• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
how big do you think the 360 download will be, guys? does microsoft have a limit for things like this?

GhaleonEB

Lonesome_Raod said:
Just looking at the pic of the map and realising its gonna be a really big place to explore has me so so excited.
Someone from Bethesda said it's 1/4 the entire size of Cyrodil in Oblivion. Pretty damn big for an expansion. :D

The expansion sounds great. Two different realms, which are radically different from the mainland of Oblivion. Creating your own gatekeeper, torturing dungeon explorers, a dozen new monsters, option side-quests and caves....lots of new content. I'm stoked.

mattiewheels said:
how big do you think the 360 download will be, guys? does microsoft have a limit for things like this?
I'm expecting a full gig or so. We've had some massive demos so I don't know if there's a cap on Marketplace content like there is for Arcade.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
GhaleonEB said:
I'm expecting a full gig or so. We've had some massive demos so I don't know if there's a cap on Marketplace content like there is for Arcade.
really? that's it?

like you said, since i've seen massive demos, i figured such a large expansion would eclipse the size of those easily.

GreekWolf

Ok, I think I'm royally screwed here with the Hermaeus Mora quest. You know, the uber-Daedra Lord who gives you the best item in the entire game.

I've encountered a strange bug, which doesn't let me
capture the souls of the different races
anymore. I've already snatched a few, using Mora's spell... but now it's just stopped working. I don't know what happened. Apparently, there is an unofficial patch that fixes this problem for PC gamers, but no such remedy for the 360 version.

Really pisses me off, because I've been working on this one for a long time and I don't want to just have to forget about it and move on to something else. If anyone knows of a fix (and no, the 360 patches don't resolve the issue) then please lemme know.

Sometimes if I hit a bug or glitch on the 360 I clear the cache (reboot the gae and hold a when the screen goes black and until the logos flash up) and this often clears any trouble right up.

mattiewheels said:
really? that's it?

like you said, since i've seen massive demos, i figured such a large expansion would eclipse the size of those easily.

The modular nature of the Elder Scrolls Construction Set thingy allows for rather large environments to be built farily quickly, easily, and in small file sizes. However, any new voices, textures and animations will bring the size of the file up.

GhaleonEB may be right, 1 GB may be about the actual size. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I've been playing Oblivion quite a bit lately - mainly to finish the Nights of the Nine questline and also to screw around and fill out my map with locations. I can't believe that there's still stuff to find after all this time. It's like I find multiple forts/temples/caves/campsites everytime I turn it on.

XSamu

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
What? What r u talking about?

EDIT: nvm

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I've been playing Oblivion quite a bit lately - mainly to finish the Nights of the Nine questline and also to screw around and fill out my map with locations. I can't believe that there's still stuff to find after all this time. It's like I find multiple forts/temples/caves/campsites everytime I turn it on.
True, to bad everything is about the same :(

I mean, I love this game, I rly do, but there are so many things that could improve, so many.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
The modular nature of the Elder Scrolls Construction Set thingy allows for rather large environments to be built farily quickly, easily, and in small file sizes. However, any new voices, textures and animations will bring the size of the file up.

GhaleonEB may be right, 1 GB may be about the actual size. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
I think I read somewhere (probably this thread) that the PC installed version was 4.5 GB, so I was also partly estimating based on that - if the exansion has 1/4 the content, I figured it might be circa one quarter the size.

bengraven

XSamu said:
I mean, I love this game, I rly do, but there are so many things that could improve, so many.

I don't mind more of the same. For example, I would prefer 14 different factions with fairly normal quests to 4 factions with long, unique quests.

see what I did there?

GhaleonEB said:
I think I read somewhere (probably this thread) that the PC installed version was 4.5 GB, so I was also partly estimating based on that - if the exansion has 1/4 the content, I figured it might be circa one quarter the size.
Out of which, 3 big files account for 60%. 2 voice files, and one big 1GB texture file.

XSamu

Banned
bengraven said:
I don't mind more of the same. For example, I would prefer 14 different factions with fairly normal quests to 4 factions with long, unique quests.

see what I did there?
Lol. But I mean the world design and creatures etc.

