• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Solo

Xdrive05 said:
Athlon XP @ 2500 MHz
1gig dual channel ram
6800GT @ 420x1150

I only average about 20fps outdoors with the settings cranked all the way up, and it sometimes drops to like 13 or so. Especially with many characters onscreen at once. I hope those new Nvidia drivers (out tomorrow, I think) work some real magic or else I'm going to have to scale back a bit to be comfortable. It's still very playable, btw.

:)

Holy shit. And it looks/performs that good at max settings? Sweet. So, I should probably maintain around a 30FPS with my Athlon 64 3000+, 2 GB RAM, and 256MB X800, right? Does that seem about right? I will have the game tomorrow but Im a curious bastard!

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I'm curious to know if the engine in Oblivion is multithreaded and takes full advantage of the multi-core multi-cpu architecture of the 360.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Borys said:

Bethesda recently announced that the PC version of ES4 cannot have both HDR and AA, but it looked quite nice with just HDR. Load times are faster on the PC, but the visuals are about equal. The 360 version of Oblivion does both HDR and AA and runs natively at 1280x720. If you have a 360 and a video card that's less powerful than a 6800GT or Radeon X850, I would recommend getting the 360 version. As with Morrowind, Oblivion is a demanding game.

That pretty much removes any doubt for me. I have an X800XT with 2GB RAM and a 3.4GHz P4. I would rather have this game in 5.1 on my 30" HDTV. So close to getting the PC version, but X360 version for me it is.

Dr_Cogent said:
I'm curious to know if the engine in Oblivion is multithreaded and takes full advantage of the multi-core multi-cpu architecture of the 360.

yep, it does.

It uses thread scheduling to distribute the game's cpu load across all 3 of the 360's cores

The side product of those optimizations for the 360 means that PC owners with dual core cpus get a performance bonus also :)

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Robobandit said:
yep, it does.

It uses thread scheduling to distribute the game's cpu load across all 3 of the 360's cores

The side product of those optimizations for the 360 means that PC owners with dual core cpus get a performance bonus also :)

Is there a link where the devs discuss this?

DenogginizerOS said:
That pretty much removes any doubt for me. I have an X800XT with 2GB RAM and a 3.4GHz P4. I would rather have this game in 5.1 on my 30" HDTV. So close to getting the PC version, but X360 version for me it is.

Not only that, it's more comfy too :)

Borys said:
This is how I see it (*before owning the game*):

- the first shot is the official max drawing settings (same as on 360) with INI disabled LOD (cannot do that on 360) - textures are way nicer & trees aren't sprites anymore.

- the second shot is the *same* + longer than official max drawing distance and disabled fog. You can see more trees and more land in the distance. Unluckily it seems you cannot change the LOD on those "unofficial" objects (textures, trees, rocks etc.)

Nope, IMO

- The distant mario64 version is the original version.

- The other one has LOD unabled... by removing anything farther than the LOD distance limit. What a clever trick! :\

Dr_Cogent

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
On a scale of 1-10, what was the Wow Factor once you started to play it?

I would say about a 9. The intro movie was really cool IMO. I won't spoil it for you. I am not sure if the video was real time or not though. Regardless, it set up the game well for me.

I think you will be happy with what you see. Lemme know what you think when you've played it a bit.

The loading is a little annoying (and I stress little), but it's not a deal breaker. I'm really happy with the sound in the game too. It's far better than it was in Morrowind IMO.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Oh God, so close... 2 hours, 2 hours, 2 hours.. *breathes*

Quick couple of questions, namely for 360ers.

How are the controls? Menu hopping feel good? Any issues?

And, this one's more general, but back to what I asked about corpse piling. Do ragdolls pile on top of each other well?

Oh yes, the room o' corpses shall be... Muahahaha.

DenogginizerOS

Dr_Cogent said:
I would say about a 9. The intro movie was really cool IMO. I won't spoil it for you. I am not sure if the video was real time or not though. Regardless, it set up the game well for me.

I think you will be happy with what you see. Lemme know what you think when you've played it a bit.

The loading is a little annoying (and I stress little), but it's not a deal breaker. I'm really happy with the sound in the game too. It's far better than it was in Morrowind IMO.

I thought the same thing for Half-Life 2. Needless to say, it didn't bother me for long. It is isn't as bad as KOTOR, right?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
SnakeXs said:
Oh God, so close... 2 hours, 2 hours, 2 hours.. *breathes*

Quick couple of questions, namely for 360ers.

How are the controls? Menu hopping feel good? Any issues?

And, this one's more general, but back to what I asked about corpse piling. Do ragdolls pile on top of each other well?

