• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

syllogism

Optimizations to file loading system.

In practice this seems to mean that instead of loading hundreds of objects at once every now and then, objects are constantly loaded in smaller chunks. Thus especially on slower PCs and on 360 there should be a noticable improvement in loading times. Average framerate probably slightly suffers though.

Kabouter

Solace1.jpg

Solace2.jpg

I love going as high up as possible to get a great view. Can you get to the top of the imperial palace? View from there should be awesome.

*FINALLY* made it to level two btw. Even though my total skill points are probably lower than what I started out with due to all the jail time.

*looks at Kabooter's pics*

I really hope the next Elder Scrolls game has that DOF effect from the onset. I know some people around here don't like it but I think it makes a world of difference.

Kabouter

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
*looks at Kabooter's pics*

I really hope the next Elder Scrolls game has that DOF effect from the onset. I know some people around here don't like it but I think it makes a world of difference.

Craziest thing is, the performance hit is nigh 0. And yeah, it's by far my favourite graphics mod. Takes away most of the ugly in the distance. And especially trees look soooooooooo good in the distance.

By the way, I've been meaning to ask. Do trees weave a lot in the wind in the default game? Because I LOVE that effect, makes the world really come alive. If it's in the default game, major props for Bethesda.

Banned
Well this might be interesting for the 360 users. I've been considering buying the PS3 version, as I've been wanting to get back into the game for some time now. I prefer to use stealth, but have always hated how dark the game is, which put me off going back to it. Of course I changed the brightness slider a bit before, turning it up a couple of notches, but could never get it to a setting I was happy with - it either felt too dark, or like I had it too high.

Well after the patch was released, I asked a friend to take some shots of the PC version with everything maxed, and at the default brightness, so I could get the 360 version looking as it should.

I couldn't believe just how much brighter the game was:

I have a fully calibrated monitor that I'm viewing these on (calibrated and verified with ColorEyes Display Pro) so I went and adjusted the 360's settings by eye until it matched. To get the same brightness levels as the PC on the 360 version, I have to turn up the slider two notches away from the max!

No longer do I need a torch in dungeons, and I can actually see properly at night. It has also made the game look a lot more natural, rather than having the garish colours I'm used to. (and hated)

As my TV is properly calibrated, the same setting should hopefully get you pretty close to looking "correct" if you're playing on a 360.

What did surprise me though, is that I then streamed Gamespot's PS3 video review to the TV via the 360. On my monitor, it looks just like all the screenshots - nice and bright with natural colours, but on the TV through the 360, it's as dark as Oblivion normally is. So it looks like, rather than being a problem with the game being too dark, as I had always assumed, it's actually the 360's output - and it's not simply a case of having to turn up the brightness control on my TV. (that just turns black grey)

I've tested with both Component and VGA and both seem to have this problem, though they are slightly different. My Wii, PS3 via HDMI and pretty much anything else I've hooked up to the TV, regardless of connection type, is fine, so it's not that the TV is the problem.

So for anyone considering picking up the PS3 version for the "brightness fix" it may just be a case of having to turn up the in-game slider to what seems like insane levels. (I would never normally turn it up that high)

I've never been too happy with the 360's output quality, so this has pretty much sold me on a HDMI equipped 360 as soon as they're available. (assuming they don't have the same problems)

I'm seeing all this stuff lately of how the 360 verison of Oblivion is too dark but I don't really get it. Caves, dungeons, etc. are supposed to be dark. There's a reason the game has spells like light, or items like catseye, and what do you suppose those torches are for? Turn up the brightness and all the sudden that stuff becomes usless. Honestly I prefer the darker, default settings.

obliv06.jpg

obliv05.jpg

obliv01.jpg

I think it adds to the atmosphere.

Kabouter said:
By the way, I've been meaning to ask. Do trees weave a lot in the wind in the default game? Because I LOVE that effect, makes the world really come alive. If it's in the default game, major props for Bethesda.

Yeah that's already in the game. I like how you can tell a storm is coming by how the wind blows through the trees harder.

Kabouter

Yeah that's already in the game. I like how you can tell a storm is coming by how the wind blows through the trees harder.
Exactly! It's a shame no other developers seem to use this, it seems like a relatively simply effect and it really makes the world come to life. That, and small touches like butterflies and birds flying around.

Kolgar

I'll try the brightness slider. I can appreciate darkness in a cave or dungeon, but frankly, on my Sammy HL-S, I couldn't see shit! Really hampered my enjoyment of the game in several instances. I was thinking the bulb in my TV may be settling down from its initial quasar brightness, but nope, it's just the game.

And what a game it is. Can't wait to download the patch tomorrow and fire up my latest save.

Banned
Unfortunately, my pics didn't turn out so well, but judging by yours, you have your backlight and brightness on the monitor set way too high, which might be why the default looks ok to you.

