• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Foil

Confidence Man said:
What is this "console issue"? Sounds like MS isn't allowing them to do it for some reason, which is pretty shitty if you don't have broadband.

Sounds like they want to just release the expansion on a disc by itself, and I can see why MS is blocking it. Now if they repackage the original game, all the Live content and expansions, plus do some technical upgrades, MS would allow it to retail as the GOTY edition. The other way, stores could get flooded with small releases like NotN, which isn't worth the retail space it'd take up.

That'd be my guess anyway.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
GhaleonEB said:
That's bizzare, especially considering Microsoft allowed an expansion last gen, the Halo 2 Map Pack, to install to the HDD off of the disc. I can't imagine it's a technical issue; sounds like they changed the rules this time around, which doesn't make any sense. Oblivion sold a LOT of copies and not everyone is hooked up to Live. This decision just shafts the developer, and the users.

Halo doesn't follow the rules.

More proof of that will arise when H3's Matchmaking is shown and allows for teams to play in ranked games. =P

raYne

Xenon said:
1. Does increasing difficulty prevent you from getting achievments?
Nope. Doesn't matter.

2. What are you guys playing at? If not default, have you remained at a constant level or have adusted as you played? Why?
Can't speak for any of the recent players, but us old timers dropped it a couple clicks to the left. As for "why?", it seemed to balance out the game more. Especially in the earlier sections when you don't have access to many.. well.. anything really.

Feel free to put it back in default (or harder) after you get more experience/abilities.

Xenon

raYne said:
Nope. Doesn't matter..

Cool, thanks

raYne said:
Can't speak for any of the recent players, but us old timers dropped it a couple clicks to the left. As for "why?", it seemed to balance out the game more. Especially in the earlier sections when you don't have access to many.. well.. anything really.

Feel free to put it back in default (or harder) after you get more experience/abilities.

I'm looking to stretch out the best part of the game for me, building up my character. I already have some self imposed restrictions to help deal with some issues I have with the leveling system. I just wanted to get an idea on how the difficulty slider plays out later in the game at higher levels.

Chichikov

Xenon said:
I just wanted to get an idea on how the difficulty slider plays out later in the game at higher levels.
The difficulty ramps up and peaks around the mid-teen levels.
It changes based on your build, and some characters can have serious issues around that time (mostly in the main quest though, which you don’t plan to follow).
Once you get into the 20s the game will get easier and easier (again, YMMV based on your build) and later on you can’t really expect anything to give you too much problem on default difficulty.

GhaleonEB

SnakeXs said:

More proof of that will arise when H3's Matchmaking is shown and allows for teams to play in ranked games. =P
There's no rule about that, Epic was pionting the finger. Shadowrun (among others) will allow that. But it may well be the case that Halo didn't have to follow the rules; Halo 2 sold 8m copies so MS probably was okay bending them. Heck, it was probably their idea. :lol

Snookie

I was looking at Borders and noticed that the Xbox magazine with the demo disc said it had 2 free Oblivion quests with it. Anyone know what those quests are?

Snookie said:
I was looking at Borders and noticed that the Xbox magazine with the demo disc said it had 2 free Oblivion quests with it. Anyone know what those quests are?

Unless you are looking for magazine plus download, buying these from Xbox live marketplace would be cheaper.

ckohler

Chichikov said:
The difficulty ramps up and peaks around the mid-teen levels.
It changes based on your build, and some characters can have serious issues around that time (mostly in the main quest though, which you don’t plan to follow).
Once you get into the 20s the game will get easier and easier (again, YMMV based on your build) and later on you can’t really expect anything to give you too much problem on default difficulty.

This is totally true. I got really frustrated around level 12 and kept getting my ass handed to me so much so I stopped playing. Six months later I went back and started again, bought some more powerful weapons, learned some better spells and I got a lot better. Now I'm level 27 and I'm a total bad ass. I can kill almost any creature in the game with a one-two spell combo (major magic user).

