• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Vark

Since I saw it mentioned:

You can change the camera in 3rd person.

Click in the Right thumbstick, while you have it clicked it (you have to hold it), rotate the stick to move the camera, use the triggers to zoom in and out.

The view will return to normal 3rd person behind the player but the zoom you used will stay when you let up on the thumbstick.

Sanjuro

My employee discount was still in effect at the store. Left today with...

Metroid Prime Hunters - $31.49

Tetris DS - $26.99

Oblivion: Collectors Edition - $62.99

Going to be a great day for gaming.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Pocket Guide to the Empire. Like the coin, we wanted another "relic" from Tamriel in the box. It's 112 pages and looks and feels authentic. We did a pocket guide before with the Redguard manual, but this is an all-new edition. It has a lot of history and information about how things got to where they are, and why. Rulers, wars, great leaders, famous people, memorable events, and so on. It's simply dripping with the lore and flavor that make The Elder Scrolls what it is.
For those who are new to the Elder Scrolls series, this might be a good reason to pick up the CE.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
CE is same price as normal edition here in UK, easy choice for me.

$10 isn't much really, maybe a meal and a bus ride or so. I'd willingly spend that much to have something which may be a bit "limited" and special.

Any higher though and the bonus material comes into question - do you want it? Depends how much you can get each one for really. the 112 pg guide to the Elder Scrolls series/world/game or whatever it is sounds good for a complete newcomer to the series.

SonnyBoy

DenogginizerOS said:
For those who are new to the Elder Scrolls series, this might be a good reason to pick up the CE.

Yea, my Gamestop guy told me that they got a few extra copies in of the CE version. I may have to scoop it up.

DenogginizerOS

Looking at the Achievements list for this game, it describes reaching certain levels in the various guilds. Does this pretty much mean you will have to play this game multiple times in order to complete all the guild quests?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
for those who got the CE, would you say it was really worth it over the regular release? I don't give a crap about the coin, but the DVD and book definitely seem interesting. The thing is, with the CompUSA price match deal, that's a difference of $25 between the standard and collector's edition. I don't know if I can justify that extra money, even if it's on a game that is a sequal to the game that was unquestionably my favorite game from last gen.

I don't suppose anyone has had a chance to see if the game supports Southpaw yet(360)? I really, really would completely appreciate someone taking 5 minutes to confirm this one way or another. Thanks again in advance.

DenogginizerOS

Nerevar said:
for those who got the CE, would you say it was really worth it over the regular release? I don't give a crap about the coin, but the DVD and book definitely seem interesting. The thing is, with the CompUSA price match deal, that's a difference of $25 between the standard and collector's edition. I don't know if I can justify that extra money, even if it's on a game that is a sequal to the game that was unquestionably my favorite game from last gen.

I never played the previous ES games, so that 117 page book that comes with the CE is worth it to me. And seeing that I do not have a CompUSA nearby, my Best Buy will not price match it. I would essentially have to drive 45 minutes to another BB that is next to a CompUSA to save the money. Not worth the time.

Sh0k

Just got mine from Circuit City, they price matched a printout I had from the CompUSA add, $43. + tax :D

This is in Miami, FL ... the Circuit City at Doral.

I won't be able to play it until later, stuck at work :(

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Slartibartfast said:
I don't suppose anyone has had a chance to see if the game supports Southpaw yet(360)? I really, really would completely appreciate someone taking 5 minutes to confirm this one way or another. Thanks again in advance.

you can change what buttons do sensitivity and inverting Y

but you can't change the sticks so i'd say no. no southpaw

DenogginizerOS said:
Looking at the Achievements list for this game, it describes reaching certain levels in the various guilds. Does this pretty much mean you will have to play this game multiple times in order to complete all the guild quests?

Not necessarily. I believe it is possible to join any guild with any character provided you do the right things. It's just that it will be a lot easier with specailized characters designed for that guild. (Thief for Thieves Guild for instance.)

Orodreth

eso76 said:
Simple quick question for those lucky bastards who are playing it.
Are those lush forests seen in the first screenshots still in the game ? haven't seen them in a while and started to worry they might have gone.

edit: also, do they still look like those screens ?

Check yesterdays video preview from 1up.