I'm seeing all this stuff lately of how the 360 verison of Oblivion is too dark but I don't really get it. Caves, dungeons, etc. are supposed to be dark. There's a reason the game has spells like light, or items like catseye, and what do you suppose those torches are for? Turn up the brightness and all the sudden that stuff becomes usless. Honestly I prefer the darker, default settings.

http://morphix.hotarubi.net/pics/obliv06.jpg

Default:
dscf3081ir2.jpg

Max -2:
dscf3078lc4.jpg

Still dark, like you would expect a sewer to be, but you can actually see something.

In your shot, blacks are totally washed out, which is what makes me think the monitor brightness is too high. You should load up a full black jpeg on the 360 and put your screen into 4:3 mode (if it has one) then turn down the brightness until it blends in with the sidebars. This gets your the best blacks your LCD can do, and will show you just how dark things from the 360 really are.

Default:
dscf3072vw0.jpg

Max -2:
dscf3071zy5.jpg

First six minutes of this week IGN weekly is showing different creatures from SI.

http://media.games.ign.com/articles/693/693580/vids_1.html

It's really cool.

BTW, does anybody know where can I get omod file for DarkUI mod? I got it with separate files. Tried to create omod using OBMM, but it didn't work. File was created. It stays activated but game UI is still old one. I've already installed v1.2 patch. I know it's installed without any problem because I reinstalled the game.

Kabouter

MirageDwarf said:
First six minutes of this week IGN weekly is showing different creatures from SI.

http://media.games.ign.com/articles/693/693580/vids_1.html

It's really cool.

BTW, does anybody know where can I get omod file for DarkUI mod? I got it with separate files. Tried to create omod using OBMM, but it didn't work. File was created. It stays activated but game UI is still old one. I've already installed v1.2 patch. I know it's installed without any problem because I reinstalled the game.

Yup, I have an omod file here.
Was part of this fantastic pack of mods (some are outdated, so check for that. But most of the stuff works, and more importantly, it all works together too. Except for the Book Jacket mod, activate that and your Oblivion won't boot. You can get the torrent for the pack here

[edit] You can find a list of all the mods and instructions here and an update here

Dot50Cal

Banned
Kabouter said:
*PICS*

I love going as high up as possible to get a great view. Can you get to the top of the imperial palace? View from there should be awesome.

*FINALLY* made it to level two btw. Even though my total skill points are probably lower than what I started out with due to all the jail time.

LINK. TO. MOD. NOW. Please!

Xdrive05

Kabouter said:
click me
Or did you mean the Depth of Field mod? In which case you have to click me.

Hey, guys, just wanted to let you know that this mod (Depth of Field) DOESN'T work with the new 1.2 patch. I'm not sure why, but I know it has something to do with the new modified shader #13 (thru trial and error). I've tried installing the mod BEFORE the patch, and I've tried it the other way around too, same bad results.

What it does is it causes the ground textures to be some weird, tiled, repeating image of another texture. The Depth of Field effect will work fine, but it's kind of pointless if you have to deal with the horrible texture glitch. I'll post a screenshot to demonstrate...

Xdrive05

Okay, this is what it does with the new patch:

ScreenShot1.jpg

Just so happens to be that the performance is a little better, but that's probably just because it only has to draw that sh!tty, unshaded texture for the detail texture surface of ALL the ground.

EDIT: just to clarify, this is only a problem with the new patch. If you're fine with playing without the patch, then go ahead and do this DOF mod, because in that case it will work just fine.

:)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just rolled up a mage and got him out of the starter dungeon. I'm going to play a pure caster for the first time for the expansion.

I'm so hyped. I can't WAIT for it! I hope it comes out on sunday night!

This game is so good... I even had fun playing through the starter dungeon for the third time. Seriously, Oblivion is up there with the best games I've ever played. I think it bumps Ultima 4 out of the top RPG spot for me.

GhaleonEB

FlyinJ said:
I just rolled up a mage and got him out of the starter dungeon. I'm going to play a pure caster for the first time for the expansion.

I'm so hyped. I can't WAIT for it! I hope it comes out on sunday night!

This game is so good... I even had fun playing through the starter dungeon for the third time. Seriously, Oblivion is up there with the best games I've ever played. I think it bumps Ultima 4 out of the top RPG spot for me.
I know what you mean. I created my new character a few days ago, and she's been begging me to take her out for a spin. So I did one dungeon last night, just did another. Just getting a few basics - some gold, some decent equipment, a few spells - before heading off into the expansion. Just exploring random dungeons and wandering about is as entertaining as ever.

Kabouter

Xdrive05 said:

Thanks for the warning mate, I'll hold off on patching tthen, don't really need it anyway.

