• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Tortfeasor

Gameplay question --

I cleared out the first gate, but die almost instantly when trying to go into the castle gates with the soldiers. I can't seem to damage the dinosaur looking guys with my weapons. Any advice? I am a warrior, so I don't have any real spells, so if they are magic only, I am SOL I guess....

Brannon

So does it come with the March update (FEAR!), and is it region free?

The answers should be no and yes, hopefully. Cuz hope springs eternal and all that.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i have no idea where to hide for the stupid rats quest for the fighters guild

im trying to catch the dumb lizard in the act and shes not going back to the lions den :(

and its really annoying me

my god finally -_-

siege

Banned
Watched Kasavin's marathon session for 30 minutes or so. It seems like they should have released a book, instead of a video game. There is more reading/listening to dialogue than anything else.

The game looks sweet, though.

How do you pick up items and just look at them? It seems if you pick anything up, it goes straight to your inventory. I remember in the videos they showed being able to pick up any item like a ribcage or skull etc, and you could throw it or whatever... I can't seem to do this. Playing 360 version btw and it is absolutely amazing so far, I played around outside the sewers for a while.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
why the hell is there no ign or GS reviews of the game yet?

It's an Elder Scrolls game, which means it's INSANELY expansive, and if Daggerfall is any indicator it'll take at least a month to play through the main quest. But it's not as if a lot of sites would concern themselves with that sort of thing anyway.

no website was given advance copies of the review code.

O rly? I thought the game got leaked not too long ago. I guess if it did it could've come from somewhere else though

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Kabuki Waq said:
man the game is really enjoyable but the pop in and really really frequent loading times are getting annoying.

raptoroem.jpg

Hopefully helps the PC version a bit ;b

Harmonica

PanopticBlue said:
How do you pick up items and just look at them? It seems if you pick anything up, it goes straight to your inventory. I remember in the videos they showed being able to pick up any item like a ribcage or skull etc, and you could throw it or whatever... I can't seem to do this. Playing 360 version btw and it is absolutely amazing so far, I played around outside the sewers for a while.

Seriously, that time the guy picks up the melon or whatever and throws it over the trip wire blew my mind. Please tell me you can still pick stuff like that up!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just played for 5 hours straight. Doing the arcane archer thing as a thief chick.

First off, left bumper lets you manipulate stuff in the environment. I only ever used it to move bones and garbage away from an item I desperately had trouble targeting(like some loose gold underneath).

Second: loadtimes?? On 360 each area is sprawling and the actual loadscreen wipes away in mere seconds. Extremely fluid as is the framerate surprisingly. 360 buyers have little cause for alarm.

Third: This game is fantastic. Fixes in nearly one fell swoop, the flaws and irritants of Morrowind. Combat bears heft and weight while balancing twitch action(blocking/casting/striking) with underlying stats amazingly well. Blows feel rough, and connecting strikes are most often justifiably expressed via a pretty accurate detection model.

The stealth system is ribbed from thief, though I swear the shadow detection is a bit flaky unless I'm not meant to be invisible at these early levels in pure darkness. Nailing goblins and undercity vagrants in the back from across a canal and having that 4X DAMAGE modifier flash on screen is total CLASS!

Wonderful so far.

KillJade

Banned
guess you havent been outside cause it's not extremely fluid. stays solid most of time but when that "loading area" text pops up you notice the pause. great game so far though.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So does anyone have any pics or videos of the game on the lowest detail settings? My only options here are upgrade my video card so I can play it on the lowest settings, or spend my non-existant money on a 360 or a full computer upgrade.

Fifty

I just got into the Thieves guild

I've taken to sleeping on the rooftops of the waterside shacks, out of paranoia that someone would come and take my stolen loot while I'm sleeping. They probably don't even acknowledge your presence when you're resting, but better safe than sorry. If anyone sees a tiger-looking dude crashing near the chimneys that's me.

Borys

Banned
*add me to ignore list if you don't like seing them*
OR
*some helpful mod could deIMGize my post if too many people will bitch*

You wanted pics? I give you pics. PC version only of course.

