• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Kweh

LakeEarth said:
You get to chose 4 different conversation tones, people will like a specific two and hate the other two. So what you have to do is select the two they like when the colouring is biggest, and select the ones they don't like when its coloured the least. The higher the number, the more they like you.

Aurora said:
The number in the middle is basically the person's level of persuasion. The higher it is the better for you.

As for the 4 segments and their differences in size, the size reflects the "power" of persuasion caused. So for example, the person you are speaking to is not fond of Humour (as illustrated by their facial expression), if the segment size is at the largest and you select it you will reduce their level of persuasion quite a lot. On the flip side, if that person likes Humour then their level of persuasion will increase a fair bit.

The rule of the persuasion minigame is that you must eventually select all four segments, but in any order you wish. You will generally try to select a larger sized segment when it is over an area that will please the person, and you will want to select the smaller segments on areas that will displease the person.

Cheers folks

Kweh

I restarted as a different class, and I am doing the quest where you go through the painting and you have to kill the trolls. The person you are supposed to help gives you some Turpentine to soak on your weapon otherwise you do very little damage if any. Now, when I did this on my mage, I seem to recall having enough Turpentine for the mission, it was 1 bottle per troll. I've just killed the first troll with my new character (Bard), and it took 4 bottles of Turpentine - i had to resoak after each strike. I thought maybe since it was a new class, it might of had less trolls, but I've got another to kill and I don't have enough.

Does the npc give your a refill or is there other ways to kill them? They kill me in about 3-4 strikes.

ckohler

Tabris said:
I think I just broke the game.

I got 3 cameleon 30% sigil stones and decided to make a secondary armour set that I called "Shadow *" with also night vision and feather... and well... I can attack people w/o them doing a thing. I can get away with anything in the game right now! Crazy.

This is a known technique. I read about it on the Oblivion wiki. What's weird is that I created a 100% cameleon spell but it doesn't seem to work. Everybody sees me. Any ideas why?

Instead, I've just be casting invisibility when I get into a scuffle with more than one person. Also, my new favorite thing to do when attacking a single enemy is to paralize them for 10 seconds and just punch the crap out of them! :lol Good way to build my hand-to-hand. :D

Kweh

Kweh said:
I restarted as a different class, and I am doing the quest where you go through the painting and you have to kill the trolls. The person you are supposed to help gives you some Turpentine to soak on your weapon otherwise you do very little damage if any. Now, when I did this on my mage, I seem to recall having enough Turpentine for the mission, it was 1 bottle per troll. I've just killed the first troll with my new character (Bard), and it took 4 bottles of Turpentine - i had to resoak after each strike. I thought maybe since it was a new class, it might of had less trolls, but I've got another to kill and I don't have enough.

Does the npc give your a refill or is there other ways to kill them? They kill me in about 3-4 strikes.

Well I did it, but a fairly cheatish method. Basically cast Moonshadow , went past all the trolls and saved my Turpentine for the troll standing over the body I was supposed to check. THen waited 24hrs and cast Moonshadow again and went back. :)

rs7k

I'm a level 15 Rogue, and I'm just getting owned in Sancre Tor. Should I finish some of the other questlines to get more experience? It's impossible to get near those Fading Wraiths, and my character's not a marksman. I specialize in light armor, and I like to fight with two-handed weapons.

snaildog

Wow, I just went into the barracks and swiped all the guards' armour while they slept. It's awesome, all the guards are in shifts and take turns at sleeping. Now every patrolling guard in Bravil is walking around in sack cloth with no weapons :lol

Azrael

Is there an easy way to get Daedric helms and gauntlets? I'm level 34 and the only time I've ever seen them is in the dreamworld quest. The high-level Dremora never wear them. I have a +50 Magicka Transcendant Stone I really want to use, but I don't want to use it on my fugly Orcish helmet.

Azrael said:
Is there an easy way to get Daedric helms and gauntlets? I'm level 34 and the only time I've ever seen them is in the dreamworld quest. The high-level Dremora never wear them. I have a +50 Magicka Transcendant Stone I really want to use, but I don't want to use it on my fugly Orcish helmet.

