• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Xdrive05

Screw it. I'm buying this ASAP on Tuesday.

I was on the fence since I don't have the highest end PC (it was highest end about a year ago) or a 360, but that video totally sold me. Even if I have to play 800x600 or 1024x768 on highest settings, it would still be totally worth it.

Hype >>>> me. I give.

Congrats to Bethesda. You guys earned it.

Orodreth

GameSpot's first-ever Live Gameplay Marathon begins Monday, March 20, featuring The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Expect written hands-on impressions, HD gameplay videos, and high-resolution images of the game to appear on GameSpot next week. However, to be among the first to experience Oblivion in raw, unfiltered form, and to get impressions directly from one of our editors as he plays, you'll have to tune in to our live feed.

edit: Opss, it was already posted.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Have the hard drive optimizations been explained yet? Are load times much better if you have a HD on your 360?

All I've read is that "they would be using it", but no explanation how...

FlyinJ said:
Have the hard drive optimizations been explained yet? Are load times much better if you have a HD on your 360?

All I've read is that "they would be using it", but no explanation how...

i thinks its been said that the load times willbe faster with HD.

Count Chocula said:
The video didn't exactly sell me on it. Sound fx were still a mess and It looks like Morrowind with better gfx. Not the world beating GOTY I was expecting. Oh well.

So, even though it has quests like this

And even though the Size of the world is now 16 square miles NOT INCLUDING dungeons and the plane of Oblivion which is randomly generated, and those 16 miles is bigger than ALL of morrowind.

And even though the AI, is vastly improved and works with quests to make them more interesting

The quests and dungeons are way more creative than they ever were in Morrowind.

And the fact that the combat is vastly improved over Morrowind (sup steve)

Fission Mailed, and my Dagoth have mercy on your soul

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
flarkminator said:
So, even though it has quests like this

And even though the Size of the world is now 16 square miles NOT INCLUDING dungeons and the plane of Oblivion which is randomly generated, and those 16 miles is bigger than ALL of morrowind.

And even though the AI, is vastly improved and works with quests to make them more interesting

The quests and dungeons are way more creative than they ever were in Morrowind.

And the fact that the combat is vastly improved over Morrowind (sup steve)

Fission Mailed, and my Dagoth have mercy on your soul

Not to mention the fact that all of this, the visuals, the NPCs, how they act, all go towards Morrowind's biggest flaws: (not) being a living world. If that alone isn't immersion, I dunno what is.

Great post, by the way. :lol

Oblivion needs death animations... yeah crumbling into a heap is cool, but where's the bloody cry and last gasp? Man, that would have kicked ass.

Pimpbaa

The combat looks so much more satisfying in oblivion compared to morrowind. The creatures look so much more better designed too. I can't believe that Bethesda got this out as soon as they did with it being so much more improved in graphic detail and gameplay (going by the videos and impressions). It only took them around 4 years (maybe less considering they were working on expansion packs for morrowind after it was released) Was there like a massive increase in development team size? Kinda baffling that a certain developer can't get a certain first person shooter out even tho it's been in development around 8+ years.

Pimpbaa said:
The combat looks so much more satisfying in oblivion compared to morrowind. The creatures look so much more better designed too. I can't believe that Bethesda got this out as soon as they did with it being so much more improved in graphic detail and gameplay (going by the videos and impressions). It only took them around 4 years (maybe less considering they were working on expansion packs for morrowind after it was released) Was there like a massive increase in development team size? Kinda baffling that a certain developer can't get a certain first person shooter out even tho it's been in development around 8+ years.

Pete said Morrowind's dev team was around 30, while Oblivion's is at 100 or so.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I swear. Now I have a dilemma.

Is the game worth 60 bucks if I get it tomorrow, or 45 bucks if I get it on Tuesday at Best Buy. I have gift card money for both (that's all I request as gifts during my b-day and Xmas).

EB just automated called me telling me the game will be in the store available in the afternoon. Those bastards!

Should I be patient and save 15 bucks? Man, this is so hard. This wait has been killing me.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Dr_Cogent said:

Is the game worth 60 bucks if I get it tomorrow, or 45 bucks if I get it on Tuesday at EB. I have gift card money for both (that's all I request as gifts during my b-day and Xmas).

EB just automated called me telling me the game will be in the store available in the afternoon. Those bastards!

Should I be patient and save 15 bucks? Man, this is so hard. This wait has been killing me.

