• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

MirageDwarf said:
I've heard people go up in level more than 100 by doing trick of going in the jail.

I bought PC version with Knights of Nine expansion last week. I've got 360 version too. Graphics quality is not as good as Xbox 360 but I'm loving it for three things: Very short loading time as compared to 360, better inventory management, and countless mods. When you have lots of items in your inventory, it becomes really frustrating on 360 version. I'm running it on 7600GT with 256MB.

See how cool your character can be with mods:

coolgz0.jpg

It's NOT my character. I found it on the internet.
How do you get your menu to be that size?

bengraven

MirageDwarf said:
coolgz0.jpg

I'm not trolling, but after Oblivion and Morrowind's character creation process, I really wish Bethesda could get their character models up to this kind of par. I don't see it ever happening, though.

JCBossman

Banned
I think I see what you guys are doing to get those extreme levels, you pick a magic character like a High-elf, than pick main stats that are NOT elf bonuses, like armoror or acrobatics, that way those stats start real low allowing you to reach higher levels, am I right? Also I guess the jail thing is to get do a crime get thrown in jail than save the game a reload until you get your main stats to fall enough to allow you to gain levels, as you rebuild them, but here's the question if say you are level 10, and a main stat is say 41, you go to jail and it drops to 38, do you LOSE a level or do you stay at level 10?

hobbitx

MirageDwarf said:
See how cool your character can be with mods:

coolgz0.jpg

Damn that is cool, I want to see what kind of redguard mods they have. I wanted a fro, but the option they have were kinda crappy looking. It sucks you can't play with the hair like you can all the other features.

Ok...I have had Oblivion for a while now and recently my computer had a problem with memory and I lost a gig stick. I am now running Oblivion at 1 gig of memory. I would like to list out my setup and then follow with a question for the experts of this forum.

1. AMD 64 X2 4200
2. Radeon 1800XL Graphics
3. 1 Gig Corsair memory
4. 200 Gig Harddrive

Now, I would like to put all settings of Oblivion up to max. Even with 2 gig of memory, I had to set things like draw distance back some so it would run properly. But my actual question is considering my current setup how much more memory would I need to run Oblivion flawlessly with everything set to max. Also, I have heard of DDR2 memory. Would getting DDR2 be better than standard DDR. Money is not really an issue but I do want Oblivion to run perfectly. Any help considering my current system would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

marcusarelius said:
Ok...I have had Oblivion for a while now and recently my computer had a problem with memory and I lost a gig stick. I am now running Oblivion at 1 gig of memory. I would like to list out my setup and then follow with a question for the experts of this forum.

1. AMD 64 X2 4200
2. Radeon 1800XL Graphics
3. 1 Gig Corsair memory
4. 200 Gig Harddrive

Now, I would like to put all settings of Oblivion up to max. Even with 2 gig of memory, I had to set things like draw distance back some so it would run properly. But my actual question is considering my current setup how much more memory would I need to run Oblivion flawlessly with everything set to max. Also, I have heard of DDR2 memory. Would getting DDR2 be better than standard DDR. Money is not really an issue but I do want Oblivion to run perfectly. Any help considering my current system would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!
You should consider upgrading your graphics card.

I think when I get Shivering Isles, I'm going to start a new character that's sort of the exact opposite of my current character. A female something or other that focuses a lot on non-destruction magic, and essentially never uses weapons or stealth. Just magic.

marcusarelius said:
Really? Man, I thought that card was good enough...well, what exactly should I upgrade to then?
If you don't mind spending some money, go for higher end cards like latest one, 8800 series from Nvidia. It supports DirectX 10 too. If you are planning to use Vista then think before you buy Nvidia. They have some issues with Vista.

Reviews:
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI4MSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2926

They have tested it with Oblivion too. It will give you good idea about how different cards stand against each other for Oblivion.

If I were you, I wouldn't spend money on upgrading at this time. Wait for 1 or 2 revisions for new graphics cards from Nvidia and ATI with support for DirectX 10 and Vista.

Any high end card in current generation should be fine. Like X1900 & up series or 7900 & up series.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Does this game have some of the best music or what?

I think it's just so fabulous. It's not my favorite of last year (FFXII), but it's so close. So amazing.

Soule is great and I love how his musical style has evolved since Elder Scrolls III.

GhaleonEB

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Does this game have some of the best music or what?

I think it's just so fabulous. It's not my favorite of last year (FFXII), but it's so close. So amazing.

Soule is great and I love how his musical style has evolved since Elder Scrolls III.
The music really is wonderful. There are several tracks that play in the wilderness which are simply beautiful. I'd buy the soundtrack if they put one out.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Well with all of the Shivering Isles buzz, I decided to finally download Knights of the Nine to get back into Oblivion since I completed just about everything a few montsh ago. I just started it, and so far it is kind of boring that they make you visit all of those shrines to begin the quest. How long did it take most of you to finish it?

