• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

MaddenNFL64

Aww damn, when i saw
Lucien Lachance filleted & strung up, I was kinda sad. he was so badass, and I pretty much got him killed :(. I will never again get to hear one of my favorite lines in the game - 'I don't spread rumors, I make them.'

Kabouter

:lol
I just had the mission where I had to steal something for the Thieves Guild from the Arch Mage. When I got there I saw a ton of goodies in his room, took all of those, and then thought, what the heck, I'll check if he has anything on him while he's asleep. Turned out he had a lot of stuff on him, so I pickpocketed ~40ish gold and an entire heavy armour set. Pretty brilliant when you can pickpocket shit like that :lol

GhaleonEB

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
One of the most frighting moments for me in a video game was when you first find that I kept thinking
He's going to creep up on me, he's going to kill me

I loved that whole quest line, it started off like some black comedy then just when freaky and scary as shit towards the end, when you walk into the cabin and they've strung the poor dude up, ohhhh man.

Does anyone know when shivering isle is coming to the XBL marketplace?
Shivering Isles comes out on the 27th. Since Live is down from midnight until 2pm Pacific time, it will probably come out in the afternoon or evening.

can anyone confirm if the jail trick still works for levelling with the new update?

this trick is where you
purposely spend a lot of jail time to get your major skills lowered by so that you can gain levels (ie 10 per new level), thereby further raising health mana and attributes

JCBossman said:
This is OBLIVION!, NOT Freaken Martha Stwart, Just throw open the door to your house and dump the shit in HEAPING piles, everywhere.

:lol

That's what I did for my White Stallion Lodge. (I think that's what it's called...)

cleveridea said:
can anyone confirm if the jail trick still works for levelling with the new update?

this trick is where you
purposely spend a lot of jail time to get your major skills lowered by so that you can gain levels (ie 10 per new level), thereby further raising health mana and attributes
This isn't a bug. It's how game is designed. You go to jail, some of your skills might be lowered. I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure it's still there.

Duke Togo

I am so LTTP for this game, but man is it something else! I picked it up for ps3 as a bit of an impulse purchase, and my Saturday afternoon sort of just vanished. :lol

GhaleonEB

duketogo88 said:
I am so LTTP for this game, but man is it something else! I picked it up for ps3 as a bit of an impulse purchase, and my Saturday afternoon sort of just vanished. :lol
Welcome to the club. :D

Oblivion has made many day just kind of disappear for me.

Kabouter

duketogo88 said:

Yeah, it says a lot when it can still keep a lot of people on PC/360 interested a year after release. It's just a great game, no matter what a lot of people will have you believe. It's not without it's flaws, but it's just a damn lot of fun to play and the hours just seem to melt away while playing.

bengraven

Kabouter said:
Yeah, it says a lot when it can still keep a lot of people on PC/360 interested a year after release. It's just a great game, no matter what a lot of people will have you believe. It's not without it's flaws, but it's just a damn lot of fun to play and the hours just seem to melt away while playing.

And it brings together three camps: PC, 360, and PS3. Notice how we're not yelling at all the "noobs" and "Sonybots" who are finally playing the game? That's because we're here to help them: we're happy they're here so we can talk about this ****ing fantastic game with a bigger audience.

That's my heartwarming 2 cents of the day. :lol

GreekWolf

Kabouter said:
Yeah, it says a lot when it can still keep a lot of people on PC/360 interested a year after release.
273 hours here =/

I shudder to think the amount of productivity wasted in my life when Shivering Isles arrives.

Finally got a chance to play some Oblivion with the new patch. Seems pretty cool. Distance textures really do look better. More definition on them from further away.

This is the first time I've played in months. Probably since last Summer, and it feels like coming home. :) I'm having fun exploring some dungeons that I hadn't been to yet (Found nother Alyeid Statue) and finishing up a few quests.

Still such a great game. :)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
GhaleonEB said:
Shivering Isles comes out on the 27th. Since Live is down from midnight until 2pm Pacific time, it will probably come out in the afternoon or evening.

Are you sure about that? I've read that it's coming out on the 26th.

GreekWolf

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Finally got a chance to play some Oblivion with the new patch. Seems pretty cool. Distance textures really do look better. More definition on them from further away.

