• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Bah! Where the hell is the lady in Chorrol who you have to speak to in order to join the Fighter's Guild? I seem to remember entering her house for the first time and seeing her disappear as I was attempting to talk to her (I didn't know she was important at the time). Since then, I've been in her home at all hours of the day, and her goober son is the only one there and he wont tell me shit about her whereabouts.

I've searched every room in the city (outside of picking the lock to hers)!! Where is this bitch??

Ned Flanders said:
Bah! Where the hell is the lady in Chorrol who you have to speak to in order to join the Fighter's Guild? I seem to remember entering her house for the first time and seeing her disappear as I was attempting to talk to her (I didn't know she was important at the time). Since then, I've been in her home at all hours of the day, and her goober son is the only one there and he wont tell me shit about her whereabouts.

I've searched every room in the city (outside of picking the lock to hers)!! Where is this bitch??

she is at the actual fighters guild. In the city.

joaomgcd

I saw this over at IGN:

Applicable only to Xbox 360s with the HDD. Cold boot (power on) while holding the GREEN button to clear the HDD's cache. This should reduce the game's choppiness for a while.

Is the GREEN button the A button on the controller? And what other "hidden" boot functions are there?

Ned Flanders said:
Been there! A bunch of times in fact! All I see is an orc, a couple of random fighters and some guy upstairs. Is she in a side room or something?

she is in there just standing around in some room.
but you are better off going to anvil and joining up there if you can cause she wont even give you a contract..she will just let you join

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Animation: The animation on the creatures/monsters is excellent from what I've seen. Watching a zombie shambling around in a dungeon below me is actually kinda creepy. Other creatures move in a way that you would expect, including deer. It was fun to come across my first deer in the woods and watch it bound away from me.

I like the animations of the characters and creatures, but watching your own character run in third person just doens't look right. Especially if you are strafing to one side. It looks like the feet are moving, but you are simply gliding across the ground. They could have done a far better job on the main characters motions.

winalot

joaomgcd said:
Is the GREEN button the A button on the controller? And what other "hidden" boot functions are there?
Yeh, Green = A. I didn't even know of this boot feature before yesterday so if there's others I'm clueless.

As for my impressions (Xbox 360), HOLY MOLY. I'm not a big RPG player, in fact up to a year or so ago I didn't even try to like them but I'm glad this didn't slip by (as if).
I've literally just finished the tutorial section so I've seen nothing yet and I'm gobsmacked already, the first view of the landscape gave me goosebumps.

Not being a RPG guru I'm quite worried I've picked bad attributes etc. for my character. I chose a Nord, Thief birthsign then Bard something else :lol I'm finding myself getting beaten hard in combat but I'm hoping it's because I'm a n00b and not my poor choices.

Loving it already though and can't wait for some proper A.I. interaction.

Dr_Cogent said:
I like the animations of the characters and creatures, but watching your own character run in third person just doens't look right. Especially if you are strafing to one side. It looks like the feet are moving, but you are simply gliding across the ground. They could have done a far better job on the main characters motions.

Just like in Morrowind, the 3rd person view is almost useless. About the only thing I've found it helpful for (outside of looking at your character) is when you're on horseback.

Dr_Cogent said:

Agreed. It's painful to watch your own character in third person, but then again, I never play the game in third person. I've switched to it once or twice just to get a peek, but I'll most likely never do that again.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Agreed. It's painful to watch your own character in third person, but then again, I never play the game in third person. I've switched to it once or twice just to get a peek, but I'll most likely never do that again.

I switch to 3rd when I'm just roaming around and just jump and jump and jump away. I'm like a little floating fairy. Some funny shit.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Kabuki Waq said:
i wish this game had some sort of photo mode i wanna see how my character looks from the front and stuff.

Hold down the right stick to get photo mode. Move right stick to rotate camera. Left and right triggers zoom in/out.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I wish they would put a compass marker on your horse when you are riding around the world. I have gotten off of it so many times to battle and then lost track of where it was.

Had to wait til daytime to find it again :lol

RegularMK

Horses seem like more of a pain than their worth, unfortunately. So many times have I been attacked by some disgruntled wolf only to have my horse get stabbed in the ass by my own clumsy sword.

SonnyBoy

Help with the theifs guild

ok the broad beat me to the guys house. now i have a message saying i can steal the diary from here. the problem is, where the hell did she go?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Sp3eD said:
I wish they would put a compass marker on your horse when you are riding around the world. I have gotten off of it so many times to battle and then lost track of where it was.

Had to wait til daytime to find it again :lol

Protip -- whenever you fast travel, your horse comes with you. If you've lost your horse, fast travel to a nearby map marker and he'll show up.