I mean, those Ayleid guys were so great and all, but all their city's were the same, and even quite boring. As for the creatures, I hated all those humanoid creatures, I 'm glad that they try something different in Shivering Isles.

GhaleonEB

XSamu said:

I mean, those Ayleid guys were so great and all, but all their city's were the same, and even quite boring. As for the creatures, I hated all those humanoid creatures, I 'm glad that they try something different in Shivering Isles.
It's interesting - when I ran into those "you cannot go this way" messages in Oblivion it infuriated me - I wanted to keep exploring, even if the countryside was the same. I fully expected that to be what the expansion was - more territory in a direction - and I'd be happy with that. Bethesda really surprised me with the direction they took with this expansion. I couldn't be happier with it.

bengraven

XSamu said:

I agree with you on this. Bethesda does need a lot of work in many of their areas. This is one of the only complaints I have about the series. Creatures are fantastic, but they need to hire people who can make much nicer looking humans and humanoid creatures.

It's upsetting to hear someone say we won't really need to rely on face mods (like Rhedd's Heads) in Oblivion and then find out everyone looks like the menagerie I see at the homeless shelter. And then modders create gorgeous faces. Hire some of THOSE people.

XSamu

Banned
bengraven said:
I agree with you on this. Bethesda does need a lot of work in many of their areas. This is one of the only complaints I have about the series. Creatures are fantastic, but they need to hire people who can make much nicer looking humans and humanoid creatures.

It's upsetting to hear someone say we won't really need to rely on face mods (like Rhedd's Heads) in Oblivion and then find out everyone looks like the menagerie I see at the homeless shelter. And then modders create gorgeous faces. Hire some of THOSE people.
Yeah there are so many mods for the PC with beautiful creatures en humans, I don't understand why Bethesda can't do that.

bengraven

I have to admit, I'm a bit sad when it comes to this game. I was obsessed with Morrowind and put hundreds of hours into multiple characters. You can read all about it in some of my prior posts in this thread. I loved that game.

What makes me sad is that I've really put in my 160 hours with my main character and only a few hours here and there with another. I don't feel as compelled to keep running around, looking for things.

So here is my theory why I, personally, don't feel as attached to Oblivion as I did MW:

- fast travel: no more running around or scoping out the strategy guide map to see the best silt strider routes to your location. Just teleport right there. Yes, it saves time (I wish we had fast travel during the MQ when we had to run around back and forth to those
Ashlander camps, especially the one in the north along the ocean
. The problem is, and again this is personal, I don't get to explore as much.

- the journal: This doesn't apply to anyone but myself really. I had a post regarding this a while ago. I used to forget about quests and then find them again months (years) later, since there was no quest log. Now, being anal as I am, I feel a need to clean up all my quests and find new ones. This is my own issue, as I end up rushing through the game (if you call 160 hours rushing).

- no alternatives: because of the number of quests in MW and it's expansions, I would only do so many faction quests before getting bored and starting a new character. I would then play with that character and do different factions. However, my main purpose of this bullet is the Houses. Reading the official forums and hearing people namedropping their House just made everyone's experience a bit MORE different (Hlaalu FL bitches). It was similar to the Horde/Alliance rift in WoW, only on a lesser scale (Horde FL bitches). And if you wanted to start a Redoran (for example) character later, you could and have a slightly different experience with different sanctuaries/quests.

- not enough loot! Yes, I've been holding back and absconding myself from this debate, but I finally said it. With the scaling in place, you can't go run and find a rare glass sword until you were a high enough level. I remember finding daedric swords lying on a rock in Odai right off the bat. It was great to find these rare items. The argument is that they don't want you to be uber right off the bat, which makes sense, but they can improve this.

First off, when I played my main Oblivion character, I started off with a steel sword that I used for a third of the game. The next third was played with a couple of different enchanted blades I found lying around in loot. Then the final third was a very powerful sword I got from a Daedric quest and then
Umbra
. I want to feel like I'm constantly upgrading my swords. I hate to use the WoW example, but I like how you can always find a green/blue sword that's better than what you have nearly every level or so.

I was at a point in Oblivion where I was only finding low-level enchanted blades that would have rocked at level 5, but were worthless at my current level. They were just basically vendor trash when at one point, when they appeared less than 1% of the time, they would have been great and it would have been fun to play with their enchantments.

