more complex and involved. For instance, the Collector's Quest seems like it's fairly straight forward at first, but anyone who has played it, knows that it branched out in new areas that were not expected. There were like 8 or 10 sub-quests in that quest alone.

Mau ®

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'd say it was mission accomplished on making the quests more involoved in Oblivion. Morrowind did have a lot more, but as I said earlier, a lot of them were fetch quests, or ortherwise fairly straightforward goals. Many of the Oblivion quests were much more complex and involved. For instance, the Collector's Quest seems like it's fairly straight forward at first, but anyone who has played it, knows that it branched out in new areas that were not expected. There were like 8 or 10 sub-quests in that quest alone.

QFT.

A very good example is the very first Fighters Guild quest in Anvil

1.- Go Rat Lady's house and inquire about situation
2.- Go to basement, check on rats and kill lion
3.- Report back to Lady (This is where I expect the mission to end)
4.- Go kill all lions in the area with warrior guy
5.- After killing lions, report back to Lady (Again, I expected the quest to end here)
6.- Oh noes another lion! Go kill
7.- Report back to lady (Will it end here?)
8.- Lady is suspicious about neighbor, check on it.
9.- Neighbor is behind it all

you can either

10A.- You can lie to lady and cover evil writer

or

10B.- Report back to lady

You would expect the quest to end at point 3 or 5, it would've been like that in Morrowind. I definetely appreciated the more thought out quests overall. Good job Besthesda!

Clevinger

SteveMeister said:
I've been full-time on Fallout 3 since Oblivion shipped and have only seen bits & pieces of the subsequent Oblivion work.

How's development going on Fallout 3? I feel bad for you guys for having a fanbase so rabid and idiotic as the people at the fansites like NMA.

Awful, awful, human beings. :lol

Good luck.

pilonv1

Confidence Man said:

16 for the Main Quest
19 Dark Brotherhood
11 Thieves Guild
21 Mages Guild
21 Fighters Guild
15 Daedric Shrine
50 SideQuests
9 House Quests

What about the
8 Arena Quests? They're not really quests since it's just a fight but the last one does have you find that guy's heratige. There's also the Vampirism questline too. I'm disappointed the Thieves guild has about half as many quests as the other guilds but they were awesome. Add the Arena ones plus the Skill quests and you're getting up to 200.

Odrion

Banned
83 hours and I only have 40 quests done. Hahaha I suck.

I think I'm going to need to make a new character. My other dude hit level 24 or whatever and I don't think his blades or strength can make him anymore powerful (my weapon damage isn't growing past 26.) I don't know much about caps, but is it at level 30 where the game hits it's difficulty cap and you just end up fighting everything in Daedric gear and the most powerful types of enemies?

Xenon

****, Oblivion killed my 360! =\ I know it probably wasn't Oblivion but I cant run the game it just kept going to a black screen after loading my save. I'm afraid to boot the 360 again because the last time it left a weird blue line across my LCD screen that wouldn't go away even though I switched input sources. After shutting it off and letting it sit for a few minutes it went away.

chase

Just want to post in this thread while it's up near the top.

This game has really spoiled me. Every game should be like this.

With that praise, which could hardly be higher, let me give my complaints (which have undoubtedly been argued to death already, but I want to get them out).

Eliminate leveling. In a game as wide open as this one is, leveling seems archaic and, besides that, isn't implemented well.

More variety. Every cave is like every other cave. Same with Forts, Ayelid ruins, etc. I had no interest in exploring them after the second of each.

More quests involving people. I just can't get involved in killing random monsters as most quests. With humans, at least they feel individual. Give the ones you're after more personality as well.

Main quest was, thanks to Oblivion, mostly a chore. I don't play it when I replay the game (which is often).

Random quests. Yeah, they'd be comparatively boring, fetch-this kinda quests, but it would give you something to do after you've played the game through five or six characters. People say there's lots of quests, but, aside from the guilds (the best parts of the game, easily), I get the same ones every time I've played.

