• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Yeah, she's at Vindasel (Vin Diesel?) and apparently she's pretty freaking tough. I think I'll wait until I'm actually at a decent level before trying. :lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i just got my ass kicked

it took uhh 3 seconds? wow. stealth attack (6x damage) only took a slight fraction with a silver sword... my god.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Has anyone purchased the haunted mansion in Anvil? I went into the basement and found a sealed portal on the wall. Anything I should do in here? I might just sleep in the bed and see who tries to freakin' kill me. Should be fun for the whole family.

Still loving the game, although the leveling of enemies doesnt bother me, the fact that the drops on loot scales with your level, kind of takes away the "indiana jones, tomb raiding awesome item find urge" since I know every cave/dungeon/etc will have items strictly in my realm of usuage and not something that is like O_O holy shit.

But I can see how having a scaled enemy to my level guarding a uber item would be game breaking it just kind of takes the excitement out of dungeons.

Trin:
Yes, as you've probably found out you'll get attacked by ghosts. You can then track down the owner and make him help you. Make sure you have a way of dealing with multiple ghosts. Oh, and they can't open doors :)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm level 18, heh. 25k cash on hand, 200k+ in loot stored in my house (getting a collection of course!)

Still tons of stuff to do ;b

Wollan

Where can I buy the cheapest/haunted house?
A lady offered me a house for 2000 near the waterfront but Im not sure if it's the one.

Wollan:
You can get the haunted house for 5000 in Anvil, but it's quite a bargain once you've cleaned out the ghosts.

Three questions:

Where can I find a wayshrine of Dibella?

Where can I buy a spell to fortify a skill (so I can make a fortify acrobatics ring)?

And is it possible to get into the imperial tower and climb to the top? No end-game spoilers if that's what it takes, please.

I asked this in another thread but it got ignored, maybe I'll have better luck here:

Is there a way to reduce the frequency of loading while exploring in the PC version? Or reducing load times in general? Like increasing the setting for "heap size" to force the game to use more RAM than the default setting, I know some games allow you to do that by command line parameters or other ways.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ok, I just discovered that if you're infamy rank(Thieves guild/dark brotherhood quests) outscores your fame(main quest/fighters guild/mages guild/arena) then you will be denied use of the temple healing altars. Kinda neat, the "nine gods" are always watching or something...

I was really worried that I stumbled upon a huge glitch, but my insistance on doing the thieves guild quests first is forcing me to cure my own ailments.

Prine

Banned
Brandon, i done what you said. Im getting used to the world, the combat, guilds, trvaeling etc

The game is a masterpiece, it clicked early this morning :p

These types of games dont come often guys, cherish it. GOTY

Pellham

Banned
SiegfriedFM said:
Wollan:
You can get the haunted house for 5000 in Anvil, but it's quite a bargain once you've cleaned out the ghosts.

What?
You mean the shack in the waterfront isn't the cheapest house? How would clearing out the ghosts make it a bargain?

I actually bought the haunted mansion, but after taking a look inside, I decided to reload and get the shack. The mansion is way too rundown for my tastes. :(

Pellham:
After doing the quest to remove the curse on the mansion, it will automagically restore to its former glory and be quite a lovely little place. If I could only get the ectoplasm stains off the carpet...

raYne

Speaking of the Haunted Mansion. I bought it a few days ago and killed a few rounds of ghosts. Then I tracked down the guy who sold it to me, but I don't have a way to force him. His mood was already 100% so I don't even have the bribe option and no other options come up at all. He just flat out refuses to help. :/

Similar thing with the
gang of female thieves
. I went to meet them at the place outside of town, but ran a bit late. When I got there the front door was open but they weren't inside. So I searched around eventually finding the basement door that needed a key. After meeting them in the bar the next day the only option I was given (couldn't even stop the conversation) was to tell them I wanted the
ring
back. One thing led to another and they attacked me so I killed them in the bar. I searched them and found the basement key and thought "cool", but now the front door is never open... and it's not lockpick-able. WTF!

These two quests are bugging the hell outa me since they're the only ones I've taken that I haven't been able to complete. *cries*

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Protip: Tired of getting staggered when you get hit? Work on raising your AGILITY. Potions, scrolls, spells, or work on Agility-governed skills so you can get a high multiplier when you level up.