This is the first time I've played in months. Probably since last Summer, and it feels like coming home. :) I'm having fun exploring some dungeons that I hadn't been to yet (Found nother Alyeid Statue) and finishing up a few quests.
Frankly, I really wasn't expecting the new shader to add much of an improvement to the 360 version... but, I was surprised to see how much more detailed the distant landscape now appears. As Shane would say, it's a "tangible" difference. :)

And WTF Jedi... you mean to tell me you've been poking around here all this time and STILL haven't completed the Alyeid statue quest? I'm demoting you to Oblivion Janitor!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
GhaleonEB said:
I haven't seen that change, though maybe they decided to bump up the 360 release because of Live going down. Where did you hear the 26th from?

In the stickied "Upcoming Releases" thread it says the 26th.

Porkepik

Just picked it up for the PS3 at 12 but i'm stuck at work till 8pm(okay okay in overtime so it pays for oblivion and some more), can't wait to play it, i'm reading the user manual at the moment to pass the time.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
You know what it is. The game ships on the 26th, so you can buy it on the 27th. That's why we're not getting it until the 27th on LIVE. Even though you can't buy it in retail at all for the 360.

I love digital distribution. The promise of "getting it as soon as it's done" is comletely false. Any time there's a retail release, the download must wait until stores get it.

Ugh.

Kabouter

I'll probably hold off on the add-on for a while personally, I'm so used to playing the game with all these mods, I don't want to go back to playing it without them.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
That Wiki page is pretty in depth. I see things like "Best items for lvl 1 players" and my eyes light up and I'm like "No, no, just play it like your exploring on your own."

I'm currently level 2. I've explored and beat some caves and dungeons so far, and a quest or two. Mainly just taking up quests and caves along the way to turn in the amulet to the guy at the Priory. I'm still not sure how to read armor ratings or anything (the wiki page didn't help, least not what I saw). =( I'm on the quest to save one little village from not being invisible anymore. Pretty funny.

I stopped at the Imperial Market to try to sell off some of the jewels and stuff I've picked up. Are there pretty good items to buy in town? Or better to just rely on equipment I find along the way?

GhaleonEB

Kintaro said:
That Wiki page is pretty in depth. I see things like "Best items for lvl 1 players" and my eyes light up and I'm like "No, no, just play it like your exploring on your own."

I'm currently level 2. I've explored and beat some caves and dungeons so far, and a quest or two. Mainly just taking up quests and caves along the way to turn in the amulet to the guy at the Priory. I'm still not sure how to read armor ratings or anything (the wiki page didn't help, least not what I saw). =( I'm on the quest to save one little village from not being invisible anymore. Pretty funny.

I stopped at the Imperial Market to try to sell off some of the jewels and stuff I've picked up. Are there pretty good items to buy in town? Or better to just rely on equipment I find along the way?
Most of the good stuff will come from loot, not stores. Early on, just buy the best of everything. After level 5 or so, you'll start finding decent enchanted weapons, and when you get into the Mage's Guild, you can make your own. (Which is a good reason to get into the Mage's Guild asap, btw.)

MaddenNFL64

For the new PS3 OB players.

UESP - It's a Wiki style website with walkthroughs, maps, and other crap about all the Elder Scrolls games. Very useful. Been around for 10 years.

The Imperial Library - A website dedicated to the lore of Elder Scrolls. If you need to know more about the Dremora, or 'WTF happened to the Dwemer?', this is your place.

Bethesda Official Forums - It's the official forum :p.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
GhaleonEB said:
Most of the good stuff will come from loot, not stores. Early on, just buy the best of everything. After level 5 or so, you'll start finding decent enchanted weapons, and when you get into the Mage's Guild, you can make your own. (Which is a good reason to get into the Mage's Guild asap, btw.)

Thanks for the tips. Also, I found this pot that allows me to work on Alchemy. Does Alchemy work in "levels" like "Make this till you're level 10, then this till level 20" or is it a bit more freeform?

