• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

raYne said:
That was the first Quest I did when I got to Crucible.

Just follow him around in the afternoon/evening.
He should go up to the top of the 3(?) flights of stairs leading to the Palace. You should have an opportunity to push him off without any negative circumstances.
That's what I did.

What??? That's it! Man, I didn't expect easy solution that's why I was confused. I was always trying to
kill him from distance, hiding behind building, with spell or something. Even tried frenzy spell on people around him, which ended up being deadly for them poor guys. I thought pushing him off would be considered crime since there is one guard standing next to him always.
Sometimes solution is much simple than you think.

BTW people have found another dupe glitch. I never use this kind of glitch, but I was thinking of starting a new game just to use this glitch to create something funny. Like boost acrobatics upto 1000, and jump to the top of Imperial white tower.

GreekWolf

Ebrocca is quite possibly the best dungeon ever created in a Western RPG.

If you ever wanted to know how it would feel to explore a classic 1970's Dungeons & Dragons scenario... this is it.

MirageDwarf said:
Generally, if someone is following you, and if you talk to that person, you get an option to choose either to allow him/her to follow or to wait.
There's only two conversation options, neither of which lead to a "leave my the **** alone" sort of command.

GhaleonEB

GreekWolf said:
Ebrocca is quite possibly the best dungeon ever created in a Western RPG.

If you ever wanted to know how it would feel to explore a classic 1970's Dungeons & Dragons scenario... this is it.
Which dungoen is that? Is it part of a quest, or just a random one?

In general, the dungeon designs in Shivering Isles are a BIG step up from the main game. Some of the optional, random dungoens have been simply immense and a lot of fun to explore.

I just started playing oblivion on my 360 for the first time today, compared to my pc performance is like double and things move smooth now :lol

After leaving the game for a year it still looks extremely nice.

Haunted

Goddamn. I didn't touch this game since I was finished with it the month after it was released... Now after installing Shivering Isles, I am reminded how ****ing gorgeous that game is. Breathtaking. I just made a new character to explore this new island/world.

raYne

GhaleonEB said:

In general, the dungeon designs in Shivering Isles are a BIG step up from the main game. Some of the optional, random dungoens have been simply immense and a lot of fun to explore.
Southeast of Highcross, if I recall correctly. I think there's a part of it that's related to a Quest, but the majority of it's just there to explore.

I totally agree with your thoughts about the dungeons. They're a huge step up from those in normal Oblivion.

Banjo Tango said:
2 - There's a naked man following her around named "Carodis Oholin" that she picked up in "Knights of the Nine", and she CAN'T get rid of him. If she kills him, he just comes back... and this is putting a damper on her vampiric lifestyle, since he'll follow her into a house and start crying if she bites someone.
:lol! I'm sorry, but that's hilarious.

GreekWolf

GhaleonEB said:

It's both, actually. I don't want to give away too much as not to ruin the OMGWTFBBQ experience.

I'll give you three hints -

1. Search Mania, in the area north of the Jester's Spine.

2. You'll have to do some poking around to figure out how to get in.

3. Ebrocca
Crematorium

Bildi

Just popping in to bitch about HDR and blown highlights. I ran into the juggler in Bliss for the first time and it's like she has a torch shining out of her forehead.

Otherwise, I quite like it. I've very thankful that Dementia isn't really dark (I hate the whole light/dark world thing in games because you usually just want to get out of the dark crap). I've spent most of my time in Dementia so far and don't find I want to just get away from it.

I like that things are a bit more densely packed and there's more 'bits of stuff' around to decorate things. I've only been to Bliss and Crucible but I like that they're more compact and therefore don't feel quite as 'lifeless'.

It also got me to finish a few quests in Oblivion, mainly the Dark Brotherhood. Unfortunately I still can't finish the fighter's guild because they haven't fixed the door bug that stuffs up the Azani Blackheart quest. :(

I have such a love/hate relationship with this game. :lol

GhaleonEB

So. The Knights that come out of the oblisks.

An NPC told me that their hearts will close the oblisks, so I set out to close one tonight for fun. I had two hearts left, and thought I needed three. I find an oblisk, kill two Knights of Order, and take their hearts. I use them to close shut down the oblisk - yay! The glow stops, it shuts down. There's another Knight running around, so I take him out. I turn around and the oblisk is back up and running! And there's FOUR Knights running at me.

I take them out, and close it again. Jesus! Finally! I get a few steps away, hear a *whoosh* sound, and it's back open! And FIVE of those mother****ers are after me! I take them out and just run for my sweet dwindling life. I'm nearly out of healing potions, can't carry any more loot and my weapons and armor are nearly all broken.