02b.png

Oblivion_2006-03-20_17-18-45-70.JPG

Oblivion_2006-03-20_17-19-08-64.JPG

Oblivion_2006-03-20_17-23-43-00.JPG

Oblivion_2006-03-20_17-06-14-21.JPG

Oblivion_2006-03-20_17-00-40-82.JPG

Oblivion_2006-03-20_16-54-17-32.JPG

Oblivion_2006-03-20_16-53-32-59.JPG

Oblivion_2006-03-20_22-00-13-90.JPG

Oblivion_2006-03-20_23-37-13-92.JPG

13b.png

12b.png

05a.png

Oblivion_2006-03-20_17-23-43-00.JPG

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
This game is ugly.

I'm personally not into the art (I don't like fantasy crap 90% of the time), but on a technical level its quite beautiful. Gameplay looks great though (going off gamespots vid) and in the end that's all that matters.

Borys

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
This game is ugly.

Nope, it's stunning from the vids & pics I saw.

The only thing that is indeed ass-ugly is the LOD scheme as seen below. I can't wait till modders remove the automatic downgrading of distant textures, even for the price of framerate going to hell. (I will upgrade then, *shrugs*).

Notice the Nintendo 64-level textures and sprite trees on the other side of the river:

Oblivion_2006-03-20_21-37-43-46.JPG

Yuck!

But overall this is the best looking RPG out there, PERIOD. The movie with the wolf's body havoking down the slope was just A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

Orodreth

WHOAguitarninja said:
And that's the last straw. I'm officially buying this game.

Anybody know if it should be possible to somehow set up some form of "wolf bowling" where I can set objects up and then drop the wolf down the hill and try to knock em around? Sounds like it could be fun...

:lol

I think is possible to catch an carry the dead bodies, isn´t ?

i think someone talked about getting inside a house unnnoticed and letting a dead body to wait and see the reaction of the house owner.

Btw, the ign HD videos are gorgeous

Brandon F said:
Second: loadtimes?? On 360 each area is sprawling and the actual loadscreen wipes away in mere seconds. Extremely fluid as is the framerate surprisingly. 360 buyers have little cause for alarm.

Wonderful so far.

Kabuki Waq said:
man the game is really enjoyable but the pop in and really really frequent loading times are getting annoying.

So... who's telling the truth here?

And was the kobun heat guy right after all?:

Borys said:
The only thing that is indeed ass-ugly is the LOD scheme as seen below. I can't wait till modders remove the automatic downgrading of distant textures, even for the price of framerate going to hell. (I will upgrade then, *shrugs*).

Notice the Nintendo 64-level textures and sprite trees on the other side of the river:

Fallout-NL said:
So... who's telling the truth here?

And was the kobun heat guy right after all?:

They're both right (going off the gamespot vid), the loadtimes are frequent but they're very spiffy, usually a 2-3secs unless you're teleporting. So its basically lots of little load times.

Harmonica

Any word on the Making Of disc on the Collector's Edition? Length? Tons of spoilers?

I figure it's been mentioned already but I'm very tired and didn't see anything about looking at the last few pages.

Burger

Harmonica said:
Any word on the Making Of disc on the Collector's Edition? Length? Tons of spoilers?

I figure it's been mentioned already but I'm very tired and didn't see anything about looking at the last few pages.

There are reportedly (from Steve) that there are no major spoilers on the making of, so feel free to watch it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm hearing that there's no EAX support in oblivion (though there is 5.1 support)? Is this accurate? ;(

Please could someone who has the game on the 360 confirm one way or another if there is a Southpaw control option (switching the sticks for look and move). I would really appreciate someone spending a couple of minutes to look for this, as I can't find this from any source and my best mate doesn't want to spend £50 on a game he can't play, especially after GRAW. As I'm in the UK and we don't get the game till Friday (I'm sooooo jealous of you guys) I figured I may be able to find out before the game hits over here if one of you kind folk would take a look for me.