Oh yes, the room o' corpses shall be... Muahahaha.

Controls feel very natural and smooth. I really like the way the interface is laid out in the menus and while playing. Very good work done on Bethesda's part.

The lock picking is nice, but I have been spoiled by Splinter Cell. It's just not as fun as SC is picking locks, but it's still not bad.

I haven't ever bothered trying to pile corpses.

I am however a kleptomaniac and end up over encumbered all the time.

DenogginizerOS said:
I thought the same thing for Half-Life 2. Needless to say, it didn't bother me for long. It is isn't as bad as KOTOR, right?

Oh hell no. KOTOR had longer load times IMO. HL2 was worse IMO as well when it came to incremental area loads.

I am quite impressed at how quickly the game will load major areas. I am assuming the HD is helping quite a bit in this aspect.

gigapower

People who are playing it on the PC, does it have the loading hitches and loading text like the 360 version does? I can honestly see that getting annoying very quickly.

Borys

Banned
Dudes, check out what is modable in the PC version.

Insane!

[HAVOK]
bDisablePlayerCollision=0
fJumpAnimDelay=0.75
bTreeTops=0
iSimType=1
bPreventHavokAddAll=0
bPreventHavokAddClutter=0
fMaxTime=0.0167
bHavokDebug=0
fRF=1000.0000
fOD=0.9000
fSE=0.3000
fSD=0.9800
iResetCounter=5
fMoveLimitMass=95.0000
iUpdateType=0
bHavokPick=0

Havok settings :) MOON PHYSICS here I come!

[SpeedTree]
iTreeClonesAllowed=1
fCanopyShadowGrassMult=1.0000
iCanopyShadowScale=512
fTreeForceMaxBudAngle=-1.0000
fTreeForceMinBudAngle=-1.0000
fTreeForceLeafDimming=-1.0000
fTreeForceBranchDimming=-1.0000
fTreeForceCS=-1.0000
fTreeForceLLA=-1.0000
fTreeLODExponent=1.0000
bEnableTrees=1
bForceFullLOD=0

Hot damn even SpeedTree settings! More randomization?

[LOD]
fLodDistance=500.0000
bUseFaceGenLOD=0
iLODTextureTiling=2
iLODTextureSizePow2=8
fLODNormalTextureBlend=0.5000
bDisplayLODLand=1
bDisplayLODBuildings=1
bDisplayLODTrees=1
bLODPopTrees=0
bLODPopActors=0
bLODPopItems=0
bLODPopObjects=0
fLODFadeOutMultActors=5.0000
fLODFadeOutMultItems=2.0000
fLODFadeOutMultObjects=5.0000
fLODMultLandscape=1.0000
fLODMultTrees=1.2000
fLODMultActors=1.0000
fLODMultItems=1.0000
fLODMultObjects=1.0000
iFadeNodeMinNearDistance=400
fLODFadeOutPercent=0.9000
fLODBoundRadiusMult=3.0000
fTalkingDistance=2000.0000

fTreeLODMax=2.0000
fTreeLODMin=0.0200
fTreeLODDefault=1.2000

LOD on everything :O God damn...

[Grass]
iMinGrassSize=80
fGrassEndDistance=3000.0000
fGrassStartFadeDistance=2000.0000
bGrassPointLighting=0
bDrawShaderGrass=1
iGrassDensityEvalSize=2
iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=2
fWaveOffsetRange=1.7500

NEEDS MORE OLIMARIO

[Landscape]
bCurrentCellOnly=0
bPreventSafetyCheck=0
fLandTextureTilingMult=2.0000

Texture tiles! So we can change the ugly checkboard pattern in the distance!

[BlurShader]
fSunlightDimmer=1.0000
fSIEmmisiveMult=1.0000
fSISpecularMult=1.0000
fSkyBrightness=0.5000
fSunBrightness=0.0000
fAlphaAddExterior=0.2000
fAlphaAddInterior=0.5000
iBlurTexSize=256
fBlurRadius=0.0300
iNumBlurpasses=1
iBlendType=2

Blur settings.

[GethitShader]
fBlurAmmount=0.5000
fBlockedTexOffset=0.0010
fHitTexOffset=0.0050

You can even change the "GOT HIT!" effect!

[DistantLOD]
bUseLODLandData=0
fFadeDistance=12288.0000

LOD :D

[OPENMP]
iThreads=3
iOpenMPLevel=10

3 Threads as in 3 360 cores?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
I had some framerate issues with the 360 version when I emerged into the open landscape. Big issues. It turns out that it was writing to the HDD. After a few seconds everything cleared up and the only technical problems that I have noticed (about 4 hours of play) is the aforementioned LOD texturing and occasional pop up of objects as you approach.