More people. Don't have to give them all personalities, but still.

Online co-op/party play!

Clevinger

I concur with the random quests. There should be a group of them for every faction, I think.

Also, Steve, I think this to a small extent might be good in Fallout 3. One thing I liked doing in Fallout 2 was working as a bodyguard for a caravan that traveled between towns (I think it was from Vault City). It'd be great if there were random minor quests like that in the game. And for the flip side character, you could join some raiders and go on raiding missions on small (and random) settlements and caravans.

Making a living for a character like that (in that, you can keep doing it through random content), and really feeling like you belong and act in a faction (protecting or raiding places and caravans) helps immersion immensely for me.

GhaleonEB

More variety. Every cave is like every other cave. Same with Forts, Ayelid ruins, etc. I had no interest in exploring them after the second of each.
You missed out, big time. There are a LOT of unique and interesting dungeon designs in there. Over time you start to recognize the "parts" that they are built from, but the designs are pretty incredible. One that started as a cave, and turned into a massive underground city, spilling over into an underground lake and ruined city. Another starting as a cave and turning into a massive five level crypt, with a buried (and undead) king roaming around.

For every cave that was similar to others, there's some that a wonderfully inventive design and are great fun to explore. My only request for dungeons in the next, or the expansion, is for more of those "parts". The actual designs made with them were wonderful. (I've done dozens of optional dungeons.)

Shivering Isles is so mine when it goes up on live.

In regards to the next Elder Scrolls though, I wouldn't be surprised if the game isn't set in Tamriel. Given the quests, books, as well as the consversation bit about the Neverar, I think the next one might take place in Akavir.

Pudding Tame said:
Shivering Isles is so mine when it goes up on live.

I highly doubt this will be distributed through Live. It's a full blown expansion. It's going to have to be on a DVD I think. The download would be fairly large if they have all new voice acting, new textures, creatures, etc.

GhaleonEB

MirageDwarf said:
I believe the term "shit hot" is appropriate.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I highly doubt this will be distributed through Live. It's a full blown expansion. It's going to have to be on a DVD I think. The download would be fairly large if they have all new voice acting, new textures, creatures, etc.
We've had demos run 1.5 GB before. If the full version of Oblivion is ~4-5 GB, I can see this being DLC.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just watched the video... Oh My GAWD! This is gonna be so boss, it'll be Boss Hogg. I can't wait!!

My level 48 Orc Vampire outta have a bit o' fun in that place, me thinks. Oh yes, a bit o' fun indeed. Muahahahahahahaaaaa!

GhaleonEB said:
We've had demos run 1.5 GB before. If the full version of Oblivion is ~4-5 GB, I can see this being DLC.

True, but do you want to dedicate that much of your hard drive for an expansion? Demos you can play and delete as you like. The expansion will have to stay on the drive for a good long time.

With TV shows, Movies, demos, trailers, and more to download, the 20 GB drive doesn't seem big enough to have a full blown expansion on their indefinitely.

bengraven

...creatures from Morrowind are going to be in it? What creatures? No, seriously, Beth, if you want to make me insane, then you'll add that certain creature that will make your Morrowind fans go as insane as that mad god himself.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
True, but do you want to dedicate that much of your hard drive for an expansion? Demos you can play and delete as you like. The expansion will have to stay on the drive for a good long time.

With TV shows, Movies, demos, trailers, and more to download, the 20 GB drive doesn't seem big enough to have a full blown expansion on their indefinitely.

But here's the thing with that: if this is an expansion pack and will come on it's own disk, will is simply read your save data and pull you into the world automatically, or will you have to find the gateway within the real game. And if that is so, either we're going to have to switch discs...or we're going to have to download the expansion to our harddrives. If we have to download it, then why couldn't it be distributed over the Marketplace?

Other than the reason that 4 gig would take forever, even with my nice connection.

Top Bottom