• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Playing on 360...

First of all, the game is indeed amazing. When I first stepped out from the sewers, the view before me combined with the music made for one memorable moment. Wow.

That brings me to my one major complaint; the handling of the music. With a soundtrack this good, it shocks me that they handled it in such a crummy fashion. Did nobody care? I'm sure Jeremy isn't too pleased. As those playing have heard, basically, the second an enemy appears on screen, the game immediately cuts to a battle tune and, after they are defeated, switches back to the regular tune. The transition (or lack of) is incredibly jarring. That isn't the main issue, however. After the battle is complete, the game switches to a different song. Nothing is worse than exploring to a powerful piece of music, only to be interrupted by a battle, causing this issue to occur. It may sound crazy, but in a game where I feel atmosphere is extremely important, this is quite an oversight and will bother me throughout the game. Perhaps I'll simply overlay the soundtrack via the custom option or something.

Ah well, outside of that, it rocks. Everything feels so much more solid, though still very PC. Coming off of the ultra polished FFXII, you can see that this is a bit rough, but it's still miles ahead of Morrowind and it doesn't take away from the experience. Everything seems well designed and should provide for a great experience. I can't go too much into gameplay yet, as I don't know quite enough, but it seems familiar, but improved.

The visuals are fantastic and seem to be running at one of the higher levels of detail on 360. For the most part, the game also maintains 30 fps. There are dips when lots of lights and models are on screen, but walking around the world is very smooth. It runs so much better than MW on XBOX and also loads very quickly. The image quality is also outstanding, as the game does not appear jaggy in the least and everything has a super clean look to it.

Well, back to it.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Mike G.E.D. said:
It's plastered all over their 360 page. I'm sure just before it's live, the placeholder will start showing the footage.

Yeah it's on now, 755Kbps stream too so I'm watching it full screen :D

dark10x

Not a great shot (camera battery was almost dead, so I took this before digging out the charger without a particularly steady aim), but I thought the area was quite breathtaking. I'm sure this is only one of many beautiful vistas. THIS was the kind of awe missing from Morrowind. Absolutely beautiful, especially in motion with all the trees blowing around.

tes4_1.jpg

dark10x

GreekWolf said:
360 version? Nice indeed
Yeah, you gotta see it in person. Absolutely stunning. The movement of the trees, the water, the sound around you, and the dash of colors which the shot doesn't fully capture. Unreal.

Wandering around at night right now and the atmosphere is excellent. The sky is absolutely beautiful.

u_neek

I don't know who I envy the most; you guys or the guys playing FFXII!
... ok, the guys playing FFXII but damn I want this game!

man that tutorial gets you pumped for the game

the create a hero is akin to a wrestling game (with all the damn sliders for looks)

the dungeon you start in is a nice tutorial mode without totally seeming like a tutorial, the detail is just awesome physics on everything (see a rat full of my arrows barrel roll down slopes ragdoll style is sweet). Just finally got out of the first area into the wilderness and its stunning I can see where kobunheat was talking about the green areas the game uses some texture "lod" in the distance (and as textures get closer they get more and more detailed) but its just a small quibble as the game thus far LOOKS and PLAYS awesome, 2 things I thought morrowind seemed devoid of *at least starting out a game*.

and of course everything just seems "deep", i liked the fact not everything on an enemy is lootable, meaning if a guard dies you cant just steal all his nice weapons, they seem to have a "loot items" that may not totally reflect everything they are wearing.

awesome game so far, stevemeister and VARK good job!

raYne

Sysgen said:
Why do you want more pics. If you're gouing to post pics post links and not the pic. I want to discover it for myself :)
Exactly the reason why I avoided this thread for the most part.

The pics aren't too bad, but all the discussion about what you can do (or experience) not to mention those watching the Gamespot feed (wtf people why bother playing it then?) are just spoiling half the fun for themselves.

dark10x

u_neek said:
I don't know who I envy the most; you guys or the guys playing FFXII!
... ok, the guys playing FFXII but damn I want this game!
*looks over at copies of FFXII and Oblivion*

Should I feel bad?