You're gonna be playing it for months so whats one day?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Ghost said:

You underestimate my gaming fanatasicm.

It also could be more than one day. What if I somehow get hosed and Best Buy sells out?

I could have it tomorrow. TOMORROW! :lol

SnakeXs

Dr_Cogent said:

Weaksauce gamers just don't get it. :lol

I keed, I keed.

I dunno, March is a toughie, and if you've bought/will buy more soon 15 could help a lot, but if you're slowing down now and 15 isn't a big deal, go for it.

You know you're gonna.

Dr_Cogent said:

I wouldn't save $15.. I'd rather have a day of playing the game >.>

In my case, I haven't received a call from EB.. but I've heard that Best Buy stores will have the game tomorrow.. so I'm tempted to grab one from Best Buy and cancel my EB pre-order if they have it.

Wolffen

Ghost said:

Definitely true. I probably won't be able to pick the game up until Weds since I'm getting it at Target (gift cards FTW!), but I won't be able to spend much time w/it until the 27th. I've waited this long, I can wait a little bit longer.

Cogent: you're married, right? You should wait so you can save the $15, and spend the $15 on a small gift and card for the wife, to apologize for all the time you'll be spending w/Oblivion. :)

Robobandit said:
I wouldn't save $15.. I'd rather have a day of playing the game >.>

In my case, I haven't received a call from EB.. but I've heard that Best Buy stores will have the game tomorrow.. so I'm tempted to grab one from Best Buy and cancel my EB pre-order if they have it.

have i missed something? i thought that the official release date was tomorrow (march 20.) i've been super confused with the countdowns and everyone here talking like it was coming out on tuesday. i just got my call from gamestop telling me i could pick up the game tomorrow afternoon.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Dr_Cogent said:

It also could be more than one day. What if I somehow get hosed and Best Buy sells out?

I could have it tomorrow. TOMORROW! :lol

Just trying to help. ;)

Hey, if you dont buy it tomorrow you can spend the extra time inventing reasons to not talk to or see anyone for the next few weeks.

I have my 4 day 'business trip' lined up for next weekend :D

Orodreth

I think i read somewhere ( here maybe ) that there will be pets in the game. How much was that aspect developed ?

Also, i´m not sure about NPC companions or if you can contract mercenaries

PS: Pimpbaa, great avatar but hiromi is still the best.

Well, I called my best buy.. the guy said they're on the truck on the way to the store now. and it should arrive either later tonight or tomorrow morning.

So I think I'll swing by Best Buy in the morning to see if they've got them :)

screw EB.. I'll get my $65 cash back :lol

neuroticphil said:
have i missed something? i thought that the official release date was tomorrow (march 20.) i've been super confused with the countdowns and everyone here talking like it was coming out on tuesday. i just got my call from gamestop telling me i could pick up the game tomorrow afternoon.

EB has told me the 21st.. it officially "ships" on the 20th.. so any EB that is getting it tomorrow is more than likely sending a manager to the airport to pick up the shipment and bring it back to the store.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Robobandit said:
Well, I called my best buy.. the guy said they're on the truck on the way to the store now. and it should arrive either later tonight or tomorrow morning.

So I think I'll swing by Best Buy in the morning to see if they've got them :)

screw EB.. I'll get my $65 cash back :lol

Ooooooh. Maybe I will head on into Best Buy tomorrow. I could still hose EB.

TheDuce22

Banned
Bestbuy is getting it first? So EB is totally useless now. No return policy, no price matching, never any sales.... how do they stay in buisness?

_Angelus_

Banned
Here in Central California (Fresno) the Sunday paper says Best Buy,Circuit City,and Target are all getting the game on Wednesday,hmmm.

I received no call from Software Etc., though the manager guaranteed me they would have it on Monday(Visalia store.)

No big deal,Monday or Tuesday is fine.

_Angelus_

Banned
TheDuce22 said:
Bestbuy is getting it first? So EB is totally useless now. No return policy, no price matching, never any sales.... how do they stay in buisness?

