• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Xdrive05 said:
Shit! I had just openned up a browser to go there too! Fuck the internet. It's GAF or bust until I BEAT the game.

Thanks, man. :)

Yeah I really like the main quest's ending -- you will want it to be a surprise. Be careful where you read stuff. There are a lot of jerks out there.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
SteveMeister said:
Yeah I really like the main quest's ending -- you will want it to be a surprise. Be careful where you read stuff. There are a lot of jerks out there.

I'm on the fence about the guide myself. Does it reveal plot points in the game?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Xdrive05 said:
Shit! I had just openned up a browser to go there too! Fuck the internet. It's GAF or bust until I BEAT the game.

Thanks, man. :)

And this is why I fucking love GAF. It's not overrun by story spoiling ass hats.

Musashi Wins! said:
oh you bastards. I wasn't worried about the ending but now I hear the game is available today?!?!

I got the automated call form EB Games last night and they say my Collector's Edition copy will be in this afternoon (XBox360 version, I can't speak on the PC version). I live in the midwest so if this call wasn't a falst alarm, I exoect the game to be everywhere nation wide today. I came in early to work this morning so too, because I'm leaving work early to get my Oblivion on!! :lol

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Apharmd Battler said:
I got the automated call form EB Games last night and they say my Collector's Edition copy will be in this afternoon (XBox360 version, I can't speak on the PC version). I live in the midwest so if this call wasn't a falst alarm, I exoect the game to be everywhere nation wide today. I came in early to work this morning so too, because I'm leaving work early to get my Oblivion on!! :lol

christ, I'm going to be late for work everyday this week :(

Tek

From what it appears people located in the midwest region are being told to expect the game today, while others on the west, south and east coast are being told tomorrow.

I heard that Take Two's warehouse is located in Ohio so that might explain why some of us might get the game later today.

Harriburg, PA myself. It's not looking good here either. I'm being told tommorrow is the date. *sigh* I've waited this long. It still kind of sucks since I have off tommorrow and was hoping to spend the night playing the hell out of the game.

SonnyBoy

Apharmd Battler said:

I just called my local Gamestop and he told me tommorow.... =(

bengraven

Damn, I have to wait until Thursday for many reasons! No matter what option I come up with to go today or tomorrow to pick it up, I'm shot down. Hopefully, HOPEFULLY, Walmart will have the 360 CE Thursday or I'll be driving an hour away and store hopping.

Just one more question left: Steve or Vark, do we actually get recognition after the main quest? Will people call out praise to us on the street for our actions?

SonnyBoy

Tek said:
From what it appears people located in the midwest region are being told to expect the game today, while others on the west, south and east coast are being told tomorrow.

I heard that Take Two's warehouse is located in Ohio so that might explain why some of us might get the game later today.

That could definately play a role... I wish I knew more about how they shipped their stuff cus I could break it down for you guys.

I wonder how long UPS/Fedex etc. have had the packages especially since some places are getting them today. If the entire midwest are getting shipments today then that means that the stuff was in a trailer on friday night, waiting over the weekend and was sorted onto a package car today. The rest of the stuff going out via air had to wait over the weekend also and thats why its going out today and will get sorted to a HUB and then to a center where it'll be sorted onto a package car for delivery sometime tommorow.

I wish I had a tracking #....

Geoff9920 said:
Pennsylvania here, no dice. Gotta wait till tomorrow.
Futurevoid said:
Harriburg, PA myself. It's not looking good here either. I'm being told tommorrow is the date. *sigh* I've waited this long. It still kind of sucks since I have off tommorrow and was hoping to spend the night playing the hell out of the game.
Damn I guess that is probably going to make three of us PA GAFFERS then (Philadelphia here). I am going to call after work today and find out. If there warehouse is in Ohio, then you would think it would be in PA since we are the state next to them.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Holy shit, you guys are right. It's in all my area stores at 6pm (I'm in MI). GameStop will allow you to pre-order before 5 to guarantee it!!!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Musashi Wins! said:
Holy shit, you guys are right. It's in all my area stores at 6pm (I'm in MI). GameStop will allow you to pre-order before 5 to guarantee it!!!

