• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

raYne said:
Finally! It's just not a real Oblivion thread without the Jedi. :D

I finished the main quest (one version), but have a lot of side quests to do. Haven't played it since 4/3 either, so I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to jumping back in too. As soon as I can stay awake late enough to play in a sizeable chunk of time. Hopefully in the next day or two.

Glad to see that the Oblivion hype lives on! :D

raYne

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, I'm looking forward to jumping back in too. As soon as I can stay awake late enough to play in a sizeable chunk of time. Hopefully in the next day or two.
Wait. This is officially the first dlc you bought for Oblivion right?

*clouds part, light shines through as Angelic music plays*

Record your screen as you press "A" to accept and Youtube it! lol

raYne said:
Wait. This is officially the first dlc you picked up for Oblivion right?

*clouds part, light shines through as Angelic music plays*

Record your screen as you press "A" to accept and Youtube it! lol

LOL!

Yes it is the first DLC I purchased. But, I've always contended that I'd purchase DLC with plenty of content to justify it. SI looks to fit that bill.

I do think that several alarms went off over at Bethesda when my purchase went through though. I'm sure they laughed maniacally knowing that in the end, they had won! ;)

GhaleonEB

Confidence Man said:
Eh, I get an error message "Old file not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match."
Now that's a confusing error message. So helpful!

Welcome back, KFJ. I wrapped up the main quest and have a gaggle of side-quests to do, but I'm saving them for the proverbial rainy day. I've moved on to Halo 2 (again), Crackdown (again) and some Arcade titles. Took about 55 hours.

gstaff

Confidence Man said:
Eh, I get an error message "Old file not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match."

* Backup all save files located in /My Documents/My Games/Oblivion/Saves/ to a separate folder.
* Backup, or have some method ready for reinstallation of any third party or user created mods that you have.
* Uninstall Oblivion
* Delete any folders left behind such as C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion, and My Documents\My Games\Oblivion
* Reboot your computer
* Reinstall Oblivion (there is no need to install patch 1.1 or 1.2 at this point)
* Install Shivering Isles
* Copy your old saves into /My Documents/My Games/Oblivion/Saves/
* Load Oblivion
* Load an old save file and ensure that the save file load properly.
* Wait 24 to 48 hours in-game then fast travel to a location near the Niben Bay, just east of Bravil. You should get a quest notification, or at least be able to see the island when looking due east from the Bravil Stables.

GhaleonEB said:
Welcome back, KFJ. I wrapped up the main quest and have a gaggle of side-quests to do, but I'm saving them for the proverbial rainy day. I've moved on to Halo 2 (again), Crackdown (again) and some Arcade titles. Took about 55 hours.

Awesome. Sounds like there is plenty to do. I think I'm getting over the jet lag. Perhaps tonight I'll fire it up again. :D

Pimpbaa

gstaff said:
Newest beta patch for Shivering Isles is up....

http://www.bethsoft.com/downloads_01.html

The bug fixes...

Fixed a crash caused by bad form IDs

Fixed an issue where the game would try to use form IDs that were either restricted or not available yet.

Thought I'd let you know, as BSW new Community Manager :)

Thanks for the info. Glad it properly installed even tho I had that last beta patch installed. That previous beta patch made me have to reinstall Oblivion.

gstaff said:
* Backup all save files located in /My Documents/My Games/Oblivion/Saves/ to a separate folder.
* Backup, or have some method ready for reinstallation of any third party or user created mods that you have.
* Uninstall Oblivion
* Delete any folders left behind such as C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion, and My Documents\My Games\Oblivion
* Reboot your computer
* Reinstall Oblivion (there is no need to install patch 1.1 or 1.2 at this point)
* Install Shivering Isles
* Copy your old saves into /My Documents/My Games/Oblivion/Saves/
* Load Oblivion
* Load an old save file and ensure that the save file load properly.
* Wait 24 to 48 hours in-game then fast travel to a location near the Niben Bay, just east of Bravil. You should get a quest notification, or at least be able to see the island when looking due east from the Bravil Stables.

So before I do this, am I going to have to do it again when the final patch is out? I had to go through hell just to uninstall the game last time. And is this beta patch going to break mods?