Again, all my personal issues and with the DLC, a lot of this is moot, but I'm just stating how I feel.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I imagine we'll see quite a few more posts once the PS3 version hits. Honestly. :) The game will find a whole new audience. We're going for 20k posts! :D
I suspect the PS3 version will get it's own thread. Now the Shivering Isles release, that's a different story. :p

Clevinger

bengraven said:
- fast travel: no more running around or scoping out the strategy guide map to see the best silt strider routes to your location. Just teleport right there. Yes, it saves time (I wish we had fast travel during the MQ when we had to run around back and forth to those

I can understand features people don't like that aren't toggable like the quest pointers, and immortal important NPCs, but I don't get the complaint with this.

Fast travel is an option, you can choose to or choose not to use it. It'd be like complaining about Morrowind because I could open the console and type "COC Balmora" instead of walking there the way I'd like to.

JCBossman

Banned
Ok I am playing thru this game a forth time, I gotta ask these questions: Why at 100% resistance to diesase and fire, can I catch a sickness and can't walk on the lava in Oblivion realm? Do people who are paralyzed get hurt LESS when they are on the ground? Why when I paralyze someone with a 20 second spell and then start to assault them with a destruction spell do they immediately get up? Why is the various types of caves so unbalanced? You will NEVER find good shit in a goblin Cave(Magic rings, enchanted weapons Ect) yet OTHER cave have 10 pieces in one cave. I know about the forced leveling of your enemies, but to go into a goblin cave and find NOTHING but Goblin warlords and Shamans is just MASSIVELY unbalanced.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I say leave the PS3 game in this thread. Let's push it as far as we can. :)

I'm really longing to play the game again...but I'm gonna wait for the PS3 version. I dunno why. I just want to buy it and support Bethesda. So I'm gonna get it and support their efforts.

I'm not gonna do anything stupid like POST COMPARISON SHOTS OF THE TWO GAMES LOL OMG but I'm gonna try and post in here with my experiences of the second time around. The first time around I didn't really like it as much as Morrowind, but I was racing with my friend for achievements and it really ruined the game for me.

I want to try again very badly. Shivering Isles isn't really on my radar yet.

So I'm really excited to be back on the scene. :D

I've asked several times (probably like 5000 posts ago) why you could still contract diseases even when you had 100% protection from disease. I don't think I ever got an aswer, but it bothered me too. The disease I would contract was the one that led to Vampirism, so maybe that one works differently. But it shouldn't.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I'm not gonna do anything stupid like POST COMPARISON SHOTS OF THE TWO GAMES LOL OMG but I'm gonna try and post in here with my experiences of the second time around. .

It never even occured to me that would happen until you posted. I can see it now. This thread will turn into a piss up with screenshot comparisons and review quotes.

Danger ahead! Thread lock imminent. Bans will not be televised.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
It never even occured to me that would happen until you posted. I can see it now. This thread will turn into a piss up with screenshot comparisons and review quotes.

Danger ahead! Thread lock imminent. Bans will not be televised.

I'm sure the community here is mature enough to be harsh towards all evildoers. :)

It would be shame to have this epic thread locked, that's for sure. But I'm sure it'll remain civil. Most of the 360 players have moved on now, and the ones that are still in here have a true love for the game. I really don't care if the PS3 version looks better, it's just such a great game, I'm glad to see it on more system and sell more copies, funding a new version in the future.

BTW, once the update for the 360 and PC is released that adds the new custome shader, I doubt we'll see any difference between the PS3 and the older versions, but I guess we'll see.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Most of the 360 players have moved on now, and the ones that are still in here have a true love for the game.

I am still here. This game has exposed my more insane video game habits. I played through once, finishing the main quest, fighters guild, and dabbling in others. Now with the knowledge I've gained I'm trying to make the ultimate min/max, power level, whatever you call it dude.

And I want him to be like level 25-30 or something before I touch any quests. He's currently level 15 with 100 in strength, endurance, and intelligence, 65 willpower, 55 agility, 50 speed and luck, and 40 personality. All from hitting summoned scamps, standing in front of mudcrabs, bunnyhopping, sneaking near some tavern owner, or casting spells over and over. No leveled content touched.