What's the point of closing them if they just open up again? If I find one with one of those mages, and kill him during the brief window the oblisk is shut, is it worth it? That was going to be my next goal, but not if it's a repeat of this nightmare.

Just got a random quest note about a bunch of ghosts. I get there and they're duking it out big time - then turn on me. :lol

Not sure what to do there, but it's interesting. Gonna poke around some more tomorrow. Every which way I turn, new stuff is showing up. No end in sight.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
so um, this dude in Chaydinhal who teaches you some skill or whatever, and is purpotedly an important part of the community (he's a black dude with corn rows) was sneakin around, and i guess he tried to steal a horse, and then he got his ass killed by the stables owner and a legion soldier.

it was an axe and a sword vs. his bare fists.

what. the. ****.

i stole all his clothes and stuff though. i don't understand why this dude is dead now though. i'll never be able to train with him again.

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
So. The Knights that come out of the oblisks.
-snip-
Err.. they don't. The only reason it kept reactivating is because you left the Priest alive/conscious. If given the chance, he removes the hearts or uses them to summon more Knights.

GhaleonEB

davepoobond said:
so um, this dude in Chaydinhal who teaches you some skill or whatever, and is purpotedly an important part of the community (he's a black dude with corn rows) was sneakin around, and i guess he tried to steal a horse, and then he got his ass killed by the stables owner and a legion soldier.

it was an axe and a sword vs. his bare fists.

what. the. ****.

i stole all his clothes and stuff though. i don't understand why this dude is dead now though. i'll never be able to train with him again.
Same thing happeded to me. I saw him pickpocket this girl hoeing in the garden. She ran to the guards, they kicked his ass. I guess he's just got a naughty streak in him, though I wish he wasn't a trainer.

GhaleonEB

raYne said:
Err.. they don't. The only reason it kept reactivating is because you left the Priest alive/conscious.
There was no priest. Every time I killed all the Knights, the "battle music" stopped for a few moments. He wasn't around.

But I think that answers my other question - time to find that SOB that ran me halfway accross the entire Shivering Isles the other night. :lol

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
There was no priest. Every time I killed all the Knights, the "battle music" stopped for a few moments. He wasn't around.

But I think that answers my other question - time to find that SOB that ran me halfway accross the entire Shivering Isles the other night. :lol
There's always at least one Priest. It's just that in this case he just didn't see you. I've had the same similar things happen to me. ie He could've gone off to fight some random monster or you could be just out of his line of sight/hearing distance. They don't have to come in physical contact with the obelisks to control them either.

The battle music isn't really an indication as it's tied to you being spotted/in battle. Not to there being enemies around... You should know that by now. ;)

bengraven

You have a choice to be Duke of Mania or Dementia and can not become the other?

THANK YOU BABY JESUS.

This is what I've been crying about this this ****ing thread started. Some of you may remember: I want something akin to choosing a House in Morrowind.

Please remember this Bethesda. How about a Houses of Cyrodiil DLC? :lol

GhaleonEB

raYne said:
There's always at least one Priest. It's just that in this case he just didn't see you. I've had the same similar things happen to me. ie He could've gone off to fight some random monster or you could be just out of his line of sight/hearing distance. They don't have to come in physical contact with the obelisks to control them either.

The battle music isn't really an indication as it's tied to you being spotted/in battle. Not to there being enemies around... You should know that by now. ;)
I do know that. :p

I fought a total of ~11 of those Knights. We slugged it out on all sides of the oblisk, ran off into the woods, circled around. If the Priest was in a 50 yard+ radius of it he'd have spotted me. Must have gone for a nice stroll. :lol

I DID get some tasty revenge on the one who whomped me earlier. Bugger had 31 hearts and a nice staff on him. The oblisk served as a treasure chest as well once closed, lots of loot in there. Felt good to turn the tables for once.

I've run into four dungeons now with locked or "magically sealed" doors. I'm deep in the depths of one in the middle of the land, near the three small lakes. Theres a magically sealed door, but I've been able to explore a huge part of the place. Hit a few buttons that don't seem to do anything, so I'm assuming I just missed one. I like that there's lots of places that are not too obvious how to beat.

MaddenNFL64

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the dupe glitch wasn't completely fixed. You use scrolls instead of arrows now :p. Check the official forums.

And i'm the Duke of Mania bitches. Let's all eat greenmote, recite bad poetry, and die of heart failure! :D

Jonnyram

I just did Dementia for the achievement (man, that was actually pretty tough) and now I'm gonna revert back to my previous save and do Mania.

