• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Btw for those asking if you can sit, you definitely can.

In fact, you can sit at the little table in your cell right when you start the game! The camera even goes into 3rd person as soon as you sit down :lol

Ben Sones

dark10x said:
Wandering around at night right now and the atmosphere is excellent. The sky is absolutely beautiful.

Can you pick out constellations in the sky like you could in Morrowind? Because that was pretty cool. :)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
urk said:
If you hold the pad down, it will bring up the hot key wheel so you can rotate to the proper selection. Just keep the criticals off the diagonal and it works great.

gracias, don't know why I didn't see that.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
PanopticBlue said:

In fact, you can sit at the little table in your cell right when you start the game! The camera even goes into 3rd person as soon as you sit down :lol

Sa-weet.

General question, while sitting, and just using third person camera, can you rotate and zoom in on your character at all? Maybe just in the menus?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
PanopticBlue said:

Are there outhouses with reading material?

Xdrive05

Ben Sones said:
Can you pick out constellations in the sky like you could in Morrowind? Because that was pretty cool. :)

Yes, and there are a ton of them to choose from. They determine an aspect of your character's stats.

My bad about the sitting, it seems it doesn't go into 3rd person, I must have clicked the right stick instead making it go into 3rd person, oops. You just can look around like normal when sitting, no zooming in on your character. Sorry.

SnakeXs

Dr_Cogent said:
:lol Yeah! You even get hemorrhoids if you sit for too long. It affects your stats as a result ;) :lol

Yep.

It's also a combo easter egg, since when afflicted your character runs with a Morrowind Retro run animation.

Vieo

So, is it in stores yet? Store around here(NYC) really open at 10am. It's 9:50 and I don't want to go too early only to be told UPS is bringing it in later in the afternoon. It should have been stocked overnight, damn it! I NEED this game!

Xdrive05

Does the 360 version ever go above 30fps or is that the cap? Because more than half the time for me the game is running in the 40's or 50's. And now that I set it to the same resolution as the 360, it almost always stays above 30, even outdors and in town.

I probably would have gotten the 360 version, had I had an HDtv. That was the deal breaker for me. That and the fact that me EB only had the PC version (CE) in stock, and only TWO, count them, TWO copies arrived at the store. :O

SnakeXs

Xdrive05 said:
Does the 360 version ever go above 30fps or is that the cap? Because more than half the time for me the game is running in the 40's or 50's. And now that I set it to the same resolution as the 360, it almost always stays above 30, even outdors and in town.

I probably would have gotten the 360 version, had I had an HDtv. That was the deal breaker for me. That and the fact that me EB only had the PC version (CE) in stock, and only TWO, count them, TWO copies arrived at the store. :O

Well, I'm pretty sure V-Sync is on, and I doubt it's hitting 60, so it's pretty safe it's trying to lock itself to 30.

Xdrive05

This was one of those games that I figured would be amazing but for some reason was still TOTALLY blown away when I actually played it. I was pretty hyped but it deliverred way more than I even expected. If Steve and Vark are still here I'd just like to congradulate them on this project. This is a standard-setting RPG if there ever was one.

Reading this thread at work today is going to be painful. :) Thanks for the impressions guys. Can't wait to pick this up after work. I'm going to rush home. Have dinner, and kiss my girlfriend goodbye.

IJoel

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Reading this thread at work today is going to be painful. :) Thanks for the impressions guys. Can't wait to pick this up after work. I'm going to rush home. Have dinner, and kiss my girlfriend goodbye.

It was worse last night, while watching a DVD, seeing the friends list getting populated by people playing Oblivion.

"WTF IT'S MONDAY!!"

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Still no Best Buys in Massachusetts with the game in-stock yet. However, out of boredom, I checked other states via the in-store locator and it looks like, on the east coast, it's widely available in Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and MAINE?! If BB fails me I'm going to be upset.

Reading the Wiki for the TES contruction utility it sounds like face modding is going to be more difficult then Morrowind. I'm going to have to put my Chuck Norris face on hold till I figure it out.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
IJoel said:
It was worse last night, while watching a DVD, seeing the friends list getting populated by people playing Oblivion.

"WTF IT'S MONDAY!!"

I set myself to appear offline so I couldn't be bugged by anyone :)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
SteveMeister said:
Holy crap -- the STRATEGY GUIDE is #23 on Amazon.com -- across all books!

so...do you guys have a big frickin' party tonight or what?!?

Dr_Cogent said:
I set myself to appear offline so I couldn't be bugged by anyone :)

The messages of jealous hate I got from people last night were pretty funny.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:

I'm betting they all go on vacation soon.

Any ETA on downloadable content for the 360 Steve?

Congratz on the game. I am impressed so far. I am definitely enjoying it far more than Morrowind.

Is another ES game in the works now that this one has shipped? Perhaps for this same generation of hardware?

so im new to the series with this iteration

what character classes are selectable from the start??

can you be a knight or somethig like that?? or is it like elves

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Musashi Wins! said:

Actually we had a big party last night :) We went on one of those dinner cruises on the Potomac River out of DC. Open bar FTW!