I found an entire Daedric armor set [really sweet lookin'] just in one of the dungeons circling the imperial city. I think it was southwest of the city in a cavern of vamps or vamp-worshippers or something. I don't mean you'll find one there, but that they might be in random places once you reach the necessary level.

I've heard there is an item called the Skeleton Key or something that gives you unlimited lock picks. I hate doing the tumbler minigame, so does anyone know where I can find this item?

D3RANG3D

LegendofJoe said:
I've heard there is an item called the Skeleton Key or something that gives you unlimited lock picks. I hate doing the tumbler minigame, so does anyone know where I can find this item?

Daedra Shrine of Nocturnal it's north east of Leyawin

DarkJustice

Hi. Noob here and very LTTP, I can't believe this game runs on my Pentium 2.4Ghz with 1 GB and a geforce 6800 vanilla! Incredible game, my marriage is in trouble! :D

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I still remember... I was like level 25 when I decided to beat the game (storywise) and I was recruiting all those towns to help me in the 'final battle'. Then came Kvatch... I had left Kvatch alone for all that time. Now when I went into the church, battled those imbeciles on the tombs and went outside making a run for the granary.. that was epic. All the monsters were high level, chimeras, those giant snow guys... I don't remember the names but the place was full of high profile monsters. Of course I tried to go one on one but I failed. Then one day I ran and passed by them as fast as I could, opened the gate... all these monsters came out AGAIN. I was almost dead, no soldiers, me and that captain dude. I remember I had to throw myself to the river and from down there scope each monster with my frigging bow. I swear I was one hour down there... but I actually found it fun. While I sniped them I recovered my own health, went out all kamikaze, then down to the river, then out again... until I cleared them. Then I went inside the castle and just made a run for reaching the mayor, prince... whoever ruled over the country :p. It was.. epic.

Oblivion, I love it. They gotta make ES5. Oh, and thanks for reminding me I gotta buy Shivering Isles =).

Tobor

I just finished up Shivering Isles, and it was great fun. Problem is, there is nothing left for me to do. Any word on more DLC coming? Another expansion? I'm going to go through withdrawal.

oldboy1

Banned
Tobor said:
I just finished up Shivering Isles, and it was great fun. Problem is, there is nothing left for me to do. Any word on more DLC coming? Another expansion? I'm going to go through withdrawal.

Do you have plans for other Xbox 360 DLC beyond Shivering Isles?

Bruce Nesmith: Yes, we do have plans for at least one more DLC. It will be smaller, more along the lines of the Wizard’s Tower or Vile Lair. Beyond that, we’re leaving our options open.

:)

Is it worth getting shivering isles if you haven't completed the main story in the original Oblivion? The reason I ask is because I HATED closing the gates and stopped the main quest because of that, but I REALLY liked the DBH quests which people say shivering isles is right up there with.

Also, have there been any reports of any of the PC mods not working with it? I want to get it for the PC.

Synbios459 said:
Is it worth getting shivering isles if you haven't completed the main story in the original Oblivion? The reason I ask is because I HATED closing the gates and stopped the main quest because of that, but I REALLY liked the DBH quests which people say shivering isles is right up there with.

Also, have there been any reports of any of the PC mods not working with it? I want to get it for the PC.

I only downloaded SI today, but I should think so. I liked the main quest but it's really geared for a warrior-style character, I think. The DBH line was maybe my favorite in the game. To me the main quest stands alongside the four guild quests, not above them or anything. Download and adventure away.

Muppet345

Can someone help me with a weird bug? Every time I try to enter Crucible on Shivering Isles, my 360 freezes. =\

edit: Ok, I fast-traveled inside and now it'll let me.

Synbios459 said:

Shivering Isle quest line has no connection to the main quest line in Oblivion. So not a problem. Story wise it's really good. Dialogs are well written than Oblivion.

There were few problems initially, but most of the mods would work now unless author didn't care to fix it.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Do you have plans for other Xbox 360 DLC beyond Shivering Isles?

Bruce Nesmith: Yes, we do have plans for at least one more DLC. It will be smaller, more along the lines of the Wizard’s Tower or Vile Lair. Beyond that, we’re leaving our options open.

Yeah, it's got to be that Dragon Castle DL that was mentioned awhile back.

