• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

SteveMeister said:
si_03B.jpg

Cool new environment...

Waiting for this expansion is killing me.... :)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Oh man! Frothing demand rising to new heights.... must control self....

For those that haven't gotten it, the latest Official Xbox Magazine has a nice cover story feature on the Shivering Isles.

Lonesome_Raod said:
As always Bethesda deliver. Now please let Morrowind set the trend for all Elder Scrolls game and have at least 2 expansions. Stoked for this.

Why stop at two? Bethesda takes ages to create each Elder Scrolls game. And I don't want to wait 3-4 yrs for the next one. So we need more than two expansions.

MMaRsu

MirageDwarf said:
Why stop at two? Bethesda takes ages to create each Elder Scrolls game. And I don't want to wait 3-4 yrs for the next one. So we need more than two expansions.

Well they could make a whole new story with this engine..

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
since this is going to be downloadable for 360, is there a chance that it could improve the performance of the original? like, could they tweak the code and make things smoother throughout the entire package?

GhaleonEB

mattiewheels said:
since this is going to be downloadable for 360, is there a chance that it could improve the performance of the original? like, could they tweak the code and make things smoother throughout the entire package?
The first patch made some improvements to loading while outdoors, and some of the streaming LOD popping. I'm sure it could be optimised further, but I suspect Bethesda is focusing on other things.

Hey Steve - is there much optional content in the expansion? Meaning, can I ignore the quest for a while and go find some random caves/ruins to raid, or is it more like the Knights of the Nine - a straight questline?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
GhaleonEB said:
Hey Steve - is there much optional content in the expansion? Meaning, can I ignore the quest for a while and go find some random caves/ruins to raid, or is it more like the Knights of the Nine - a straight questline?

To be honest I don't know a whole lot about SI -- like I said, I've been 100% on Fallout since Oblivion shipped. I'm looking forward to playing it when it's released, though :) I do know that it's pretty damned big.

SteveMeister said:
To be honest I don't know a whole lot about SI -- like I said, I've been 100% on Fallout since Oblivion shipped. I'm looking forward to playing it when it's released, though :) I do know that it's pretty damned big.

Get back to work on Fallout Mister! We'd like to see something on that game too. Please! Can you at least tell us if Fallout will be an open ended game in the vain of the Elder Scrolls? That would have me drooling!

Shivering Isles is going to be bad ass. DLC I'm in for. Any anyone who's been in this thread for very long can tell you what that means! :D

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Shivering Isles is going to be bad ass. DLC I'm in for. Any anyone who's been in this thread for very long can tell you what that means! :D
20000 posts under the sea, matey.

Just watched Pirates of the Carribian.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Get back to work on Fallout Mister! We'd like to see something on that game too. Please! Can you at least tell us if Fallout will be an open ended game in the vain of the Elder Scrolls? That would have me drooling!

I think if Fallout isn't open ended there's going to be some serious nerd rioting.

sprocket said:
I wonder of they will up the engine for the 360 game to new one used in the pc and ps3 versions.

There is no new one for PS3, let alone the PC.

GhaleonEB said:
20000 posts under the sea, matey.

Just watched Pirates of the Carribian.

Hell, there are four or five us in this thread that will carry it to 20k! ;) Besides, those PS3 players are going to need some help when they finally get to play, and I'm console agnostic. ;)

And we'll have a whole new group of people to debate the whole "Creature Levelling" issue with again.

*Begins beating dead horse*

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Hell, there are four or five us in this thread that will carry it to 20k! ;) Besides, those PS3 players are going to need some help when they finally get to play, and I'm console agnostic. ;)

And we'll have a whole new group of people to debate the whole "Creature Levelling" issue with again.

*Begins beating dead horse*

Not to mention all the guys like me who haven't finished anything in the game (Ok, I'm Arena Champ) and occasionally come back for a few quests now and again, or get rehooked randomly for a few weeks here and there.

GreekWolf

SteveMeister said:
That's fantastic. It's like an update to Morrowind, using the Oblivion engine.

Really excited about this expansion pack. Steve, you keep cranking em out and I'll continue to put money in your pocket.

nubbe

So... Will you be able to play with your current character on the 360?
A DLC or a new disc with Shivering Isles and Oblivion on the same disc... Like Morrowind:GOTY edition?

GreekWolf

Just noticed something. In that second pic, could we be getting our first glimpse at a
golden saint?

I seem to remember a book from Morrowind that suggested they were Daedra servants under Sheogorath. Or maybe it was Azura.

Foil

I'd love to see an Oblivion GOTY edition for the 360.

Pack in the original game, all the dlc, Knights of the Nine, and Shivering Isles. Then maybe fix up a few technical things. I'd buy it.

Mau ®

Congrats to Bethesda and devs on the 3 million mark! I wonder how much will it be once it hits GH status.