GreekWolf

Jonnyram said:
I just did Dementia for the achievement (man, that was actually pretty tough) and now I'm gonna revert back to my previous save and do Mania.
Cheater! I hope you're playing a rogue.

MirageDwarf said:
Mania is so ****ing beautiful that I always travel during day time in Mania. I'm also planning to be a Duke of Mania.
It's actually ruined the game for me. I popped my head back into Cyrodil last night to pick up some things from home, and was shocked to see how bland everything looks compared to Shivering Isles.

Now I'm thinking that I should have just upgraded my system and bought the PC game, so I'd have access to those thousands of mods. Because once I finish all the quests/dungeons in the Isles I just don't know how I'll go back to plain, old vanilla Oblivion.

GreekWolf said:
It's both, actually. I don't want to give away too much as not to ruin the OMGWTFBBQ experience.

I'll give you three hints -

1. Search Mania, in the area north of the Jester's Spine.

2. You'll have to do some poking around to figure out how to get in.

3. Ebrocca
Crematorium

I've searched that area fairly thoroughly, but I haven't found the entrance you're talking about.

I found the entrance that's under a sliding-panel trap and the other that's in a small out-building. Where is the Crematorium entrance in relation to the main part of the ruins?

GreekWolf

Great Rumbler said:
I found the entrance that's under a sliding-panel trap and the other that's in a small out-building. Where is the Crematorium entrance in relation to the main part of the ruins?
Sorry about that, my spoiler was kind of confusing.

There's no Crematorium entrance, it's inside the dungeon itself. Needed for the Din's Ashes quest.

Also, for whatever reason, some people are getting Ebrocca confused with Brellach, which are two completely different areas. You'll know you're at Brellach when you see Golden Saints guarding the entrance.

GreekWolf said:
Sorry about that, my spoiler was kind of confusing.

There's no Crematorium entrance, it's inside the dungeon itself. Needed for the Din's Ashes quest.

Also, for whatever reason, some people are getting Ebrocca confused with Brellach, which are two completely different areas. You'll know you're at Brellach when you see Golden Saints guarding the entrance.

Ah, I see. Can I get to that area going through the main entrance?

Jonnyram

GreekWolf said:
Cheater! I hope you're playing a rogue.
I've forgotten the official name of my class - witch hunter or witchfinder or something? I play a stealthy role anyway, so yeah both Duke quests were pretty easy. So far there's been an unusually low amount of forced fighting actually. I engaged a few of the Knights of Order back at The Fringe, but maybe things get more serious from here?

I just did the
escape sequence
from the Spire. Good god... I got crushed the first time right at the end. On the second run, I was at the same point, and glitched out of the tunnel and kept falling through dark infinity. Fortunately the game pulled me back into the tunnel with no health loss so I could continue or I would have thrown the controller through the TV at that point.

joesmokey

Started playing this game with the PS3 version, and am really getting sucked in now.

Finally got into Arcane University! Pretty cool quest line going to each of the guild halls. While some of the quests were stupidly easy, it was a great way to see each city. Can't wait to get out of apprentice status.

I'm going for an ultimate mage character (not battlemage, strictly spellcasting), and have a couple of questions:

1) Is there much use for poisons since I'll mainly be casting spells? Should I sell all that I make?
2) Is there any reason not to dump almost all my points into intelligence and wisdom, and a random 3rd one?
3) Is it worth doing the training that is offered at the Guild Halls, or should I just wait until the skills increase naturally?

Sorry if these have been asked before, 11,000+ posts is a lot to sift through :).

syllogism

joesmokey said:
1) Is there much use for poisons since I'll mainly be casting spells? Should I sell all that I make?
Not really, just sell/stash them
2) Is there any reason not to dump almost all my points into intelligence and wisdom, and a random 3rd one?
Willpower isn't all that important, so some strength (to carry all that loot/equipment) and speed might be preferable. In any case you should max your endurance as soon as possible since (unmodded) HP increases are not retroactive. You'll eventually be able to max all your attributes, including luck if you start training it early on, provided you put some effort into building up the modifiers.

3) Is it worth doing the training that is offered at the Guild Halls, or should I just wait until the skills increase naturally?
Some skills can take quite a while to raise naturally and getting your attribute modifiers to +5 every level can become a chore if you don't train. In conclusion, train if you've the money.

In other news it doesn't appear Oblivion can, even heavily modded, keep me interested second time through.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have a bunch of useless madness ore matrices, and an amber sword matrix. Why can`t I get awesome madness ore armor matrices? Stupid random drops. :(

Part of me wishes Oblivion had online item trading, so you could even trade magic armor and weapons you`ve named yourself.