I downloaded Shivering Isles 24 hours ago. It has completely frozen my system twice, both times when entering a town, it randomly dropped and added one of my swords from my inventory, my guy swung his sword while I was holding block [and had been for several seconds], etc. In short, after just a few hours of gameplay, it's got a great design but has been glitchy as hell.

I, for one, am pretty sick of all this DLC that obviously has not received proper testing--Marvel UA, Crackdown, Oblivion. Maybe if we're going to use these ripoff MS Points we should receive products that work. Just thinkng out loud here.

Way late Edit: The game is still a wreck of glitches for me [SI reminds me of Morrowind, while Oblivion proper was a welcome change], but I must say that the actual content of the SI is outstanding.

I don't buy DLC for Oblivion, but I did get SI and I enjoyed it. The main quest in SI is great, even if it's a bit predictable. and the dialog is awesome. I still have two or three side quests to finish up, but for the most part, I've finished it as well, but if you enjoy Oblivion, SI is a great expansion to get you back into the game.

Anyone who is having freezing problems, don't forget to clear your cache. It can solve a lot of problems.

Can one of you guys tell be where I can reliably buy (or find) a Potion of Insight and Potion of Charisma? I'm desperate to build back my damaged Intelligence and Personality stats, but my infamy is waaaaaaay too high for praying at a temple to be an option--it looks like potions are my only recourse. I tried Googling it and only got PC cheat codes to make 'em appear, which does me less than no good since I'm playing the X360 version. Thanks in advance...

Jokeropia

andrewjnyc said:
Can one of you guys tell be where I can reliably buy (or find) a Potion of Insight and Potion of Charisma? I'm desperate to build back my damaged Intelligence and Personality stats, but my infamy is waaaaaaay too high for praying at a temple to be an option--it looks like potions are my only recourse. I tried Googling it and only got PC cheat codes to make 'em appear, which does me less than no good since I'm playing the X360 version. Thanks in advance...
You can check for Alchemy effects here, and you could also get the Vile Lair DLC and use the Shrine of Sithis.

cilonen

Does anyone have an idea whether UK/EU DLC (should it ever show up on the Playstation Network) would work with a NA copy of Oblivion for the PS3?

Or will I have to try and get the US version of the DLC somehow.

(Bought my PS3 and Oblivion on holiday in Canada)

edit: over the past couple of weeks or so, since my Oblivion addiction started I've been making my way through this thread. If any of the Bethsoft people still drop by thanks for an awesome game. 116 hours, lvl 17 and still not starte the main quest yet!

So I bought the Vile Lair...and I noticed in an Xbox forum post I found via Google that it's apparently possible to buy access to the locked areas of the Lair (as well as the Ichor of Sithis) for as little as 1770 gp each. When I went to buy the Icor, it (and everything else the guy had) cost 5000+ gp! How the heck does one drive the price down to 1770? Is it a matter of having a really high Mercantile stat, or is it something else?

I've been trying to play recently, and everything is slow, and it freezes at times. It's only started happening since I got the newest update. I cleared my 360's cache, and tryed changing position of my 360. Anyone else having problems?

Umino

Because certain people need something to talk about.
So I downloaded Knights of the 9, shivering isles and the thieves lair and each time I boot up it takes a good minute or two to load new content. Does this happen every time?

raYne

Laramie said:
So I downloaded Knights of the 9, shivering isles and the thieves lair and each time I boot up it takes a good minute or two to load new content. Does this happen every time?
Dunno about 2 mins, but yes, it's normal and will happen on every boot.

bengraven

Ah, I miss this thread!

I still wish we could get more content for the regular world (for us stuck with the 360). I'm sure they assume that if you want more of the game, you should dig their expansion pack, but I want more IN GAME.

I'm thinking along the lines of the book mod, but to a higher degree. Give us more types of horses (or other mounts), more random items (I'm tired of finding calipers), some new villages with quests...why is this so hard for them to understand? I would pay 10 dollars for more content in the game.

And I know they're busy with Fallout, but the people behind Shivering Isles aren't...where's our new content, period? Since the expansion pack, us DLC addicts haven't had much to look forward to.

GreekWolf

I've just started playing through Morrowind again... and damn, I'd forgotten how truly amazing this game is.