However, now I'm rethinking this, and instead I've just started a similar character, except I'm looking to get as much luck as I can. 15 off of starting bonuses and one each level.

Oh, and also I tried to take major skills so as to not limit my equipment options down the road. So blade, blunt, heavy armour, light armour and block are all minor skills. As well, skills I can't avoid using I tried to keep as minor skills too, athletics, security, acrobatics, restoration, armorer, mercantile and speechcraft. I always found it interesting how the elder scrolls leveling system tends to define your character by his minor skills.

I'm sure others have done this sorta crazy stuff, I just wish Bethesda didn't feel the need to crap all over power levelers in this one. Morrowind was so much nicer for that. Redoran Vault booyah. I think it's kinda silly, since you gotta play through the game once to have the knowledge to power level. And once someone has played the game 'the right way' once, if they wanna try a new character concept and power level the **** outa them, why not?

My buddies who play never understood my leveling ways, but at least I never had to change the difficulty. I ****ing owned Mankar Camoran.

JCBossman

Banned
You are Absolutely right about power Leveling, you really HAVE to play thru the game to see how to do it the best, did ANYONE ever get ALL your stats to 100 with a mix of styles, such as doing alot of Merantile and speechcraft stuff to get the plus 5 bonus to personality, than doing a bunch of spells to get a big bonus in intellegence or wisdom? is it possible to MAX out all stats at 100 before you run out of levels? I USUALLY go with a PURE mage character (Breton or High Elf) and choose NOTHING but magic as my main choices(funny thing is usually I just hack the hello out of 'em) but I like the option of going hardcore with magic, usually I 'll use a blunt weapon for half the game, then switch to a blade so that I can use EITHER effectively.I just wish the "BOSS" fights were really boss fights, when the "King of Worms" goes down easier than a common "gloom Wraith" somethings wrong.

mattiewheels

Kung Fu Jedi said:
BTW, once the update for the 360 and PC is released that adds the new custome shader, I doubt we'll see any difference between the PS3 and the older versions, but I guess we'll see.
that's exactly what i was hoping for, that they would amend the original experience with the new dlc code. this is gonna be so hott.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
bengraven said:

I agree with a lot of your points, however I have ended up liking Oblivion more than MW, if only a little. I will say in response to your point quoted above, what I did was just not use fast travel for most of my first 50 hours or so in the game. The only time I did it was when I had to backtrack immediately for a quest (i.e. - walk to town A, go to cave B, then back to A). Now, however, I use it all the time because I've uncovered most all points on the map.

I am very nostalgic for Morrowind, but the few times I've tried to play it in recent months the sheer overwhelming size of the game has caused me to give up, usually after reach Balmora. Also the melee mechanics are just terrible compared to Oblivion, so that too has caused me to quit. I really, really need to try to get back into MW, cause I know there's a lot I didn't do.

Maybe some day...

The game has so many ways to play and approach the quests and character creation, it's little wonder that this thread is so huge, and still growing. You can have such a different experience playing through the game with a different character. I played through with a stealthy character and a more magic based character, and both were incredibly fun and rewarding, and oh so different.

Well all loose ends are tied up in Cyrodil now. My main character is level 52 with 200+ hours on the clock eagerly awaiting entrance into Sheogorath's realm.

JCBossman

Banned
Lonesome_Raod said:
Well all loose ends are tied up in Cyrodil now. My main character is level 52 with 200+ hours on the clock eagerly awaiting entrance into Sheogorath's realm.

No disrespect but aren't you limited to level 45?

bengraven

I can understand features people don't like that aren't toggable like the quest pointers, and immortal important NPCs, but I don't get the complaint with this.

Fast travel is an option, you can choose to or choose not to use it. It'd be like complaining about Morrowind because I could open the console and type "COC Balmora" instead of walking there the way I'd like to.

Like I said: it's a personal thing. It's one of the limitations on the game that was completely needless and fixed in Oblivion, but my own nostalgia blinds me to the truth. :lol Much like people who complain that the 2-d Mario games should have never left the 8 World, 4 level pattern and instead switched to the map system. I just liked getting lost is my point and I don't get lost anymore. I COULD, as you said, get lost if I chose, but I'm very anal and obsessive compulsive. I'll admit that right now. It's my OWN fault at some of these issues I stated above.