Sucks that it'll be DLC though...

GhaleonEB

Not sure how I missed this paragraph of the announcement PR, but some more information on the new content:

The Shivering Isles features a bizarre landscape split between the two sides – Mania and Dementia –filled with vast, twisting dungeons mirroring the roots of the trees they are buried within. You’ll encounter more than a dozen new creatures including hideous insects, Flesh Atronachs, skeletal Shambles, amphibious Grummites. Throughout your adventure, you will discover all new items, ingredients, spells, and more, and have the talented craftsmen of Crucible and Bliss forge new armor and weapons just for you.

Good stuff. :D

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Something kinda bothers me about using my original character. He has two skills that are at 100... and almost all the other primaries in their early 90s. Will the expansion allow characters to go above 100? What happens in the original game when all the primaries are at 100?

Chichikov

FlyinJ said:
Something kinda bothers me about using my original character. He has two skills that are at 100... and almost all the other primaries in their early 90s. Will the expansion allow characters to go above 100? What happens in the original game when all the primaries are at 100?
Nothing happens, you just cannot level anymore.

SteveMeister said:

This looks awesome. I recently started over in Oblivion after a horrible glitch which makes it impossible to open gates in ruins. A character I had put 125 hours into :(. Anyway, this is going to be sweet. I just hope a patch comes with it that fixes some of the glitches still present in Oblivion.

GhaleonEB

A good interview with Bethesda PR guy about Shivering Isles. Among the information is this one, just for panajev:

There is no specific date in spring for the launch of Shivering Isles, although Hines reveals that it’s important to Bethesda to have all territories’ versions ready for simultaneous release. “We feel that it’s much easier when it’s in stores or available to download no matter where you are,” he says. “That’s our goal.”
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4562&Itemid=2

regs

I finally beat the game tonight. Sort of sad to admit it was the first time beating it though. I don't get to play too many games anymore, mostly because of time. I picked up the game after 4 months, and played through a few hours and beat the main quest.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Chichikov said:
Nothing happens, you just cannot level anymore.

So at that point it just becomes a static world, where all the monsters stay the same difficulty and your skills stay the same? Sounds pretty lame.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
GhaleonEB said:
A good interview with Bethesda PR guy about Shivering Isles. Among the information is this one, just for panajev:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4562&Itemid=2

I'll believe it when it is on the Marketplace for download, but probably by that time the PLAYSTATION 3 version should be out and I will have to decide where to download the expansion pack on.

They still have one DLC to release on the Italian Xbox LIVE Marketplace IIRC (it should be Mehrunes' Razor or whichever it is spelled). The other ones arrived even though it took AGES!

The biggest problem keeping me away from Oblivion currently is the localization of the Italian version... really not done well at all :(.

Chichikov

FlyinJ said:
So at that point it just becomes a static world, where all the monsters stay the same difficulty and your skills stay the same? Sounds pretty lame.
You can still increase your secondary skills.
And the monsters stop changing (at least in a meaningful way) way before you hit that mark.

And while I certainly have issues with the leveling system in Oblivion, this part is completely understandable.
RPGs tend to have level cap, and when you hit it, well, you’re done.

I found this kind of weird, from the offical ES forums regarding the lack of a 360 retail disc:

Pete Hines said:
If we could, we would. Believe me. We don't have the ability to do it...it's a console issue. We're hopeful Microsoft can sort out the issue and allow us to release the expansion on a disc, but we have no ability to change this other than to continue to ask.

We covered this same ground with Knights and the DLC. Same thing issue prevented us from doing a disc for that at retail. Being at retail is always better than not being at retail.

About having DLC on the OXM discs:

Pete Hines said:
Because they were giving something away for free and Shivering Isles is not free.

Trust me, we brought that up to them as well.

What is this "console issue"? Sounds like MS isn't allowing them to do it for some reason, which is pretty shitty if you don't have broadband.

GhaleonEB

Confidence Man said:
I found this kind of weird, from the offical ES forums regarding the lack of a 360 retail disc:

About having DLC on the OXM discs:

What is this "console issue"? Sounds like MS isn't allowing them to do it for some reason, which is pretty shitty if you don't have broadband.
That's bizzare, especially considering Microsoft allowed an expansion last gen, the Halo 2 Map Pack, to install to the HDD off of the disc. I can't imagine it's a technical issue; sounds like they changed the rules this time around, which doesn't make any sense. Oblivion sold a LOT of copies and not everyone is hooked up to Live. This decision just shafts the developer, and the users.

Xenon

I have some questions on the difficulty slider.

1. Does increasing difficulty prevent you from getting achievments?

2. What are you guys playing at? If not default, have you remained at a constant level or have adusted as you played? Why?

I am trying again to make a new character and want to stick to a single setting. I have no plans on doing the main quest so Oblivion gates will be a non-factor.

Top Bottom