• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

GhaleonEB

Kintaro said:
Reading up on the Thieve's Guild quests. Woof, those are going to be tough. I picked Barbarian, and I sneak around like a Mac Truck. Hell, I suck balls at the Lockpick mini game. Oi vey am I horrible at that thing. =(
I do all my lockpicking by sound rather than the visual cue. Listen for the higher pitched double "tic" when each hammer goes up. It took a while, but I can literally do them with my eyes closed now. Just practice.

pilonv1

After 90+hours playing a thief character I should really know this but
isn't there an unbreakable pick somewhere? I always mean to look it up when I have about 10 picks left but I never end up doing it. If someone can point me in the right direction I'll be very happy.

GhaleonEB

pilonv1 said:
After 90+hours playing a thief character I should really know this but
isn't there an unbreakable pick somewhere? I always mean to look it up when I have about 10 picks left but I never end up doing it. If someone can point me in the right direction I'll be very happy.
The Daedric shrine quest near Leyawiin, to the northeast of it just off a path.

GhaleonEB

pilonv1 said:
Thanks. Someone told me but for some reason I was thinking off near Kvatch. Is it a quest or can you just find it there?
It's a Daedric quest - look for the big statue. Should be some people near it as well.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
You just find it there. It's Nocturnal's shrine.
It's not the only Nocturnal item in the game either.
I've been playing this game for over a hundred hours and have finished the Fighters, Mages and Theives guild quests. Now I'm doing the Dark Brotherhood and loving every minute of it.
I loved the homage to big brother style reality shows. when there were only two contestants left I tricked one into killing the other. :lol Also, I've stolen the Mysterium Xarxes in the main quest and now people attack me sometimes when I enter the town pub.

Kabouter

MirageDwarf said:
Question for PC version: When I talk to somebody directly, voice is normal. Whenever I hear voices of people talking because I'm in that area, it sounds really different like some ****ing low quality encoding with single channel. Is it common?
It is not normal, it should sound the same as when you're talking to them.

Kintaro said:
Reading up on the Thieve's Guild quests. Woof, those are going to be tough. I picked Barbarian, and I sneak around like a Mac Truck. Hell, I suck balls at the Lockpick mini game. Oi vey am I horrible at that thing. =(

Yup, you'll have a hard time with most. However, here's a tip, when you do the quests, don't wear anything, just go nekkid. You shouldn't get into any fights anyway when you're doing thieves guilds quests (I'm halfway through, and have yet to touch my blade or bow) and heavy armour really increases your chances of getting caught. Other than that, guess you should just save a lot before missions and retry ;).

syllogism

A bit off but...

bkmask2gr2.jpg

eXistor

MaddenNFL64 said:
If you're late in the game, and your personality is high, you're kinda screwed. BUT there is an exploit (unless it was fixed with the patch, I dunno). I had to use this exploit to do her quest, since I was stuck in my pretty boy ways.

If I'm not mistaken
drink cheap wine to make personality go down

Blackface

Banned
Anyone know if you use Mods (like MMM and Fran) for Oblivion on the PC if it will conflict with the Expansion and force you have to start a new character to play it?

It kinda sucks that they have scheduled Live maintenance on the day of the release of the expansion. It's usually back up by the time I go home from work though, so hopefully it'll all be good.

Finally some DLC I really want, and almost no time to play this week, or the two following. Can't wait to explore a whole new area though.

Kabouter

Woohoo, just robbed the Leyawijn vault clean.
Got a magic robe, a magic ring, about 500 gold, a pair of magic gauntlets and a set of armour. Also some diamonds/rubies etc. Oh, and about 50 books of around 50 gold in value each. Was extremely hard though, probably used around 1000 gold worth of supplies to survive the encounter with the three guards (fought one at a time, can't nearly handle three at the same time). But in the end, was worth it. After fencing should give me around ~3000. And I've got reason to go back there someday too, as there's an Argonian statue with text on it that my character can't read, and I need to find a book for it somewhere else.