My buddy on the other hand played his game totally as a thief. He's the same level as me but he's can't fight worth a shit and is getting frustrated like hell. I'm not sure how to help him. All but is theiving skills are pretty low. No magic, no real blunt skills. But he can sneak up to anybody in the game and stand right in front of them an not be seen which is kinda funny.

So, how high can your overall level get? Will the monsters get any stronger now that I'm around level 30?

GhaleonEB

ckohler said:
My buddy on the other hand played his game totally as a thief. He's the same level as me but he's can't fight worth a shit and is getting frustrated like hell. I'm not sure how to help him. All but is theiving skills are pretty low. No magic, no real blunt skills. But he can sneak up to anybody in the game and stand right in front of them an not be seen which is kinda funny.

So, how high can your overall level get? Will the monsters get any stronger now that I'm around level 30?
I've gotten to the mid 30's.

And tell your friend that even thieves need to fight. Some nice complimentary skills for a thief are Alchemy and Conjuration. Alchemy lets you make some killer poisons - most of my enemies died before I did much if any damage to them. Conjuration gets you some help when you are overwhelmed; better yet a distraction so you can run away. :p

Playing a thief was the most fun I had in the game, but he was balanced with alchemy, alteration, mysticism and conjuration for good measure. And a killer archer.

Snookie

MirageDwarf said:
Unless you are looking for magazine plus download, buying these from Xbox live marketplace would be cheaper.

Thats what i'm thinking. The pirate ship would be cool to do since I'm a thief and that quest seems to be right up my characters alley. Could care less about the wizards one.

VALIS

I just started playing this (360 version) again for the first time since it came out and I wanted to do a gold glitch so I don't have to waste endless time with the boring task of hoarding loot and then selling it, but I see on GameFAQs that supposedly both of the known gold glitches don't work anymore thanks to patches. Say it ain't so!

Are there any gold glitches that work currently on the 360 version? And if not, what's my quickest path to riches? I hate item hoarding.

GhaleonEB

VALIS said:
I just started playing this (360 version) again for the first time since it came out and I wanted to do a gold glitch so I don't have to waste endless time with the boring task of hoarding loot and then selling it, but I see on GameFAQs that supposedly both of the known gold glitches don't work anymore thanks to patches. Say it ain't so!

Are there any gold glitches that work currently on the 360 version? And if not, what's my quickest path to riches? I hate item hoarding.
Apparantly they are indeed all fixed. The fastest way that I know of is to raid a few Aleid ruins and sell the Varla stones, if you don't plan to use them later. Other than that, do a few of the side-quests, which reward with gold. I usually just do a few random dungeons, and usually find a couple of good enchanted items worth a lot in the process.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
SnakeXs said:

Eh, Bungie probably has quite a bit more leeway but I don't think MS breaks the rules for them. FWIW, the xbox live team says that no team play is a developer problem, while the developers say xbox live won't let them do it, so I think that's more a miscommunication than anything.

But back to the original point - for the original xbox everyone was guaranteed to have a HDD. For the 360 that's not the case, and I don't think MS wanted additional confusion by putting an expansion pack on the shelves that could possibly confuse someone into purchasing a game they couldn't play. If you log onto xbl with only a memory card it's pretty clear what you can and cannot get, but that's not really the case when you pick up a retail box at the store. I can see why MS didn't allow it.

BitchTits

VALIS said:

Yeah they fixed them. Unless anyone knows of any other way, I think the best way to make cash is to sell cloned items since cloning still works for most items. (I did notice the Apotheosis staff cannot be cloned now, but I'm sure I cloned it with my last character because I had two of them, which I cannot do now).

VALIS said:

Fight in Arena in Imperial City. If you want to finish these fights quick, set difficulty level to the lowest.

GhaleonEB said:
There's no rule about that, Epic was pionting the finger. Shadowrun (among others) will allow that. But it may well be the case that Halo didn't have to follow the rules; Halo 2 sold 8m copies so MS probably was okay bending them. Heck, it was probably their idea. :lol

I wonder if the reason Epic's ranked team play would've been "against the rules" is because Gears doesn't use the randomized matchmaking system. Halo/Saints Row all seemed to be designed from the ground up to have the more random matchmaking included with preset playlists, so ranked teams isn't seen as "cheating".