I am going to download Shivering Isles when it come out. I have a frined who also has a X-box360, but he doens't have an internet connection. I have a question.....Could I copy the downloads to his X-box 360 so he could play it? I wish Bethesda put out a dics for Shivering Isleson the 360 and PS3 for people like my friend who doens't have an internet connection to download it. they have it also on dics for PC. by the way I have The recent Patch works great. I noticed the load times are quicker, and everything runs smoother. Has anyone else noticed this?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have a question that I've always wondered:

If a spell effect is, say, "Fire Damage 5 pts for 3 secs on Target", does that mean they are getting 5 fire damage every second for 3 seconds, or that they are getting 5 fire damage total over 3 seconds (so like 1.66 fire damage every second).

Kabouter

Still level 2 myself as well, completed the Dark Brotherhood storyline, and probably around halfway through the Thieves Guild. Also did one or two random quests, and just some exploring/killing stuff. Sunk about ~12 hours in so far I think. I do have a problem though, due to my being jailed two times for not being the nicest person in Cyrodiil, many people hate my guts. What is the best way to raise this without bribing everyone individually? :p

GreekWolf said:
Frankly, I really wasn't expecting the new shader to add much of an improvement to the 360 version... but, I was surprised to see how much more detailed the distant landscape now appears. As Shane would say, it's a "tangible" difference. :)

And WTF Jedi... you mean to tell me you've been poking around here all this time and STILL haven't completed the Alyeid statue quest? I'm demoting you to Oblivion Janitor!

Nope, definitely completed the Collector's Questline a long time ago, but I didn't find every statue. That questline is amongst my favorites. Very epic.

Can I have my status back now? Please? :D

FlyinJ said:
I have a question that I've always wondered:

If a spell effect is, say, "Fire Damage 5 pts for 3 secs on Target", does that mean they are getting 5 fire damage every second for 3 seconds, or that they are getting 5 fire damage total over 3 seconds (so like 1.66 fire damage every second).

5 poinst of damage x 3 seconds for a total of 15 points of damage

MaddenNFL64

Kintaro said:
Thanks for the tips. Also, I found this pot that allows me to work on Alchemy. Does Alchemy work in "levels" like "Make this till you're level 10, then this till level 20" or is it a bit more freeform?

You have the Mortar & Pestle. There are actually 4 alchemic tools that help refine your potions quality. You'll soon find a Calcinator, Alembic, and Retort. There are 5 grades - Novice/Apprentice/Journeyman/Expert/Master versions. Obviously, the better equipment, the better the potion. You will find better equipment as you level your character. Also skill increases (you increase it by eating ingredients, or making potions) open up the ability to make new potions from various ingredient combinations. Every ingredient has 4 effects attributed to it, but you have to match it with another ingredient that has one or more of those effects to make a potion.

edit: Forgot one. Thanks Kabouter.

Kabouter

MaddenNFL64 said:
You have the Mortar & Pestle. There are actually 4 alchemic tools that help refine your potions quality. You'll soon find a Calcinator, Alembic, and Retort. There are 4 grades - Novice/Apprentice/Expert/Master versions. Obviously, the better equipment, the better the potion. You will find better equipment as you level your character. Also skill increases (you increase it by eating ingredients, or making potions) open up the ability to make new potions from various ingredient combinations. Every ingredient has 4 effects attributed to it, but you have to match it with another ingredient that has one or more of those effects to make a potion.

You're forgetting Journeyman versions.

GhaleonEB

Kintaro said:
Each ingredient has four possible effects. From Alchemy levels 1-24, you can only see (and use) one of those four. 25-49, you get two, 50-74 you get three and 75 and up you can see all four. (When you hit level 100, you can make potions/poisons with a single ingredient.) As you gain levels, your potions get more and more powerful. Also, there are four different pieces of Alchemy equipment - having all four on hand make poisons and potions more usefull.

Try different combinations - you can make some really powerful and usefull stuff. Also, combining ingredients often results in a potion that sells for more than the ingredents seperately, so it can be a good money making source if you just want to get rid of stuff that doesn't have effects you are interested in.

Kabouter

GhaleonEB said:
Each ingredient has four possible effects. From Alchemy levels 1-24, you can only see (and use) one of those four. 25-49, you get two, 50-74 you get three and 75 and up you can see all four. (When you hit level 100, you can make potions/poisons with a single ingredient.) As you gain levels, your potions get more and more powerful. Also, there are four different pieces of Alchemy equipment - having all four on hand make poisons and potions more usefull.