Big Nate said:
I agree with a lot of your points, however I have ended up liking Oblivion more than MW, if only a little. I will say in response to your point quoted above, what I did was just not use fast travel for most of my first 50 hours or so in the game. The only time I did it was when I had to backtrack immediately for a quest (i.e. - walk to town A, go to cave B, then back to A). Now, however, I use it all the time because I've uncovered most all points on the map.

I am very nostalgic for Morrowind, but the few times I've tried to play it in recent months the sheer overwhelming size of the game has caused me to give up, usually after reach Balmora. Also the melee mechanics are just terrible compared to Oblivion, so that too has caused me to quit. I really, really need to try to get back into MW, cause I know there's a lot I didn't do.

Maybe some day...

Oh, Oblivion is the better game. With the new dynamic battle system, the game suddenly feels less like a turn-based RPG and now feels like a real world with real reactions to my actions. I loved how they added schedules and ambient wildlife/domestic animals, two of my three biggest complaints from MW that had taken away from MW's sense of realism (the other being the lack of children, but that's another topic altogether). The game is huge, beautiful, and fixes everything I didn't like about the somewhat bland MW. And the story is much better.

Like you said, I'm just getting nostalgic for Morrowind. My little home in Caldera (the one to the right of the Mage's Guild), the swampy coast, Solstheim. *shrugs* I won't be able to play very long because of all the things that Oblivion introduced, but I just like to think of it sometimes.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Actually not all that uncommon with the regulars in this tread. GhaleonEB has a lot more hours in than that I believe. This is the kind of love that this game generates. :)
My time was spent between two characters, with about 170 hours on one and 130 on the other (topped out around 305 hours of playtime, IIRC).

It's a testament to the game that I'm genuinely excited to create a new character and dive back in when Shivering Isles comes out. :D

GhaleonEB said:
My time was spent between two characters, with about 170 hours on one and 130 on the other (topped out around 305 hours of playtime, IIRC).

It's a testament to the game that I'm genuinely excited to create a new character and dive back in when Shivering Isles comes out. :D

I thought I remembered you saying that you topped out at over 300 hours of play total. I think I'm in the area of about 200-220 myself over my two characters.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Actually not all that uncommon with the regulars in this tread. GhaleonEB has a lot more hours in than that I believe. This is the kind of love that this game generates. :)

Well, it's not the hours that impresses me, it's the level. In any case I have no doubt that others have done it, nonetheless much respect.

PedroLumpy said:
Well, it's not the hours that impresses me, it's the level. In any case I have no doubt that others have done it, nonetheless much respect.
I've heard people go up in level more than 100 by doing trick of going in the jail.

I bought PC version with Knights of Nine expansion last week. I've got 360 version too. Graphics quality is not as good as Xbox 360 but I'm loving it for three things: Very short loading time as compared to 360, better inventory management, and countless mods. When you have lots of items in your inventory, it becomes really frustrating on 360 version. I'm running it on 7600GT with 256MB.

See how cool your character can be with mods:

coolgz0.jpg

It's NOT my character. I found it on the internet.

MirageDwarf said:
I've heard people go up in level more than 100 by doing trick of going in the jail.

I bought PC version with Knights of Nine expansion last week. I've got 360 version too. Graphics quality is not as good as Xbox 360 but I'm loving it for three things: Very short loading time as compared to 360, better inventory management, and countless mods. When you have lots of items in your inventory, it becomes really frustrating on 360 version. I'm running it on 7600GT with 256MB.

See how cool your character can be with mods:

*image*

It's NOT my character. I found it on the internet.

I'm not sure, but I imagine that there is some consensus that the PC version is better (assuming you got a PC that can handle it) due to all the cool mods and stuff.

I certainly would have gotten the PC one if my computer could handle it. But of course, it can't.

Pellham

Banned
Without having to search through the 200+ pages of this thread, can anyone point out must-download mods and their links? I am thinking of starting over in Oblivion, haven't played it since I beat it several months ago...

Top Bottom