It shows character customization, some towns, dungeons and some pretty good forests. I think there is not as much bloom as in previous caps but it may be because of the location/weather.

kaizoku

Nerevar said:

$25 difference? I'd say no. Unless you are interested in collecting it and the items that come with it, don't bother. its a 45 minute video you can live without, if you just play games and maybe trade em back or sometimes keep em, its not worth the difference. It has value to people who want it for a collection, newcomer's to the series, or people who find the price difference pretty small. imo.

kaizoku

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Not necessarily. I believe it is possible to join any guild with any character provided you do the right things. It's just that it will be a lot easier with specailized characters designed for that guild. (Thief for Thieves Guild for instance.)

What if you join one guild and get the achievement or whatever, then want to leave and join another guild? Is that what you have to do?

Draft

kaizoku said:
What if you join one guild and get the achievement or whatever, then want to leave and join another guild? Is that what you have to do?
if it's anything like morrowind, there's nothing expressly stopping you from being the leader of all 4 guilds. Except, of course, the missions each guild give often involve hosing your rep with the others. IIRC, the fighters guild hated the mages guild, the thieves hated the warriors, and the dark brotherhood hated everyone.

I know in Morrowind, my dark elf assasin was GM of the thieves guild and the dark brotherhood, and he was relatively high up the mage and fighter heirarchies.

raYne

Pre-ordered the regular edition, walked out of the store today with the CE for no extra charge. My EB (or specifically the girl behind the counter) loves me. :rock!

Dopeyfish, Thanks for the response regarding Southpaw..much appreciated. Now I must figure out a way to break this news to my mate, what with the double impact of this and GRAW not supporting Southpaw, he's liable to drop his 360 from a great height (these games were the main 2 reasons for him getting a 360 in the first place). And to think he thought that because you can set 'Southpaw' in the dashboard he would never have these problems again. I guess that would have just been too easy.

Oh well, I can still play it and I could always just make him watch from the sidelines :D

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Musashi Wins! said:
Anyone? Just curious.

Not sure, but I wouldn't doubt it if the game is taking into consideration your playing style and making the recommendation based upon the skillsets used (athletics, melee combat, stealth, etc.).

raYne

Slartibartfast said:
Dopeyfish, Thanks for the response regarding Southpaw..much appreciated. Now I must figure out a way to break this news to my mate, what with the double impact of this and GRAW not supporting Southpaw, he's liable to drop his 360 from a great height (these games were the main 2 reasons for him getting a 360 in the first place). And to think he thought that because you can set 'Southpaw' in the dashboard he would never have these problems again. I guess that would have just been too easy.

Oh well, I can still play it and I could always just make him watch from the sidelines :D
FYI the lack of southpaw is supposed to be resolved via patch in the future.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Slartibartfast said:

If your friend took the time, he could easily train his brain to play it without having the Southpaw option. It is doable, it just would take some time. Eventually - it would be second nature.

Pimpbaa

In that thread in futuremark regarding turning off the LOD on the land:

"Just one last question. Does this cripple performance in any way?
If you look at the fps overlay it actually goes up a couple fps"

What the hell bethesda?!

SonnyBoy

raYne said:
Pre-ordered the regular edition, walked out of the store today with the CE for no extra charge. My EB (or specifically the girl behind the counter) loves me. :rock!

Bastard!!! :lol Im still trying to figure out what Im going to do.

Can someone link me to the CompUSA coupon?

How does the X360 version look on a 5:4 1280x1024 monitor? With black bars like almost every game or without them like (Pure sex) DOA4 and COD2?

I'm buying it anyway, but it would be awesome if I could play it at fullscreen.

looks like PC CE may really be limited. I preordered PC CE from my EB, but they messed up and only got a 360 CE, no PC CE's. That was despite me checking yesterday to confirm it was PC and not 360 preorder. luckily another EB had a CE PC edition but only 1 copy left. The guy in front of me ordered 'yeah I want the Oblivion collectors edition' (my heart dropped) and then 'for the 360'. yes. so I got it. well worth the extra $10 for a fan of the series as I am.

diable

Sh0k said:
Just got mine from Circuit City, they price matched a printout I had from the CompUSA add, $43. + tax :D

This is in Miami, FL ... the Circuit City at Doral.

I won't be able to play it until later, stuck at work :(

Thats how I got mine. None of the CompUSA's I've called in the bay area have any.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
kaizoku said:
$25 difference? I'd say no. Unless you are interested in collecting it and the items that come with it, don't bother. its a 45 minute video you can live without, if you just play games and maybe trade em back or sometimes keep em, its not worth the difference. It has value to people who want it for a collection, newcomer's to the series, or people who find the price difference pretty small. imo.

