• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Pimpbaa

Teknopathetic said:
"PC owners ain't concerned about this? It's like they crippled the PC version for no good reason (or maybe to not allow the PC version to look better than the 360 version)."

The X360 version has the same LoD in the distance thing too. At the least, you can (supposedly) turn off the LoD in the PC version.

Thats what I mean. There seems to be no reason for te LoD to be on in the PC version (if what was said in the futuremark forum was true.)

Comp USA sucks, especially the one I was just at. Everyone that works there is total trash, and the store is totally mismanaged and ghetto. Any store that makes Best Buy look amazing by comparison has some serious problems. I generally boycott that store, but the temptation for discounted Oblivion was too great. I'm glad they didn't have it. I'd feel better giving my money to pretty much any other retailer (even hateful Gamestop/EB).

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Just fucking great. I can't even get past the first fight scene when leaving the jail cell
My PC slows down to a crawl and it takes about 5 minutes to get into the ESC screen. On start up the game sets the recommended graphics settings for me, high, and I can't even run them. Everything runs smooth as butter until that one fight scene. I wanted to play so fucking bad I set everything to low and it still fucks up :lol

AMD 3500+
X800 XL
2Gb DDR400

Vieo

I don't know. I think this is gonna turn out to be another Zelda64-type release where there's a lot of pre-orders, but only a few extras. I went into GameStop early this morning when they opened and managed to snag the PC version(non-collector's). The clerk told me I was lucky because they only had a handful of extras. Same thing happened when I didn't preorder Zelda64.

Been playing my way through the game so far and it's pretty tight. So far all the little things I didn't like about Morrowind, like using the same world music for dungeons, have been cured. The game even loads faster than Morrowind and seems much more fluid. I'm gonna update my nVidia drivers and then head back to playing. :D

golem

looks like the gamestops in Southern California didnt get their PC Collector's Editions today... there were tons at BestBuy pasadena though (but only 2 360 CEs)

Vieo

MrToughPants said:
Just fucking great. I can't even get past the first fight scene when leaving the jail cell
My PC slows down to a crawl and it takes about 5 minutes to get into the ESC screen. On start up the game sets the recommended graphics settings for me, high, and I can't even run them. Everything runs smooth as butter until that one fight scene. I wanted to play so fucking bad I set everything to low and it still fucks up :lol

AMD 3500+
X800 XL
2Gb DDR400

That sucks. I've got my draw distance up to max, everything else at about mid-range, no AA, and it's running almost as smooth as silk. That fight you're talking about slowed down my PC a bit but it still played right through. The opening movie was all garbled though. I think it's my drivers.

Pentium4 2.4GHz
GeForce 6800GT (256MB)
1.5GB DDR333

I'm also running the game in that widescreen(1600x900 i think) resolution since I have a 2405fpw.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
truffleshuffle83 said:
totally OT but just so you guys know CompUSA has memorex dvd +_r's 30 packs for 6 bucks . no rebates instant price. i bought like 5 on sunday

It's also online too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Pimpbaa said:
Thats what I mean. There seems to be no reason for te LoD to be on in the PC version (if what was said in the futuremark forum was true.)
Well, if what has been said about the PC verison is true...I would think it would ALSO apply to the 360 version. Disabling the LOD would likely work fine on 360 as well.

Surely there must be SOME reasoning behind that odd choice.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Argh.

I preordered the 360 CE off the website 3 months ago with $10 overnight shipping. Around $86 total.

And guess what. It got "left" at a shipping facility in Louisville last night. So, it's not coming in until tommorow. It's shipping to my office, and I'm out for the rest of the week.

I ran over to EB and got a regular copy for the 360 (their last one). The only consolation is that EB has refunded my shipping cost. Now I've paid a grand total of $139 to play Oblivion.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Pimpbaa said:

So because some guy screwed with the settings and didn't see any problems arise within the first twenty minutes following you assume that the setting was there for "no reason" at all? Sounds kind of premature, don't you think.

What am I saying? CONSPIRACY! Bethesda hates the PC!

GhaleonEB

MrToughPants said:

AMD 3500+
X800 XL
2Gb DDR400
Stuff like this is why I'm going for the 360 version. Your story has me thinking my Celeron 2400 with <1 gig of RAM and integrated graphics card could have issues.

Also, I actually dreamed about this game last night. I remember very few of my dreams, but this one was vivid. I climbed up to the top of a giant hill and recall thinking, "Wow, I can see all 16 square miles from here." One month, and I'll have my 360 and this game....

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
This is the greatest game I've played this year.