Pellham

Banned
Sjoerd said:
It looks like...

A Bethesda game.

Somehow everybody became interrested in this game because of it's graphics. Guess this a bit of a letdown for them.

Shit, if it WASN'T a Bethseda game, I would have totally ignored it. The nice graphics are just icing on what will no doubt be one of the greatest RPGs ever made.

Speevy

Banned
I'm getting my copy tomorrow.

dark10x: Glad to hear you like it. Try custom soundtracks if you're up to it. I know you have an extensive selection of tracks.

cicero

Xdrive05 said:
Okay, outdoor shots by popular demand:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/Oblivion202006-03-202020-14-16-04.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/OB2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/OB3.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/OB4.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/OB5.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/OB6.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/OB7.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Xdrive/OB8.jpg

A couple notes: These are MAXED settings, minus character self-shadow (my current drivers make it blocky) and with NO AA or AF, but WITH HDR. The skybox and day/night cycles are PHENOMINAL. The rocks and terrain are all bumpmapped and are properly lighted as the sun rises/falls. It's really awesome.

Framerates were pretty bad outside. They settled at about 14fps at the worst parts and about 22 at the best. In the 40s if you look straight up at the sky. Still very playable but I think I'm going to back off of some of the settings, especially the grass as that seems to kill it the most.

The game just keeps getting better and better. IF there is anyone still undecided, take my word for it that so far it's amazing. I'm sure it will only get better and deeper from here.
What kind of setup do you have? I am assuming you are on a PC because you mention changing settings.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
right now im starting to think
going into a plane of oblivion as a level 1 knight was a really stupid idea :(

dark10x

Framerates were pretty bad outside. They settled at about 14fps at the worst parts and about 22 at the best. In the 40s if you look straight up at the sky. Still very playable but I think I'm going to back off of some of the settings, especially the grass as that seems to kill it the most.
This is interesting...

The 360 version really does appear to be running at a very high (if not the highest) level of detail...yet it runs quite smooth most of the time. Outdoor exploration is, as I said, a fairly smooth 30 fps with occasional drops (but nothing major). I also noticed that load times only seem to apply to entry. Enter a house and you get a quick load...but leave the house, and there is no loading (even when you cross multiple load screens, such as in a dungeon).

"This is interesting...

The 360 version really does appear to be running at a very high (if not the highest) level of detail...yet it runs quite smooth most of the time. Outdoor exploration is, as I said, a fairly smooth 30 fps with occasional drops (but nothing major). I also noticed that load times only seem to apply to entry. Enter a house and you get a quick load...but leave the house, and there is no loading (even when you cross multiple load screens, such as in a dungeon)."

Keep in mind that he's playing on an Athlon XP 2600+ and a 6800GT.

I'd say given his machine that's pretty nice performance.

Pellham

Banned
I know it's dumb to ask now since the game will be mine tomorrow, but anyone got a rig similar to mine who has the game? Dual 7800GTX SLI (eVGA OCs to be exact), Athlon 64 4000+, 2gig RAM.

Half Life 2: Lost Coast clocked in at 64fps on my box, so i'm fairly confident I can run Oblivion maxed out, just wanted to see if anyone else has tried. :)

Xdrive05

cicero said:
What kind of setup do you have? I am assuming you are on a PC because you mention changing settings.

Athlon XP @ 2500 MHz
1gig dual channel ram
6800GT @ 420x1150

I only average about 20fps outdoors with the settings cranked all the way up, and it sometimes drops to like 13 or so. Especially with many characters onscreen at once. I hope those new Nvidia drivers (out tomorrow, I think) work some real magic or else I'm going to have to scale back a bit to be comfortable. It's still very playable, btw.

:)

dark10x

Teknopathetic said:
Keep in mind that he's playing on an Athlon XP 2600+ and a 6800GT.