Personally, the 100+ pages book introducing History, Events and Major Protagonists of the world of The Elder Scrolls is a must-have for any fan of the series. I mean, one of the key differences, aside from the incredible size of the areas you can explore, from all other RPG's is the great backstory of the series, the amount of knowledge you can obtain about legends, astrology of the world, great leaders, fictional tales, history of cities, civilizations and the growth and fall of kingdoms across the land, etc... you really get to know the world the characters in the TES games live in and this helps the immersion factor and the atmosphere in these games a lot. It is really a quite unique trait of the series Bethesda has been cultivating all these years and they deserve our support.

OK I am planning my character while at work!

I am thinking of playing a character with combat capability but also sneaking around houses etc, so primaliy combat based but mixed with stealth and a little spell for support. I also like the idea of sneaking, and then using bow for the multipliers

Primary skills:
Blade
block
heavy armor (for strength as per blade, and better armor than eg light)
Sneak
security
marksman
illusion (for camo/invisible)

Is this a viable combo? would I be bette off just focusing on one or the other (ie just combat, or just stealth) and is heavy armor OK? also, would acrtobatics be better for the dodge bonus than the block?

eso76

Orodreth said:
Check yesterdays video preview from 1up.

It shows character customization, some towns, dungeons and some pretty good forests. I think there is not as much bloom as in previous caps but it may be because of the location/weather.

Damn, i didn't think of checking 1up too.
This video is gorgeous.

atomsk

Party Pooper
"Oblivion uses the Xbox 360 hard drive extensively to cache (copy and reuse) data. This is done to optimize all loading the game does. It has been found in rare cases on some Xbox 360s that the cached data can get overly fragmented. This exhibits itself by the game taking a long time to load anything from menus, dialogue, sounds, objects, levels, and more.
To solve this problem, reset your Xbox, and hold down the A button as the game is booting up. If any button is held while Oblivion is loading, it will clear its hard drive cache, and create a new one. Once you see the “Bethesda Softworks” logo video, the game is already loaded, and the cache should have been cleared.
Note, this does not effect your game in any way other than loading. You will not lose any saved data."

gotta do this when i get home. should fix the problems i was having!

Fallout-NL said:
So... who's telling the truth here?

And was the kobun heat guy right after all?:

i am telling the truth. The load times are not that long but they are there when you enter any new area:(

Kobun was completely wrong tho the game is fucking beautiful. The guy would be jizzing in his pants if this was a zelda game.

I went to the CompUSA on Chicago avenue in Chicago on lunch today, and they didn't have it in (I hate that Comp USA so much). But I did manage to snag a copy of the ad, so I'm going to hit up Circuit City or Best Buy and get a price match.

Xdrive05

Jugendstil said:
I went to the CompUSA on Chicago avenue in Chicago on lunch today, and they didn't have it in (I hate that Comp USA so much). But I did manage to snag a copy of the ad, so I'm going to hit up Circuit City or Best Buy and get a price match.

I called CompUSA yesterday about noontime and the guy whom I asked about Oblivion was a total and unadulterated dick. First he mumbled and when I asked him what he said he was like, "I SAID we don't have it in!"

Needless to say they didn't get my money.

I went to Comp USA at lunch, too and they didnt have it in either. Fucking hell. Then I went to Circuit City who didnt have it either. So, after work I will head to Best Buy or EB, if they dont have it I will be really pissed.

Xdrive05

truffleshuffle83 said:
totally OT but just so you guys know CompUSA has memorex dvd +_r's 30 packs for 6 bucks . no rebates instant price. i bought like 5 on sunday

Do they have any specials on Dual Layer dvd r's? Thanks.

:)

Pimpbaa

Pimpbaa said:
In that thread in futuremark regarding turning off the LOD on the land:

"Just one last question. Does this cripple performance in any way?
If you look at the fps overlay it actually goes up a couple fps"

What the hell bethesda?!

PC owners ain't concerned about this? It's like they crippled the PC version for no good reason (or maybe to not allow the PC version to look better than the 360 version).

"PC owners ain't concerned about this? It's like they crippled the PC version for no good reason (or maybe to not allow the PC version to look better than the 360 version)."

The X360 version has the same LoD in the distance thing too. At the least, you can (supposedly) turn off the LoD in the PC version.

Top Bottom