Oh, and my character looks like a sissy in third person. Jumping is not recommended in order to maintain the perception that you are a toughguy.

Overall, it's a beautiful game. Physics are excellent. Texturing up close to mid range is great. Landscape objects are beautiful. The sky, changing from dawn to midday to dusk and back again, is sweet, especially in the play of the shadows on objects. I spent a good deal of time looking at the HDR taking care of business through a large dragon statue. Very nice.

Gameplay is fun to. I'm an ES virgin and I thought the freeform would be a little daunting, but the interface is manageable, the menus are fluid, and the combat and navigation feels very natural. The loads to interiors and new areas aren't bothersome, just a few seconds in most cases, and once inside, I haven't yet been let down by the ambience of each new place I enter.

Oh, I stole a horse in broad daylight and decided to resist arrests. I was chased by a armored guard, an orc, and a psycotic bulldyke weilding a hatchet. Got my ass fucking kicked. Arrows just didn't seem to cut it.

I guess the best thing I can say for the game is that I'm actually thinking about not eating at lunch today so I can play it longer. No kidding.

DenogginizerOS

urk said:
I had some framerate issues with the 360 version when I emerged into the open landscape. Big issues. It turns out that it was writing to the HDD. After a few seconds everything cleared up and the only technical problems that I have noticed (about 4 hours of play) is the aforementioned LOD texturing and occasional pop up of objects as you approach.

Oh, and my character looks like a sissy in third person. Jumping is not recommended in order to maintain the perception that you are a toughguy.

Overall, it's a beautiful game. Physics are excellent. Texturing up close to mid range is great. Landscape objects are beautiful. The sky, changing from dawn to midday to dusk and back again, is sweet, especially in the play of the shadows on objects. I spent a good deal of time looking at the HDR taking care of business through a large dragon statue. Very nice.

Gameplay is fun to. I'm an ES virgin and I thought the freeform would be a little daunting, but the interface is manageable, the menus are fluid, and the combat and navigation feels very natural. The loads to interiors and new areas aren't bothersome, just a few seconds in most cases, and once inside, I haven't yet been let down by the ambience of each new place I enter.

Oh, I stole a horse in broad daylight and decided to resist arrests. I was chased by a armored guard, an orc, and a psycotic bulldyke weilding a hatchet. Got my ass fucking kicked. Arrows just didn't seem to cut it.

I guess the best thing I can say for the game is that I'm actually thinking about not eating at lunch today so I can play it longer. No kidding.

It is quotes like this that I think they should put on boxes. :lol

Dr_Cogent

Banned
:lol

Thank God I didn't buy it on the PC. I would be spending all fucking day dicking around with settings. I am glad I can't, because I am a tweaking fiend and probably would do that more than play the game for the first few days.

Borys

Banned
More pics!

Amazing :O
16c.png

Ugly :(
08c.png

Still ugly :(
af_off.png

Amazing again!
24c.png

rastex

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
:lol

Thank God I didn't buy it on the PC. I would be spending all fucking day dicking around with settings. I am glad I can't, because I am a tweaking fiend and probably would do that more than play the game for the first few days.

Exactly. To get a great snapshot of the PC vs console differences, just look at what the conversation is like for the people playing each version. For PC the conversation is all about performance, tweaking, etc. For console it's all about playing the damn game.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Borys said:
And that's like 5% of that INI file, it's really insane. So many flags & switches.

Dammit, you got like 40 hours of extra content with the PC version!

Borys

Banned
rastex said:
Exactly. To get a great snapshot of the PC vs console differences, just look at what the conversation is like for the people playing each version. For PC the conversation is all about performance, tweaking, etc. For console it's all about playing the damn game.

And in the end both camps will play the same damn game, I don't see your problem.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
This is a good example of why I'm not a pc gamer. Too much crap to deal with, just give me a game I can plug in and play with my joypad.

Solo

Hell, when I install today, I fully expect Ill spend a solid couple of hours just tweaking, before I actually even touch the game :lol Its just the way I always play my PC games. I fully explore each and every menu, and tweak every setting before jumping in.

I fully expect Tweak Guides to have a nice Oblivion one up soon.

rastex said:

Solo

kaizoku said:
This is a good example of why I'm not a pc gamer. Too much crap to deal with, just give me a game I can plug in and play with my joypad.

I can only speak for myself, but some of us PC gamers rather enjoy the tweaking aspect.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
rastex said:
For PC the conversation is all about performance, tweaking, etc. For console it's all about posting on internet forums, desperately trying to play down the fact that those fortunate enough to afford higher end rigs are going to play the same game with enhanced aspects, fully customizable controls, and engaging and longlasting mods.

