• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

MrDaravon

gstaff said:
Hey guys

I wanted to let you know we're planning to have the final Form ID patches for 360 and PC up on Monday. That's the target date for now.

Awesome. I'm a good ways into Oblivion but had put off downloading SI until they'd done a patch, great news. Thanks!

MMaRsu

raYne said:
Oh, so now you get it? I of couse blame you for the thread not being around 15,500 posts by now. So get to work!

Good news. Guess I'll wait 'till Monday to jump back into SI. :D

Well unlike some people ( ;) ) I don't have a money tree in my backyard :p

raYne

MMaRsu said:
Well unlike some people ( ;) ) I don't have a money tree in my backyard :p
WTF!? WHO TOLD YOU... err... I have no idea what you're talking about.

Besides, I'm the one trying to get you to save money, Oh master of trading. :p

MMaRsu

raYne said:
WTF!? WHO TOLD YOU... err... I have no idea what you're talking about.

Besides, I'm the one trying to get you to save money, Oh master of trading. :p

Hehe well looking at your gamerpoints ;)

raYne

MMaRsu said:
Hehe well looking at your gamerpoints ;)
Pfft!

3y6w03m.jpg

raYne

MMaRsu said:
Damnit :p. Ah well I got my first two achievements in the Shivering Isles, but is there only 1 city? :(
After you leave the Fringe, there's one main yeah. But there are towns, ruins, forts all over the place as per Oblivion style.

The main one is pretty impressive though. :D

Jonnyram

Oblivion comes out in Japan (!) for the 360 on July 26, for 8190 yen. The disc will also include Knights of the Nine. Hope it does well, but there's a lot of other shit coming out that day, so it's up against stiff competition.

GhaleonEB

Jonnyram said:
Oblivion comes out in Japan (!) for the 360 on July 26, for 8190 yen. The disc will also include Knights of the Nine. Hope it does well, but there's a lot of other shit coming out that day, so it's up against stiff competition.
Wow, it's about time.

MMaRsu

Jonnyram said:

Wow, talk about delays :|.

Bildi

gstaff said:
Hey guys

I wanted to let you know we're planning to have the final Form ID patches for 360 and PC up on Monday. That's the target date for now.

Awesome! Thanks heaps for the info! :)

Brannon

CRAP, a bug. I'm doing a Mage's Guild quest involving the Count of Skingrad and some vampires and vampire hunters. I told the hunters where the vampires were, and I went out there hoping they would follow me. I killed all the vampires, but I return to town only to see that they're still there, and nothing I can do will get rid of them.

But now I have to think outside the box. I'm a goody-two shoes, and I also want this quest done, and my saves are such that I can't go back and I sure as hell am not going to start all the way over. I follow them. All over town and in the pasture and in the Inn, and I see them sit down. Then it hits me like a ton of bricks.

-THE PLAN-

--Enter Thieves' Guild and work my way to master
--Don the Cowl of Nocturnal to protect my fame/infamy/bounty
--Enter the Arena and kill the Champion after I demoralize him with the truth about his history (Cowl)
--Get recruited by the Dark Brotherhood (Cowl)
--Buy Poison Apples from a DB member
--Back to Skingrad and Snow White some apples on their person (Cowl, also they eat, but there is no food in the Inn tables, so they eat what's in their pocket)
--WIN GODDAMNIT **** GLITCHES

I could just kill them, but I don't wanna go to jail. I could also just Frenzy them upstairs in the sleeping quarters, but I don't know where to buy that spell.

...this could be interesting...

Phthisis

Jonnyram said:

I'm really interested to see the Famitsu scores and how well it takes to the userbase over there.

Also, I finished the Lifting the Vale quest last night. OH MY ****ING GOD SO AWESOME. Seriously, I'm at the 90 hour mark now, and every time I play the game, something more awesome than last time happens. It's unbelievable.

teiresias

gstaff said:
The FORM ID issue is the issue that's been reported here and there in regards to Shivering Isles.
It's an issue that occurs after long hours playing Oblivion (or sooner with Shivering Isles) where items dropped within the game will eventually start disappearing. This patch will address those problems.

Something to note, any items that were dropped that have already disappeared will not be able to be recovered. You would need to revert to a save prior to when the Form ID issue popped up in your game.

So this is actually a bug? So does this pretty much negate any reason for actually buying a house and any storage for it since you can now just drop stuff in some location and come back and get it if you need it (well, aside from it being easier to organize it in the storage obviously).

raYne

teiresias said:
So this is actually a bug? So does this pretty much negate any reason for actually buying a house and any storage for it since you can now just drop stuff in some location and come back and get it if you need it (well, aside from it being easier to organize it in the storage obviously).
The bug is that things vanish as soon as they're dropped. So you'd never be able to drop anything ever, since you won't get it back. Which would be a pain in the ass if your favorite weapon gets knocked out of your hand. :lol

The usual item disappearing eventually will remain as that's supposed to happen.