GhaleonEB said:
I know what you mean. I created my new character a few days ago, and she's been begging me to take her out for a spin. So I did one dungeon last night, just did another. Just getting a few basics - some gold, some decent equipment, a few spells - before heading off into the expansion. Just exploring random dungeons and wandering about is as entertaining as ever.

Same wit hmy char, and I'm even discovering quests I never did before even though I sank like 150 hours into my first char. Either way, I'm having a lot of fun, especially since it's now a lot more difficult. Played at medium difficulty the first time through, now slightly below, but with a ****ton of mods. Even minimum difficulty is harder now. Really shows me what I was missing, have to use potions/poisons all the time now for instance and tough 1v1 fights can take minutes.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
so like, i need some help understanding the basics of this game:

when i find shit, what should i do with it? is it worthwhile to take everything i find?

if i store stuff in a crate, does a crate ever "fill up"?

do enemies or bodies of dead people ever disappear?

GhaleonEB

davepoobond said:
so like, i need some help understanding the basics of this game:

when i find shit, what should i do with it? is it worthwhile to take everything i find?
Because you run into the carry limit pretty quickly if you grab everything, you'll have to be selective. Most loot you will be snagging for the purpose of selling, while keeping the good stuff for yourself. So hang onto the stuff that has the best cost/weight ratio.

if i store stuff in a crate, does a crate ever "fill up"?
I don't think so. But, stuff you put in storage containers that are not in a house you own will disappear eventually.

do enemies or bodies of dead people ever disappear?
Yes, but it can take a while. I've had corpses hang around for many game-days before disappearing.

davepoobond

GhaleonEB said:
I don't think so. But, stuff you put in storage containers that are not in a house you own will disappear eventually.

agh!

if i keep going back to these crates will they still disappear?

when's the soonest i can get a house so i can put all of my stuff in there?

GhaleonEB

davepoobond said:
agh!

if i keep going back to these crates will they still disappear?

when's the soonest i can get a house so i can put all of my stuff in there?
You can buy a house at every town. The cheapest is in the Imperial capital. Go to the Market District, and find the government sign, don't recall the exact wording. The house is 2,000 gold, and with one upgrade (storage containers) you'll have 4 containers to use. I never filled them up, and used them to organize my stuff - one for weapons, one for books and keys, etc.

davepoobond

GhaleonEB said:
You can buy a house at every town. The cheapest is in the Imperial capital. Go to the Market District, and find the government sign, don't recall the exact wording. The house is 2,000 gold, and with one upgrade (storage containers) you'll have 4 containers to use. I never filled them up, and used them to organize my stuff - one for weapons, one for books and keys, etc.

ok, good to know.

now, i need to know how to make money. what's the best way to do so?

GhaleonEB

davepoobond said:
ok, good to know.

now, i need to know how to make money. what's the best way to do so?
In general, a few ways:

1) Go exploring, and hit up a few dungeons (ruins, caves, mines, forts, etc.). Loot galore contained within. There are ~200 of them in the game.

2) Do some quests, such as side-quests or factions. Most reward you with gold or loot.

3) Head to the Arena in the capital. They are bloodsport fights you join, and each fight gets you gold, and the amount goes up every few battles.

4) Join the Thieve's Guild and start stealing everything in sight, then sell them to your fence.

In terms of speed, the Arena is your best bet. You can do one fight after the other, and you get healed after each one.

davepoobond

GhaleonEB said:
In terms of speed, the Arena is your best bet. You can do one fight after the other, and you get healed after each one.

nice. i'll do that, don't want to lose all the stuff i have D:

also, what can you do with plates, bones, and stuff like that? i can't seem to sell them to the store :p

GhaleonEB

davepoobond said:
nice. i'll do that, don't want to lose all the stuff i have D:

also, what can you do with plates and stuff like that?
Not much. Stuff like that is mostly around for the NPCs to use and for versimilitude. Most of it doesn't even have a gold value attached, unless it's silver.

davepoobond

GhaleonEB said:
Not much. Stuff like that is mostly around for the NPCs to use and for versimilitude. Most of it doesn't even have a gold value attached, unless it's silver.

too bad, woulda wanted to throw it at people like in Thief.

what about clothing that doesn't have a defensive value? any point in those?

Kabouter

GhaleonEB said:

Yup, and those you can sell to the thieves guild fences if you've stolen 'em. Just started on the thieves guild quests for that reason, I have hundreds of pieces of silverware and gold shit in the storage chests in my house. Really needed to start fencing them :p.

There is one trick, if somebody doesn't have enough money to buy house and storage. I'm not saying it's guaranteed to work, but it's working for a long time for me.

If you drop an item on the ground, it stays there. I've dropped few of my weapons in back side of my house so that I don't have to go inside. And I've never seen NPCs going in that area or picking up that items. For exa. House in Anvil has nice space in the back which is perfect to drop items. Same is true for Imperial City house. And ground is pretty much clear so you can see your dropped items easily.

