• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Megafoo Chavez

I love EGM
My oblivion on 360 locked up once during loading (i was traveling back to the imperial city).

I am also loving Oblivion. It fixes everything that made Morrowind unplayable for me and now i can't put the controller down.

my WoW raiding suffers *tear*

kaching said:
I've just had two complete system lockups in two consecutive sessions of this game - screen freezes, no gamepad input is recognized, so I have to power down the 360. Anyone else encounter this?

Try emptying your cache by holding A on the controller when it's booting up.

GhaleonEB

Okay guys - need some help. Not on the game, aquiring the game.

I don't have a 360 yet, but I will very soon. This is slightly complicated by the fact that I close on my first house tomorrow. But massive expenses will not deter me! I've read this thread enough and I've decided that if I can go $150,000 into debt then I can buy a console and game. You guys make the game sound too good (and I was going to buy a 360 for this game anyways.)

I'm buying stuff in stages to soften the blow - the game accesories this month, system next. I want the LE edtion for the XBox 360. I've read that it's getting hard to come by. Can anyone point me to the best sales right now? I'm poking around but have not found it on sale yet. I'm buying it in the next day or two.

Thank you. Soon this game will be mine.
Later, I'll get to play it. :(

Megafoo Chavez

I love EGM
GhaleonEB said:
Okay guys - need some help. Not on the game, aquiring the game.

I don't have a 360 yet, but I will very soon. This is slightly complicated by the fact that I close on my first house tomorrow. But massive expenses will not deter me! I've read this thread enough and I've decided that if I can go $150,000 into debt then I can buy a console and game. You guys make the game sound too good (and I was going to buy a 360 for this game anyways.)

I'm buying stuff in stages to soften the blow - the game accesories this month, system next. I want the LE edtion for the XBox 360. I've read that it's getting hard to come by. Can anyone point me to the best sales right now? I'm poking around but have not found it on sale yet. I'm buying it in the next day or two.

Thank you. Soon this game will be mine.
Later, I'll get to play it. :(

Orly?

Speevy

Banned
KarishBHR said:
guys serious... medium settings on PC or should I get the 360 for my regular TV

I think you're better off with the Xbox 360 version. I have a standard definition TV and the graphics are quite nice. HDTV is not necessary to see the detail.

Okay, this is going to sound ridiculous [and really the whole situation is], but does anyone know a place that sells garlic? I've seriously looked all the place and haven't been able to come across one store that will sell me any. It's driving me crazy!!

Bebpo

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Try emptying your cache by holding A on the controller when it's booting up.

Doesn't fix it. The game just seems to randomly lock up at certain times. I boot the game everytime with the "hold down A and clear cache method" and it still freezes.

Only work around is to save ALL THE TIME.

Great Rumbler said:
Okay, this is going to sound ridiculous [and really the whole situation is], but does anyone know a place that sells garlic? I've seriously looked all the place and haven't been able to come across one store that will sell me any. It's driving me crazy!!

I just stole some garlic from the alchemy store in Bravil. She or he had it hanging over by the fireplace.

DHGamer

Great Rumbler said:

Go back to those white pillars you see when you first exit the prison sewer. There's a tent around the back with a clove hanging you can pick.

Zaphod

I've finally been able to pull myself from Cyrodiil to post these late impressions. OMFG Hot Damn WOW!! If you have ever played any kind of pen and paper RPG this is the virtual incarnation of it. So open ended, from selecting quests to how you can complete them. Out of this series I've only played morrowind for a few days, didn't like it because of the draw distance. It held back the epic feel for me when I could only see 40 yards in front of me. But this, is just massive, I can see for miles, and the only fog is when its about to rain.

The only drawback I've had is the same I've had for any pen and paper RPG. First time character creation can be daunting, since you are not sure what skills and attributes can be useful. The balance of the game has allowed me to feel that any character played smartly can do well, so I've not hat too much first character regret in this game.