Gears simply uses a traditional PC-style server list, therefore ranked teams isn't desired since people could just host games with settings that cater to their own needs and it isn't as "fair". And the Halo/Saints Row random matchmaking may not be a trivial thing to implement, so by the time they realized this, it was too late to make any drastic changes. Although it was a 1st party bankrolled game, Epic obviously had more of a single-player/co-op focus, and this was their first major console-only game, so I could see how that happened.

Or something. Anyhoo, how did this get in an Oblivion thread? lol

edit: to be more on topic...I had to lower the difficulty to about halfway (or slightly below) when I first played. My 360 game defaults was set to "hard difficulty" (slider closer to the right) and when I did this, the rats in the first area would constantly murder me.

VALIS said:

If your character is sifficient level, you won't have to worry about gold. The item drops get much better, so you start rolling in the stuff after awhile.

Phthisis

So is there any reason I should cure Vampire status? I mean, it gives me some pretty handy abilities and whatnot, plus I kind of like the idea of being a partially undead Knight (a Knosferatu, if you will :D ).

Will I become debilitatingly gimped if I stay a Vampire too long or something?

GhaleonEB

Phthisis said:
So is there any reason I should cure Vampire status? I mean, it gives me some pretty handy abilities and whatnot, plus I kind of like the idea of being a partially undead Knight (a Knosferatu, if you will :D ).

Will I become debilitatingly gimped if I stay a Vampire too long or something?
There are some rules that can limit how you play. Not sure if you've discovered them or not, but the big one for me was sun damage. If you go long enough without feeding, then you take damage when outdoors. I found it a pain in the neck (har har). Some others have said they liked it as well.

I don't think staying a vampire will impact your other abilities much, though.

Phthisis

GhaleonEB said:
There are some rules that can limit how you play. Not sure if you've discovered them or not, but the big one for me was sun damage. If you go long enough without feeding, then you take damage when outdoors. I found it a pain in the neck (har har). Some others have said they liked it as well.

I don't think staying a vampire will impact your other abilities much, though.

Wait, how do you feed on people? I've been a Vampire for like 3 days.

Phthisis said:
Wait, how do you feed on people? I've been a Vampire for like 3 days.

You can only feed on sleeping people. If you're in stealth mode and they are sleeping, you'll get a different icon from the talk icon.

Also: There's not any super big reason to de-vampirize, if the drawbacks don't bother you. I was constantly annoyed at being unable to quicktravel/rest outside during the day, and the constant need to feed to stay presentable annoyed me too. If you can live with that, stay a vampire by all means.

EDIT: Curse you Rayne.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Phthisis said:
So is there any reason I should cure Vampire status?
the abilities were nice, but it became really annoying to not be able to travel during the day. i suppose if you really want to roleplay a vampire it's a cool side thing, but i got rid of it as soon as i found out how (and getting rid of it is kind of a pain in the ass).

Jarmer

VALIS said:

if you complete the pirate ship side quest you can send them out regularly to get money for you. I can't remember how long they take to come back, but it's free money, and all you have to do is visit your captains rooms to claim it.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
VALIS said:

If you wanted to, you could enter the maintenance code to delete all of your patches for all of your games (which may or may not be that big of a deal for you depending on how many games you have and how often you play each of them), disconnect the system from Xbox Live, and then do the glitch.

To delete the patches...under the dashboard go to the system blade, then memory, then highlight the hard drive. Now press Y, X, X, LB, RB, X, X. You will see a message asking you if you want to perform maintenance on your system. Say yes.

Phthisis

I just want to add that this game is like a medievil fantasy wet dream for me. Just strap on a sword and head off into the countryside and let adventure find you. Great stuff.

I'm at like 40 hours played, and I feel like I've seen nothing in the world. I've only been to Skingrad and the capital. The scope and size is unbelievably amazing.