Shibbs -- no, if you're playing on a 4x3 screen it converts automatically for 4x3 (on Xbox 360).

newsguy

Ok, thieves guild question, preferably for someone who's tried to get into it or knows about this:

I'm doing the initiation where I have to steal the guy's diary. The girl stole it before me but I pickpocketed it from her. Well, I was caught and sent to jail where they took it out of my inventory... WTF do I do now. the guy no longer has it and it's been 3 or 4 days in the game and I can't find it. The 2 thieves I'm competing against don't have it either. Is there a way to get stolen goods back from the jail?

Thanks in advance fellow thieves.

newsguy said:
Ok, thieves guild question, preferably for someone who's tried to get into it or knows about this:

I'm doing the initiation where I have to steal the guy's diary. The girl stole it before me but I pickpocketed it from her. Well, I was caught and sent to jail where they took it out of my inventory... WTF do I do now. the guy no longer has it and it's been 3 or 4 days in the game and I can't find it. The 2 thieves I'm competing against don't have it either. Is there a way to get stolen goods back from the jail?

Thanks in advance fellow thieves.

To get something back that was confiscated, you have to break into the evidence locker in the prison, I believe :)

pestul

I'd just like to comment about the 360 version on SDTV. It looks a heck of a lot better than I was expecting on this decent 27" 4:3 Toshiba. :O

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
tomorrow is the day you will see me logged in playing Oblivion and ignoring all GRAW invites!! naw I still have time for GRAW.... probably :p

newsguy

Robobandit said:
To get something back that was confiscated, you have to break into the evidence locker in the prison, I believe :)

Oh thanks! That sounds really simple

mega-rolleyes-702628.jpg

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Ahhhhh I suck at picking locks. I had like 45 lockpicks not too long ago and now I'm completely out.

Where is Jill Valentine when you need her??

golem

ok i just picked up the xbox version...
032306_obliv.jpg

and i must say it's really impressive.. runs great and the framerate is pretty steady outdoors even when fighting a few foes. i think the outdoor texture quality might be slightly lower, but otherwise its fairly indistinguishable. hmm to start over or to continue on my pc... argh

Truelize said:
Ahhhhh I suck at picking locks. I had like 45 lockpicks not too long ago and now I'm completely out.

Where is Jill Valentine when you need her??

This is why I opted for Alteration as a major skill. I got it up to 75 or so. Today, I got into the Academy and made a Unlock All spell (opens all locks, including Very Hard). So, now I just point and shoot. Plus, you can do it in the open and it doesn't count as a crime. :D

I also made a Charm +100 spell. So, I just hit someone with it and their disposition towards me goes to 100 automatically. :lol I'm beloved by all of Cyrodiil.

God damnit. I just sold all of my ectoplasma about a half hour ago and now I run across a woman in a quest that needs me to collect 5 of them. So I head off to the merchant I sold them to but he doesn't have them anymore. I really don't feel like raiding anymore tombs at the moment but the lady in Skingrad only has one ectoplasma to sell. Does anyone know anywhere I can buy 4 more?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
pestul said:
I'd just like to comment about the 360 version on SDTV. It looks a heck of a lot better than I was expecting on this decent 27" 4:3 Toshiba. :O

I'm playing it on a 27" Sony SDTV using component cables with 16:9 enhanced mode on and it looks amazing.

"This is why I opted for Alteration as a major skill. I got it up to 75 or so. Today, I got into the Academy and made a Unlock All spell (opens all locks, including Very Hard). So, now I just point and shoot. Plus, you can do it in the open and it doesn't count as a crime."

It's no fun if there's no thrill!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I've played the game almost eight hours and I only JUST leveled up for the first time. Some people on my friends list are level 10s. :lol I guess they're doing things a lot different than I am..

SteveMeister said:
Someone released a Khajiit Night Eye toggle mod already. Check out the Oblivion Mods forum at elderscrolls.com. Basically you cast the lesser power once to start it, and once to stop it. Night Eye stays active until you stop it with the lesser power.

Here's the link to the thread.

Great news...but sadly I depend on you, Steve, and the team to put this in an official patch, as I have the 360 version.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
SonnyBoy said:
Help with the theifs guild

ok the broad beat me to the guys house. now i have a message saying i can steal the diary from here. the problem is, where the hell did she go?
Her house is in the same little village that you met up with the Thieves Guild guy. You have to wait until after sunrise, when she goes to bed, to sneak in and take it from her. You might have to talk to the beggar over in that area before you do any of this, though; I feel like her name didn't pop up on the house until I talked to him.

OK

I have put it 30 hours in the last two days. My god I'm loving this game.