Nice, now I'm all set for mad dissapointment if my Chicago Gamestop doesn't come through after work with my pre-order...

Tek

just called my Gamestop to confirm today's pickup and they said I could come in and pick it up after 1-2pm

I get off normally between 2-3pm....soon OBILIVIOTHON begins....

just why did my wife have to invite her dad over for dinner. How can I OBILIVOTHON with him sitting on the couch tellin me the old days of playin kick the can for fun.

He wont understand the OBILIVOTHON!!!

Tek said:
just called my Gamestop to confirm today's pickup and they said I could come in and pick it up after 1-2pm

I get off normally between 2-3pm....soon OBILIVIOTHON begins....

just why did my wife have to invite her dad over for dinner. How can I OBILIVOTHON with him sitting on the couch tellin me the old days of playin kick the can for fun.

He wont understand the OBILIVOTHON!!!

Where you from Tek? Another Midwestern?

Also, here's some
false
hope for some people.

Craved Fan said:
This morning, I called EB games to see if they had the game for sale. They said that it didn't go on sale until tomorrow but that I could reserve my copy (since they are running out of pre-orders). So, I scurried down to the mall and pre-ordered one. Then the guy said that he would call me later if it got there, because now the computers were showing that it would get there today instead of tomorrow. So, just because they say it won't be there over the phone, that doesn't mean it won't be there. Good luck to all in getting it!!!

Make those phones ring!

gblues

Banned
EviLore said:
You're going to have similar results to that 2200/9800pro/1gb test from earlier in the thread, if not far worse. Faster cpu and much slower gpu.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/02/vga_charts_viii/page16.html

6200 is not equipped for modern pc gaming.

Hmm... The 6200 they used for that comparison is the TurboCache model, which uses system memory instead of on-board memory. Although I'm not expecting incredibly high performance, I'm not sure it'll be quite that bad.

I'll find out tonight, I guess. ;)

Nathan

Ladies and Gents, we have our first winner!

proof.jpeg

He said he lives in the Indianapolis area.

His GamerTag: MCurley

Xdrive05

Vyse The Legend said:
Ladies and Gents, we have our first winner!

proof.jpeg

He said he lives in the Indianapolis area.

WHERE?

I live in Indianapolis! Where did he get it? (CompUSA just shot me down, btw)

jedimike

All of us NOT getting Oblivion today, should have a night of GRAW to ease our pain... looking at my Friends list tonight will be an envious experience.

Xdrive05

Vyse The Legend said:
He said EB. GO GO GO GO!!!!!

A shight. I can't do it now. I have a two hour class getting ready to start that I can't miss.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!1

Ah well.. I'll just wait for CompUSA's 39.99 (PC) tomorrow I guess.

I may have to give my EB a call after lunch. I'm not expecting it until tomorrow, but you never know. One more day isn't going to kill me, but it sure would be nice to have it early.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
It's like I've semi-ignored my anticipation for this title until it finally got here. Basically, this is the first "game you buy a system for" level of release. I really hope it allows all the creativity and sense of atmosphere the Xbox title did.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Well, the fuckers at Best Buy won't sell it to me since todays not the official "street date". The guy said they probably already have it in the back - but he can't sell it to me.

What bullshit.

EB won't have it until 5 PM they told me. That's cutting it close because I gotta be home so my wife can go to her hair appointment and I can take care of the kid. Arg!

gblues

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
Well, the fuckers at Best Buy won't sell it to me since todays not the official "street date". The guy said they probably already have it in the back - but he can't sell it to me.

What bullshit.

EB won't have it until 5 PM they told me. That's cutting it close because I gotta be home so my wife can go to her hair appointment and I can take care of the kid. Arg!

