• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Wulfer

Nope, too busy playing the superior version on my PC but hey - thanks for asking !!!

Well, I look forward to playing it on both where I work and I get paid for it (2nd job or should I say fun cool job) hehe. Paid to play Oblivion, I'm glad I moved away from EB/Gamestop...

No body customization, but I'd say the face generation is up there with EA's editors, if not more. There's like 10 options for the eyebrows alone!

Pimpbaa

The no body customization is disappointing but no doubt will be fixed with alternate bodies done by modders (I need a more shapely female!).

Xdrive05

Benadryl Hitman said:
How big is your Oblivion folder, I'm curious how large it is.

4.35gb

A few tech points:

1.) The loading times are incredibly fast. It's litterally about 6 seconds to load on my SATA 8mb cache Hdd.

2.) Also, I don't think it uses much RAM (yet at least), because when I exit the game, it snaps to the desktop without hesitation. Other games, like BF2, take a little while to recover the desktop because of how much RAM they use.

3.) It seems like the engine has some kind of conditional vsync aspect. It seems to "lock" at 20fps, 30fps, or higher, depending on the scene being renderred. It's kind of nice because it keeps the framerate from jumping all over the place (23, then 34, then 21, etc.). It may all be in my head but it seems unusual that it sticks to fixed framerates like that. It's a definite plus, imo.

u_neek

Lotsa new PC and X360 screens at GR: http://www.gamereactor.dk/bilder/?textid=61870&id=23257

X360:

elderscrolls4_23287.jpg

elderscrolls4_23280.jpg

elderscrolls4_23282.jpg

elderscrolls4_23291.jpg

elderscrolls4_23281.jpg

PC:

elderscrolls4_23276.jpg

elderscrolls4_23271.jpg

elderscrolls4_23266.jpg

elderscrolls4_23268.jpg

elderscrolls4_23259.jpg

Protip: Before you exit the first dungeon, make a save game and keep it handy. If you load from this position, you can change anything about your character (including race and face) without having to play through the first section again.

Xdrive05 said:
4.35gb

2.) Also, I don't think it uses much RAM (yet at least), because when I exit the game, it snaps to the desktop without hesitation. Other games, like BF2, take a little while to recover the desktop because of how much RAM they use.
Not as large as I thought it would be with the tons of voice acting. The RAM thing sounds good because I know exactly what you mean, it takes like a 1 minute when I close BF2 before all the memory is released, it is so annoying.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
truffleshuffle83 said:
my eb's have them in . all three in dayton OH

I just got off the phone to confirm with my local that they would sell to walk-ins. EBJoe stated that they had, "like a million copies."

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Vyse The Legend said:
I heard it's a slip cover like PErfect Dark's LE. So the ugly x360 banner isn't on the actual box. Tek can confirm this hopefully.

Well, you can see the game case seperated from the box in the shots above, so yeah.

Xdrive05

Okay, I'm an idiot. I DID have vsync turned on (it defaulted). Hell, now my fps just shot through the roof! I'm averaging in the 40s instead of 20's to 30's. And now I have self shadow enabled and that didn't affect performance on my system.

ijm72

I just called 3 Best Buys in Chicago and those fuckers told me that they have the game but that they can't sell it until tomorrow because they can't break the street date.

Pimpbaa

Xdrive05 said:
Okay, I'm an idiot. I DID have vsync turned on (it defaulted). Hell, now my fps just shot through the roof! I'm averaging in the 40s instead of 20's to 30's. And now I have self shadow enabled and that didn't affect performance on my system.

Yeah, vsync can be a major frame rate killer if the game doesn't have (or at least the option for) triple buffering. Without triple buffering and vsync on, your framerate will half if it can't reach whatever your monitors refresh rate is. And if it can't reach half your refresh rate, then it will go down another half of that (and so on).

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
My call to my local EB (Everett, WA at the mall!)

Me : Will you guys have Oblivion for sale today?

EB : Today is the ship day.

Me : So no? YOu won't have it there for sale today?

EB : Teleportation technology is not advanced enough for it to be here today.

Me : Huh?

EB : UPS is just not up to warp speed yet.

Me : Could you just say "yes" or "no"

EB : No

Me : No you are not getting it today to sell?

EB : No, I can't say just yes or no...I'm kidding, no, we will sell it tomorrow.

Me : Ok thanks.

EB : Would you like to preorder it?

Me : No thanks I did already.

EB : Good, it will be here tomorrow, we will call you.

Bascially there were a few more comment as I asked if he is getting a lot of calls today (they are flooded with em he said). I wasn't trying to be a dork, he just sounded "jokey" while I talked to him...lol

Warp speed!

u_neek

Mr Pockets said:
My call to my local EB (Everett, WA at the mall!)

Me : Will you guys have Oblivion for sale today?

EB : Today is the ship day.

Me : So no? YOu won't have it there for sale today?

EB : Teleportation technology is not advanced enough for it to be here today.

Me : Huh?

EB : UPS is just not up to warp speed yet.

Me : Could you just say "yes" or "no"

EB : No

Me : No you are not getting it today to sell?

EB : No, I can't say just yes or no...I'm kidding, no, we will sell it tomorrow.

Me : Ok thanks.

EB : Would you like to preorder it?

Me : No thanks I did already.

EB : Good, it will be here tomorrow, we will call you.

Bascially there were a few more comment as I asked if he is getting a lot of calls today (they are flooded with em he said). I wasn't trying to be a dork, he just sounded "jokey" while I talked to him...lol

Warp speed!

196.jpg

i called in there and they suggested i come in and preorder it. im like dude your gonna be selling it an hour when you get it, why would i drive up there and preorder it . then yesterday i was in gamestop and they asked me if i was bringing them trades. i was in plain sight, no bags..no buly coat no nothing just jeans and a t-shirt , im like yeah i stashed them in my crotch so nobody would take them before i trade them in. magazine racks watch out!!!

Pimpbaa

Robobandit said:
yeah, it does have auto detect.. then you can do tweaking from there :)

Thank god, I think I may have OCD and tweaking it from scratch trying to get the optimal performance would drive me mad :lol

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Coin Return said:
Just got home with the 360 version. The character customization is nuckin futs! See you guys in a few months. :p

Bastards. Saw you and Aerogod playing just now. Cya in a few months.

golem

grr all the gamestops/ebs here are saying tomorrow... if anyone hears of any los angeles stores selling today, let me know!!

urk said:
Confirmed. Local EB here outside of St. Louis told me he'd have it this afternoon for pre-order pickup and walk-in. He also said some shit about trading in two 360 games, but i tuned him out.

Outside St Louis? Where do you live? I'm in Alton, I don't know any gaffers around here.

Xdrive05

Geoff9920 said:
We want details!!!

Like that's gonna happen

Every little aspect of the model can be customized, as in forhead / chin proportions, skin tones, and size ratios, etc. It's nuckin futs indeed.

:)

Top Bottom