Try different combinations - you can make some really powerful and usefull stuff. Also, combining ingredients often results in a potion that sells for more than the ingredents seperately, you it can be a good money making source if you just want to get rid of stuff that doesn't have effects you are interested in.

Is there a website I can visit for the best recipes?
Right now, I just make whatever potion I can :p.

This thread should be resticied AGAIN! :lol There is plenty of traffic in here once again, and if it were re-stickied, it would be the fourth time! :D

GhaleonEB

Kabouter said:
Is there a website I can visit for the best recipes?
Right now, I just make whatever potion I can :p.
There's wikis out there for everything imaginable. Just google "oblivion alchemy wiki" sans quotes and I'm sure you'll land a good one. But what fun is that? :D

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
This thread should be resticied AGAIN! :lol There is plenty of traffic in here once again, and if it were re-stickied, it would be the fourth time! :D
It's going to be crazy, all over again, when the Shivering Isles comes out. I'm taking the day after off from work (partly to celebrate my birthday as well).

GhaleonEB said:
It's going to be crazy, all over again, when the Shivering Isles comes out. I'm taking the day after off from work (partly to celebrate my birthday as well).

Awesome! Wish I could, but this time next week I'll be in Tanzania, Africa, and I have A LOT to get done this week both at the office and at home. I may not even purchse the expansion until I return.

A couple of notes on Alchemy which I am in no way an expert on. I've only dabbled in it and there are others here who know a lot more than I do. But once you start messing with it, you really begin to see how deep it is. Nearly any plant can be used to make interesting things as long as you have the skill level to use them.

It's also one of the best ways to make money. As you build your skills by making potions you'll also accumlate a lot of different potionsin your inventory. Sell those suckers off for a very nice profit.

I'm also told you can make far better poisons than you can find in the game naturally.

Kabouter

Yeah, I really need to level my alchemy skill more. As I mostly use my bow and arrows, I can use the damage boost from poison. Sadly, levelling my alchemy skill takes a LOT of time. That's why I now steal all the food from every house I enter, just to level my alchemy skill by brewing endurance potions :p.

GreekWolf

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Nope, definitely completed the Collector's Questline a long time ago, but I didn't find every statue. That questline is amongst my favorites. Very epic.

Can I have my status back now? Please? :D
Ohhh, all right. I guess I really don't have room to say anything, since I've been playing the game for a year now and still haven't gotten around to starting the thieves guild questline or the dark brotherhood.

But before you return to rightful status as Oblivion Jedi, there's a cleanup on aisle 4. Gloom Wraiths are impossible to housetrain.

No offense GhaleonEB but I find it funny you have no problem with such an expansive fairly complex system like Oblivion, yet you have trouble with a fairly basic system like C:SotN.

GreekWolf said:
Ohhh, all right. I guess I really don't have room to say anything, since I've been playing the game for a year now and still haven't gotten around to starting the thieves guild questline or the dark brotherhood.

But before you return to rightful status as Oblivion Jedi, there's a cleanup on aisle 4. Gloom Wraiths are impossible to housetrain.

I'm on it. I'll clean up the mess and housetrain those Wraiths while I'm at it too. ;)

Kabouter

GreekWolf said:

Duuuuuuude. Do Dark Brotherhood NOW.
It's BY FAR the best questline in the game, it's fantastic.
I especially loved the
Agatha Christie inspired one, where you have to eliminate the people in the house one by one. Big fan of And Then There Were None

Kabouter said:
Duuuuuuude. Do Dark Brotherhood NOW.
It's BY FAR the best questline in the game, it's fantastic.
I especially loved the
Agatha Christie inspired one, where you have to eliminate the people in the house one by one. Big fan of Ten Little***********/Ten Little Indians/And Then There Were None

I think we all would have gotten what you were talking about if you had just stuck with "Indians". But now I just feel uncomfortable...

Kabouter

BenjaminBirdie said:
I think we all would have gotten what you were talking about if you had just stuck with "Indians". But now I just feel uncomfortable...

Sorry, didn't mean to be offensive in any way.

BenjaminBirdie said:

Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing. You may want to edit that before it gets you a ban. ;)

Top Bottom