• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

pilonv1

Does the Shivering Ilse interact in any way with the original game? Are there quests that require you to travel between them? I'm just hoping the expansion isn't completely disjointed from the main game.

Damn being at work thinking about Oblivion. I still need to finish Knights of the Nine too.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well this totally sucks. My download gets to 17%, sits for a while, then i get an error message saying it can't download it. I've deleted the file and restarted it, no luck.

Anyone got any hints as to how to fix this, or is it simply a "keep trying" sort of thing?

FrankT

Big Nate said:
Well this totally sucks. My download gets to 17%, sits for a while, then i get an error message saying it can't download it. I've deleted the file and restarted it, no luck.

Anyone got any hints as to how to fix this, or is it simply a "keep trying" sort of thing?

I kept getting this as well, but I just restarted the download each time and it was further along than it was when it got stuck, so I'd say just keep at it.

a Master Ninja said:
Seriously? I thought it released last week. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and download it. I apologize for my ignorance.
Are you sure? I thought you were asking opinions from PC gamers who have obtained the game from methods not taught by any Jedi.

relyt9

Hey got a question for you guys.

If I download this expansion pack, is the original game required because I have it loaned out right now to a buddy and was wondering if it could stand alone or if it needs the original game to play. Thanks!

dream

If I download this expansion pack, is the original game required because I have it loaned out right now to a buddy and was wondering if it could stand alone or if it needs the original game to play.

You need the original game.

GhaleonEB

relyt9 said:
Hey got a question for you guys.

If I download this expansion pack, is the original game required because I have it loaned out right now to a buddy and was wondering if it could stand alone or if it needs the original game to play. Thanks!
You enter Shivering Isles from a portal in the main world, pretty sure you need the game.

Just got 100%. Can't play for two hours yet (family time), but I'm pretty excited. Thanks for the early birthday present, Bethesda!

dream said:
master ninja: Historically, Elder Scrolls expansion packs are more than worth the price.

Good to know, I never played any of the Morrowind expansions. I Am Error got me curious though, did pirates manage their hands on this already?

purg3

slept with Malkin
GhaleonEB said:
You enter Shivering Isles from a portal in the main world, pretty sure you need the game.

Just got 100%. Can't play for two hours yet (family time), but I'm pretty excited. Thanks for the early birthday present, Bethesda!

Family time?! THIS. IS. OBLIVION!... expansion pack

Clevinger

a Master Ninja said:
I'm pretty sure Bethesda likes the autoscaling, and would never remove it.

I believe they said they didn't want to change the core mechanics of the game for SI because it would screw up the PC mods. Pete Hines, their PR/Marketing guy defends the autoscaling (of course he does, he's the PR/Marketing guy), but I'm sure most of the developers, at least secretly, recognize it as a mistake (or rather, it could have been a good feature if it was handled much, much better).

Clevinger said:
I believe they said they didn't want to change the core mechanics of the game for SI because it would screw up the PC mods. Pete Hines, their PR/Marketing guy defends the autoscaling (of course he does, he's the PR/Marketing guy), but I'm sure most of the developers, at least secretly, recognize it as a mistake (or rather, it could have been a good feature if it was handled much, much better).

That's encouraging for ESV at least.

I caved! I bought it and it's sitting on my harddrive. I want to play, but so many other things to do. Maybe get some time in later tonight, hopefully tomorrow. I so want to explore this new chunk of land! :)

Funny, I started playing World of Warcraft and Oblivion around the same time and now the expansion for both requires you to enter a portal to reach the new content.

I bought it and played for a little bit. I don't know how to put this....it looks good. But there is definitely not that attention to detail as in the normal game. There is massive clipping problems, I have walked through a lot of branches. The encounters are not really well-thought out, and the new enemies are cheap. For example, this one new enemy knocks you unconscious over and over and over and over again. Another enemy keeps causing your guy to get "shell-shock" after hitting him, no matter what.

Also the shitty FPS, and the stuttering are not helping either.