I'm sure this thread has tons of similar impressions so I'll just give some feed back on my technical experience with the 360. I've played on a VGA monitor and through S-video. On the monitor it looks un-believable, it will display full screen if you choose 1280 x 1024. Its appears to be a hair smoother at 1280 x 768. Using 480i through S-video it appears the textures have been down graded, the grass looks jaggier than on the Monitor, but it is also very close to 30fps locked. It looks much smoother on the TV. The pop in of the grass and shrubs in all versions is very smooth so it is not jarring at all. Some pop in occurs with buildings or anything during rapid turn arounds occurs on rare occasions. My 360 has the hard drive, and the NOW LOADING text is brief and become rather rare as time has gone by in the game. Hoo Ray for caching. I have not played a game this much in years, I've put in 20 hours since Tuesday, and I could only play for two hours yesterday. This is one of the best western RPGs ever made, the design and depth is fantastic. If you have a good PC or a 360 and have ever in you life been into D&D, buy this game NOW!

Thank you for your time, now back to goblin hunting.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Theives guild.

Armond Christohpe will be able to take all that away once you are in the guild for the price of half your bounty. Half is better then full :D

ijm72

Son of Godzilla said:
Is there some way to get your bounty removed without talking to the gaurds and paying/getting tossed in jail?
I know that you can do it if you
join the thieves guild

Edit: Beaten to it

RegularMK

I need some Dark Brotherhood help:
I got the offer to join a long long time ago and can't remember where the agent said the Inn of Ill Omen is. All the quest information says is "go to the Inn of Ill Omen and kill Rufio". Where is this place?

Megafoo Chavez

I love EGM
Is there a good place to find lockpicks? I cringe at the thought of paying 5 gold a piece for them.

maybe i need to look into this "Open up, bitch" spell....

Megafoo Chavez said:
Is there a good place to find lockpicks? I cringe at the thought of paying 5 gold a piece for them.

maybe i need to look into this "Open up, bitch" spell....

Same here since as a fighter my lockpicks tend to break like toothpicks.

xabre

Banned
Christ I hate work, epecially when I'm stuck here doing the same repetitve shit all day and oblivion is at home taunting me from there yonder.

Played several hours of it yesterday on the 360; easily the most beautiful game I've ever seen.

I just remembered why I even logged on.

I'm on the Oblivion quest outside of Kvatch.

There's a guard that comes up to you when you first enter Oblivion. I had him join me but maybe about 1/4 of the way around Oblivion I had him wait because his health was getting low and I was doing fine on my own.

Later on I went back to him and noticed his health was restored so I had him join up with me again. I had him follow me to a tower where he basically jumped to his death (dumbass). Would I get any kind of reward or benifit if he were to survive the quest? I'm tempted to reload an earlier save where he was still alive but then again, I'm not entirely sure it would be worth it since he might be some NPC redshirt or something.

RegularMK

DHGamer said:
Make the quest your active quest, then press A for the map. It'll show you where it is. Nice feature eh? :)

/forehead slap

That's such a ridiculously useful feature that I neglect it. Its exactly what I used to wish Morrowind had. :)

(god this game is amazing)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i've figured out the trick to the lockpicking minigame:
keep lifting a tumbler until you see it fall very quickly -- the next time you lift the tumbler, press the button as soon as you hear it click into place.
maybe this depends on your security skill (mine is at around 35, though my agility is at around 60), but this method is almost completely foolproof. i can easily pick "very hard" locks.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
The Shadow said:
I just remembered why I even logged on.

I'm on the Oblivion quest outside of Kvatch.

There's a guard that comes up to you when you first enter Oblivion. I had him join me but maybe about 1/4 of the way around Oblivion I had him wait because his health was getting low and I was doing fine on my own.

Later on I went back to him and noticed his health was restored so I had him join up with me again. I had him follow me to a tower where he basically jumped to his death (dumbass). Would I get any kind of reward or benifit if he were to survive the quest? I'm tempted to reload an earlier save where he was still alive but then again, I'm not entirely sure it would be worth it since he might be some NPC redshirt or something.