GhaleonEB

gstaff said:

The bug fixes...

Fixed an issue where the game would try to use form IDs that were either restricted or not available yet.

Welcome! Thanks for coming here. I think there were a few questions that went unanswered around the middle of the thread somewhere. Mind handling them? :p

I really want to play SI but I haven't played Oblivion in over a year, so it'd be like starting from scratch all over again. I may as well start from the beginning and finish all the quests I didn't touch with my first character. Any suggestions on what character class to play as? My original was an evil cat man (don't remember the race name) thief/assassin.

Bildi

gstaff said:

The bug fixes...

Is there a 360 patch coming soon?

I hope Bethesda doesn't ignore their own fan base and refuse to acknowledge the problem like they have with other serious bugs such as the animation bug.

Not even responding to those on their own forums who take the time to investigate Bethesda's bugs is pretty pathetic.

GhaleonEB said:
Welcome! Thanks for coming here. I think there were a few questions that went unanswered around the middle of the thread somewhere. Mind handling them? :p

:lol :lol :lol

Perfect! :D

The new kid has his work cut out for him!

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
:lol! Hilarious.

No, seriously... get to work.

Pimpbaa

Bildi said:

I hope Bethesda doesn't ignore their own fan base and refuse to acknowledge the problem like they have with other serious bugs such as the animation bug.

Not even responding to those on their own forums who take the time to investigate Bethesda's bugs is pretty pathetic.

I know how you feel man, there was a annoying CTD bug in Morrowind that somehow seemed to be associated with sould blaster cards that was never fixed. Game would crash to desktop often during fights. Happened on 2 completely different computers (except the sound card was the same, it was a SB Live). Seen many others complain about it at the time too. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Stardock has the best support I have ever seen. I was having some crash to desktops with Galactic Civilizations II Gold Edition, they were very interested in getting to the bottom of my problem. Eventually was even emailing the lead developer. Smaller company I know, but it's still good to listen to the bugs people are having.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
For what it's worth, the SI bug was discovered but not immediately identified by gamers Friday afternoon before Easter Weekend. It was first looked at by a programmer on the following Monday, and the beta patch was released for PC within 48 hours. Beta patch 2 was released today based on feedback from the first patch. I'm not sure how much more responsive you want the company to be. Obviously any patch for the Xbox 360 would have to be a *final* patch, not a *beta*, and that just can't be rushed.

Bildi

Pimpbaa said:
I know how you feel man, there was a annoying CTD bug in Morrowind that somehow seemed to be associated with sould blaster cards that was never fixed. Game would crash to desktop often during fights. Happened on 2 completely different computers (except the sound card was the same, it was a SB Live). Seen many others complain about it at the time too. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Stardock has the best support I have ever seen. I was having some crash to desktops with Galactic Civilizations II Gold Edition, they were very interested in getting to the bottom of my problem. Eventually was even emailing the lead developer. Smaller company I know, but it's still good to listen to the bugs people are having.
Yeah, I've been particularly annoyed with Bethesda ever since the animation glitch halted my fighters quest line completely in Azani Blackheart because I can't get a door to open. For some people this is game-breaking because of a character who ends up following you around permanently but luckily I managed to leave him behind.

The bug also caused me major headaches in the main quest where I had to reload my save many times to try to get through a dungeon because doors would not open.

This bug has been ignored by Bethesda when it comes to the 360 as far as I know. Great to hear you had good experiences with Stardock - makes all the difference!

It would be nice to see more communication with fans especially since they are so willing to help on the technical side of things in finding and in the case of the PC, patching Bethesda's bugs.

SteveMeister said:
Obviously any patch for the Xbox 360 would have to be a *final* patch, not a *beta*, and that just can't be rushed.

I agree. My small vent was more directed at Bethesda's refusal to communicate with fans and even acknowledge particular bugs when the fans are the ones devoting their own time to discovering the exact reason of the bug, and fans going so far as to patch them on the PC. Their communication should be better especially given the amount of serious bugs in their games. Of course I accept that Elder Scrolls is a big game so will have more bugs, but sometimes their smaller games also have fairly prominent fatal bugs.