Don't you guys like the lockpicking?

It's not bad.

I prefer the lockpicking in Splinter Cell:CT though. But I can see why it was done the way it was done. It's fun for the most part.

Fifty

I like it, however it does seem quite easy to do. There isn't that much risk (yet) as I can carry tons of lockpicks and if I break one just start fresh. Maybe in later missions when there's time constraints it'll seem harder.

winalot

Is there a race that's more newbie friendly than others? I'm really clueless when it comes to Elder Scrolls.
I haven't played one before and I'm generally not a big RPG player but Oblivion is part of my initiative to change that this year, waiting for it to turn up (I'm in the UK) is killing me.
I don't want to make a bad choice that sees me hit a wall 10 hours in or whatever because of my lack of RPG skillz :lol

railGUN

Banned
Naked Snake said:
I never played an Elder Scrolls game before, or any game of this type in fact... What should I know/do before playing Oblivion?

Know that you will be playing it for a very, very long time (assuming you like it)... Do kiss any loved ones goodbye, because you won't be seeing them for a very long time.

Seriously though, reading through some faqs and stuff of Morrowind should give you a feel for the scope, style and freedom the game offers. When I started Morrowind, I had no idea how big and complex the game was... once I read up on making custom items, finding perma-corpses to store huge amounts of items (not sure if perma-corpses still do what they do) etc. the game became extreemly engrosing, and well, I became obsessive... just 3 more hours till I can finally play the game I truly bought my 360 for (not that i'm not having fun with GRAW, FN3 etc.) but damn, i want me some Oblivion.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
imo they really killed trade

man there's nothing to buy and there's nothing to sell :/

and when there is something to buy it's $11,000 :(

Okay, I know the game world is huge and all (and it sure gives that impression from videos), but I'm trying to wrap my head around it, say how many times would I have to multiply Zelda OoT's world size in my head to get a rough idea of the world size of Oblivion? Strictly speaking of *area* here (like square feet for example), not what you can and can't do in the game.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
DopeyFish said:
imo they really killed trade

man there's nothing to buy and there's nothing to sell :/

and when there is something to buy it's $11,000 :(

Play through some guild quests. You'll get good money as rewards for some of them, and you'll also advance in level. With higher levels comes better loot.

DopeyFish

what do i need to cure vampirism :< :< :< :<

i'm currently working on the arena and it's really hard fighting both the disease and my opponent

alright i wasnt that hyped about the game seeing as how i hated morrowind but holy shit oblivion is awesome. The combat feels so much better.

Naked Snake: imagine all the ground you covered in sailing while playing wind waker now multiply that by 50 and imagine actually having stuff to do.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
DopeyFish said:

i'm currently working on the arena and it's really hard fighting both the disease and my opponent

Do you just have the disease (Porphyric Hemophelia) or are you a full-on vampire?

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Woohoo got it at lunch. Man, the pc version was on sale for under 40 but I still got the 360 version :|.

For what it's worth, it looked like the stores had a big shipment of 360s come in today as well.

DopeyFish

SteveMeister said:
Do you just have the disease (Porphyric Hemophelia) or are you a full-on vampire?

im not sure

i have a weakness to fire and i'm taking damage from the sun

i tried a cure disease potion and it didn't work

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Dsal said:
For what it's worth, it looked like the stores had a big shipment of 360s come in today as well.

Good timing. I'm sure Oblivion will help drive those systems off the shelves.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The lockpicking is one of my least favorite aspects of the game so far. I don't particularly like having picks become pure fodder for my reckless boobery at a twitch based minigame(which I've already grown to loathe in the first few hours). I'd rather have a more traditional scheme that makes each pick feel more practical in it's use.

That and the lack of a full screen map(or even minimap) function are my only real nitpicks so far.

Oh and I'll post a solution to vampirism after work if no one else does so.

Akai

DopeyFish said:
im not sure

Sounds like you are pure vampire to me! I'm not sure there's any way to cure vampirism once you've actually become one...

I always wanted to play Daggerfall when I was young, I remember reading the review in Games Master (UK mag) and thinking what an unbelievable game it sounded like, never got around to playing it though and I didn't know/hear anything about the series until Morrowind recently.

DopeyFish said:

sounds like youve got the sickness

the only prescription is of course
more cowbell

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Akai said:
Sounds like you are pure vampire to me! I'm not sure there's any way to cure vampirism once you've actually become one...

There is a way to get rid of it, there is a quest discussed in the back of the guide to do it. He can stave off the disease by feeding, which resets his abilities to which those first 24 hours he wont' be as susceptible to the sun or fire.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
DopeyFish said:
im not sure

Yep, you're a vampire.