Protip: (I've said this before, but it bears repeating) Make new spells! As your magic skills progress, the cost of casting spells goes down, but their effectiveness does not go up. As a magic user, it's in your best interest to get into the Arcane University so that you can make more powerful versions of spells. When you make spells (or enchanted items), the magic effects available to you are the ones in spells you already know -- so be sure to explore the various mages guilds and cathedrals to find folks who will sell you a wide variety of spells so you can maximize your knowledge of magical effects.

Protip: Alchemy rocks! Find & use all four apparatus pieces - Mortar & Pestle, Alembic, Calcinator and Retort. There are 5 different levels of these -- Novice, Apprentice, Journeyman, Expert and Master, and you'll start finding higher level units as your Alchemy skill increases. The higher the quality of the Alchemical apparatus, the better the potions. I've found Expert level apparatus for sale
Gilded Carafe in the Imperial City Market District
on occasion, but Master level equipment can only be found as dungeon loot. As a Master in Alchemy with 3 Master apparatus and 1 Expert, I can make a Damage health poison that does 8 points of damage for 30 seconds and a potion that Restores Health 13 points per second for 43 seconds. Another thing to know about poisons is that they STACK. So if I hit someone with 3 poisoned arrows with that poison I listed above, depending on how much (if any) they resist the poison, I can be doing up to 24 points of damage PER SECOND for 30 seconds. For defense, Shield is good -- my Shield potions at this level and with my character's equipment is 49% for 148 seconds -- and with the enchanted items my character is wearing, one Shield potion gets me up to the maximum 85% armor rating. Really handy for melee combat.

jedimike

SteveMeister said:

Thx for the tips. I've been an avid plant collector, but my novice skills and shitty mortar and pestle prevent me from making anything cool...yet. I'll keep at it though. I can't wait until I gain some more knowledge. Right now creating potions is strictly trial and error to see which ingredients can be combined at my level.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
jedimike said:
Thx for the tips. I've been an avid plant collector, but my novice skills and shitty mortar and pestle prevent me from making anything cool...yet. I'll keep at it though. I can't wait until I gain some more knowledge. Right now creating potions is strictly trial and error to see which ingredients can be combined at my level.

You can also increase your Alchemy skill by EATING ingredients.

belgurdo

Banned
Heh heh...just killed some ship's captain in Anvil. Dude should have taken fighting lessons from Bruce Lee like me instead of Captain Hook :lol

I really wish you could pilot the ships of idiot captains and pirates that you kill, though

btw, it's very disturbing how some of these guys ragdoll when you kill them. They look so pitiful slumped over tables or doubled over chairs and barrels :(

OMG I just got caught by the pirates in the rest of the ship, so I bolted to outside, where a bunch of guards and villagers helped me kill them. GOTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AeroGod

The Dark Brotherhood missions are awesome. I flew through all of them last night and now I am in charge of my own group of assassins. I speak with the Night Mother once per week, she gives me a list of marks, I give the list to my assassins and they bring back the gold. Wonderful.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
SteveMeister said:
Protip: Tired of getting staggered when you get hit? Work on raising your AGILITY. Potions, scrolls, spells, or work on Agility-governed skills so you can get a high multiplier when you level up.

Protip: (I've said this before, but it bears repeating) Make new spells! As your magic skills progress, the cost of casting spells goes down, but their effectiveness does not go up. As a magic user, it's in your best interest to get into the Arcane University so that you can make more powerful versions of spells. When you make spells (or enchanted items), the magic effects available to you are the ones in spells you already know -- so be sure to explore the various mages guilds and cathedrals to find folks who will sell you a wide variety of spells so you can maximize your knowledge of magical effects.

