• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
oh man, hot screens. This game looks friggin ace. Friday cant come soon enough.

ok guys - what kind of characters will you be going for at the start? I'm torn between choices so wanna hear others and maybe reasons why you chose one over another if you can be bothered!

Xdrive05

Teknopathetic said:
Looks nice, I'm hoping my 3700+/6600GT can come close to that. :-/

You have a lot better processor than me, so that's on your side. I'll install this in my girlfriend's pc tomorrow to see about the 6600gt. Be optimistic, because I'm maxing this game out (sans AA) and averaging 30 - 40 fps so far. I still haven't made it outdoors yet though.

atomsk

Party Pooper
just picked up my copy here in peoria IL. they had tons.

apparently at some point i paid the whole thing off. i dont even remember doing that. then again i did reserve it back in june, and i can barely remember what i did last week.

but now i have to go fix my friends computer. =(
my friend is lucky she's an attractive girl, otherwise i'd be all about not leaving the house right now. hopefully i can get that shit done ASAP

Tek

yeah the outer sleeve comes off. Its just like the Extended Versions of the Lord of the Rings DVDs....I still havent played....waiting to get my son in bed and eat dinner, so that way I can just keep playing.

I doubt I would/want to put this down once I start playing it

Xdrive05

Speevy said:
So when you say the face customization is good, are we talking Tiger Woods good?

Hmmm. I haven't played TW, but it is very, very customizeable.

There are a ton of sliders for EACH aspect of the face. So there are a set of sliders for the nose, like proportion, fatness, width, tallness (bridge of nose), etc. And a set for the chin, forehead, browline (I think), other specifics, and then overall face proportions.

Some of the sliders move multiple sliders when manipulated. So if you move the width slider, the fatness and tallness and other sliders also move slightly to keep in proportion. Then of course there's eye color, skin tone, etc. I just kind of hurried through it so I may be missing other stuff too.

It's certainly the most fleshed out one I personally have ever seen.

Xdrive05

By the way, the battle system feels GREAT! It's so satisfying to slam an arrow through the head of your enemy and have them twist backwards to pile on the ground. It's a lot more hands on and less "grinding", so you have to time your blocks and the different types of melee swings, and even pay attention to your aim, for best affect.

SteveMeister said:
The "One Day To Go" video is up at http://www.elderscrolls.com. Also you can now download the TES Construction Set, and there's a Construction Set Wiki linked from the main website as well.
SteveMeister, where is this wiki link you mentioned, I can't find it anywhere on the page. I want to see the difficulty in creating faces.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
BAM!

Though I've never done it before, it took me all of 10 minutes to remove my old 2x512mb memory sticks and slot in the just-arrived 2x1gb sticks! 2gbs of RAM and Oblivion on its way! Can't wait! In the mean time, more Metroid!

Xdrive05

Benadryl Hitman said:
SteveMeister, where is this wiki link you mentioned, I can't find it anywhere on the page. I want to see the difficulty in creating faces.

What was Steve's job on Oblivion?

raYne

TwIsTeD said:
just got my automated call......fuckin tomorrow.....GRAW! :lol
Yep, literally just got off the phone with my automated call as well. Same deal.

Which of course sucks, since there are people on my friends list who are playing it at the moment.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
They called me. Told me it's waiting for me at the store. But I still can't leave. This better be the best hairdo my wife has ever had.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Dr_Cogent said:
They called me. Told me it's waiting for me at the store. But I still can't leave. This better be the best hairdo my wife has ever had.
:lol

Fuma

Banned
raYne said:
Yep, literally just got off the phone with my automated call as well. Same deal.

Which of course sucks, since there are people on my friends list who are playing it at the moment.

You guys must be on the east coast..just got mine as well.

Burger

Zensetsu said:
Any idea on the release date in AUS? I've been away from the internet for a week and a bit due to moving. :(

Well copies have arrived in New Zealand, I guess they are on sale Wed/Thurs in AU as well.

mid-west FTW. Bloomington, IN had it today. it sits on my desk as we speak. can't play it (fried video card remember?) so i watched the documentary with my wife. it was cool enough.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Quick impressions from about 90 min. of play:

Just got out of the
prison
. Holy SHIT! The scenery is truely beautiful. I'm carrying so much stuff I had to drop a few things to proceed. I picked my occupation as a thief, and my birthsign as, you guessed it, the thief. I'm using primarily Iron Bow and Iron Arrows for now. I had a kill where
I was at the top of some stone stairs. At the bottom, a female thief stood, talking off screen to another npc. I drew an arrow, and let go, hitting her square in the head. She fell, dead(3x damage bonus for stealth, woo!). Her friend immediatly comes running up the stairs after me. I let an arrow go and hit him in the stomach. He stammors, but continues on, swinging his battle axe. I back up, and he comes to the top of the stairs. I fire an arrow again, hitting him in the chest. He flies back down the stairs from the impact, and rests at the bottom, next to his friend. I go down, and pillage what goods they had on them. I'm an asshole.
. Must play more!

