• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

MaddenNFL64

Yeah, why add that anyway? Damn.

edit: Anyway, that is a great quest.

Dunmer woman: 'Do you think he likes me?'

Me: 'Yes, you should go upsairs & wait for him'

*kill her in bed*

GreekWolf

Alright guys, Shivering Isles arrives less than 48 hours from now, so let's get this party started!

After viewing the map, where's the first place that you'd like to explore? I'm thinking that once my Paladin figures out how to outwit the Gatekeeper and get through the portal, I might venture down into the Shallow Grave and do some exploring. Hope I don't come across any Shambles. *eek*

I'm guessing that the HUGE Vivec-like city that's been shown in previews is probably the Fringe. Man, I'm excited. :D

shivering.jpg

Kabouter

GreekWolf said:
Alright guys, Shivering Isles arrives less than 48 hours from now, so let's get this party started!

After viewing the map, where's the first place that you'd like to explore? I'm thinking that once my Paladin figures out how to outwit the Gatekeeper and get through the portal, I might venture down into the Shallow Grave and do some exploring. Hope I don't come across any Shambles. *eek*

I'm guessing that the HUGE Vivec-like city that's been shown in previews is probably the Fringe. Man, I'm excited. :D

I'm curious as to what's on the islands in the bay in the south-west.

MaddenNFL64 said:
edit: Anyway, that is a great quest.

Dunmer woman: 'Do you think he likes me?'

Me: 'Yes, you should go upsairs & wait for him'

*kill her in bed*
Yeah, stabbed her with a poison dagger myself :p.
Poisoning her seemed appropriate as she was the first death :lol. Shame you can't use cyanide in a drink of hers ;).

GreekWolf

Kabouter said:
I'm curious as to what's on the islands in the bay in the south-west.
Good choice. The coolest dungeon in Morrowind was hidden away in a group of islands just like in that bay.

Actually, the Lost Dwemer outpost was also found in an area similar to the Shivering Isles map. Grrr... now I think I'm gonna bypass the Shallow Grave and just head straight for the islands. Too many possibilities.

Kabouter

GreekWolf said:
Good choice. The coolest dungeon in Morrowind was hidden away in a group of islands just like in that bay.

Actually, the Lost Dwemer outpost was also found in an area similar to the Shivering Isles map. Grrr... now I think I'm gonna bypass the Shallow Grave and just head straight for the islands. Too many possibilities.

It's hard to say where you'll go anyway if you play at all like I do. With the regular Oblivion, as soon as I was out of the sewers, I just went for the first interesting place I saw in the distance. Didn't even bother to look at the map for the first two hours or so. Just went exploring. I still love just playing that way, always seem to run into something cool.

Kabouter

BenjaminBirdie said:
I blocked it too.
Thanks mate, wouldn't want to get banned over something which I did inadvertently. I've never used a racial slur against someone, and I never will.

Anyway, back ontopic. I'm still curious as to how I can raise my standing with the law-abiding citizens of Cyrodiil. Guards and the like are usually in the teens reputation wise, most other people in the low thirties. Gets really annoying, because I'm starting to have to spend a ton of money just to talk to someone about a relatively normal topic. Will doing regular 'good' quests help? Or is the main quest the only real way to get it up?

MaddenNFL64

Raise your Personality & Speechcraft, and you should have an average of 38, or so with Guards (I did all the DB & Thieves Guild quests, so my disposition with all of them was probably hurt quite a bit). Also, just do the speechcraft minigame on some of the patrolling guards to give yourself some breathing room. I'm buds with a few, so they let me go once in a while :D.

Kabouter

MaddenNFL64 said:
Raise your Personality & Speechcraft, and you should have an average of 38, or so with Guards (I did all the DB & Thieves Guild quests, so my disposition with all of them was probably hurt quite a bit). Also, just do the speechcraft minigame on some of the patrolling guards to give yourself some breathing room. I'm buds with a few, so they let me go once in a while :D.

Okay cool :).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Refresh my memory.

What's better:

6 pts fire damage on target
5 pts fire damage in 5 feet for 3 seconds on target

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Refresh my memory.

What's better:

6 pts fire damage on target
5 pts fire damage in 5 feet for 3 seconds on target

I just asked this question on the last page:

5 poinst of damage x 3 seconds for a total of 15 points of damage

So, 6 pts is instant, but 5 pts over 3 seconds is 15 total. So, 5x3 is better.

Xenon

What is the best house to buy if my main consideration is proximity to fast travel point?

Also, I know you can buy an alchemy lab for Frostcrag Spire. Is there a way to put all your ingredients and alchemy equipment into it. I hate having to take and put back everthing when I want to make potions.

MaddenNFL64

Magic lesson. When making spells, always use a smaller damage amount with a longer duaration. It uses less magicka, and generally works just as good as a 'Big Bang' spell.

So, instead of 100pt fire damage, do 50 pt for 2, or even better 25 for 4. Your magicka saving will be huge, and in 4 seconds that thing will be dead.