Protip: Alchemy rocks! Find & use all four apparatus pieces - Mortar & Pestle, Alembic, Calcinator and Retort. There are 5 different levels of these -- Novice, Apprentice, Journeyman, Expert and Master, and you'll start finding higher level units as your Alchemy skill increases. The higher the quality of the Alchemical apparatus, the better the potions. I've found Expert level apparatus for sale
Gilded Carafe in the Imperial City Market District
on occasion, but Master level equipment can only be found as dungeon loot. As a Master in Alchemy with 3 Master apparatus and 1 Expert, I can make a Damage health poison that does 8 points of damage for 30 seconds and a potion that Restores Health 13 points per second for 43 seconds. Another thing to know about poisons is that they STACK. So if I hit someone with 3 poisoned arrows with that poison I listed above, depending on how much (if any) they resist the poison, I can be doing up to 24 points of damage PER SECOND for 30 seconds. For defense, Shield is good -- my Shield potions at this level and with my character's equipment is 49% for 148 seconds -- and with the enchanted items my character is wearing, one Shield potion gets me up to the maximum 85% armor rating. Really handy for melee combat.

I am into Zhe Academie. Where exactly do I make new spells?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I am into Zhe Academie. Where exactly do I make new spells?

There's a room with what looks like music stands in it -- can't remember what it's called, but it's one of the doors through the gates & outside along the grassy area. There's a similar room where you can enchant items. Anyway you activate the altar/music-stand-like-thing, and then you can make spells. You have to pay gold to make them, and you cannot make spells that you are unable to cast.

Pellham

Banned
Zensetsu said:
I think I broke an essential thieves guild quest. Can't find any way to complete it now. :(

I had to steal a ring off some countess, was supposed to bribe her servant for the location of it, but I diddn't have the cash. Went searching for it instead. Found her jewelry box, all it had was a "normal" style ring (a valuable one, but not marked for the quest in any way, just generic loot). Gave up on it for a while, went and killed some bandits, got some cash....went back and bribed the servant. She told me to go get it from the box that i had allready looted before...nothing there at the times specified in the quest.

A bit stupid if the quest is that easy to break...hope I can complete it somehow but i've tried a bunch of things...I don't have the save from before.

You might wanna check that box when the countess is sleeping. The servant mentions that the countess wears the ring all the time.

BTW I love how marauders and bandits talk to each other and do their own little radiant ai. Are they enemies with each other? Every time I go into Fort Nikel, I find bandits and marauders fighting each other. It's hilarious. :D

Y2Kev

SteveMeister said:
There's a room with what looks like music stands in it -- can't remember what it's called, but it's one of the doors through the gates & outside along the grassy area. There's a similar room where you can enchant items. Anyway you activate the altar/music-stand-like-thing, and then you can make spells. You have to pay gold to make them, and you cannot make spells that you are unable to cast.

For future reference (for others), it's the Praxological place or whatever.

Y2Kev

I actually bumped into Umbra before reading here...I want her stuff. Any way for a level 8 high elf battle mage to kill her?

I'm having a bit of trouble with a certain side quest.. I think it may be broken..

I was doing the "Go Fish" quest near the Imperial City where I have to kill slaughterfish and collect their scales for the fisherman. I killed 5 of the fish, and I was working on number 6 and I had to retreat to heal up. When I went back, the fish was absolutely gone, and the compass is leading me in circles.. and no others seem to be spawning. It seems like the fish I was trying to kill fell through the world or something.. is there anything I can do to complete this quest? or should I use this unfortunate fisherman as an opportunity to join the dark brotherhood? XD

I should also note that I found some really funky AI behavior with the npc in the above quest..

I tried to kill him and he woke up and he ran outside.. I followed him outside and I was able to talk to him.. once I talked to him, he forgot that I had tried to murder him and went back into his house to sleep. So I could go right back in and finish him off :lol

Y2Kev

What's the best way to make money fast?

I'm in the mage's guild so I guess I could loot all their headquarters, but that can't be a good idea.

Solo

Ok, I feel like a moron, but Ill ask anyways: do I have to advance EVERY skill my guy has to level up? I mean, Ive made lots of progress, beat lots of quests, become a pretty fierce gladiator, etc. My blade and block skills improve all the time, but yet Im still at Lvl. 1.