Thanks in advance

Vaandaviii said:
I don't know what is worse. Having N64 distant textures or having environments to suddenly appear :lol
I'm glad I moved from PC to consoles, I used to pull my hair from frustation when thinking which way should I go, more details or more performance. :lol There always was a game which forced me to make that decision. :\ Its much easier when a game makes that decision for your self. :p

Fess

A Swedish mag reviewed it and it got 10/10 by two reviewers. One of them even went along and claimed that it was the worlds best RPG right now. And what's most impressive about that score is that the reviewers on that website is very critical most of the time, especially when it comes to 360-games and it was the 360 version of Oblivion they had focused on.

"
Graphics: 9
Sound: 10
Playability: 10
Lastability: 10
Total: 10/10

Pros: Complete freedom, fantastic atmosphere, superb fighting system, wonderful dialogue, and amazing graphics

Cons: I won't have time to play World of Warcraft anymore

"

eso76

Someone who claims he's playing the game right now told me you can sit on benches, is this true or is he bs'ing ?
also, he says graphics are kind of disappointing if you think of the first screenshots released

Dr_Cogent

Banned
eso76 said:
Someone who claims he's playing the game right now told me you can sit on benches, is this true or is he bs'ing ?
also, he says graphics are kind of disappointing if you think of the first screenshots released

Hmmm, dunno about the benches, but on the 360 the game looks fabulous IMO.

Orodreth

GAME UK seems to be packing the game already for the ones who preordered.

If they ship my CE today i expect to get it on time for a weekend-TON

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Benadryl Hitman said:
What a waste, SnakeX could have used that dead body for his collection in his house. Or he could have made a hat or something out of it.

Psst, it's SnakeXs.

Trying to sleep yesterday was worse than any Christmas Even I can recall. Took me a good 2 hours to go to bed, and it was the lightest sleep I've ever slept, and I woke up no more than 5 hours later (I'm normally a bear who hibernates for double digits and could sleep through WWIII).

But the wait's almost over, folks. Just about 3.5 hours left, if all goes well... And if all doesn't go well, somebody dies.

I saw Kasavin sit in a chair or two during the feed... not sure why you couldn't sit on a bench.. when I find one in the game I'll try to confirm

Jo-El

SnakeXs said:

Psst, it's SnakeXs.

Trying to sleep yesterday was worse than any Christmas Even I can recall. Took me a good 2 hours to go to bed, and it was the lightest sleep I've ever slept, and I woke up no more than 5 hours later (I'm normally a bear who hibernates for double digits and could sleep through WWIII).

But the wait's almost over, folks. Just about 3.5 hours left, if all goes well... And if all doesn't go well, somebody dies.
:lol :lol Same goes for me. I think I only slept about 2 hours last night.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Borys said:
This is really wacky:

oblivionnolod1.JPG

vs

oblivionlod1.JPG

I can't wait to try this @ home when the game ships in Europe :|

Wonder why the trees disappeared. If I'm gonna turn off green blob LoD I don't want to *lose* detail.

Borys

Banned
EviLore said:
Wonder why the trees disappeared. If I'm gonna turn off green blob LoD I don't want to *lose* detail.

This is how I see it (*before owning the game*):

- the first shot is the official max drawing settings (same as on 360) with INI disabled LOD (cannot do that on 360) - textures are way nicer & trees aren't sprites anymore.

- the second shot is the *same* + longer than official max drawing distance and disabled fog. You can see more trees and more land in the distance. Unluckily it seems you cannot change the LOD on those "unofficial" objects (textures, trees, rocks etc.)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Borys said:
This is how I see it (*before owning the game*):

- the first shot is the official max drawing settings (same as on 360) with INI disabled LOD (cannot do that on 360) - textures are way nicer & trees aren't sprites anymore.

- the second shot is the *same* + longer than official max drawing distance and disabled fog. You can see more trees and more land in the distance. Unluckily it seems you cannot change the LOD on those "unofficial" objects (textures, trees, rocks etc.)

Borys: The Fox News of GAF :lol

Top Bottom