I would love to sell someone my sword Lobo del Oro, or my old shield Cielo Azul.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Did you see the shoes on the roof Consolevania reference? :lol

447153520_680878f6b8.jpg

Jonnyram

GhaleonEB said:
I saw the shoes but didn't understand it - what's the reference? There's TONS of stuff on the roofs up there.
In the consolevania review, he spent a great deal of time explaining how much fun it is to throw shoes onto the roofs of buildings.

I almost lost my Duskfang/Dawnfang sword in midst of running out from Xeddafen. I was thinking of ignoring Knights but they kept hitting me, and one point I lost sword. I couldn't equip another weapon. Finding sword in dark battle zone was tough.

QUESTION!

I downloaded the Shivering Isles with my hard drive, but on a friends 360, because my 360 was sent for repairs.

So I get my 360 back, put my hard drive on it, and load up Oblivion, but any save data containing the Shivering Isles on it will not load, and I get a message saying something about the expansions not loading.

What the hell is going on?

raYne

Well, you're trying to use DLC on a machine that you didn't download it with in the first place. So now you can only play said DLC while connected to Live.

I was connected to xbox live.

But actually, all DLC works on my user profile, but not on my other profiles. Which is not gonna fly. Theres gotta be a fix.

Kabouter

The Chef said:
what in the world!?

Well...how is it?
It rocks, really a change of pace, I was having so many problems with the old silver bow + silver arrows I was carrying around. Often had to tone down difficulty. While I still have trouble with some bosses, generally, I can survive with a bit of sneaking about. So yeah, worth the money :p.

raYne

Calamachino said:
I was connected to xbox live.

But actually, all DLC works on my user profile, but not on my other profiles. Which is not gonna fly. Theres gotta be a fix.
The other profiles aren't your main (ie Live) profile. So why would there be?

Jonnyram

Actually I bought Shivering Isles on my sub-profile and it works just fine on my main profile. Same for some of my XBLA games. I don't know why it works - I guess it's just automatically validated because the sub-profile is on that device too. If they were to ever remove this loophole, I'd be totally gutted.

Finished off S.I. last night - yeah, I was doing invis+sneak=6x damage most of the time. Am I right in thinking duskfang/dawnfang heals itself when you kill? I'd been using it all the time since I picked it up, and when I finished the questline, it was still 96% and I noticed the nourish blade stat. There's another sword in S.I. that's even stronger, but the auto-heal makes me much more fond of this one.

The story twist? I saw it coming about 5 minutes before it happened, but it was still pretty awesome :)

raYne

Jonnyram said:
Actually I bought Shivering Isles on my sub-profile and it works just fine on my main profile. Same for some of my XBLA games. I don't know why it works - I guess it's just automatically validated because the sub-profile is on that device too. If they were to ever remove this loophole, I'd be totally gutted.
That's exactly how it's supposed to work. All DLC is available by any profile on a system, as long as it's the system it was downloaded with in the first place.

His problem is he got it with a friends system. Because of that he needs to be logged into Live so that it can be validated each and every time he actually plays it. There might be a way around it but I don't feel like revealing it... heh. [/selfish]

Finished off S.I. last night - yeah, I was doing invis+sneak=6x damage most of the time. Am I right in thinking duskfang/dawnfang heals itself when you kill? I'd been using it all the time since I picked it up, and when I finished the questline, it was still 96% and I noticed the nourish blade stat. There's another sword in S.I. that's even stronger, but the auto-heal makes me much more fond of this one.
You're probably right about the Dawn/dusk fang. I've been using it in conjunction with the Umbra, but haven't been paying that much attention when repairing it. I'm far more interested in the added damage I can cause. :D

Jonnyram said:

If you kill enough people with one of the versions,
it'll come back around as an upgraded version of itself. Only until the end of that day, though.

xabre

Banned
Calamachino said:

Welcome to the world of getting f*cked in the arse by DRM. Enjoy your stay :)

When Duskfant/Dawnfang is used to kill 12 enemies, next one you get is superior version which has new added enchantment. Not charges but new effect. Whenever you get new one, it comes fully charged. It shows message on the screen when you kill total 12 enemies.

This is the only sword I use pretty much all the time.

After gatekeeper quest, map doesn't show the Fringe and Shivering Isles landmarks at the same time. Now to travel to my house in Cyrodill becomes 3 steps process: gate of madness to gate to Cyrodiil to my house....

Is it common?

Top Bottom