I've closed the first Oblivion Gate, and I'm in the middle of the Kvatch quest line. Holy crap, the game just turned into COD:Oblivion. So awesome and intense! :)

Solo: You have to rest in a bed to level up.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Solo said:
Ok, I feel like a moron, but Ill ask anyways: do I have to advance EVERY skill my guy has to level up? I mean, Ive made lots of progress, beat lots of quests, become a pretty fierce gladiator, etc. My blade and block skills improve all the time, but yet Im still at Lvl. 1.
Increase any combination of your seven main skills by ten points in total to level up. You'll know when you get a new "point"; a message will appear at the top of the screen telling you. When you get enough to level up, the message will essentially tell you that you need to sleep. Increasing any of the 14 other skills is always good, but they will not help you to level up.

Grath

Solo said:

You have to gain 10 levels in any combination of your 7 major skills. Then you have to rest somewhere, and while you dream, you can level up.

Edit: Oh, well, beaten...

golem

Solo said:
You need to advance your major skills 10 times.

atomsk

Party Pooper
had the game lock up on me this morning twice. once while i had to follow a woman all day, and the other time walking around anvil. first time it just plain froze, the second the framerate went down to single digits, and when i went to enter a house it locked up on the load screen. (360 version btw)

but i played about 4 hours after that with no problems.

so far my favorite radiant AI moment was when i had to watch that woman all day. she's just doing work in the vineyard and shit, along with some other dude. and a random bandit enters the field. before i could even draw my sword, her and the dude with her knock the guy out with thier FISTS OF STEEL. guy went down with 2 punches. he wasnt even armed. stupid bandit. and then they went back to work.

raYne

Y2Kevbug11 said:
What's the best way to make money fast?
Depends... if you want legit way, I can't help you. But if you want a sneaky (ie bugged) way I'm the guy to talk to. [/lurks in shadows]

gblues

Banned
I took a screenshot of the game glitching on me:
oblivion-glitch.jpg

I also get random junk on the screen if I'm anywhere near an Oblivion Gate, although maybe that's normal.

Nathan

golem

gblues said:
I took a screenshot of the game glitching on me:
oblivion-glitch.jpg

I also get random junk on the screen if I'm anywhere near an Oblivion Gate, although maybe that's normal.

Nathan
your video card about to explode?

raYne

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Let's talk.
MUAHAHAHAH.. Oh.. sorry..

-Equip your most expensive hand weapon (sword, staff, hammer whatever).
-Get a horse.
-Head to the camp just south of Kvatch (where the survivors are).
-????
-Profit (ie Sell the equipped weapon to the Orc woman until you tired from all these newfound riches)

You have to stay on the horse when you sell the item or it won't work. Basically you keep selling the same item over and over and never lose posession of it. Hell, you can watch some TV for a few minutes or whatever since you only have to keep pressing "A" to sell it over and over.

As a side effect, your merchantilism goes up as well.. heh.

There's another way as well which involves bribing some guy (specific character) and killing him over and over and picking his pocket, but it's far more involved.

TheDuce22

Banned
Something tells me im doomed because my new character is leveling too fast. Im 16 after
closing the first oblivion gate
. The only thing saving me is my 2nd level skeleton and deadra from conjuring. Everything in the game would completely annihilate me without it. Im just hoping eventually the creatures reach a level cap or something and the difficulty starts to ramp back down.

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Have you found the Old Bridge? Slightly Northwest of it, along the road (literally, right up against the road) is a ruin... V-something...

I think you might like what you find at the end...

Umbra and her full set of Ebony armor and probably the best sword you will have found until then

Yea, she just harsh owned my Level 4 nord warrior...

Y2Kev

raYne said:
MUAHAHAHAH.. Oh.. sorry..

-Equip your most expensive hand weapon (sword, staff, hammer whatever).
-Get a horse.
-Head to the camp just south of Kvatch (where the survivors are).
-????
-Profit (ie Sell the equipped weapon to the Orc woman until you tired from all these newfound riches)

You have to stay on the horse when you sell the item or it won't work. Basically you keep selling the same item over and over and never lose posession of it. Hell, you can watch some TV for a few minutes or whatever since you only have to keep pressing "A" to sell it over and over.

As a side effect, your merchantilism goes up as well.. heh.

There's another way as well which involves bribing some guy (specific character) and killing him over and over and picking his pocket, but it's far more involved.

You, sir, kick ass.

Top Bottom