Probably because you can buy and return used games. I want Quake 4 (360) alot but am afraid to buy it incase I hate it. As soon as the store gets it in used I'll be all over that. I think thats probably GameStop's biggest weapon.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I doubt midwest and west coast stores will get it before the 21st. It would be really great, but I doubt it will happen.

atomsk

Party Pooper
TheTrin said:
I doubt midwest and west coast stores will get it before the 21st. It would be really great, but I doubt it will happen.

i'm in peoria IL, and i just got the call.

not to mention the managers are driving to indiana tomorrow to go get it from the airport.

it'll be in after 5pm. so i'm headed to the mall right after work.

cant wait

TheTrin said:

That statement shook me to the core, so I called my local metro Detroit EB. They assured me that they are driving out to pick it up and will have it in 5 or 6pm tomorrow. Here's hoping they keep their word.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Robobandit said:

Sweetness, thanks. I cannot wait for Oblivion. I just hope my 360 VGA cables don't unnecessarily letterbox the game on my monitor. (So far, the only game that doesn't letterbox at high resoutions on my monitor is DOA4).

atomsk said:
i'm in peoria IL, and i just got the call.

not to mention the managers are driving to indiana tomorrow to go get it from the airport.

it'll be in after 5pm. so i'm headed to the mall right after work.

cant wait

I'm in Boulder CO. If it comes in then, I'll be super happy. I have Metal Gear 2 to play if it doesn't, though.

Scott

TheTrin said:
I'm in Boulder CO.
Heh, small world. Thornton/Northglenn area, here. :p

Anyway, 'fraid I'm stuck store hopping, or I'm not getting a copy of the CE... I basically put off pre-ordering as I wasn't sure I'd be able to afford it, and.. well, I really can't, but this morning I got ahold of a credit card finally to be able to pay for it when it comes in. So I go to GameStop to pre-order to find out, well... they're sold out already. As is EBGames. Come back home and check online, same thing for both. *sighs*

I know it's my fault, and I should have pre-ordered sooner anyway, but.. I guess I'm just too careful with my money, and didn't want to have a copy in for me and be like "Well fuck, I can't even afford this." Doesn't help that I'm a week late in receiving payment for some work I did, either... :\

Oh well, here's hoping store hopping will go all "bank error in [my] favor," and I'll be able to score a copy still. :p

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I hope best buy gets in tomorrow. I had to place a preorder (first time I've ever done that) with some smarmy gamestop kid who, after I asked "when is Olbivion coming out for xbox 360", replied "Tuesday or Wednesday, but you have to preorder, or else you won't get it". I almost left the store right there - if you're going to try and get a customer to buy a game, don't flat out lie and act like a little bitch about it. Nothing I would love more than picking the game up at BB and then walking in and telling that little bitch to cancel my preorder.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Dr_Cogent said:

Is the game worth 60 bucks if I get it tomorrow, or 45 bucks if I get it on Tuesday at Best Buy. I have gift card money for both (that's all I request as gifts during my b-day and Xmas).

My suggestion: buy the $60 one tomorrow. Then, sometime this week, go to Best Buy, get the $45 one, and return it to EB using your receipt.

That's what I would be doing...if the fucking cocksuckers at Gamestop were getting it tomorrow. Lazy bastards!

Draft

So amid all the excitement over whether Oblivion looks better on the X360 or the PC, did anyone with a preview copy of the PC version decide to benchmark it?

Cause I don't really care which one has the longest draw distance by .001 meters. What I care is whether or not my trusy old 9800 Pro / Athlon 3200 / Gig'o'ram is going to chock and die upon stepping out of the prison.

SnakeXs

Draft said:
So amid all the excitement over whether Oblivion looks better on the X360 or the PC, did anyone with a preview copy of the PC version decide to benchmark it?

Cause I don't really care which one has the longest draw distance by .001 meters. What I care is whether or not my trusy old 9800 Pro / Athlon 3200 / Gig'o'ram is going to chock and die upon stepping out of the prison.

Did you see the German pics that run a fairly similar rig? You have a better CPU, but I think you'll get similar results. It's a page back, I think.

Speevy

Banned
Why are reviews not coming out until Tuesday? Seems like we should see them tomorrow (heck, I would have liked to see them tonight, like the other Sunday reviews)

Speevy said:
Why are reviews not coming out until Tuesday? Seems like we should see them tomorrow (heck, I would have liked to see them tonight, like the other Sunday reviews)

i think print mags get the exclusive reviews or something. Yes its pretty retarded that we dont get any reviews b4 the game is released.

"Cause I don't really care which one has the longest draw distance by .001 meters. What I care is whether or not my trusy old 9800 Pro / Athlon 3200 / Gig'o'ram is going to chock and die upon stepping out of the prison."

According to that german site, it'll look roughly like those pictures with a decent framerate.

Top Bottom