My rant was not necessarily directed at this particular bug (although again they are not communicating whether they acknowledge the bug in the 360 version as far as I know).

Don't get me wrong, I love Oblivion to bits. Maybe that's why it annoys me that there is such a threat of game-breaking bugs and Bethesda chooses not to fix them.

gstaff

Bildi said:

Guys, we've got people hard at work on finalizing the PC patch and the 360 patch. I can't give an exact date, but we're definitely pushing to get it done soon!

Thanks for the welcome...I've been a Gaf guy for a few years now, but after trying to get in on the journalism side (starting with my college days working with Mr. Luke Smith). I'm very happy to now be working with Bethesda.

gstaff said:
Guys, we've got people hard at work on finalizing the PC patch and the 360 patch. I can't give an exact date, but we're definitely pushing to get it done soon!

Thanks for the welcome...I've been a Gaf guy for a few years now, but after trying to get in on the journalism side (starting with my college days working with Mr. Luke Smith). I'm very happy to now be working with Bethesda.

Oh, you just had to go and drop Luke Smith's name huh? For that you have to write a detailed explanation of how to complete the Cure for Vampirism Quest and then post it when ever anyone asks.

Jokeropia

gstaff said:
Thank you. This is the first time I've seen an official comment on a 360 patch and simply knowing that one is coming really does help.

gstaff

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Oh, you just had to go and drop Luke Smith's name huh? For that you have to write a detailed explanation of how to complete the Cure for Vampirism Quest and then post it when ever anyone asks.

Gamefaqs.com :)

SteveMeister said:
For what it's worth, the SI bug was discovered but not immediately identified by gamers Friday afternoon before Easter Weekend. It was first looked at by a programmer on the following Monday, and the beta patch was released for PC within 48 hours. Beta patch 2 was released today based on feedback from the first patch. I'm not sure how much more responsive you want the company to be. Obviously any patch for the Xbox 360 would have to be a *final* patch, not a *beta*, and that just can't be rushed.

What are the differences between beta patch 2 and beta patch 1?

snaildog

I'm giving this game another go with Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, and all signs point to awesome. I'm one of those that hates the default levelled world (the whole world adjusting to your level), and recommend this to anyone the same - check out the Readme:

http://jorgeoscuro.googlepages.com/oscuro'soblivionoverhaulreadme

Basically it makes the world have a lot more sense: dungeons get tougher the deeper you go, rich people have valuables that are actually worth selling, arrows and H2H are worthwhile, bosses will kick your arse in the early levels, etc etc.

Bildi

gstaff said:

Thanks a lot for the info gstaff - much appreciated! Hope you enjoy your new job!

FFChris

Just made a new, evil character to do the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild questlines with, and wow, these are so much more fun than the Warrior and Mage questlines!

FFChris said:
Just made a new, evil character to do the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild questlines with, and wow, these are so much more fun than the Warrior and Mage questlines!

I've done all of those except the Thieves Guild, and I thought the DB questline was the most fun, by far. The Mages guild stuff was my favorite in Morrowind, but I didn't care for Oblivion's at all. I found the Fighters Guild quests in Oblivion to be pretty fun for their simplicity; nearly every quest is, "Go to this building/room and kill everything you see."

GhaleonEB

FFChris said:
Agreed - the DB is excellent. And FWIW, pretty much everything in the Shivering Isles is that good. :D

teiresias

snaildog said:
I'm giving this game another go with Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, and all signs point to awesome. I'm one of those that hates the default levelled world (the whole world adjusting to your level), and recommend this to anyone the same - check out the Readme:

http://jorgeoscuro.googlepages.com/oscuro'soblivionoverhaulreadme

Basically it makes the world have a lot more sense: dungeons get tougher the deeper you go, rich people have valuables that are actually worth selling, arrows and H2H are worthwhile, bosses will kick your arse in the early levels, etc etc.

I've been thinking of starting a new game using this. I'm only at level 10 with my character and trying to finish up the Mage Guild recommendation quest before heading out into the wilderness in any great capacity for random quests, but the leveling of the world is already starting to get somewhat annoying.

Have you liked playing this this so far? Reading up on it I think i might use the Lite version since I don't really want the mechanics of the fighting to change, just the way the world levels with you (which really makes little logistical sense to me).