GhaleonEB

Synbios459 said:
No offense GhaleonEB but I find it funny you have no problem with such an expansive fairly complex system like Oblivion, yet you have trouble with a fairly basic system like C:SotN.
Oblivion came with a manual, which explains things. I actually have a lot of questions about things in the game, but I'll probaby find a faq somewhere rather than be mocked further here. That is, if I keep playing it. I don't think it's a very good game - at all - so I don't see myself going back to it once Shivering Isles comes out.

And if you were in this thread back when Oblivion came out, I was making all kinds of stupid mistakes because of things I didn't understand correctly. :p

Y2Kev

Does magicka stack? Like, should I hit a zombie with six 5 second spells at once or wait for each of them to expire?

GhaleonEB said:
Oblivion came with a manual, which explains things. I actually have a lot of questions about things in the game, but I'll probaby find a faq somewhere rather than be mocked further here. That is, if I keep playing it. I don't think it's a very good game - at all - so I don't see myself going back to it once Shivering Isles comes out.

And if you were in this thread back when Oblivion came out, I was making all kinds of stupid mistakes because of things I didn't understand correctly. :p

You've come a long way Padawan! :D

MaddenNFL64

Xenon said:
What is the best house to buy if my main consideration is proximity to fast travel point?

Also, I know you can buy an alchemy lab for Frostcrag Spire. Is there a way to put all your ingredients and alchemy equipment into it. I hate having to take and put back everthing when I want to make potions.

Imperial City for convenience. It surrounds all cities, and it's cheap.

When you get near the alchemy table, it just raises your alchemy skill by 15 points. There is a chest near the table to put all your alchemic stuff inside, if you want. Also, the best reason to spring for the alchemy room, is the exotic plants area. It has spiddal sticks, blood grass, harrada roots, and Mana Blooms. Stuff you won't find except in Oblivion gates, or in case of Mana Blooms, Mankar's paradise.

as someone who's always had a passing interest in this game, is it possible to just play through this game predominately using hand to hand combat? Frankly, i hear a lot of talk when i read up on Oblivion on the need to use magic, and, well, i hate magic. Im the type of player that went through stuff like Diablo II and PSO using magic only for some basic healing spells.

Ninja Scooter said:
as someone who's always had a passing interest in this game, is it possible to just play through this game predominately using hand to hand combat? Frankly, i hear a lot of talk when i read up on Oblivion on the need to use magic, and, well, i hate magic. Im the type of player that went through stuff like Diablo II and PSO using magic only for some basic healing spells.

I'm mostly a warrior, swords and what not. The leveling enemies makes it really difficult, since you can't bitch out and summon daedra after daedra to do all the work for you, but I quite enjoyed it.

I do remember reaching the end of a particular quest and getting my ass beat so badly and repeatedly by an orc that I had to lure him into an underground pool and have him drown. Sure would've liked to summon something to fight THAT guy, let me tell you.

GhaleonEB

Ninja Scooter said:
Yup. My first character was a melee-focused bruiser. Just focus your skills on strength, speed and other skills that support melee and you can pound your way through the game.

I did use summoning for backup pretty often, though, but that was about it.

GreekWolf

Ninja Scooter said:
as someone who's always had a passing interest in this game, is it possible to just play through this game predominately using hand to hand combat?
My level 30 warrior uses nothing but axes, swords, maces and hammers to dispense his own brand of justice to the land.

Magic is for girls and elves.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I just did the Glarthir quest. :lol What a freak.
After finishing quest first time, I usually kill him to get into Dark Brotherhood.

Question for PC version: When I talk to somebody directly, voice is normal. Whenever I hear voices of people talking because I'm in that area, it sounds really different like some ****ing low quality encoding with single channel. Is it common?

GhaleonEB

I Am Error said:
Has anyone tried falsely accusing one of the people he makes you spy on? I wonder what happens.
My last two characters were too nice. Since I'm playing an evil bitch this time around I might just go and do that. :D

GhaleonEB said:
My last two characters were too nice. Since I'm playing an evil bitch this time around I might just go and do that. :D
That guy was really paranoid, I wonder if he would have killed them. You should see some of the things he horded in his house.

Weird thing is during that quest
the people you had to spy on mention some bakery in town sells the best good or something like that, which I thought was a little suspicious because they all mentioned it. I thought it might have been some secret code they were referring to.

GhaleonEB

I Am Error said:
That guy was really paranoid, I wonder if he would have killed him. You should see some of the things he horded in his house.

Weird thing is during that quest
the people you had to spy on mention some bakery in town sells the best good or something like that, which I thought was a little suspicious because they all mentioned it. I thought it might have been some secret code they were referring to.
I think is paranoia is rubbing off on you.

just kidding.

Y2Kev

GhaleonEB said:

Two of the three will go and attack him and you'll have a battle in the middle of the street.

