• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
True, but do you want to dedicate that much of your hard drive for an expansion? Demos you can play and delete as you like. The expansion will have to stay on the drive for a good long time.

With TV shows, Movies, demos, trailers, and more to download, the 20 GB drive doesn't seem big enough to have a full blown expansion on their indefinitely.
I've still got 9 GB free, so I'm fine with it. I keep some trailers on there, a couple of demos and my save games and that's all. I can see why others would prefer a retail SKU though.

Mau ®

Im glad to see they changed the artstyle. Ive been playing Oblivion for 30 hours and Im horribly sick of that gothic artstyle.

The new artstyle looks totally fresh and really beautiful. Props to bethesda.

Edit: And I really hope they make a retail edition of this although it seemed its going to a DLC...

pilonv1

I'm loving the new artstyle too, the new buildings and castles look great. Hopefully there will be plenty of new dungeon designs too.

GhaleonEB

pilonv1 said:
I'm loving the new artstyle too, the new buildings and castles look great. Hopefully there will be plenty of new dungeon designs too.
New designs, and lots of new (optional) dungeons. I'm hoping the amount of extra content - side quests, extra NPCs, dungeons - mirrors the parent game.

Clevinger

GhaleonEB said:
New designs, and lots of new (optional) dungeons. I'm hoping the amount of extra content - side quests, extra NPCs, dungeons - mirrors the parent game.

The designer in the video said it was something like 1/4th the amount of content in Oblivion.

GreekWolf

That looks incredible. Almost like a completely different game.

So, according to the vid, if you complete every quest and explore every dungeon, it'll take anywhere from 50-75 hours. For an expansion pack, that is ridiculous.

Loved the lumbering giant and the heavily armored crusaders. :D

Clevinger said:
The designer in the video said it was something like 1/4th the amount of content in Oblivion.

My guess is that he was talking about landscape not the content. Size of new land is going to be 1/4th the amount of Oblivion landscape.

GreekWolf said:
That looks incredible. Almost like a completely different game.

So, according to the vid, if you complete every quest and explore every dungeon, it'll take anywhere from 50-75 hours. For an expansion pack, that is ridiculous.

Loved the lumbering giant and the heavily armored crusaders. :D

This might be exaggerated claim by Bethesda, but even with 35-40 hours, it is bigger than many stand alone games.

And he also said that there will be lots of new ingredients which is good for the character which has Alchemy as a major skill.

GreekWolf

MirageDwarf said:
This might be exaggerated claim by Bethesda, but even with 35-40 hours, it is bigger than many stand alone games.
It'll probably depend on the individual. Before Oblivion came out, I remember several devs commenting that it would take around 75-100 hours to see and do everything. But I've already put in well over 250 hours and have as of yet to complete the Fighter's Guild questline or even start on the Dark Brotherhood. There are at least twenty dungeons I have yet to explore, so I'm sure there are still several more hours ahead for my character.

GhaleonEB

MirageDwarf said:
My guess is that he was talking about landscape not the content. Size of new land is going to be 1/4th the amount of Oblivion landscape.

And he also said that there will be lots of new ingredients which is good for the character which has Alchemy as a major skill.
I'm dubious of their claims about length, based on my experience with Knights of the Nine. Todd H. said it was a 10-20 hour questline, and it took me ~8 hours to complete - and I did the Pilgramage on foot. If the total content is indeed 1/4 Oblivion, then that's a different story. But you can measure that lots of ways - total area, number of quests, content (towns, NPCs, dungeons, enemies, weapons, etc.) estimated quest playtime, etc. I wasn't clear how that was measured in the video.
GreekWolf said:
It'll probably depend on the individual. Before Oblivion came out, I remember several devs commenting that it would take around 75-100 hours to see and do everything. But I've already put in well over 250 hours and have as of yet to complete the Fighter's Guild questline or even start on the Dark Brotherhood. There are at least twenty dungeons I have yet to explore, so I'm sure there are still several more hours ahead for my character.
Exactly. I did two characters and put 300 hours into them, but I never finished the Daedric shrine quests, closed all the Oblivion gates or wrapped up all the side-quests. If it really is 1/4 the total of Oblivion, that's a big expansion, based on how I play.

GreekWolf said:

When I see my game progress, this is true for me also. :) I was talking about average.

And if you are playing PC version, it is like never ending game. So many mods to play with.

GhaleonEB said:
Exactly. I did two characters and put 300 hours into them, but I never finished the Daedric shrine quests, closed all the Oblivion gates or wrapped up all the side-quests. If it really is 1/4 the total of Oblivion, that's a big expansion, based on how I play.

And definitely not the last one... :)

This game's been most fun and rewarding out of all the games I bought last year.

GhaleonEB said:
I've still got 9 GB free, so I'm fine with it. I keep some trailers on there, a couple of demos and my save games and that's all. I can see why others would prefer a retail SKU though.

I've got 12 GB or so myself. I suppose it's possible that it could be put on Live. Just figured it was too big to distribute that way. I guess I was assuming it would be distributed like Morrowind and the Game of the Year edition that had both expansions on the disc.

Doesn't matter though. No matter how it's distributed, it looks amazing, and you know I'll be in. Will we get this thread to 20k when this is released? :D

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
If not it probably will when the PS3 version is released.

Yeah, true. I'm expecting the PS3 version will be pretty popular as well, and there may be a lot of Playstation owners who have never experienced the Elder Scrolls before.

Speaking of numbers and this thread, I was curious and clicked to see what the post makeup of this thread was. Do you realize that you've got exactly 1000 posts here Kung Fu? That's alot of Oblivion love. :p

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Speaking of numbers and this thread, I was curious and clicked to see what the post makeup of this thread was. Do you realize that you've got exactly 1000 posts here Kung Fu? That's alot of Oblivion love. :p

:lol

Wow! Didn't even realize I was closing in on 1000. Back when the thread was in full swing I knew I was getting up there, but haven't payed much attention since we broke the 10k barrier.

