• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Pellham

Banned
Speevy said:
You'll understand when you play it. :lol

I liked switching between 3rd/1st in Morrowind. I would be in 3rd most of the time but switched to 1st for combat/picking items up/selecting things.

DopeyFish said:
ok it's obvious i don't level up the same way as i did in morrowind... my progress meter is full and im hitting back to rest but it's not giving me the level up dialogs :(

Didn't you actually have to SLEEP to level up in Morrowind? Like find-a-bed-sleep and not just camp-out-in-town-sleep?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
he drops his weapons

you pick them up around the body and not from the body itself unless it's not equipped it seems

TemplaerDude said:
Didn't you actually have to SLEEP to level up in Morrowind? Like find-a-bed-sleep and not just camp-out-in-town-sleep?

i remember levelling up in the middle of nowhere in morrowind,... could be wrong but that's what iremember

hyp

just gave my local fry's a call.... they said the 360 version will be in tomorrow (3/21/06) for $47.99. can't wait!

Speevy

Banned
DopeyFish said:
i remember levelling up in the middle of nowhere in morrowind,... could be wrong but that's what iremember

It's been a few years, but I remember having to find a bed too. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Speevy said:
It's been a few years, but I remember having to find a bed too. Maybe I'm wrong though.

No no no, you could level up in the middle of nowhere providing you were outside of a towns borders and not about to be eaten. You couldn't just sleep in town and level up though, that's just resting. Fine line between "resting" and "sleeping" apparently.

LAMBO

You could sleep anywhere in morrowind, if you found a bed all was well. If you sleep out in the open you could be awoken by a monster standing over you ready to strike, in fact i remember if you did sleep out in the open you would almost always be awoken by a monster.

Can't wait to give this game a try, if i didn't have suck a game backlog i'd have it already.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
LAMBO said:
You could sleep anywhere in morrowind, if you found a bed all was well. If you sleep out in the open you could be awoken by a monster standing over you ready to strike, in fact i remember if you did sleep out in the open you would almost always be awoken by a monster.

No, you couldn't sleep in town in Morrowind unless you found a bed. If you tried you could only force time to pass, you couldn't actually "sleep".

Harmonica

HOW%20I%20FEEL.PNG

atomsk

Party Pooper
the only other game i have is DOA4, which runs fine.

after i got out of the tutorial area, i havent had any loading problems.

i'll put a few more hours into it tomorrow, and if no more problems pop up, i'll cough it up to the tutorial section being wierd.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
My biggest worry about the 360 version was the framerate and I've been watching it for 2 hours now and hardly seen it hiccup. I've not seen too many blobs in the background either ;)

GreekWolf

Robobandit said:
well, after watching IGN's HD videos.. I no longer care about blurry distance textures.. bring it on :D :D (tomorrow... /am cry)
Are IGN's high def videos from the 360? The textures in that opening dungeon look insane!

GreekWolf said:
Are IGN's high def videos from the 360? The textures in that opening dungeon look insane!

yeah.. they're in 360 resolution, so I'm fairly sure they are 360 movies..

Tom was adding a X1900 to his pc, I think... probably in preparation for playing Oblivion.. and I think one of those could take the game higher than 1280x720. Still, it looks amazing

Xdrive05

Leonsito said:
Any impressions on performance with a 6600GT card?

I'm going to my GFs tomorrow night and will install it on hers. If we don't hear anything by then, I'll post impressions as soon as I find out. :)

For my computer I decided to go with full settings, x360 resolution, 1280 x 720. Runs mostly above 35 - 40fps so I'm happy. And widescreen aspect ratio is great for this game.

LAMBO

Nerevar said:
No, you couldn't sleep in town in Morrowind unless you found a bed. If you tried you could only force time to pass, you couldn't actually "sleep".

heh maybe i'm think of gothic 2.

guy i got the game i ahve a question
it wouldnt be wise to enter the first oblivion gate without meeting the heir to the throne first right? cause i keep getting killed when i reach the tower.

I personally don't care about the graphics. I'll be able to run it moderatly well on a 256MB 6800GS, 512MB of ram and 3.0 GHZ P4. I just want to play the damn thing!! I can't wait!!