MaddenNFL64

Had all the shrines visited before the DL was out, so I visited one, and zoom
i'm above the imperial city, like 10 miles above it talking to Pelinal Whitestrake.
. From there awesome dungeons & great story (with new books for backstory... lore junkies will get a kick out of it). It takes about 5-8 hours I think.

Phthisis

Just wanna say I'm at 50 hours now, and this game just does not STOP making me love it. Every time I turn it on, something cool and new happens. I visited Chorrol for the first time tonight. Gonna spend an hour or two tomorrow talking to everyone and whatnot. Love it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Just 18 more posts!

PS: I tried another DLC for Oblivion (wasn't a free one released recently or something?) and I enjoyed it.

purgeface said:
Well with all of the Shivering Isles buzz, I decided to finally download Knights of the Nine to get back into Oblivion since I completed just about everything a few montsh ago. I just started it, and so far it is kind of boring that they make you visit all of those shrines to begin the quest. How long did it take most of you to finish it?

That part is boring and a little lame since the shrines don't appear on your normal map. Why they bother to list some bandit sleeping in a tent as a map site but not a shrine is beyond me.

It took me a couple tries before I finished that task, mainly because I got bored. However after you finish the shrine visits, the questline really picks up. In the end it was probably my favorite in the game, right up there with the Dark Brotherhood stuff.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
That part is boring and a little lame since the shrines don't appear on your normal map. Why they bother to list some bandit sleeping in a tent as a map site but not a shrine is beyond me.

It's funny, because some have accused the game of holding your hand too much, with quest markers on the compass & all, but this quest didn't have quest markers and so people complain about that ;)

What I did was place my own map marker on the map as close to where they are marked out for you on the "paper" map you're given, then I could follow the blue quest arrow and at least get within the vicinity.

SteveMeister said:
It's funny, because some have accused the game of holding your hand too much, with quest markers on the compass & all, but this quest didn't have quest markers and so people complain about that ;)

Well it's just a little weird how the game will give you a map marker for something seemingly insignifigant like a bandit camp but leave out a shrine even after you find it. I'm not asking for more arrows telling me exactly where to go, I'd just like my map to make a notation when I found it.

What I did was place my own map marker on the map as close to where they are marked out for you on the "paper" map you're given, then I could follow the blue quest arrow and at least get within the vicinity.

That's how I did it too.

shantyman said:
Remember the Re4 thread? PLEASE GOD MAKE IT STOP.

What happened with the RE4 thread? Besides that it was locked because it was bumped unnecessarily to try to prevent this one from passing it in posts?

Oblivion still has content being released for it, and that continues to spur discussion. If the PS3 players join this thread, we could be on our way to 20k posts! :D

MaddenNFL64

Big Nate said:
I agree with a lot of your points, however I have ended up liking Oblivion more than MW, if only a little. I will say in response to your point quoted above, what I did was just not use fast travel for most of my first 50 hours or so in the game. The only time I did it was when I had to backtrack immediately for a quest (i.e. - walk to town A, go to cave B, then back to A). Now, however, I use it all the time because I've uncovered most all points on the map.

I am very nostalgic for Morrowind, but the few times I've tried to play it in recent months the sheer overwhelming size of the game has caused me to give up, usually after reach Balmora. Also the melee mechanics are just terrible compared to Oblivion, so that too has caused me to quit. I really, really need to try to get back into MW, cause I know there's a lot I didn't do.

Maybe some day...

Man, I love OB, but Morrowind had so much that I miss.

I miss the landscape. We went from alien & awesome to boring ass forests & fields from ye olden days. What happened to the Jungle that surrounded the niben? ****ing amazing how they retconned that out, and turned the place into generic land.

I miss the enchanting. You could add cast on use to parchment & make your own scrolls. Not powerful ones, but you could. Enchant weapons, armor, clothes, belts, rings, amulets with as many spells as it can hold, not just one.

I miss a story that wasn't so stupidly simple as the main quest in OB. Morrowind had a nice political backdrop, and huge secrets that could destroy a peoples way of life & religion. Empire vs. Tribunal. Tribunal vs. King Helseth. Tribunal vs. a Daedra Lord & her prophecy. Plus the Dagoth house as everyones enemy, with their big Akulakhan super god waiting to be let loose. Best shit ever. Also, the Theives & Fighters guild storylines cross-sected eachother, allowing you to backstab one, or the other, or save both. Many ways it could end, like a good open ended RPG should.

Oblivion plays better, but thats expected. The stuff that makes it a ES game don't compete with Morrowind IMO.

When your attributes are in red, how do you find out what's the reason? I've 3 attributes showing in red but I don't know what caused it. I've gone up 3 levels since those red attributes showed up.