GhaleonEB

Phthisis said:
I just want to add that this game is like a medievil fantasy wet dream for me. Just strap on a sword and head off into the countryside and let adventure find you. Great stuff.

I'm at like 40 hours played, and I feel like I've seen nothing in the world. I've only been to Skingrad and the capital. The scope and size is unbelievably amazing.
I remember the first time I went to the capital (many hours into the game). I was overwhelmed by the size of it - all the people, the number of houses you could enter. Then I discovered that was about 1/7th of the city. I spent nearly an entire day exploring it alone. I play RPG's because I love the feeling of discovery, finding new places and stuff. Oblivion appears to have been made with that feeling in mind.

Phthisis

GhaleonEB said:
I play RPG's because I love the feeling of discovery, finding new places and stuff. Oblivion appears to have been made with that feeling in mind.

Most definitely. Tonight I was playing, and I was heading south along one of the roads out of the capital and I noticed a side path so I decided to follow it and see where it went. It ended up taking me through the woods into the mountains. I discovered some Ayelid ruins and a for on the banks of a river. I kept following the path and it led me way off into the wilderness. Just the views and the stuff I found while traveling it was such a great feeling. I was way out in the middle of nowhere and I stumbled upon that old fort and then climbing the hill I could look down and see it, and on the other side of the rise there was a lake. So damn cool.

Phthisis said:
Most definitely. Tonight I was playing, and I was heading south along one of the roads out of the capital and I noticed a side path so I decided to follow it and see where it went. It ended up taking me through the woods into the mountains. I discovered some Ayelid ruins and a for on the banks of a river. I kept following the path and it led me way off into the wilderness. Just the views and the stuff I found while traveling it was such a great feeling. I was way out in the middle of nowhere and I stumbled upon that old fort and then climbing the hill I could look down and see it, and on the other side of the rise there was a lake. So damn cool.
There are more than 300 places to explore. :)

Must admit I am totally sucked into this game. I remember when my buddy showed me Morrowind and I was completely disinterested in it. But after having a craving for swords and sorcery for several months, I took the plunge on Oblivion and love it. So much so that after playing for about 2 and a half weeks I bought Knights of Nine the other day as well. It's all good stuff. I'll be grabbing the expansion as well.

I've got a question about a quest in the Knights of the Nine. How the hell do you get the mace? I've prayed at the alter and get transported to the alternate world but I can't get across the abyss. Any help?

GreekWolf

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I've got a question about a quest in the Knights of the Nine. How the hell do you get the mace? I've prayed at the alter and get transported to the alternate world but I can't get across the abyss. Any help?
"These ____ were made for walking, and that's just what they'll do. One of these days these ____ are gonna walk all over you."

1Up has two pages preview of upcoming expansion Shivering Isles: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=1&cId=3156953

Few quotes:
You can get to working with the sorceress to create a new gatekeeper. From a gory collection of body parts including arms, heads, and hearts -- each with unique special traits -- you select the ingredients used to conjure up the new gatekeeper in a suitably spectacular summoning ritual.
Along with the serious stuff, you're bound to run across many situations along the way that lead to a chuckle or two by virtue of being in a world entirely constructed from a collection of neurosis. Because the expansion features fewer NPCs the team was able to go into more depth with each, fleshing out their personalities more completely, and with that giving them more to say. This figures directly into the quest design that aims to take advantage of these eccentric characters and their unique situations. Their warped psyches present plenty of convoluted, entertaining problems to solve, but it's not a direct attempt to be comedic. Bethesda feels that jokes never work well in games, so don't expect to see any sort of wink-at-the-camera stuff.
The new Dawnfang sword is also sure to be sought out by many. Get 12 kills with it and it becomes more powerful, leveling up in a sense, but the catch is that it resets every 12 hours with the cycle of the sun. But as the only item in the game that does anything like that, its appeal is undeniable.

There are four new screens also: http://www.1up.com/do/media?cId=3156209&sec=IMAGES

Day after day, I'm more excited about this. :)

Top Bottom