That is a lot of post though. You're right! But I do love this game! :D

Just watched the video.

I came.

Too bad it will never look that good on my god awful PC. I could have bought the game for 360, but I'm just such a sucker for mods.

yes, it will also act like a DLC. That is - you can download it directly from Xbox Live into your existing game.

Thanks for all the great comments guys. Hope you like it!

t

Awesome. Will there be a retail version for the 360 too? My friend is dying to get this but he hasnt access to broadband for live. Keep up the good work.

todd@bethesda said:
yes, it will also act like a DLC. That is - you can download it directly from Xbox Live into your existing game.

t

Well, I guess that answers that. :lol :lol

Thanks Todd! How about giving a copy away free to everyone who has posted 1000+ posts in this thread! :D

GhaleonEB

todd@bethesda said:

t
Yay! Part of the reason I like DLC is that I'm lazy - I can just come home and start up the download. I'll get a new character ready a week or so before it comes out. :D

GhaleonEB

clashfan said:
I have Oblivion on the PC but it runs pretty choppy. How does Oblivion run on the 360?
Pretty smooth. I'd say a solid 30 fps ~95% of the time. Occasional drops for loading in new sections for the most part.

clashfan said:
I have Oblivion on the PC but it runs pretty choppy. How does Oblivion run on the 360?

Good except that those annoying loading screens come up almost every single ****ing time you open the door. PC is in good position since there is at least an option of upgrading your hardware and minimize loading time. It is also little bit frustrating to navigate through the journal when you have so many items.

I have one question for Xbox 360 version if anyone can answer it: Does this support keyboard? If I connect keyboard, can I get console to enter command like PC version?

raYne

MirageDwarf said:
I have one question for Xbox 360 version if anyone can answer it: Does this support keyboard? If I connect keyboard, can I get console to enter command like PC version?
No.

Phthisis

Okay, so I'm totally new to this whole "MMORPG without the O" thing, and I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before. But I want Oblivion very much badly after reading about it and hearing about it and the GOTY and etc.

So, my question for you all: is Oblivion a good buy for me?

GhaleonEB

Phthisis said:
Okay, so I'm totally new to this whole "MMORPG without the O" thing, and I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before. But I want Oblivion very much badly after reading about it and hearing about it and the GOTY and etc.

It was my first ES game. It's my GOTY. I recommend this game for anyone aged 6-notdeadyet.

Clevinger

Phthisis said:

If you like MMORPG's, you'd probably love Oblivion. A sprawling world with tons and tons to do, except the quality of some things (writing, story) kind of suffer because there's so much for the devs to put in the game, the creative force in some areas seems spread thin. But if you tolerated the quality of content in a MMORPG, Oblivion will be heaven to you.

Phthisis

Excellent :)

Will I be missing out on over-arching story details from previous ES games? I know my friend bought the PC version and it came with some cool book about the history of Tamriel and whatnot. Would any of that information be necessary?

Clevinger

Phthisis said:

Will I be missing out on over-arching story details from previous ES games? I know my friend bought the PC version and it came with some cool book about the history of Tamriel and whatnot. Would any of that information be necessary?

No, you wouldn't be missing much. If you played the earlier games you'd know more lore, and if that's your thing you might want to read some of that book for added enjoyment, but you wouldn't feel like you had no idea what was going on. Each games story is pretty independent to the other games' in the series. They're all set in different provinces/countries. Also, you can go to a library in the game and read some books on the history of the world if you'd like.

Lots and lots of lore from in-game books.

Phthisis

Clevinger said:
Also, you can go to a library in the game and read some books on the history of the world if you'd like.

Lots and lots of lore from in-game books.

Now that is a nice touch. Alright, you've sold me. I'm gonna go pick this up today. Can't wait :D

Zensetsu

Phthisis said:

Not necessary, but interesting. :)

You can read about a lot of the lore from the previous TES games here if you want, although the information is a little overwhelming....You could probably use it to look up something if you were confused.

http://til.gamingsource.net/pge/

Phthisis said:

This has everything you need to know for Oblivion: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion.

First time players: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:First_Time_Players

About leveling: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Leveling

My biggest advice for first time players is to not give up. It's very easy to get overwhelmed with so much going on, and so much to do and see. So much freedom. Just keep plugging away, and things will start to fall into place.

Clevinger

BenjaminBirdie said:
Stupid Question:
How does an expansion work? Does it install on my hard drive? Do I switch disks? What's the dillz?

If you're talking about on a PC, then you need the original game installed, then you install the expansion and use the expansion cd/dvd to play it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
but shivering isles seems quite huge for it to be feasible dlc. i'm sure the price would be benefited a great deal, as opposed to buying a new disc for 39.99 or 29.99, but the way they talk about this in that video makes me feel like they want to sell this as a separate package.

i just hope they've optimized the 360 game to handle the framerate, texture loading, load times, etc. better than oblivion.

Phthisis

Picked up Oblivion tonight and played it for a couple hours before bed.

Upon exiting the sewers into the world proper, I got really excited. There were beautiful green hills and streams and rivers as far as I could see, with some ruins across the way. It was beautiful. Then it started to rain during the night (which is coincidentally the same weather outside my window right now), and I found a door to a cave and I went in and poked around the dark passages.

I've wanted an open-ended game with a massive world to explore for a long time, now, something set with a fantasy theme and just the open road. I think this will keep me quite busy for the next few months. I can't wait to really just go and explore for hours.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Shivering Isles expansion officially announced. New screenshots:

si_03B.jpg

si_02B.jpg

si_01B.jpg

Top Bottom