Print out this page of this thread (the one that shows the picture of the dude with his copy) and go back and show him proof that the street date is broken.

Nathan

Dr_Cogent

Banned
gblues said:
Print out this page of this thread (the one that shows the picture of the dude with his copy) and go back and show him proof that the street date is broken.

Nathan

They don't give a shit. I told them EB is going to sell it to me today - and they didn't care.

They won't break the street date. Fuckers!

I thought the street date to sell it retail is Thursday and today is for pre-orders\reserves? I think most of the store ads say "Available Thursday" or something like that.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Dr_Cogent said:
They don't give a shit. I told them EB is going to sell it to me today - and they didn't care.

They won't break the street date. Fuckers!

Go get it at EB, get your money back at BB. I'm doing that at another store.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
Go get it at EB, get your money back at BB. I'm doing that at another store.

Oh, I am definitely getting it at EB. I'm just trying to determine if I am going to buy it at Best Buy later, price match with the $45 dollar Comp USA price, and then return said item to EB so I can save the 15 bucks.

Benadryl Hitman said:
I thought the street date to sell it retail is Thursday and today is for pre-orders\reserves? I think most of the store ads say "Available Thursday" or something like that.

Street date is technically tomorrow the 21st.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Benadryl Hitman said:
Best Buy ad says available Tuesday. In most of my experiences with them, they have the game the day before that advertisted date, but isn't on the shelf until they open the next morning. They'll usually go into the back and get the game if you ask, though, which is technically selling it before THEIR "street date". So I don't know what the difference is with Oblivion.

I'm gonna call or stop by a couple of the BBs in my area later. If history repeats itself, I'll be able to get the game tonight. If not, I'll be there at opening in the morning. I'm on vacation, I've got nothing better to do. :lol

Dr_Cogent

Banned
vatstep said:
Best Buy ad says available Tuesday. In most of my experiences with them, they have the game the day before that advertisted date, but isn't on the shelf until they open the next morning. They'll usually go into the back and get the game if you ask, though, which is technically selling it before THEIR "street date". So I don't know what the difference is with Oblivion.

Well, they didn't go in the back for me!! DAMMIT!

pestul

What about Canadian GAFers? Futureshop webpage has the PC version out on Wednesday and the 360 one out Thursday? Any hope for us getting it before then.. and where?

Orodreth

Well, the gates have indeed opened but not the ones from oblivion but my "rational" defenses which prevented me from trying to spend too much.

The hype has finally break through them like some kind of psychonaut and i have just preordered the collectors edition from Game UK, 75 euros, and i´m considering getting the ost and guide ( my pocket am cry ), but it will be worth it, it better be ( still feel the pain from the perfect dark zero limited edit.) .

Would someone answer a previous question about pets and NPC companions ? how much is that aspect developed in the game ?

atomsk

Party Pooper
watching people melt down on the official boards is a fun way to pass the time for me waiting for the game.

last night someone kept going on about any store selling the game today is "ILLEGAL"

and today someone says anyone who posts screen shots are lying and they will be photoshops, and "no one!" will play the game before him, on the 21st.

man, people get really delusional. it's fun to watch

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So, any word on how many CEs are floating around? I'd like to obtain that version, but it could be difficult...

raYne

I may've missed the usual automated EB call, but I just got off the phone with my local EB(NY) and they're still sticking with the release being tomorrow.

:(

Tek

atomsk said:
watching people melt down on the official boards is a fun way to pass the time for me waiting for the game.

last night someone kept going on about any store selling the game today is "ILLEGAL"

and today someone says anyone who posts screen shots are lying and they will be photoshops, and "no one!" will play the game before him, on the 21st.

man, people get really delusional. it's fun to watch

I love the review a poster put up where its basically copy n paste job of all the previews. I hate those forums with a passion....but its entertaining to read while I wait for the end of my shift

Only 1-2 hours left till OBILIVOTHON!!!

GO GO GO GO!!

Top Bottom