• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Musashi Wins! said:
Midwest, apparently.

Confirmed. Local EB here outside of St. Louis told me he'd have it this afternoon for pre-order pickup and walk-in. He also said some shit about trading in two 360 games, but i tuned him out.

If anyone in Chicago finds a Best Buy that has it, let me know. I didn't pre-order and I should probably wait for Comp USA to get in, but nothing beats the satisfaction of getting a game the day it's released.

no, its the rocket launcher.
be happy the lonewolf from summit strike didnt make it. it was a camera gun and a grenade launcher

but back on the oblivion topic.......is this game fairly easy to figure out without a guide. im a newb at rpg's and i usually spring for the guides, but i dont think i want to drop 20 bucks on one

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
truffleshuffle83 said:
no, its the rocket launcher.

but back on the oblivion topic.......is this game fairly easy to figure out without a guide. im a newb at rpg's and i usually spring for the guides, but i dont think i want to drop 20 bucks on one

I think any game is pretty good without a guide, especially such a free form one. I just wanted the detailed maps and some skill/character building info. I don't mind having it for such a large game.

snatches said:
Can any Canadian Gaffers confirm if EB got there copies in today? I'm on the west coast, but any confirmation would be sweet.

I live in Kitchener Ontario and the shipment just came in at my local EB. I'm installing it as we speak!

Xdrive05

Okay, prntscrn didn't work. Let me try again.

Anyways, in the
prison cell where you first start off, I was getting around 20 - 30 fps sadly. But this is at 1280x1024, high settings, full HDR. But it WAS totally playable, so far. I'll try to get another screenshot. And yes, it IS beautiful.

Athlon XP @ 2500 MHz, 1 gig ram, 6800GT clocked past ultra speeds.

ijm72

Jugendstil said:
If anyone in Chicago finds a Best Buy that has it, let me know. I didn't pre-order and I should probably wait for Comp USA to get in, but nothing beats the satisfaction of getting a game the day it's released.
Im looking for a Best Buy in Chicago that has it too so if I find one I will post in here. If you find one then please post in here

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Guide is almost completely unnecessary for this game. Only the most dedicated would care to have it for enchanting, alchemy, and spellcrafting tables, min/max character creation, and maybe some quest guidelines.

Much of the appeal for this game, nay franchise, is that the barrier to entry demands nothing more than you to plop yourself in front of a monitor and do as you please.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
SnakeXs said:
No, even worse, it's the rocket launcher.

P.S. Camera Gun > You

:lol

Camera Gun I really think is cheap and unbalanced if you ask me.

Everyone should have it, or no one. It's just not good for MP.

OK, enough about GRAW. That's not what belongs in here.

Oblivion!

Xdrive05

Mr Pockets said:
dude...get a screen cap app...FRAPS ftw! ;P

Alright, getting ready to. The framerate just got a LOT better once you leave the... first place and so did the graphics. I can't believe my fucking eyes at how amazing the game looks and feels. The atmosphere is very great.

Dr_Cogent said:
Camera Gun I really think is cheap and unbalanced if you ask me.

Everyone should have it, or no one. It's just not good for MP.

OK, enough about GRAW. That's not what belongs in here.

Oblivion!

Amen, real men blow s*** up, not high behind walls and stick guns out like pansies. :D

Anyway, it's Subsistence for me tonight. ^__________^

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Brandon F said:
Guide is almost completely unnecessary for this game. Only the most dedicated would care to have it for enchanting, alchemy, and spellcrafting tables, min/max character creation, and maybe some quest guidelines.

Much of the appeal for this game, nay franchise, is that the barrier to entry demands nothing more than you to plop yourself in front of a monitor and do as you please.

Very true. But the guide features a sidebar entitled, "The Zen of Choice: An Eastern Perspective on Choosing a Race"

That rawks.

Argh! Hearing impressions from someone on GAF is making it harder to wait until tomorrow. Can't wait to see this game in all it's glory on my HDTV! :)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Musashi Wins! said:
Very true. But the guide features a sidebar entitled, "The Zen of Choice: An Eastern Perspective on Choosing a Race"

That rawks.

Haha, I actually read that sidebar over the weekend. Very cool and very funny after flipping through a couple dozen pages about how to create the ultimate class based avatar.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Benadryl Hitman said:
It's almost like a staggered 1 day US release, Northeast and Westcoast = Europe. I don't like being Europe.

At least you're not Australia.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Benadryl Hitman said:
It's almost like a staggered 1 day US release, Northeast and Westcoast = Europe. I don't like being Europe.

:lol

qft. I'm in Boston, and it feels like I'm in Siberia. No way in hell am I getting this early - I'll be lucky to get it tomorrow I feel like.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
RegularMK said:
Right now I'm sitting in my underwear.