First of all, remember that you can feed, and that will lessen the negative (and positive) effects of being a vampire. Just go up to someone who's sleeping and activate them, and you'll have the option to feed. The longer you go between feedings, the more vampiric you'll get -- and eventually folks will notice. But if you feed regularly you can pretty much play the game as normal.

Now as far as the cure goes, you have two choices. First, go to any chapel and find a healer. They'll have a Cure for Vampirism topic, talk to them about it. That'll get you started. The second choice is to join the Dark Brotherhood, and eventually you'll meet a vampire who is a member, and he can help you out as well.

So, to join the Dark Brotherhood later on, do I need to kill lots of innocents?

I'm really not sure WTF I'm supposed to do with regard to the guilds/brotherhood (which I'd like to be in eventually).

For example, if you kill an innocent the game tells you that "unseen force is watching" or something... I take it I want more of that?

Vieo

Pedigree Chum said:
Can someone outline how to effectively play as a thief in this game?

From past games, my guess would be:

1. Practice sneaking.
2. Practice picking locks.
3. Practice pickpocket.
4. Practice light armor (or unarmored if it's still in).
5. Practice athletics.
6. Practice jumping.
7. Practice blade.

I'm only a half-hour from getting off work and sneaking by my EB to pick up my game on the way home. I've ducked in and out of this thread all day, torn by reading really cool comments about the game, but not wanting to be tormented while I worked! Seems like I've been waiting for this game for far too long, but I'll be playing it soon.

Overall, most of the comments have been very positive. And any nitpicks I've heard are not ones to bother me, as I've played all the Elder Scrolls games, and know what I'm in for. I'll post some thoughts tomorrow after I've had time to make sweet love to the game! ;)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have a technical question - just how is the third-person camera in Oblivion? I realize the advantages to playing in first person. I just found the camera in Morrowind to feel like something of a cludge, with a character model not really animated or designed for moving around well.

I really like the older shots with a 3rd person camera that reminded me of the perspective in Resident Evil 4 and Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter.

This is kind of off topic, but does anyone know if ebgames still has the deal where you can trade in 2 Xbox360 games for a new 360 game? I am tempted to trade in Dead or Alive 4 and Call of Duty 2 for Oblivion. Also, if I only traded in Dead or Alive 4 would I get at least $30 in credit? Any help would be much appreciated.

yes they do, and they dont differentiate between the regular and CE on this. so trade two and get the CE. i dont know if DOA4 would get you 40, im sure it would on ebay though

Well, I've been playing for a while.. performance is a bit lower than I expected, but maybe nvidia's new drivers will help out.

Think I finally got things where I want them (I'm trying to keep the framerate at 30 or higher mostly, I could crank the res but it would be a bit too choppy for my liking)

my final settings, I think. In normal circumstances, it stays in the 40s or so, unless I look out over a big vista like the one in the pic, almost never below 30.. indoor, the framerate is several times higher.

Resolution: 1280x780

Settings:

All at or near Max (1 click away) except for the following -

Object and Item fade in are approximately half way (no need to look half way across a cell and see if a Goblin has barrels at his camp, imho)

Interior and Exterior (Int and Ext) shadows are a little less than half, with exterior being a little lower.

Grass shadows = on

Shadow filtering = high

Tree Canopy shadows = on

Water = high

v-sync disabled

Result? playable to high framerate on my rig, and it still looks pretty.

sweet.jpg

Now, on to the gameplay and overall package impressions... one word sums it up very nicely.. "WOW"

The combat is fluid, I absolutely love the way physics affect everything in the environment, the dungeon designs that I've seen so far are nothing short of incredible. Load times are a split second on my rig for outdoor cells, still quite short for internal ones.

Voice acting is amazing, some of the best I've heard.. I haven't even gotten very far.. I got out of the sewers and then decided I'd go hunting, so I've been killing deer and wolves outside of the Imperial City.

My character was pinned as an Agent, which I decided to go along with. Basing the class suggestion based on how you played the game thus far as an ingenious idea, seamlessly integrated into the game.

My only complaint really is somewhat lower than expected performance, but I can't really find a reason to complain about anything else :)

Excellent Job, Steve, Vark and the rest of the crew, I'm sure it only gets better from here :D

(I'm in love with the packaging of the Collector's Edition, also)

My rig:

Athlon 64 X2 4400+
2048mb pc3200 ddr
eVGA 7800 GTX 256mb @490/1300
HP F2105 21" lcd monitor

Top Bottom