• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

MmmBeef

So, I've done some research. What sounds like a better deal for this game? As mentioned above, I'm running an Athlon XP Mobile 2500 clocked to 3200 speeds (2.2Ghz) and 1 Gig of Dual-channel ram:

1. Refurbished 6800gs 256mb AGP for $199 shipped, with only a 15-day refund-only warranty.

2. New Radeon X800gto 256mb AGP for $170 shipped. It lacks SM3.0 but it is in the recommended class of cards on the elderscrolls website.

I don't buy Consoles until they drop to $249 or lower so a 360 is out of the question and I won't be building a whole new rig until Conroe is at a reasonable price, Vista is at SP1 and DX10 HDMI Video Cards are plentiful.

(Straps danishes to either side of head) Help me, Oblivi-GAF, you're my only hope!

Draft

MmmBeef said:
So, I've done some research. What sounds like a better deal for this game? As mentioned above, I'm running an Athlon XP Mobile 2500 clocked to 3200 speeds (2.2Ghz) and 1 Gig of Dual-channel ram:

1. Refurbished 6800gs 256mb AGP for $199 shipped, with only a 15-day refund-only warranty.

2. New Radeon X800gto 256mb AGP for $170 shipped. It lacks SM3.0 but it is in the recommended class of cards on the elderscrolls website.

I don't buy Consoles until they drop to $249 or lower so a 360 is out of the question and I won't be building a whole new rig until Conroe is at a reasonable price, Vista is at SP1 and DX10 HDMI Video Cards are plentiful.

(Straps danishes to either side of head) Help me, Oblivi-GAF, you're my only hope!
why not buy it and see how it runs on your 9600.

MmmBeef

Draft said:
why not buy it and see how it runs on your 9600.

Well, sure, if I wanted to be all reasonable and everything but what's fun about that? Actually, someone at another forum will be getting the x800GTO and he has a similar setup to mine so I'm probably going to wait just a little bit. [Whine]But I wanna play noooooowwww!![/Whine]

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Got the call: Tomorrow night. Parma, Ohio Gamestop, btw. I have to stock up on Naked Juice and Blue Corn chips for the gaming marathon of a lifetime! Wooo!

atomsk

Party Pooper
i shouldnt have gone to the official forums :lol so sad with people in denial that some stores will have it in tomorrow "BUT BUT BUT ITS ILLEGAL!"

i'll play it a few hours a day this week but... next weekend

case of Vault + Oblivion = no sleep

when I grab it tomorrow (assuming the guy at best buy was right.. and he didn't seem clueless like the usual employee), I'll flood the forums with new screenshots so they can eat their words "DUDE! NO ONE WILL HAVE IT BEFORE THE 21st!! It SHIPPED ON the 20th!!"

and watch it go to "PETE/BETHESDA LIED TO US!!"

It will be classic and crow will be served :lol

Xdrive05

MmmBeef said:
Well, sure, if I wanted to be all reasonable and everything but what's fun about that? Actually, someone at another forum will be getting the x800GTO and he has a similar setup to mine so I'm probably going to wait just a little bit. [Whine]But I wanna play noooooowwww!![/Whine]

I dunno, I can vouch for the 6800GT (about the same as the GS) with your setup. I'm running an XP 2600+ mobile at 2.5 Ghz, NF7-s, and a gig of dual channel ram. It's a great setup for that card.

How will it run Oblivion? Not sure but if the low-midrange video is any indication, we should be more than fine.

:)

Xdrive05

Did anyone find out about the install/play process for the game? Do you have to have the DVD in the drive in order to start and run the game? Also, is there any DRM stuff?

I'd like to know because I want to run it on my girlfriend's computer too. I'm over at her place at least half the time and would like the convenience of not having to keep track of the disk or deal with DRM stuff. No big deal if so, just wanting to know.

Xdrive05 said:
Did anyone find out about the install/play process for the game? Do you have to have the DVD in the drive in order to start and run the game? Also, is there any DRM stuff?

I'd like to know because I want to run it on my girlfriend's computer too. I'm over at her place at least half the time and would like the convenience of not having to keep track of the disk or deal with DRM stuff. No big deal if so, just wanting to know.

It's using SecuROM, so I'd assume you'd need the DVD in to play--that's how Bethesda has always treated having it installed on multiple computers AFAIK.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Bah, the hell with that. I'm of the opinion that those who buy the CE version shouldn't have to deal with this shit. :/

I plan on picking up the collector's edition this tuesday (X360 FTW! )....

anyone have an idea how long the making of documentary is?

I'm really looking forward to it.......unless its only like 20mins

then again I read some positive stuff on the official site so will see.....

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
AgentOtaku said:
I plan on picking up the collector's edition this tuesday (X360 FTW! )....

anyone have an idea how long the making of documentary is?

I'm really looking forward to it.......unless its only like 20mins

then again I read some positive stuff on the official site so will see.....

The making of Oblivion documentary is about 45 minutes long. It focuses largely on us getting ready for last year's E3.

Xdrive05

PotatoeMasher said:
It's using SecuROM, so I'd assume you'd need the DVD in to play--that's how Bethesda has always treated having it installed on multiple computers AFAIK.

So then I can't, say, make a backup copy of the game? I thought that was perfectly legal. Anyone know?

SteveMeister said:
The making of Oblivion documentary is about 45 minutes long. It focuses largely on us getting ready for last year's E3.

Do you and Todd appear often? I love Pete, but I'm kinda sick of his mug at this point. :lol

SteveMeister said:

cool thx

thats sounds pretty good then :D

I imagine, with a sku priced at $70 dollars, I shouldn't have too much trouble picking this up at Walmart on tuesday.....

though this game is only costing me $20 because my in-laws were great and gave me a $50 gift card for Walmart!

whewt!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Vyse The Legend said:
Do you and Todd appear often? I love Pete, but I'm kinda sick of his mug at this point. :lol

I believe Steve's said before that while he was shot a bit, none of it made the final cut.