If you throw in a few "Hall of Fame" mods like NPC replacement (attractive faces), Real Signposts and Book Covers, then it's essentially the perfect RPG.

As much as I love Oblivion, as evidenced by the hundreds of hours I've poured into the game, it really pales in comparison to Morrowind. It just has a much more epic feel, and is superior in almost every respect. Even Jeremy Soule's soundtrack is superior.

bengraven

GreekWolf said:
I've just started playing through Morrowind again... and damn, I'd forgotten how truly amazing this game is.

If you throw in a few "Hall of Fame" mods like NPC replacement (attractive faces), Real Signposts and Book Covers, then it's essentially the perfect RPG.

As much as I love Oblivion, as evidenced by the hundreds of hours I've poured into the game, it really pales in comparison to Morrowind. It just has a much more epic feel, and is superior in almost every respect. Even Jeremy Soule's soundtrack is superior.

Does NPC replacement work okay nowadays? Back in the day when I played MW hardcore (circa 2003-4), no one would even speak of that mod. I thought it was the greatest thing on earth, but I did have a lot of crashing because of it.

GreekWolf

bengraven said:
Does NPC replacement work okay nowadays? Back in the day when I played MW hardcore (circa 2003-4), no one would even speak of that mod. I thought it was the greatest thing on earth, but I did have a lot of crashing because of it.
It works fine. Never had any problems with it, and I'd even go so far as to consider the mod an essential component to the Morrowind experience. Heck, there's even one out now that upgrades all the textures in the game to Oblivion level. It's gorgeous.
Visual Pack

There will always be the stuffy old purists who gripe about user-created mods tainting the developer's vision, but there are plenty of us who enjoy a prettier looking (and playing) package.

GreekWolf said:

Morrowind was a great game, no question about that, but the constant and oppressive fog really prevents me from going back to it with the same gusto that I did back before Oblivion's wide, clear horizons.

Also, cliff racers. Man, cliff racers...

bengraven

Okay, thinking about trying the game out one last time on this PC before I upgrade and buy Oblivion for my new PC (after over a year of 360, I need the mods now).

Which is the best NPC replacer? The best texture pack? The best new quests? Anything else essential (I'm already getting the sign replacer and tree replacer of course...)?

GreekWolf

bengraven said:
Which is the best NPC replacer? The best texture pack? The best new quests? Anything else essential (I'm already getting the sign replacer and tree replacer of course...)?
Are you talking about Morrowind? I can steer you towards the mods I'm currently using.

Personally, I wanted to add just a little something to snazz up the visuals a bit, without disrupting the overall feel of the game. I'm not into the whole Giants, Dragons, Super Insano Armor mods which stick out like a sore thumb and (IMO) greatly cheapen the experience. If you like that kind of stuff then it's certainly out there, but it's definitely not for me.

I've experimented around for several months trying to find the perfect balance, and have finally settled on these -

NPC Replacer - basically, it's the finest edition of the numerous face replacement mods out there, and is an absolute must-have.

Real Signposts - uses the Elder Scrolls font to retexture all the signposts in the game into something that's actually useful.

Book Jackets - replaces all the old books with crisp, clean high-resolution textures that are much more aesthetically pleasing. Some of the art is eye-popping.

Book Rotate - compliments the Book Jackets mod perfectly. Allows you to file books away neatly on a shelf, or stack them face up. It's an invaluable tool when you're organizing your house or fort.

Mana Regeneration - updates the old Morrowind gameplay mechanic of regeneration (which there is none) to Oblivion's. Purists might disagree, but I feel it greatly enhances the experience.

Visual Pack - the best one out there, bar none. Replaces almost every low-resolution texture with high-res textures. When you load it up, you'll feel like you're playing Oblivion. In many areas, the textures actually exceed anything you'll find in Oblivion. Adds new life to the game world but maintains the same visual acuity of Morrowind. Unless you have an ancient PC then you shouldn't have any problems running it.

Hope that helps.

Great Rumbler said:
Morrowind was a great game, no question about that, but the constant and oppressive fog really prevents me from going back to it with the same gusto that I did back before Oblivion's wide, clear horizons.