Fifty

God damn this game is daunting. I'm just at the start naturally, but the scope of this game astounds me. Yeah I played Morrowind, but I'm still shocked at how much time I'm about spend playing this game :D

I decided to go all-out as a thief. should be fun (bloodshot eyes here I come)

DopeyFish

Kabuki Waq said:
guy i got the game i ahve a question
it wouldnt be wise to enter the first oblivion gate without meeting the heir to the throne first right? cause i keep getting killed when i reach the tower.

i think the person in the tower is the heir to the throne

i say just level up a little bit before continuing

Tortfeasor

DopeyFish said:
right now im starting to think
going into a plane of oblivion as a level 1 knight was a really stupid idea :(

I cleared it out as a lvl 2 crusader... It was really hard though.

DopeyFish said:
i think the person in the tower is the heir to the throne

i say just level up a little bit before continuing

the guard at the gate said he was in teh church.....ewrr what are the best ways to level up in this game?

Fifty said:
I decided to go all-out as a thief. should be fun (bloodshot eyes here I come)
I seriously don't think it is possible to go through the game as a thief, at least that was the case with me in Morrowind. I got stuck in one spot really far in the game surrounded by tough enemies, accidently saved and then ended up having to recreate a character. Up until that point I was struggling to get through the game because I was such a weakling.

"I seriously don't think it is possible to go through the game as a theif"

I played morrowind with a thief and managed just fine. In fact, being a thief and Morrowind could make you stupidly powerful in a short amount of time if you abuse stealing.

Teknopathetic said:
"I seriously don't think it is possible to go through the game as a theif"

I played morrowind with a thief and managed just fine. In fact, being a thief and Morrowind could make you stupidly powerful in a short amount of time if you abuse stealing.
You could steal alot of good stuff, but as a thief you are too weak stat wise to equip the best weapons and you can't wear heavy armor. I had to rely on alot of magic.

DopeyFish

here's a question to anyone who knows

where is the fighters guild? unless they just killed it and made it into the arena i have no clue where it is :(

"You could steal alot of good stuff, but as a thief you are too weak stat wise to equip the best weapons and you can't wear heavy armor. I had to rely on alot of magic."

You could sell some of the stolen stuff to level up your character. You're not weak stat-wise and you don't need to wear heavy armor, that's what the high agility, lock-picking, stealth, etc. is for. If you wanted to use other stuff, progress those skills, you just won't level from them.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Argh, why am I reading this thread? It's making the wait until tomorrow so much worse. :(

Pimpbaa

Benadryl Hitman said:
You could steal alot of good stuff, but as a thief you are too weak stat wise to equip the best weapons and you can't wear heavy armor. I had to rely on alot of magic.

Weapons and heavy armor didn't matter. You can become god like as a thief in the game and kill any enemy with ease. It was probably easiest being a thief for me, because like Teknopathetic said, you could abuse stealing (and sell the crap and then go to a trainer).

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
I've been playing for 3 hours now and I'm still within eyesight of the sewers you first come out of. :) Just messing around and doing some optional quest nearby. I can already tell I'm going to stay up all night playing this game, it just draws you in and won't let go. So far its everything that I hoped it would be. Congrats Steve and Vark.

You could sell some of the stolen stuff to level up your character. You're not weak stat-wise and you don't need to wear heavy armor, that's what the high agility, lock-picking, stealth, etc. is for. If you wanted to use other stuff, progress those skills, you just won't level from them.
Pimpbaa said:
Weapons and heavy armor didn't matter. You can become god like as a thief in the game and kill any enemy with ease. It was probably easiest being a thief for me, because like Teknopathetic said, you could abuse stealing (and sell the crap and then go to a trainer).
Shit then I just really sucked at that class. I got stuck in the basement of a tomb and was trapped by a group of lich? (skeletons in blackrobes who cast fireballs and varoius other spells) and accidently saved. I had no clue how to beat them and when I tried to escape I died instantly.

Speevy

Banned
rod said:
why the hell is there no ign or GS reviews of the game yet?

No one is anywhere near a point where they can review it. Read IGN's impressions. Kasavin's still playing it right now I think.

Top Bottom