Dunno about when downloadable content is coming -- I'm not involved in any of that. I'm working on other things right now ;)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
truffleshuffle83 said:
so im new to the series with this iteration

what character classes are selectable from the start??

can you be a knight or somethig like that?? or is it like elves

There's 21 pre-made (which is awesome btw) or you can go completely custom.

You can be a Knight, an elf, or an elf knight. Seriously, the character builder is indescribably awesome.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
truffleshuffle83 said:
does each one have a different storyline?? is there one that is better than the other. im gonna try and wing it without the guide

No, but if ever a game allowed you to have a different story each time....this is nothing like the linear rpg experience you're probably used to. There is a central story, and a thousand stories to the side if you know what I mean.

You build a character based on how you want to play the game. There are certain power classes to meet certain ends or methods of play, but the guide is completely unnecessary.

Dr_Cogent said:
I don't think so on both questions.

so pretty much all the spells,weapons are independent of character choice??

i just have never really been into rpg's , but i want to give this a try because it looks so good. plus its action packed and its first person based, so we shall see

Dr_Cogent

Banned
truffleshuffle83 said:
so pretty much all the spells,weapons are independent of character choice??

Well, your race affects certain things, as well as your class after you choose it - but apparently you aren't limited to anything at all.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
truffleshuffle83 said:
does each one have a different storyline?? is there one that is better than the other. im gonna try and wing it without the guide

You're thinking about it the wrong way. The classes are just groups of tagged skills and attributes organized in a particular flavor. Within the game you're not limited by these choices, and making your own class is just a matter of deciding on those tagged skills and attributes yourself.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I have a question for other players...Before I chose my class, the Blade I was talking to said I seemed like a Monk. Was that a generic choice on his part, or were they basing that on something I did? Ultimately I chose a Battlemage as my first character. I have a perma save before leaving the sewers so I can change it in the future if need be.

Anyone? Just curious.

I hate that im stuck at work, I dont think I'll be productive today(obviously since im already on this forum). CompUSA better have a ton of copies today.

ghostmind

...just got the 360 CE version... my PC was beefy enough (X850XT), but I'd rather go 360 as the game seems close on both versions (plus, i'm not sure the X850 would be enough to drive this game well at my native 1680x1050)...

eso76

Simple quick question for those lucky bastards who are playing it.
Are those lush forests seen in the first screenshots still in the game ? haven't seen them in a while and started to worry they might have gone.

edit: also, do they still look like those screens ?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
vatstep said:
Still no Best Buys in Massachusetts with the game in-stock yet. However, out of boredom, I checked other states via the in-store locator and it looks like, on the east coast, it's widely available in Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and MAINE?! If BB fails me I'm going to be upset.

Just using the "store locator result", it looks like it's listed as in-stock at all Best Buy's in Rhode Island (where I work). I'm goign to call the EB I preordered with at lunch time and if they don't have it I'll just cancel and pick it up at Best Buy around here. What's the deal with the Boston area? Was the truck robbed or something?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Nerevar said:
Just using the "store locator result", it looks like it's listed as in-stock at all Best Buy's in Rhode Island (where I work). I'm goign to call the EB I preordered with at lunch time and if they don't have it I'll just cancel and pick it up at Best Buy around here. What's the deal with the Boston area? Was the truck robbed or something?
About 20 minutes after I posted that, all the area stores popped up as having it in. Just got back from the Landmark Center BB with my copy. $37 Oblivion FTW!

You know, i hate RPG's... but this game has got me excited.

Juyst the sheer amount of open-endedness (is that even a word?) has me geeked out. To be able to do what I want and then have actual consequneces and a living world...just wow.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
vatstep said:
About 20 minutes after I posted that, all the area stores popped up as having it in. Just got back from the Landmark Center BB with my copy. $37 Oblivion FTW!

$37? How did you manage that?

vatstep

Dr_Cogent said:
$37? How did you manage that?
Unbelievably, they honored the 10% off coupon on top of the pricematch, and I had a $5 Reward Zone certificate to burn (this is the reason why I buy all of my games at BB). The guy who helped me out seemed pretty laid back.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
SonnyBoy said:
1st things 1st, how did you save $15?

I had Best Buy price match the CompUSA price. I brought in the CompUSA ad from the Sunday newspaper.

vatstep said:
Unbelievably, they honored the 10% off coupon on top of the pricematch, and I had a $5 Reward Zone certificate to burn (this is the reason why I buy all of my games at BB). The guy who helped me out seemed pretty laid back.

Holy shit! I didn't even bother trying to use the 10% off coupon because it said it couldn't be used on sale items - and I figured that they would consider it a sale item since they were price matching.

I have a feeling you may have gotten lucky with the guy who checked you out. I doubt that they really should have accepted the 10% off coupon - but Kudos! It's too late for me to try to get even more money off :lol

SteveMeister said:
Holy crap -- the STRATEGY GUIDE is #23 on Amazon.com -- across all books!

And the actual game holds #1, 2, 7, and 18 spots. Congrats to you guys.

Unfortunately I won't be able to play the game until later this afternoon =(. It's killing me.

Top Bottom