Also, cliff racers. Man, cliff racers...

cliff racers are the bane of my existence. i live for the day they are wiped from the world.

bengraven

Oblivion just needed more.

More.
More.
More.

I'm sure Todd Howard, Pete Hines, or anyone else out there (here's looking at you Steve and Vark) would just laugh and say there's only so much time, but really, I would have taken lower grass textures in exchange for more quests.

The problem is that every quest had to be original and every quest had to be voiced. Which, I think, is why we were left with 4 factions and only 100 plus sidequests. I could have used more quests, even if they were sent to me as letters or posted at the local guild. And even if they were repeating. Yeah, I killed this guy and got this many mushrooms for this person, but dammit, I play WoW. I'm used to that shit. Anything that prolongs the gaming experience is fine by me.

When I get my PC up to snuff, I'm going to make this a Construction Set necessity. More to do in the world we were given.

Also, thanks for the mod list GreekWolf. Some of those I already had planned, but some sound like they will be necessary to me. I would have loved the book replacer back in the day when I sat in front of my TV one night (playing the Xbox version) reading the books I had stashed in my Hlaalu stonghold!

GreekWolf

bengraven said:
Also, thanks for the mod list GreekWolf. Some of those I already had planned, but some sound like they will be necessary to me. I would have loved the book replacer back in the day when I sat in front of my TV one night (playing the Xbox version) reading the books I had stashed in my Hlaalu stonghold!
No problemo. And yeah, I played the heck out of the Xbox game so I feel your pain. I even had one house in Balmora filled with nothing but books stacked up to the ceiling. :lol

One mod I forgot to mention... if you're looking for some additional quests, creatures and such, the best one out there in my opinion is Wizard's Islands. Even though I normally don't like total conversion/overhaul mods, this one is so well done that it feels like it belongs in the original game... just in a different part of the world. The dungeons are great.

Wizard's Islands

GreekWolf said:
Are you talking about Morrowind? I can steer you towards the mods I'm currently using.

Personally, I wanted to add just a little something to snazz up the visuals a bit, without disrupting the overall feel of the game. I'm not into the whole Giants, Dragons, Super Insano Armor mods which stick out like a sore thumb and (IMO) greatly cheapen the experience. If you like that kind of stuff then it's certainly out there, but it's definitely not for me.

I've experimented around for several months trying to find the perfect balance, and have finally settled on these -

NPC Replacer - basically, it's the finest edition of the numerous face replacement mods out there, and is an absolute must-have.

Real Signposts - uses the Elder Scrolls font to retexture all the signposts in the game into something that's actually useful.

Book Jackets - replaces all the old books with crisp, clean high-resolution textures that are much more aesthetically pleasing. Some of the art is eye-popping.

Book Rotate - compliments the Book Jackets mod perfectly. Allows you to file books away neatly on a shelf, or stack them face up. It's an invaluable tool when you're organizing your house or fort.

Mana Regeneration - updates the old Morrowind gameplay mechanic of regeneration (which there is none) to Oblivion's. Purists might disagree, but I feel it greatly enhances the experience.

Visual Pack - the best one out there, bar none. Replaces almost every low-resolution texture with high-res textures. When you load it up, you'll feel like you're playing Oblivion. In many areas, the textures actually exceed anything you'll find in Oblivion. Adds new life to the game world but maintains the same visual acuity of Morrowind. Unless you have an ancient PC then you shouldn't have any problems running it.

Hope that helps.

Is there anyway to get those mods without having to pay money to FilePlanet?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Great Rumbler said:

Found the Visual Pack here.

Not sure about the other stuff, but this is a free download, doesn't even require logging in.

Oh, and damn you all to HELL for making me reinstall Morrowind! I've never tried that Wizard's Tower mod out, and so thusly the journey begins again...

Umino

Because certain people need something to talk about.
Please tell me there is a mod that switches the morrowind combat to oblivion style. I just can't stand hitting people and missing at the same time!

GreekWolf

Great Rumbler said:
Er... you can download all of those mods without paying FilePlanet a cent. Just create a free account and then download from their public servers page.

syllogism

See 360 gamers, this is what you are missing

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/feature-articles/oblivion-mods-one.php

gladidonthaveanxbox.jpg

the true horrors are in the YCS forum thread

Top Bottom