Seriously, can we drop the PC vs. Console bullshit for a few days while we all enjoy and discuss the game? Oops, wrong forum. Can someone move this to Bizzaro GAF for me?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Kindly don't troll the PC platform or the PC version of oblivion, kthx. You don't *need* to do any tweaking at all. You install the game and it autodetects your hardware. It's not exactly a negative that folks want to get the most out of the graphics engine when their PCs allow for it.

Solo

It is ridiculous, but since 90% of GAF are either trolls or fanboys, its hard to get a thread where *console of choice* bots arent present.

BTW, when I get my copy today, I will post some screens from my setup (3000+, 2GB RAM, x800), since others seem to be doing it too.

DenogginizerOS

Some may enjoy this game on a PC. Some may enjoy it on X360. Some may enjoy it while drunk. Others may enjoy it while dressed like a female elf with their junk tucked. The bottom line: many will enjoy this game. And that is what we should be discussing.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
DenogginizerOS said:
Some may enjoy this game on a PC. Some may enjoy it on X360. Some may enjoy it while drunk. Others may enjoy it while dressed like a female elf with their junk tucked. The bottom line: many will enjoy this game. And that is what we should be discussing.

Are.. are you watching me? Where are you? WHERE ARE YOU HIDING?!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
And in the end both camps will play the same damn game, I don't see your problem
The problem is fairly large, actually. If it does not bother you, that's wonderful, but I've come to realize that playing games on the PC these days generally ruins my experience with the content. Let's look at something like Half-Life 2...

The content created for HL2 was AMAZING and the game itself is probably one of the best FPS ever made. HOWEVER, my initial experience was not...optimal. As a result of various performance issues, I spent more of my time fiddling with settings, reading forums, replaying segments, and doing anything else I could to squeeze more performance out of the game. I couldn't bring myself to turn down any settings, as I felt as if I was missing out...yet the issues were driving me crazy. By the time I finished the game, I realized that I had spent so much time messing with performance and settings that my experience had been compromised.

The thing to remember is that the most important experience is ones FIRST TIME experience. If you've seen a section 20 times, it won't be as special as the first time...so it is rather upsetting when your first time through a segment is damaged by external issues. It simply drags the game down.

Even with PC games that DO perform well out of the box, I have an issue with wanting to tweak things to get optimal performance. Is there something I can do about a bit of slowdown? Can I really live with v-sync off? These questions run through my head the entire time and my enjoyment is decreased. I absolutely HATE that.

When I played MGS3, Halo 2, and Prime 2 back around the same time as HL2 (all were released within a week of each other), I realized that I had not ONCE thought about "technical issues" while playing. They were all about the experience, which is why I look back on them so fondly. Halo 2 is a fantastic game, but the EXPERIENCE was even better simply because I didn't worry about any technical bullshit.

I know I jumped right into Oblivion yesterday on 360 and, outside of a little disappointment with some slowdown here and there, I focused almost entirely upon the experience. I never thought about "tweaking the game", but rather, was focused on the game itself.

I do actually enjoy fiddling with PC stuff from time to time, but only with games that aren't important to me and/or playing with ports of games I've already played. I no longer want the PC to be the primary delivery method for new games as, even with a really high end PC, things aren't always going to go smoothly. There was a time when I totally didn't mind those issues at all and just getting the game to run at a playable framerate (even sub-20 fps) was thrilling. Now, however, my standards have changed and the "experience" a game can provide has become extremely important to me.

I'm not attempting to "bash" the PC, because quite frankly, I would never be without one...but I hope that you can see where others are coming from and understand why we feel the way we do.

Here are my quick impressions that I posted in another forum:

"Well, I want to play more before I post some details impressions, but overall I am MORE than satisfied with this gaming purchase. Let me start by saying that remember when we saw the video footage for GRAW, I thought to myself, nice target CG video, but I'm skeptical the final product will even look or play like that. Then last week, we got THAT game and a taste of what the XBox360 can really do.

Same thing, with Oblivion. I saw the demo footage posted a while back and thought, yeah that's nice and all for a demo but I'm skeptical that the final game will look as good, run as well, and play like the demo. Well, for the second time this year, I'm eating crow. So far based on my early gameplay, we got THAT game. The game plays and looks incredibly well. You HDTV owners are in for a treat. I haven't seen much yet since I just made it out of the first dungeon area last night, but when you get outside to the open areas, you will be impressed. You can tell Bethesda spent 3 years working on this game. The difference between this game and Morrowing is like night and day. Like that feeling you got when you saw Half-Life to Half-Life 2 demo that Valve did a few years back. If your an Elder Scrolls fan like me and have played Arena, Daggerfall, and Morrowind....this game will definately impress you from the start.