I feel burned. Really, really burned.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
thundersabre said:
Funny, I started playing World of Warcraft and Oblivion around the same time and now the expansion for both requires you to enter a portal to reach the new content.

That's just bonkers. They should have made it a green pipe.

FlyinJ said:
That's just bonkers. They should have made it a green pipe.
Larion.jpg
Muigin.jpg

purg3

slept with Malkin
snack said:
I bought it and played for a little bit. I don't know how to put this....it looks good. But there is definitely not that attention to detail as in the normal game. There is massive clipping problems, I have walked through a lot of branches. The encounters are not really well-thought out, and the new enemies are cheap. For example, this one new enemy knocks you unconscious over and over and over and over again. Another enemy keeps causing your guy to get "shell-shock" after hitting him, no matter what.

Also the shitty FPS, and the stuttering are not helping either.

I feel burned. Really, really burned.

Are you using a brand new character,or a leveled one? Strange about the attention to detail you speak of, I guess I will have to see for myself when my download finishes in a few minutes.

purgeface said:
Are you using a brand new character,or a leveled one? Strange about the attention to detail you speak of, I guess I will have to see for myself when my download finishes in a few minutes.
I am using a leveled one. I don't know why I am not digging this because, I put 40 hours in to my current character, and 80 hours into my first guy. So, this is coming from a huge Oblivion fan.

Ok, so I had to go take a look inside. So far it looks impressive. Graphics are nice and smooth, and there is a bad ass creature to fight right off the bat. Awesome intro do the new realm too I might add. :)

purg3

slept with Malkin
Wow, I'm in love with Oblivion again. I'm exploring the fringe right now, and this place is freaking awesome. I can't wait to explore some more. Also, anyone else go nuts picking up the new ingredients and plants yet, I got a bit sidetracked doing so lol.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The add on is fantastic so far. Great art direction, new monsters... the people I've met so far have been awesome. The writing is very good as well. I'm almost getting a Planescape vibe from it.

However, it's been an absolute cakewalk so far for my Level 2 mage. One hit with the "weak fireball" spell and monsters go down.

Quazar

WOW at the really slow Dl speed for SI. Sucks, was hoping to play it tonight. Is this problem occuring for everyone? I assume many are DLing it.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well, I'm giving up for the night. After over 20 restarts and ~4 hours of trying, it just won't go past 52% before failing.

You'd think Microsoft, of all companies, could handle some bandwidth...

Norse

FlyinJ said:
The add on is fantastic so far. Great art direction, new monsters... the people I've met so far have been awesome. The writing is very good as well. I'm almost getting a Planescape vibe from it.

However, it's been an absolute cakewalk so far for my Level 2 mage. One hit with the "weak fireball" spell and monsters go down.

you can slide the difficulty slider up to ake it harder.

raYne

I finished DL'ing it, but I'm gonna save it for tomorrow (well, today heh). I don't think starting a new journey to an unexplored world is the best thing to do when you're half asleep. :lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm waiting until I get some word on size/length before taking the plunge. I have my doubts that it's truly half size of Tamriel and it's questlines, even though it's half the price...

Jonnyram

GDJustin said:
I'm waiting until I get some word on size/length before taking the plunge. I have my doubts that it's truly half size of Tamriel and it's questlines, even though it's half the price...
What a crazy way to measure things.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Bethesda really did a great job with the dialog in Shivering Isles, especially for Sheogorath. The stuff that guy says is off the wall, I love it :lol. Well that's enough for tonight, so tired right now. Definitely money well spent.

FrankT

purgeface said:
Bethesda really did a great job with the dialog in Shivering Isles, especially for Sheogorath. The stuff that guy says is off the wall, I love it :lol. Well that's enough for tonight, so tired right now. Definitely money well spent.

Indeed, the storyline is superb so far. It really is sucking me in and the twists and turns are really something else. Funny stuff no doubt while seriously weird all packed into one.

KarishBHR

The patch that I was asked to download when I booted oblivion tonight, was that the patch that they've been talking about with imporved draw distance and such?

Top Bottom