Drinky Crow said:
what are the odds of a ps3 shivering isles any time soon?
Can't say they'd be in a rush to port it, so it depends on your definition of "soon".

Steve and gstaff might know, but chances are they aren't at liberty to say.

JCBossman

Banned
I got this WEIRD issue with my imperial city house, I usually just chuck everything on the floor(I'm a real pig) well now when I enter the house this Tornado effect kicks in where (I suppose) I kick something and it kicks something,and in a micro sec everything is flying around the room, it settles down after a few secs, I kinda like it! Also I have noticed some weird large Translucent triangles in some areas,(forts) it looks like a graphical glitch hope it's with the game and not my 360? I gotta say with the new patch this game hasn't crashed once on me and prior to the upgrade it would crash (usually exiting an area) fairly often.

Brannon

Upon a second look, this tax list from the Captain of the Guard is pretty funny. Also...

Also, I finished the Lifting the Vale quest last night.

While you were in that area outside, did you look around for a 'key for a key...'? It's absolutely maddening :p

Phthisis

DJ Brannon said:
While you were in that area outside, did you look around for a 'key for a key...'? It's absolutely maddening :p

Ugh, yes. The last chest was a huge proverbial bitch. The item wasn't worth all that time, really.

Shawn

Banned
I got this game for the PS3 and I'm loving it. Very addictive.

The thing that I'm NOT loving about it is that nearly all of my current quests I've had to abandon, because there is no arrow pointing me where to go.

For example, I'll have a quest that says, "Locate [blah, blah] at [blah, blah]."

But how the heck am I supposed to know where "Blah, blah" is when there is no arrow pointing me where to go?

You know what I'm saying?

It's ridiculous.

Basically, all of my current quests are like this, and I don't know where to go because THERE'S NO ARROW.

I don't know... Am I justified in my complaint, or am I just not understanding something here?

Frenck

Banned
bengraven said:

Come on, it's successful so REAL RPG fans simply have to hate it.

If everyone plays it you can't say you're better than the others because you aren't the only one who knows about it.

Ragnarok10

Shawn said:
I got this game for the PS3 and I'm loving it. Very addictive.

The thing that I'm NOT loving about it is that nearly all of my current quests I've had to abandon, because there is no arrow pointing me where to go.

For example, I'll have a quest that says, "Locate [blah, blah] at [blah, blah]."

But how the heck am I supposed to know where "Blah, blah" is when there is no arrow pointing me where to go?

You know what I'm saying?

It's ridiculous.

Basically, all of my current quests are like this, and I don't know where to go because THERE'S NO ARROW.

I don't know... Am I justified in my complaint, or am I just not understanding something here?
Did you select a "Current Quest" and make it the "Active Quest?" Only the "Active Quest" will have an arrow pointing you in the right direction.

Shawn

Banned
Yes. I can select a quest as "Active Quest," yet there still will be no arrow.

Is this the way the game is supposed to be? Some active quests have arrows and some don't?

Ragnarok10

Shawn said:
Yes. I can select a quest as "Active Quest," yet there still will be no arrow.

Is this the way the game is supposed to be? Some active quests have arrows and some don't?
Yes, there are a few quests that don't have arrows. The one's that say things like, "You need to do some detective work, or try talking to some beggars" don't always have arrows until you gather some more information.

bengraven

Frenck said:
Come on, it's successful so REAL RPG fans simply have to hate it.

If everyone plays it you can't say you're better than the others because you aren't the only one who knows about it.

Shhh...stop talking about it. :lol

GhaleonEB

Ragnarok10 said:
Yes, there are a few quests that don't have arrows. The one's that say things like, "You need to do some detective work, or try talking to some beggars" don't always have arrows until you gather some more information.
But that's a tiny fraction of most quests. I'd say 90% + always put the marker on the next step in the quest. Make it your active quest, check the map for the marker. It should be there.

Cdammen

Got this game with my console purchase two weeks ago and I've been playing it for approximately 32h. Finished the main, thief, mage and arena quest lines and my character is only a level ten thief (a quite good one I might add). I haven't slept because I didn't want to deal with the vampire curse but now I have the time... ungh, that'll be a chore :(

How do I join the Dark Brotherhood? Do I need to kill some random innocent folk?

(EDIT 1) I downloaded and patched the game today (Xbox 360). Any major changes or just a bug fix?
(EDIT 2) Is there any container in The Arcane University that doesn't reset?

Cdammen said:
How do I join the Dark Brotherhood? Do I need to kill some random innocent folk?
Yes. Just kill some innocent person without getting arrested.

Cdammen said:
(EDIT 1) I downloaded and patched the game today (Xbox 360). Any major changes or just a bug fix?
It's bug fix. If you don't know about this bug, you can ignore details. Keep playing.

Kweh

Just started the PS3 version, and am a level 3 Mage, and trying to do one of the Mage Guild quests where I have to go down a well and underwater. I noticed I have a spell name Bouyancy but it requires Alteration 25. What is the best method of raising Alteration skill?