And I want Oblivion.

If you really want a copy, you'll pull those britches down and head on over to your local games retailer. They'll give you a copy, dude.

Xdrive05

It just crashed on me when I was going through some of the menus. Might be an unstable OC on my processor or something, I dunno.

Here's some screens:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/Oblivion2006-03-2015-46-32-68.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/Oblivion2006-03-2015-46-48-61.jpg

I was getting between 20 and 40 fps in this room, depending on how many characters were onscreen. The gameplay pacing is reserved, so this is very playable at 20 or less. Maybe when the new optimized nvidia drivers come out it will get better. Other rooms were getting me 40 to 60 so far.

RegularMK

urk said:
If you really want a copy, you'll pull those britches down and head on over to your local games retailer. They'll give you a copy, dude.

Alas, such a noble action would more than likely result in a hefty fine distributed by the authorites. Not to mention I live in the midwest and no store has received it yet. :(

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
RegularMK said:
Alas, such a noble action would more than likely result in a hefty fine distributed by the authorites. Not to mention I live in the midwest and no store has received it yet. :(

I'm in the Midwest, about twenty minutes from St. Louis, and my local EB has it for sale. Where are you at?

railGUN

Banned
snatches said:
Can any Canadian Gaffers confirm if EB got there copies in today? I'm on the west coast, but any confirmation would be sweet.

In Victoria, BC my EB said not till tomorrow... though I might try again before works over just in case.

Pimpbaa

Xdrive05 said:
It just crashed on me when I was going through some of the menus. Might be an unstable OC on my processor or something, I dunno.

I hope so (or at least just a rare crash). I'll be incredibly disappointed if it's as unstable as morrowind.

Rhindle

For those in Frys-enabled regions:

pestul

Xdrive05 said:

Here's some screens:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/Oblivion2006-03-2015-46-32-68.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/Oblivion2006-03-2015-46-48-61.jpg

I was getting between 20 and 40 fps in this room, depending on how many characters were onscreen. The gameplay pacing is reserved, so this is very playable at 20 or less. Maybe when the new optimized nvidia drivers come out it will get better. Other rooms were getting me 40 to 60 so far.
Oh fuck.. I might need to buy the PC version. My x800pro (unlocked 16 pipes and oc'ed to 850XT speeds) can probably handle this fine. :p

paul777

Banned
I just called my EB to make sure they would have it and they said tomorrow. They were saying today when I called them yesterday; I wonder why they changed their plans.

Wulfer

I can't wait for the crazy Bethesda PR releases. "Oblivion sells out all 360's this is gonna get good." I called it, Oblivion 360's first AAA+ title and system seller! Also, the reason I buy a 360. :D Edited for above AAA status...

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
urk said:
I'm in the Midwest, about twenty minutes from St. Louis, and my local EB has it for sale. Where are you at?

Nowhere in Kansas City has it so the Midwest hypothesis isn't 100% correct. I honestly think it hinges on how lazy your GS/EB's district manager is.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
WULFER said:
I can't wait for the crazy Bethesda PR releases. "Oblivion sells out all 360's this is gonna get good." I called it, Oblivion 360's first AAA title and system seller! Also, the reason I buy a 360. :D

360's first AAA title already shipped. It's called Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter.

Wulfer

Nope, I think Oblivion will be in a class of it's own AAA+ status! :D Also, the xbox haters are gonna be out in full force if PS3 doesn't get this game.

WULFER said:
Nope, I think Oblivion will be in a class of it's own! :D Also, the xbox haters are gonna be out in full force if PS3 doesn't get this game.
Who cares, it sounds like many of us are getting it for PC anyway.

Vark

Xdrive05 said:
Alright, getting ready to. The framerate just got a LOT better once you leave the... first place and so did the graphics. I can't believe my fucking eyes at how amazing the game looks and feels. The atmosphere is very great.

About your screencaps. If AA is turned on then print screen doesn't work. also go to your 'My Games' directory in your user folder and there should be an oblivion folder with an 'Oblivion.ini' there's a bEnableScreenshot=0 in there probably, change the 0 to 1

Vieo

How deep is character customization at character creation? Can you make your own face? If so, is it more in-depth than The Sims 2 or less? Also, can you choose body-types of scale your body-size?

Wolffen

Vieo said:
How deep is character customization at character creation? Can you make your own face? If so, is it more in-depth than The Sims 2 or less? Also, can you choose body-types of scale your body-size?

Well, not sure about body types, but as far as faces go, you have a fair bit of customization:
oblivion-media-hot-new-andy-version-now-with-added-thumbnails-20060224070359930.jpg

Top Bottom