Speaking of you, Steve, do ragdolls pile (well)?

If I kill everyone in a town, can I create a mass grave pile?

See what you've created, Steve? :lol

Xdrive05

SnakeXs said:
I believe Steve's said before that while he was shot a bit, none of it made the final cut.

Jack Thompson's radar just went off! BETHESDA, PULL OUT BEFORE THE LAWSUIT!!!

:p

SnakeXs said:

We should have a contest or something when the game comes out to see who can store the most rediculous amount of stuff in a house\castle\what-not. SnakeXs can have a house full of bodies.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Benadryl Hitman said:
We should have a contest or something when the game comes out to see who can store the most rediculous amount of stuff in a house\castle\what-not. SnakeXs can have a house full of bodies.

You, sir, have a deal. :lol

Vyse The Legend said:
I call spoons... :lol
Oh dammit I was seriously typing that out when you posted it. I will have will have the greatest spoon collection the world has ever seen. Spoons from the four corners of the world.

*Edit: Maybe I should steal pants instead. You can never have enough pairs of pants.

Crow

I had the greatest Ordinator Helm collection in Morrowind. I would create pyramids out of them. I'll have to find a type of helm to collect in Oblivion.

golem

new Nvidia drivers tomorrow:
Our developer relations team worked closely with Bethesda to optimize game performance, which also included making some driver changes to fix/enhance performance in certain areas.
Our performance testing shows no two benchmark runs are identical in exterior scenes, due to Oblivion randomly placing grass and rocks, changing the amount of grass, and varying other aspects of the terrain.
http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MTc2OTcsLCxobmV3cywsLDE=

gblues

Banned
Here's my rig:

- Athlon XP 3000 (Barton)
- 1.5GB RAM (512MB now, 1GB upgrade arriving tomorrow)
- GeForce 6200 w/ 256MB RAM (AGP)

Am I going to be OK? I know it's got half as many pixel pipelines as a 6600/6800, but according to the Wikipedia entry it's still SM3.0 capable.

Nathan

Speevy

Banned
Crow said:
I had the greatest Ordinator Helm collection in Morrowind. I would create pyramids out of them. I'll have to find a type of helm to collect in Oblivion.

Ordinator helms are sold for Creeper money.

First provoke the ordinator, then beat him to death as quickly as possible so you don't alert other guards. Then sell what he's wearing, but try not to overburden yourself.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
gblues said:
Here's my rig:

- Athlon XP 3000 (Barton)
- 1.5GB RAM (512MB now, 1GB upgrade arriving tomorrow)
- GeForce 6200 w/ 256MB RAM (AGP)

Am I going to be OK? I know it's got half as many pixel pipelines as a 6600/6800, but according to the Wikipedia entry it's still SM3.0 capable.

Nathan

You're going to have similar results to that 2200/9800pro/1gb test from earlier in the thread, if not far worse. Faster cpu and much slower gpu.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/02/vga_charts_viii/page16.html

6200 is not equipped for modern pc gaming.

Burger

While at lunch today, I was looking up at the forested hills behind work, and I thought:

"I wonder if there is a dungeon up there?"

Weird...

eso76

Ghost said:
6pm PST so....2am GMT (something like that)

2 am ? eeeeek
Not that i'm ever going to sleep before 3 am anyway (when you work all day and you have several hobbies you have to find some time for yourself during the night) but that will probably prevent me from watching the show.
Which is good anyway: i wouldn't have resisted watching it otherwise, but i don't want to be spoiled; i want to experience the moment i'll get out of the first dungeon and the random wandering in tamriel myself.
Friday can't come soon enough...

SonnyBoy

Ok, when is this game dropping? Gamestop shows it as shipping today but Ive also been told that it should be available today. I have this bad boy preordered and Im itching to play it. :)

Tek

got the call from the Robo Gamestop Woman last night. I can pick mine up this afternoon.

Finally!! Finally this day is here!!! I should be out dancing not at work sitting!!

* dances in his mind *

Oh Happy Day!

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Someone will have to die if my copy isn't in today after being told it was.

Todays the day! Gonna be up late playing! Sweet! Now I have a little variety on my 360!

PGR3
GRAW
Oblivion

Might pick up Blazing Angels this week too.

Xdrive05

Borys said:
DON'T GO TO GAMESPOT'S OBLIVION FORUMS

Ending spoiled in every other post.

Shit! I had just openned up a browser to go there too! Fuck the internet. It's GAF or bust until I BEAT the game.

Thanks, man. :)

SonnyBoy

Dr_Cogent said:
Someone will have to die if my copy isn't in today after being told it was.

Todays the day! Gonna be up late playing! Sweet! Now I have a little variety on my 360!

PGR3
GRAW
Oblivion

Might pick up Blazing Angels this week too.
I guess Ill let my hopes go up a tiny bit now...

I think Im up to about 6 titles. Ive never owned this many games for any system this early in its life cycle.

We need some confirmation from someone once they get the physical copy of the game in their hands. I have six EBs/GameStops near me and knowing my luck I reserved a copy at the only one who won't get it. I need some reassurance that I might have it at the end of the day, I didn't get a robowoman call yesterday :-( .

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
oh man I'm jealous of you guys getting this before me!!

Take some nice pics of the collector's edition ya hear? :)

I'm gonna avoid all game spoilers though, wonder if Kasavin is gonna be able to fill 12 hours with any non-repetitive impressions. Or if he's largely going to play in silence...

Top Bottom