Fifty

Argh I can't decide on which race to choose. I'd like to be able to complete all 3 guilds' quests if that's possible.

Helznicht

Thanks Coin. Looks like ill be going to Best Buy Tommorow Morning and will be using my credit at Blockbuster on something else.

Any comment on the Graphics?

AeroGod

Some of the 360 details are kinda dissapointing. At least, now I know alot of these screens and videos from the past few days are DEFINATLY from a super powerful PC version. Some of it is still impressive and I havnt seen THAT much of the game but having just got done playing GRAW the past few days I think Its the better looking game overall and even has the better framerate. Oblivion 360 gets choppy every once and awhile. Nice load times though, with the exception of the obvious bigger ones its very short and walking around the world its almost unnoticeable. Also, maybe its just me, but the character movement is a little bit slippery.

Besides that stuff, its an awesome game. Tons of options, good voice acting, good music, the combat system is like 5 million times better then Morrowind which is HUGE for me because that was my least favorite part of Morrowind. Ive only scratched the surface. I havnt even really done any quests yet. I got out of the dungeon/sewer and ran around the city and forest.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
OMFG the draw distance is insane
im looking at a bridge a few clicks in the distance wow :eek:

takes me 5 minutes to get there baha man awesome :D

Xdrive05

Okay, outdoor shots by popular demand:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/Oblivion202006-03-202020-14-16-04.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/OB2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/OB3.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/OB4.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/OB5.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/OB6.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/OB7.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/OB8.jpg

A couple notes: These are MAXED settings, minus character self-shadow (my current drivers make it blocky) and with NO AA or AF, but WITH HDR. The skybox and day/night cycles are PHENOMINAL. The rocks and terrain are all bumpmapped and are properly lighted as the sun rises/falls. It's really awesome.

Framerates were pretty bad outside. They settled at about 14fps at the worst parts and about 22 at the best. In the 40s if you look straight up at the sky. Still very playable but I think I'm going to back off of some of the settings, especially the grass as that seems to kill it the most.

The game just keeps getting better and better. IF there is anyone still undecided, take my word for it that so far it's amazing. I'm sure it will only get better and deeper from here.

Xdrive05

Pimpbaa said:
Has the game crashed on you anymore?

Nope, I kicked back my FSB overclock and haven't has a single problem since. It was just a hardware issue on my end. The game is perfectly stable so far. And performance is really scalable.

Pimpbaa

Xdrive05 said:
Nope, I kicked back my FSB overclock and haven't has a single problem since. It was just a hardware issue on my end. The game is perfectly stable so far. And performance is really scalable.

Excellent, that's exactly what I wanna hear.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Wollan said:
The Gamespot live feed, I can't find it anywhere on the site. Anyone know where?

I can't find it either.

Edit - The link is up now. I'm avoiding the chat because I know some prick is going to spoil the ending or something.

mikeGFG

Banned
Wollan said:
The Gamespot live feed, I can't find it anywhere on the site. Anyone know where?

It's plastered all over their 360 page. I'm sure just before it's live, the placeholder will start showing the footage.

I don't want to thread crap.. but I was browsing the official forums (I know, probably a bad idea) and I came across someone who had posted this picture..

settings on max, 1280x1024..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/Robobandit/huh2.jpg

It looks great.. and then it just... *stops* does that kinda bother anyone else? The drop of detail isn't even gradual..

it wouldn't be noticable if the rest of the game didn't look so gorgeous, but that texture out there is far below Morrowind quality, hell.. Everquest 1 had nicer textures.. I hope modders can do something about that =/

Obviously, this in no way will ruin the fun of playing such an awesome game, but I won't lie and say it isn't disappointing.

Sjoerd

It looks like...

A Bethesda game.

Somehow everybody became interrested in this game because of it's graphics. Guess this a bit of a letdown for them.

Sjoerd said:
It looks like...

A Bethesda game.

Somehow everybody became interrested in this game because of it's graphics. Guess this a bit of a letdown for them.

well, I loved Morrowind despite all of its flaws and I played it countless hours.. so I'm not interested in Oblivion for graphics.. but given that so much effort was put into the graphics (obviously) it looks sloppy for it to just drop off like that.

I should note that I probably won't give a shit when i'm playing the game tomorrow, but it was something that I noticed in the lower detail german shots and had been hoping it wouldn't look that way on high.

Top Bottom