Tobor

Kung Fu Jedi said:
It kinda sucks that they have scheduled Live maintenance on the day of the release of the expansion. It's usually back up by the time I go home from work though, so hopefully it'll all be good.

Finally some DLC I really want, and almost no time to play this week, or the two following. Can't wait to explore a whole new area though.

Any chance of an early sneak attack release to avoid the downtime?

Tobor said:

It would be nice if they dropped it today, but I'm guessing it would be far more likely to get pushed back a day. Hope not for everyone else's sake, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised.

Tobor

Kung Fu Jedi said:
It would be nice if they dropped it today, but I'm guessing it would be far more likely to get pushed back a day. Hope not for everyone else's sake, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah, unfortunately. I just checked and it's not there as of 10AM Eastern.

Blackface

Banned
Direct2Drive lets you download and play it now I think. It says Pre-Order on the title but when you scroll down it has text saying that once you pay you can download it now.

Trax416 said:
Direct2Drive lets you download and play it now I think. It says Pre-Order on the title but when you scroll down it has text saying that once you pay you can download it now.

Awesome. PC users get on this and let us know how it is! :)

syllogism

Direct2drive version isn't compatible with OBSE which many awesome MODs make use of so it's not recommended. Also the website says D2D version will be available on thursday so it would be odd if it was up already.

eXistor

What level charcters do you folks have? I'm at 120 hours and have a level 37 character. As far as I know I won't be encountering any new enemies and armor and the like right?

I picked this up for PS3 and im loving it. I was kinda blah at first, because I really didnt know what to do. I stumbled on the Knights of the Nine quest and finished it Saturday. It was awesome. Im hooked now.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
eXistor said:
What level charcters do you folks have? I'm at 120 hours and have a level 37 character. As far as I know I won't be encountering any new enemies and armor and the like right?

I had read somewhere that the scaled level loot/enemies cap in the late 20's, but I am not positive. Just meaning you won't see new stuff, but the game still levels alongside the player, so an ogre you fight at 20 and then 35 will still have scaled stats.

Got rehooked myself, I hated the scaling system a year ago given my naivety with the skill system. Kinda like Baldurs Gate, I put a lot of effort into leveling personality which I assume would be huge for NPC chatter/vendors. Unfortunately, taking 5 multipliers in personality every level doesn't help in combat, and next thing you know my wimpy little thief/ranger type could not stand toe to toe with much of anything in the world. (Kvatch was impossible at that point).

Doing the 'kill shit with my sword' type now, and am blazing through. Now I need to figure out a way to level mysticism since I can't soul trap enemies unless it's level 25. (Need to soul trap to keep my magic sword charged).

Are there any lowbie mysticism spells around? I can't seem to find one to buy.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
bigfatgameguy said:
I picked this up for PS3 and im loving it. I was kinda blah at first, because I really didnt know what to do. I stumbled on the Knights of the Nine quest and finished it Saturday. It was awesome. Im hooked now.

Finished the out myself this weekend. Really solid questline with a few interesting puzzle dungeons. The equipment is pretty damn powerful too, so many buffs.

Brandon F said:
Doing the 'kill shit with my sword' type now, and am blazing through. Now I need to figure out a way to level mysticism since I can't soul trap enemies unless it's level 25. (Need to soul trap to keep my magic sword charged).

I want to say one of the Night Eye spells or perhaps Life Detect were Mysticism. I had to do the exact same thing for the exact same reason.

:D

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Reading about finding an innocent murder victim really brings back memories. I agonized over that decision for a long time after first getting the game. I knew that's how the DB questline was triggered, but I didn't want to ruin a future quest.

Finally, I got tired of waiting and ended up killing a scullery maid who worked in the kitchens in Anvil, I believe it was. She ended up dying sprawled on the main table, knocking various kitchen supplies to the floor. Later, I went back to visit, and several castle guards were sitting at the table eating, with her corpse sprawled in front of them :lol

Good times.