MMaRsu

Kweh said:
Just started the PS3 version, and am a level 3 Mage, and trying to do one of the Mage Guild quests where I have to go down a well and underwater. I noticed I have a spell name Bouyancy but it requires Alteration 25. What is the best method of raising Alteration skill?

Cast an alteration spell all the time or buy skill from a trainer.

Mmmkay

Uh did they **** around with a few things when they made the PS3 version? I played the PC ver, but got one stat wrong on my initial custom class and by ~25 hours in I wasn't levelling where I wanted to be. It didn't help that it ran like ass on my PC either, so I haven't played it in like a year. When I got my PS3 the place I ordered it from gave me a ton of discount vouchers so I decided to get it on the cheap for the PS3. Anyway, despite the whole levelled loot debacle, I would still usually find enchanted items once every couple of dungeons. I've been playing for a while now and I've not found a single enchanted weapon, and I'm also chronically under-potioned ;_;

And for some crazy reason I have over 80 lockpicks. I definitely don't remember having such a bountiful supply of lockpicks!

Victrix

*beard*
New PC patch = new compatible version of OBSE...

which means you can run the expanded hotkeys and spell delete mod again, thank god

Mmmkay

Hmm, well the game obviously heard me bitching because within mere minutes I was rolling in phat loot yesterday. I do think I might have put off the main quest just a tad too long though. I didn't start the Kvatch siege until around 10 hours (~level 13) in and boy was it not fun. I had already toned down the difficulty a tad because Clannfears were doing way more damage than I cared for in the Oblivion gate, but shit most battles in Kvatch there were 8 or so Flame Atronach's waiting for me at a time. Once I got inside the castle I was facing 3 or 4 Daedroth's. It was very touch and go at some points and that's with a Warrior'ish class and mainly Orcish armor.

Tabris

I think I just broke the game.

I got 3 cameleon 30% sigil stones and decided to make a secondary armour set that I called "Shadow *" with also night vision and feather... and well... I can attack people w/o them doing a thing. I can get away with anything in the game right now! Crazy.

I think I'll finish up all these oblivion gates (as they are getting boring now), then put the armour in storage, because I may as well have called them God Mode armour :)

Kweh

I don't fully understand how to use persuade.

Whats the number in the middle all about? And its divided into 4 sections, some are colored, some half coloured, some not. What do they mean?

LakeEarth

Kweh said:

Whats the number in the middle all about? And its divided into 4 sections, some are colored, some half coloured, some not. What do they mean?
You get to chose 4 different conversation tones, people will like a specific two and hate the other two. So what you have to do is select the two they like when the colouring is biggest, and select the ones they don't like when its coloured the least. The higher the number, the more they like you.

Aurora

Kweh said:

The number in the middle is basically the person's level of persuasion. The higher it is the better for you.

As for the 4 segments and their differences in size, the size reflects the "power" of persuasion caused. So for example, the person you are speaking to is not fond of Humour (as illustrated by their facial expression), if the segment size is at the largest and you select it you will reduce their level of persuasion quite a lot. On the flip side, if that person likes Humour then their level of persuasion will increase a fair bit.

The rule of the persuasion minigame is that you must eventually select all four segments, but in any order you wish. You will generally try to select a larger sized segment when it is over an area that will please the person, and you will want to select the smaller segments on areas that will displease the person.

Beat the main quest in Shivering Isles yesterday. Lots of fun, and Sheogoroth is a hoot.

Now I'm going back through and doing side quests and exploring more.

Aurora

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Beat the main quest in Shivering Isles yesterday. Lots of fun, and Sheogoroth is a hoot.

Overall, how happy were you with Shivering Isles? I plan on getting it eventually but I might be persuaded to get it sooner.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:

Did you ever try attacking him? That was...unexpected. :lol

I thought the writing on the Shivering Isles main quest was right up there with the Dark Brotherhood - good twists, lots of dark humor and great characters.

Aurora said:
Overall, how happy were you with Shivering Isles? I plan on getting it eventually but I might be persuaded to get it sooner.

As someone who has been critical of the DLC in the past, I found this to be well worth it. A nice size expansion with plenty to see and do and some nice new spells, items, and creatures. Good challenge for my 40th level character as well. I'd rate it right up there with the rest of Oblivion, just shorter, but again, I've mainly only done the main quest so far. Plenty of side quests and other things to explore.

GhaleonEB said:
Did you ever try attacking him? That was...unexpected. :lol

I thought the writing on the Shivering Isles main quest was right up there with the Dark Brotherhood - good twists, lots of dark humor and great characters.

:lol Yeah, I tried to attack him. Just to see what happens. :)

And I agree that it's right up there with the Dark Brotherhood. The dialog was awesome with a nice mix of humor and out right craziness. The main quest was pretty fun too, even though I could kind of predict where it was going.

Top Bottom