This happens if you alert THEM that the little runt is targeting them. In the other case, I believe he
asks you to kill them.

I don't think the ultimate end is that different. OMG Loot his house for mega gold!

X26

Banned
I can't believe I avoided doing the shrine quests for so long, some of them are pretty cool (flaming dogs hurtling towards earth, oh my). Although, how do I ugly myself up in order to do Namira's quest?

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Two of the three will go and attack him and you'll have a battle in the middle of the street.

This happens if you alert THEM that the little runt is targeting them.
Ha ha, that is a way better end to the quest then not accusing someone.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
In the other case, I believe he
asks you to kill them
If you are referring to not accusing someone
he then accuses you of being in cahoots with them and fights you to the death, his death that is.

Y2Kev

About that quest though...I think Bethesda was being almost a little TOO cheeky. I followed that Bernadette bitch for like TWO DAYS hoping she'd meet someone. I sat behind her in Church for the most boring 10 minutes of gaming EVER :lol :lol

GhaleonEB

Y2Kevbug11 said:
About that quest though...I think Bethesda was being almost a little TOO cheeky. I followed that Bernadette bitch for like TWO DAYS hoping she'd meet someone. I sat behind her in Church for the most boring 10 minutes of gaming EVER :lol :lol

I watched her garden for waaaay too long. :lol

Y2Kev

GhaleonEB said:
I watched her garden for waaaay too long. :lol

The way she bent over to hoe and the way my character was positioned...it was so bad. Ugh, so, so bad.

The little runt deserved the dicing action of my COLD STEEL.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I just finished some pretty fun quests.

Investigating an owner of a store who undercuts on items so much. This was a fun quest. THe guy behind it paid with the bashing of my unforgiving Axe.

Oh, this was great. I was going to buy time waiting to meet with the thueve's guild, and I went to the boat in the Imperial City Waterfront. Was a tavern/motel. I go to bed to pass the time and I wake up to find it's been taken over. They also paid with the bashening.

I have some decent loot now. A kick ass Mace, and two enchanted swords.

MaddenNFL64

X26 said:
I can't believe I avoided doing the shrine quests for so long, some of them are pretty cool (flaming dogs hurtling towards earth, oh my). Although, how do I ugly myself up in order to do Namira's quest?

If you're late in the game, and your personality is high, you're kinda screwed. BUT there is an exploit (unless it was fixed with the patch, I dunno). I had to use this exploit to do her quest, since I was stuck in my pretty boy ways.

Caught in the Hunt in Bravil
is very rewarding quest in terms of loot. Make sure you have
feather spell or something as picking up everything will over-encumbered you.
My gold was almost doubled after this quest.

When you download expansions like "The Wizards Tower" or "Shivering Isles" does any new data get saved to those? For example, if I put my main game save on a memory card and transfered it to a new 360, then redownloaded the expansion content I bought, would I lose anything in the process?

GhaleonEB

I'm being reminded of everything I love, and don't, about this game. I went to do the Paranoia quest, and now it's bugged. The first quest starter, about meeting Glathir behind the chuch, moved to my "completed quests" tab immediately, and Glathir doesn't show up at midnight. I've waited four days now.

I do hope the Shivering Isles got a much tighter polish pass than the parent game did. :(

Gonna break into his house and kill the ****er in his sleep now.

Edit: He's not in bed.

Double Edit: He's DEAD! Everyone is saying "he turned up dead". Must have pissed someone off somewhere. :lol

Now I gotta find an old lady to murder.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm being reminded of everything I love, and don't, about this game. I went to do the Paranoia quest, and now it's bugged. The first quest starter, about meeting Glathir behind the chuch, moved to my "completed quests" tab immediately, and Glathir doesn't show up at midnight. I've waited four days now.

I do hope the Shivering Isles got a much tighter polish pass than the parent game did. :(

Gonna break into his house and kill the ****er in his sleep now.
What? How did that happen? I've done this quest 2-3 times without any problem. Once, I had problem of quest not showing any marker, but I still waited at night, he showed up, I killed him, quest completed. It must be some specific situation kicking this bug.

GhaleonEB

MirageDwarf said:
What? How did that happen? I've done this quest 2-3 times without any problem. Once, I had problem of quest not showing any marker, but I still waited at night, he showed up, I killed him, quest completed. It must be some specific situation kicking this bug.
Apparantly someone killed him - everyone says he's dead now, but the quest never progressed beyond the first notch.

Finding an innocent lady to murder isn't turning out too easy either. The first woman I found sleeping had a wicked ice spell. I reloaded and tried the girl in the church (I know, I'm evil). She summoned an axe, armor, and a creature to fight with her. Practicing the dark arts on the side apparantly. :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Reading up on the Thieve's Guild quests. Woof, those are going to be tough. I picked Barbarian, and I sneak around like a Mac Truck. Hell, I suck balls at the Lockpick mini game. Oi vey am I horrible at that thing. =(

Top Bottom