So far my favorite quests has been the Pale Pass quest to retreive the Akavarian Relic, the Anvil Mages Recomondation, and the Dreamworld.

So far I've only come accross one thing that really upset me, I had placed a whole bunch of my stuff in a Cabinet in the Bruma Mages guild, in a back room. Just a place to store my shit. Every once and a while I would come back and put more stuff there.

I went down and did a string of quests to the south, came back, and all my stuff was GONE. Replaced by some Corn, and Flour. I had an exceedingly rare item in that cabinent
the 5000$ Akavari Amulet you get for the Countess I stole it from her after I gave it to her...
and now its just all gone. Never to return. I search every person in the mages guild, and all the chest and cubbards. Its like the storage place just decided to reset its contents back to what it originally had.

I was pretty pissed off when it happended. By C'est la vie, guess I need to buy a fucking house or something.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
man i really suck at pickpocketing

i can't even pickpocket someone who is sleeping

sad that i need to pick pocket from people in a guild i'm in to complete the quest (well, probably not but it's the easy route) and if i get caught i get suspended :< which has been oh... every time i tried :p

i can pickpocket some guards and some store owners but it seems like the mages guild members have a really good sense against pickpocketers

flarkminator said:
OK

I have put it 30 hours in the last two days. My god I'm loving this game.

So far my favorite quests has been the Pale Pass quest to retreive the Akavarian Relic, the Anvil Mages Recomondation, and the Dreamworld.

So far I've only come accross one thing that really upset me, I had placed a whole bunch of my stuff in a Cabinet in the Bruma Mages guild, in a back room. Just a place to store my shit. Every once and a while I would come back and put more stuff there.

I went down and did a string of quests to the south, came back, and all my stuff was GONE. Replaced by some Corn, and Flour. I had an exceedingly rare item in that cabinent
the 5000$ Akavari Amulet you get for the Countess I stole it from her after I gave it to her...
and now its just all gone. Never to return. I search every person in the mages guild, and all the chest and cubbards. Its like the storage place just decided to reset its contents back to what it originally had.

I was pretty pissed off when it happended. By C'est la vie, guess I need to buy a fucking house or something.

In the manual it says to be cautious when using containers that aren't yours because the stuff will disappear.

I've got the 360 version, have played it for only 3 hours, but I just have to say wow. Playing this on a 50-inch HDTV is one hell of an experience. Just an amazing atmosphere and detail, I'm blown away. I haven't done much yet, but the sheer scope of everything seems amazing. Looking forward to digging deeper.

gblues

Banned
Here's an easy Oblivion.ini hack to skip all the intro movies:

1. Open Oblivion.ini (you'll find it in My Documents\My Games\Oblivion). You should probably make a backup before you make any other changes. :)
2. Locate the [General] section.
3. Locate the SMainMenuMovieIntro= and SIntroSequence= lines. Zap everything after the =. When you're done it should look like this:

SMainMenuMovieIntro=
SIntroSequence=

Now when you load the game it goes straight to the main menu.

Nathan

Victrix

*beard*
I just had a running fight with three Goblins (at 19th level!) that was so brutal, I could have sworn I was playing some sort of action game. Piles of summoned Zombies, casting a ton of lightning bolts, running away and healing, meleeing while out of magicka, and spell absorption to protect against nukes...

Oh, I mean that was FROM THE GOBLINS

shudder

Love it.

I'm in a bit of a bind here.
I got vampirism and I need five grand soul gems to give to this woman so that she'll cure me. I have four, but my vamprisism has gotten so bad that I can't go out during the day and no one will talk to me. That means that no one will sell me that last one I need. Does anyone know where I can find one, like a dungeon or someplace?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Great Rumbler said:
I'm in a bit of a bind here. I got vampirism and I need five grand soul gems to give to this woman so that she'll cure me. I have four, but my vamprisism has gotten so bad that I can't go out during the day and no one will talk to me. That means that no one will sell me that last one I need. Does anyone know where I can find one, like a dungeon or someplace?

you can steal from people in mages guilds and buy one from imperial city market place in one of the stores

also! feed on someone sleeping and you'll be able to talk to people for 3 more days

Belfast

Jo-El said:
EVERY QUEST is more cohesive than the ones from Morrowind.

Indeed. I liked Morrowind, but never really got "sucked in" due to issues like this. Oblivion, though, has totally got me by the tail! I can't get enough of it!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I've just had two complete system lockups in two consecutive sessions of this game - screen freezes, no gamepad input is recognized, so I have to power down the 360. Anyone else encounter this?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Oblivion arrived this morning and I have spend the entire day playing it. What a game! :D My only small gripe is the loading while on horseback but it's a small price to pay for a game of this kind of scope.

Top Bottom