GhaleonEB

Kabouter said:
Yup, and those you can sell to the thieves guild fences if you've stolen 'em. Just started on the thieves guild quests for that reason, I have hundreds of pieces of silverware and gold shit in the storage chests in my house. Really needed to start fencing them :p.
By the time I was done with my thief, I was well into the thousands in objects stolen (and fenced). For some reason I took pride in raiding the tables of the rich and poor - not even a fork left. A few times I swapped them - I'd take the clay stuff in a shack and replace it with silver, then put the clay stuff in a wealthy home. I kinda got into the role playing agle at times. :lol

Kabouter

GhaleonEB said:
By the time I was done with my thief, I was well into the thousands in objects stolen (and fenced). For some reason I took pride in raiding the tables of the rich and poor - not even a fork left. A few times I swapped them - I'd take the clay stuff in a shack and replace it with silver, then put the clay stuff in a wealthy home. I kinda got into the role playing agle at times. :lol

:lol
Well I don't really rob the poor, no reward there :p.
Only food I rob everywhere (upping alchemy skill :p). But when I'm on a mission in a house and I see something that's slightly valuable I usually just take it :p

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I managed to track down the game for rent for PS2. I'm pretty impressed. At the same time, a bit overwhelmed a tad. I started a Redguard Barbarian. I figured it sounded cool. I only have the equip I came out of the Imperial Prison with though (will I raided this Fort, but nothing big in there).

The place I rented from, doesn't give the manual with it (savages) so I'm adjusting to all the different skills and how to level them. =/ I'll check the website later to see if it offers the information up there (such as the key skills for my class and how to level them and such).

Kintaro said:
I managed to track down the game for rent for PS2. I'm pretty impressed. At the same time, a bit overwhelmed a tad. I started a Redguard Barbarian. I figured it sounded cool. I only have the equip I came out of the Imperial Prison with though (will I raided this Fort, but nothing big in there).

The place I rented from, doesn't give the manual with it (savages) so I'm adjusting to all the different skills and how to level them. =/ I'll check the website later to see if it offers the information up there (such as the key skills for my class and how to level them and such).
Bookmark this website. It's a good one: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:How_to_level

Kabouter

Was just robbing a few houses to bring my total fenced amount up so I could start the next mission. Turns out, the last house I robbed (and I robbed that house CLEAN) belonged to the person I have to do a mission for next :lol. The fence is a total rip-off btw :(, I have to sell at 29% value :(.

It never occurred to me but I tried this today. You can sleep in the bed even when somebody is sleeping. I wished if game would show me little bit fun thing after I sleep in the bed. :D

I installed Solace mod. It's great. Feels safe when you are on the tree-house. :)

JCBossman

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

This is OBLIVION!, NOT Freaken Martha Stwart, Just throw open the door to your house and dump the shit in HEAPING piles, everywhere.

MaddenNFL64

But the game only allows 256 MB of clutter before the dreaded loot bag pops up. (For 360, PC users get a gig of clutter :( ). Organized loot chests FTW!

JCBossman

Banned
I ONLY keep Dadatic/Enchanted gear and weapons and potions/stones,Oh and MOTHER'S Head(I keep it on my pillow)my character is named NORMAN so it's OK.The chance of hitting that limit is small, besides spread the wealth, my favorite has is the house in Skingrad, the Master Bedroom has alot of space.

MaddenNFL64

If there are too many objects in a cell, the game makes a loot bag in the center of it that sucks up all dropped items into it. So, it's not 'dreaded', just unpleasant if you want piles of crap in one area.

Kabouter

MaddenNFL64 said:
If there are too many objects in a cell, the game makes a loot bag in the center of it that sucks up all dropped items into it. So, it's not 'dreaded', just unpleasant if you want piles of crap in one area.

Ah I've never run into that I must say, doesn't seem like much of a problem anyway.

MaddenNFL64

I think I keep Mother's head in Anvil, since thats where I found it. I never did the trick where you
drop her head in front of the DB betrayer (her son), and he starts saying crazy shit about her

Kabouter

MaddenNFL64 said:
I think I keep Mother's head in Anvil, since thats where I found it. I never did the trick where you
drop her head in front of the DB betrayer (her son), and he starts saying crazy shit about her

:eek:. I never knew that.
Goddammit :(. Opportunity for awesomeness missed :(.

MaddenNFL64 said:

One of the most frighting moments for me in a video game was when you first find that I kept thinking
He's going to creep up on me, he's going to kill me

I loved that whole quest line, it started off like some black comedy then just went freaky and scary as shit towards the end, when you walk into the cabin and they've strung the poor dude up, ohhhh man.

Does anyone know when shivering isle is coming to the XBL marketplace?

Top Bottom