All the things that inhibited many from enjoying or even playing Morrowind, have had a serious overhall in Oblivion. A lot of the systems have been tweaked if not overhauled. You can tell right from the start that the skills increase/level up system is a lot better. Not necessarily instant gratification, but you get a better feeling of enhancing yor character just by paying the game. I won't labor on this now but if you played Morrowind then this you'll see what I mean.

The combat is a hell of a lot better in terms of animation and mechanics. It feels more natural as opposed to it's awkward 'clunkiness' in Morrowind. And even casting spells is retty staight forward. One of the BEST things they've added for the console version os the ability to 'hotkey' items, weapons, and spells to the * directions of the D-pad. Which really makes the game a snap to play. Say I'm sneaking on a troll in a dungeon, and shoot him with an arrow. He gets hit and is pissed and jumps to clear the distance in a timely manner. I can hit left on my D-pad and try o fry him with a fire spell. I miss, and hit up to pull out my short sword and shield and we get in up close melee combat. I'm thinking I've met my mact so I'm a Dark Elf and hit down to summon my Ancestral Spirit to assist with the combat. All this can happen in game with having to go into the menus and re-equip...it's all done on the fly. Makes the game more natural to play and fun as hell.

Anyway that's just a taste of the goodness in this game. I spent about an 1.5 hours getting out of the first dungeon, then another 1 exploring then landscape before I head back to town to complete the first main quest. Once I got into the capitol city I knew that this would take some time seeing as it is HUGE! Looks like you could easily lose hours playing this game.

Loading times are pretty good, I didn't time them, but I don't remember any being unbearable. Definately 5X better than the load times of Morrowind on the XBox. Trust me, you won't even notice them. I remember reading that if you have the HDD that the game takes advantage of that, but I'm not sure if that's the case or not. I'll have to ask someone with a Core system how are the load times in comparison. Framerate has help up pretty good, I haven't sen anything crazy yet, but I haven't played that much yet. I'm sure the nitpickers will find all sorts of things to cry about, but overall the game engine appears to be pretty solid.

This may not be the type of game for everyone, butfans of the series MUST check out Oblivion. Morrowind was one of the MOST talked about and most played games on the XBox console (it's message board over at Gamefaqs.com has been in the top ten since the game has been released). I haven't played much but I think this game will hold up the Elderscrolls tradition of longevity. This is something you can always pop in and play...and the game supports DLC on XBL. So we'll see where things go.

Anyway, those are my quick impressions....you know what I'll be doing tonight instead of hitting the gym."

Whatever platform you decide PC/XBox360, this game is worth experiencing. I can see that this will be one of my most played games in my collection. This will definately get me through the slow months until the next major release. NOw excuse me while I disappear for the next few weeks and totally draw myself into Oblivion. I'll be back after 120 hours of game play. :lol

Solo

That I was I get all my performance tweaking out of the way before progressing past the first are of any game. If you're doing it throughout the game, then theres no wonder why the experience is being downgraded.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
All I said was I'm glad I don't have to pay attention to all this tweaking stuff cos it gives me a headache, in no way is that a troll, and if it offends people, you're way too sensitive regarding your personal choice.

its just a conversation people.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Brandon F said:
I do not want to go to work today. I just want to stay home and play my videogames.

Amen :( Friends actually came over last night to watch the World Baseball Cup. I could have killed them. All I want to do is get home and play this. Way too early for GOTY talk, but as far as game I most want to get back to award? This destroys everything that's come out so far.

-I loved Elder Scrolls when it looked like ass. It's that much better with good physics, cool lighting, awesome scenery, etc.
-Fighting is so much better. Spellcasting is awesome. The early level summon a skeleton spell is one of the coolest things in the world.
-The night sky, the dawn....I love you Bethesda.
-Why did you make me kill dogs? :(
-Xbox integration is fantastic. The one complaint I have is that I effectively have 4 hotkeys instead of 8 because my d-pad is not so tight. Everything else....Just really matching my expectations and more so far.

SonnyBoy

QFT, as a console gamer I understand that both are important but personally I dont give a damn about tweaking my dusty ass PC for 40 hours nor does it excite me.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Musashi Wins! said:
The one complaint I have is that I effectively have 4 hotkeys instead of 8 because my d-pad is not so tight.

If you hold the pad down, it will bring up the hot key wheel so you can rotate to the proper selection. Just keep the criticals off the diagonal and it works great.

Top Bottom