So far, I had caught only 2 diseases, and I cured it immediately. How do I bring my attributes in normal state? I also tried drinking 20-30 "Cure Disease" potions. Didn't work. Any suggestions?

GhaleonEB

SteveMeister said:
That was one of my favorite touches on the questline. That, and the riddles I had to solve, sans hints. I even did the entire pilgramage on foot, as they would be done.

GhaleonEB

MirageDwarf said:
When your attributes are in red, how do you find out what's the reason? I've 3 attributes showing in red but I don't know what caused it. I've gone up 3 levels since those red attributes showed up.

So far, I had caught only 2 diseases, and I cured it immediately. How do I bring my attributes in normal state? I also tried drinking 20-30 "Cure Disease" potions. Didn't work. Any suggestions?
On your spells page, scoll over to the far right tab. It will display your positive and negative attributes and the reason for them.

MirageDwarf said:

Have you prayed at an alter in one of the temples? May help too.

GhaleonEB said:
On your spells page, scoll over to the far right tab. It will display your positive and negative attributes and the reason for them.
Cool. I didn't know it shows reasons too. Will try it when I get back to home.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Have you prayed at an alter in one of the temples? May help too.
I'm almost sure I tried that too. But if it has to be any specific one, what that might be?

Mau ®

I became I a vampire. Its kinda amusing but some questions

1.- People dont seem to care that Im a vampire. Even the guys at Sirudor's house dont care. Is this normal? in Morrowind everyone freaked out.

2.- Does it affect the quests?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
inthezone said:

1.- People dont seem to care that Im a vampire. Even the guys at Sirudor's house dont care. Is this normal? in Morrowind everyone freaked out.

Nah, no one really cares as far as I ever encountered, though it does lower your disposition towards them. You'll get some VERY humorous responses.

raYne

inthezone said:

NPCs will just behave differently around you. For example, they'll be harder to talk to since they don't want to interact with vampires.

It won't affect your quests directly, but there are times when you'll have to meet a certain person and they only come out during the day.. but you can't because you'll get damaged/killed by the sunlight etc.

Mau ®

Well the sunlight doesnt even affect me that much. Its a very slow kill and well, I use Restore Health every now and then so I suppose Im safe.

I was also concerned when, in my first day as a vampire the sunlight did not damaged me AT ALL. I was thinking maybe it was a bug...a cool bug :)

After my first feed thats when the sunlight got to me but the damage is very low and not annoying. I think Im gonna stay this way...yay?

Y2Kev

So what should I be for my second playthrough? I wanted to be a thief, but it's so not as much fun with the scaling and such. Maybe I'll be a purely physical character...I'm usually magic only.

I never really attempted multiple characters in Oblivion (though I did a ton of 'em in Morrowind). I've basically stuck with the same guy the entire time. In Morrowind, the game forced you to roleplay to your character's abilites but in Oblivion you just become an amorphous blob of a guy so I didn't have any incentive to go back and try it again.

Y2Kev

Right, that's one thing I didn't really like about it. I do want to try and stick to one character though.

Self-imposed limit maybe. Who knows?

purg3

slept with Malkin
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I never really attempted multiple characters in Oblivion (though I did a ton of 'em in Morrowind). I've basically stuck with the same guy the entire time. In Morrowind, the game forced you to roleplay to your character's abilites but in Oblivion you just become an amorphous blob of a guy so I didn't have any incentive to go back and try it again.

Yeah, I only have one character in Oblivion because by the end of the game, he could do just about everything well. I kind of wish that I stuck with a certain charater type, because now I have no interest in creating a new one.

Clevinger

inthezone said:
I was also concerned when, in my first day as a vampire the sunlight did not damaged me AT ALL. I was thinking maybe it was a bug...a cool bug :)

I thought that as long as you feed every day, you can walk in the sun.

Phthisis

Y2Kevbug11 said:
So what should I be for my second playthrough? I wanted to be a thief, but it's so not as much fun with the scaling and such. Maybe I'll be a purely physical character...I'm usually magic only.

My character to this point is a Knight-class Imperial. All melee, with very little (and I mean VERY) ability. It's pretty darn easy at the beginning of the game, but when you hit level 14 or so, things really get tough. Specifically, undead enemies like ghosts and will'o wisps are like minibosses. I have to keep a staff on me at all times so I can hurt them somehow.

Still, it's a lot of fun being able to kill a sorcerer in a couple swings.

Y2Kev

Bethesda needs to bump the PS3 version up a week. I have spring break the week the game is released.

Y2Kev

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Bump it up a week? Unheard of! You better hope it ships on the date they say it is! ;)
Well, the only place I'm going for spring break is Cyrodiil, but I'd like to make sure my package distribution center doesn't close.

Top Bottom