Kabouter

Big Nate said:
Reading about finding an innocent murder victim really brings back memories. I agonized over that decision for a long time after first getting the game. I knew that's how the DB questline was triggered, but I didn't want to ruin a future quest.

Finally, I got tired of waiting and ended up killing a scullery maid who worked in the kitchens in Anvil, I believe it was. She ended up dying sprawled on the main table, knocking various kitchen supplies to the floor. Later, I went back to visit, and several castle guards were sitting at the table eating, with her corpse sprawled in front of them :lol

Good times.

Hehe, for both my characters it's been a guard that I've killed. With my current char I had just gotten out of the sewers and was walking towards the road, saw a guard fighting with about 10 goblins, he almost died killing them. So of course, even though he was MUCH stronger than me, he was almost dead, so with a few potions and such I was able to take the last bit of his health. And I then of course proceeded to take all his armour, his sword and his horse. Great way to start the game :p.

syllogism said:
That is ahhhhh.............. ugly. I don't think I will play whole game with this character. :D

Brandon F said:
Go to mages guild that specialize in Mysticism. I'm sure you can buy low level spell from somebody there. I don't remember which guild is that. OK. I know this isn't helping...:)

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Brandon F said:

The spell store in the imperial marketplace has one you can buy. I believe the name of the store is "Edgar's Spells". Its on the main street through that section of the city.

GhaleonEB

Tobor said:
On yesterday's Major Nelson podcast, E (from the Live team) specified that Shivering Isles would go up shortly after the service would be turned back on. So, late afternoon, early evening Pacific time.

:(

Xenon

syllogism said:
It's just a mask for special occasions.

You should go sneaking around giving out poison apples in that.

At first I thought you had a moral objection. :lol I did for some reason. But by the end of the game I was wishing they added more moves for assassins like a "kill in their sleep" stab.. My wife could not even watch me play during any of the Db missions it creeped her out.

Kabouter

Xenon said:
You should go sneaking around giving out poison apples in that.

At first I thought you had a moral objection. :lol I did for some reason. But by the end of the game I was wishing they added more moves for assassins like a "kill in their sleep" stab.. My wife could not even watch me play during any of the Db missions it creeped her out.

I have to say, the early DB missions were fun, sure you were killing people, but it was never anything creepy. But nearing the end,
where you find the woman's rotting head and the guy strung up. Man, that was almost too much for me. I'm not a big fan of scenes like that I must say.
But all in all, I did think the Dark Brotherhood was the strongest questline in the game.

GhaleonEB said:
On yesterday's Major Nelson podcast, E (from the Live team) specified that Shivering Isles would go up shortly after the service would be turned back on. So, late afternoon, early evening Pacific time.

:(

Even later here in the Central Time zone. Which means it might be Wednesday before I would consider it, but then I'd only get one night to mess around with it, maybe two.

Kabouter said:
I have to say, the early DB missions were fun, sure you were killing people, but it was never anything creepy. But nearing the end,
where you find the woman's rotting head and the guy strung up. Man, that was almost too much for me. I'm not a big fan of scenes like that I must say.
But all in all, I did think the Dark Brotherhood was the strongest questline in the game.

Agreed. The Dark Brotherhood was the best. Thieves Guild was very good, and Mage Guild wasn't bad, but the Fighter's Guild was average at best for me. But the DB was so well written and plotted and the missions were creative and fun. Hope Shivering Isles has similar questlines.

GreekWolf

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Even later here in the Central Time zone. Which means it might be Wednesday before I would consider it, but then I'd only get one night to mess around with it, maybe two.
Grrr! Central time here too. If Shivering Isles isn't released by 8 PM Tuesday, the citizens of Bravil will pay dearly.

GreekWolf said:
Grrr! Central time here too. If Shivering Isles isn't released by 8 PM Tuesday, the citizens of Bravil will pay dearly.

LOL! Those bitches down in Skingrad will pay too. They better not make me go Kvatch on them! :D

Kabouter

Just found it, screenshots are pretty shitty so it's hard to say if it's done right. I'll probably check it out after I've done the Hero of Kvatch mission.

Top Bottom