I'd say given his machine that's pretty nice performance.
Well, that makes more sense.

I'm glad to see that the 360 version was not reduced in any way. Morrowind on XBOX was clearly behind the PC version in a number of ways back in 2002, for example.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Pedigree Chum said:
I would, I like playing games like this in 3rd person.

In Morrowind's case, horrible animation + being unable to carefully direct yourself (to say, look at and pick up a certain object on a packed shelf) = no thanks.

I doubt that's changed.

Plus, this is one of those times where first person just makes it tons more immersive.

As was said, though, just wait and see. :lol

atomsk

Party Pooper
alright, playing the 360 version, and i've got some odd loading issues.

sometimes when i go to inspect a chest, it sits there for a good 15 seconds before it lets me see the inside of a chest. or if someone is about to talk to be it'll act like it locks up, for about 15 seconds.

normal loading, or is my 360 screwed. :lol

i died in the tutorial because of it. stupid king trying to talk to me while i'm trying not to die

cicero

Pellham said:
I know it's dumb to ask now since the game will be mine tomorrow, but anyone got a rig similar to mine who has the game? Dual 7800GTX SLI (eVGA OCs to be exact), Athlon 64 4000+, 2gig RAM.

Half Life 2: Lost Coast clocked in at 64fps on my box, so i'm fairly confident I can run Oblivion maxed out, just wanted to see if anyone else has tried. :)
If you could, it would be great to have you comment on how it runs once you try it. :)

DopeyFish said:
i got mine from EB in toronto :)

Hm... I have $100 @ futureshop. I really want to pick it up before I leave on thursday morning for my ski trip. But futureshop says thursday, which i find a bit far-fetched considering the fact that it's being sold pretty much everywhere else. :(

Speevy

Banned
atomsk said:

sometimes when i go to inspect a chest, it sits there for a good 15 seconds before it lets me see the inside of a chest. or if someone is about to talk to be it'll act like it locks up, for about 15 seconds.

i died in the tutorial because of it. stupid king trying to talk to me while i'm trying not to die

As usual, listen to what your disk is doing, see if others are having the same problem, and try other games.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Super quick impressions.

Took me about an hour to make my character. Yes, an hour.

Game seems sweet so far with the little dungeon crawling I've done. Graphics are cool. There is slight stutter from time to time when the game is loading - but it's not a show stopper.

Kudos to the sound design, sounds seem way better than they were in the last title.

Pellham said:

low, 640 480, no shadows, and -nosound in commandline

dark10x

atomsk said:

No way is that normal. Better check your 360 with other games...

Helznicht

Originally Posted by atomsk:

normal loading, or is my 360 screwed.

Try making ALOT of space on the HD. Delete a bunch of crap off.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Helznicht said:
Try making ALOT of space on the HD. Delete a bunch of crap off.

Don't bother, thats not how it works.

There is space dedicated to games and other space dedicated to users.

What you should do is see how other games perform, and then if you still have problems - call 18004MYXBOX

The disc may be defective. Have it replaced if only it displays this sort of behavior, while other games run fine. Tell them where you bought it that it doesn't play on your box. It's a bum disc. Try the new disc - and if the problem persist. Call MS

18004MYXBOX

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
ok it's obvious i don't level up the same way as i did in morrowind... my progress meter is full and im hitting back to rest but it's not giving me the level up dialogs :(

edit: oohhh i must use a bed this time

makes sense

ZombieSupaStar said:
and of course everything just seems "deep", i liked the fact not everything on an enemy is lootable, meaning if a guard dies you cant just steal all his nice weapons, they seem to have a "loot items" that may not totally reflect everything they are wearing.

Wait wait wait, what does that mean?

Xdrive05

Okay it looks like dropping the resolution to 1024x768 nearly doubles my framerate when outdoors and in cities. It never goes below 35 now and usually runs in the 40s to 60's. I'm loving the smoothness but I can't stand those jaggies. Decisions decisions. :p

Top Bottom