There are so many mods that do this same basic thing that it's hard to know which to use. I've also been considering the Adventurer's Obvlivion mod that is similar, not sure which to try, since i really don't want to play the game for 10 hours on each one to see which I prefer.

snaildog

Not sure what you mean by changing the mechanics of fighting? A lot of it's rebalanced, but not changed. I'd just go with the Full version (1.32 comes out in a couple of days).

It's definitely the most complete and balanced out of the 'overhaul' type mods from what I've read. I was hestitant to try it, because it is just some guy's version of the game, but he's put a ridiculous amount of effort and passion into it and he really does know what he's doing; Bethesda should employ him. As a thief it is great to be able to sneak around monsters that will eat me alive if the catch me. A recent quote from him on the message board:
What I want to accomplish with future versions of OOO is more than having Morrowindfied the gameplay of Oblivion. 1.3 already took some steps in this direction: to really make the player feel how his/her actions change the world in a tangible way. For example, now in 1.32 the dungeons of certain bosses will get depopulated once their inhabitants leaders ditch or leave. Then the same dungeon gets slowly overtaken by other creatures. Another example is the dynamic relationship between the Argonian Smugglers and the Dunmer Slavers in the Blackmarsh. You can get visible rewards by helping either faction, but you can also turn your arm against your former friends and eventually change alliances (though if you have killed all the relevant figures of each faction to earn reputation quickly then you won't have much to benefit any more. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ) The new Melus Petilius quest forces you to choose between helping the Daedra Lord Molag Bal or become a paladin of the Nine. Both quests are now mutually exclusive, whereas before you could get away with having brought dishonor to a paladin without any consequences if you were also a "do-gooder".

Basically, the idea is to give more meaning to what we do in the world of Tamriel. The idea is to force choices that have clear consequences while at the same time creating more possibilities for different game scenarios (depending on the faction you decide to help, for example, etc.) I think this way will lend a lot more weight to Role-play aspects of the game that were clearly washed away because the TES series had finally gone mainstream 100%.

With all that said, OOO will be difficult on the player. By creating that many more options to resolve problems I am forced to make those problems more complex and challenging, otherwise all those exciting gameplay options crawl under the shadow of quicker and repetitive solutions (like simple button-mashing attacks in vanilla.) Some of its enemies, and specially their bosses, are very tough and you will sometimes be forced to rethink strategies often, perhaps even leaving their defeat for a later time. As long as that does not discourage you then I think you will enjoy it very much. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

alu

I was quickly reading through the last pages of the thread, where I saw that there aren't only those mods that add content but also graphical enhancement mods. Now I wonder whether there is one, which can fix the blocky reflection on the water when looking at it from a distance. I'm sure you know what I mean. Also I'd like to know how the PS3 version of the game compares to the PC version, graphically speaking. (I'm just curious because I neither have a PS3 or a gaming PC)

MMaRsu

Hey guys, how do I start Shivering Isles? I just downloaded it ( YAY :D ) and now I really wanna play it, but there's not a new quest showing up for me?

So what's up?

gstaff

Hey guys

I wanted to let you know we're planning to have the final Form ID patches for 360 and PC up on Monday. That's the target date for now.

raYne

MMaRsu said:
Hey guys, how do I start Shivering Isles? I just downloaded it ( YAY :D ) and now I really wanna play it, but there's not a new quest showing up for me?

So what's up?
Oh, so now you get it? I of couse blame you for the thread not being around 15,500 posts by now. So get to work!

gstaff said:
Hey guys

I wanted to let you know we're planning to have the final Form ID patches for 360 and PC up on Monday. That's the target date for now.
Good news. Guess I'll wait 'till Monday to jump back into SI. :D

gstaff

The FORM ID issue is the issue that's been reported here and there in regards to Shivering Isles.
It's an issue that occurs after long hours playing Oblivion (or sooner with Shivering Isles) where items dropped within the game will eventually start disappearing. This patch will address those problems.

Something to note, any items that were dropped that have already disappeared will not be able to be recovered. You would need to revert to a save prior to when the Form ID issue popped up in your game.

Top Bottom