I'm pretty sure there is no benefit in keeping him alive other than having two swords instead of one against enemies. I think he is just your general generic soldier guy. He died right outside the tower in my game and my reward was nicking his belongings and leaving him in his undies :D

belgurdo

Banned
How far will martial arts take me in the game? It's fun knocking people down, then power punching them to death while they're on the ground, but I imagine I can't do this as effectively on, say, vampires

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Holy shit. Just got off a 3 hour stint in the game. I haven't played a game that long without a break in a very long time. Yeah yeah, I'm getting old. :p

Thieves Guild FTW!

newsguy

Dr_Cogent said:
Holy shit. Just got off a 3 hour stint in the game. I haven't played a game that long without a break in a very long time. Yeah yeah, I'm getting old. :p

Thieves Guild FTW!

see, it's fun when you actually complete things.
once I lost the diary and I can't find it the thieves guild is a thorn in my side

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
drohne said:
i've figured out the trick to the lockpicking minigame:
keep lifting a tumbler until you see it fall very quickly -- the next time you lift the tumbler, press the button as soon as you hear it click into place.
maybe this depends on your security skill (mine is at around 35, though my agility is at around 60), but this method is almost completely foolproof. i can easily pick "very hard" locks.

I've actually found that
if you wait for the tumbler to go up slowly (slower then normal anyway) it will stick for a half second. Very easy to time that.
That is how I've been doing it for a couple hours now and have only broke 1 lockpick since.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Are there ways to permenatly increase any of your stats? Other then leveling up?

RegularMK

Suikoguy said:
Are there ways to permenatly increase any of your stats? Other then leveling up?

You can enchant weapons and armor (as well as rings, amulets) to fortify a stat or skill as long as you're wearing them.

SonnyBoy

Quick question before I go to bed. I got kicked out of the mages guild for stealing.... Im a theif, I couldn't help myself. Is there anyway for me to redeem myself and get back in?

knitoe

Depress. Saved up 5K to buy black horse (supposely fastest). The thing travels so fast that every few sec you get "loading" hiccup (X360 w/ HDD) which sux. The load times was fine when you are running, but on horse it's ridiculous. Now, don't need / want a horse anymore. :lol

How's the PC version?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
knitoe said:
Depress. Saved up 5K to buy black horse (supposely fastest). The thing travels so fast that every few sec you get "loading" hiccup (X360 w/ HDD) which sux. The load times was fine when you are running, but on horse it's ridiculous. Now, don't need / want a horse anymore. :lol

How's the PC version?

the horse comes in handy

TRUST ME

there's been a couple quests where you have to travel to some distant land in the middle of nowhere and there's no fast travel option

so in order to get there you should use a horse then you can fast travel between :)

Nutter

DopeyFish said:
the horse comes in handy

TRUST ME

there's been a couple quests where you have to travel to some distant land in the middle of nowhere and there's no fast travel option

so in order to get there you should use a horse then you can fast travel between :)

Not really :p.

I just Fast Travel the closest i can to the objective point and walk from there.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Nutter said:
Not really :p.

I just Fast Travel the closest i can to the objective point and walk from there.

um i just had to go somewhere that took me about 10-15 minutes on horse from the closest quicktravel point

scamp.jpg

The little bastard just wouldn't die. :(

Scamps in Oblivion are 'roided up. I don't remember them being so tough in Morrowind.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, I'm starting to get really annoyed with one aspect of Oblivion:

All the quests seem to scale to your level. So, find a quest too hard? Normally you go out and level up, then try the quest again and dominate it. That doesn't happen in Oblivion. All the quests change the creature types and HP of creatures to something around your level.

It's basically rubberband RPG.

Two examples:
(First Kvatch Story Quest):

When I first went into the oblivion gate, I found the creatures too hard after killing my way to the tower. I decided to go out and level up so it would be easier. I think I first tried the quest at level 2. I came back when I was level 7, and all the creatures had changed. Instead of it being populated with weak imps, it had those little dinosaur things and fire elementals. They really packed a punch.

(The Painter's Quest)
I found this one too hard. I had to use two bottles of Turpentine to kill the Trolls. That left one I had to fight with no turpentine. Tried it at level 5, came back at level 12. First thing I noticed is that under the description of what the turpentine does, the first time it said "Does +50 Damage To Painted Trolls". Now, the same bottle that the painter gives me says "Does +120 Damage To Painted Trolls". And the trolls are still as ridiculously hard as they were when I tried it at level 5. Also, I wonder if it's a coincidence that at level 5 the turpentine did +50 and at level 12 it did +120.

This seems like it defeats the purpose of the RPG elements entirely, if every quest is adjusted to your level. There's no cakewalks, and there are none of those going against all odds and winning, even though the quest was way higher level than you.

Top Bottom