• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
raYne said:
There's another way as well which involves bribing some guy (specific character) and killing him over and over and picking his pocket, but it's far more involved.
Doesn't really seem like it at all; this video makes it look pretty easy. I'm not going to use it unless I really need to, though.

raYne

vatstep said:
Doesn't really seem like it at all; this video makes it look pretty easy. I'm not going to use it unless I really need to, though.
I suppose it's not really difficult... but with the other method you simply press "A" over and over. No sneaking around and pickpocketing etc. Using this method you can literally watch some tv, go get a drink, head to the bathroom... whatever and you're still getting money since you're still pressing "A".

belgurdo

Banned
raYne said:
MUAHAHAHAH.. Oh.. sorry..

-Equip your most expensive hand weapon (sword, staff, hammer whatever).
-Get a horse.
-Head to the camp just south of Kvatch (where the survivors are).
-????
-Profit (ie Sell the equipped weapon to the Orc woman until you tired from all these newfound riches)

You have to stay on the horse when you sell the item or it won't work. Basically you keep selling the same item over and over and never lose posession of it. Hell, you can watch some TV for a few minutes or whatever since you only have to keep pressing "A" to sell it over and over.

As a side effect, your merchantilism goes up as well.. heh.

There's another way as well which involves bribing some guy (specific character) and killing him over and over and picking his pocket, but it's far more involved.

THANK GOD. Now maybe I can do something about these stupid scaled mobs now that I can actually buy a horse and some items now...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SiegfriedFM said:
Trin:
Yes, as you've probably found out you'll get attacked by ghosts. You can then track down the owner and make him help you. Make sure you have a way of dealing with multiple ghosts. Oh, and they can't open doors :)

Ghosts are my bitch. I'm a mage knight character, so much of my attack repertoire is shooting fireballs. Luckily, ghosts hate that shit.

Solo said:
Hey guys, how can I join the Dark Brotherhood?

Murder someone. Then, go to bed somewhere. A member of the brotherhood will meet you at night.

Bloodwake

Oblivion owns.

Just getting into a middle of a quest in a populated area is gratifying. Just run out into the streets and you have instant backup from the town's citizens.

Pissed off villagers FTW :D

belgurdo

Banned
Bloodwake said:
Oblivion owns.

Just getting into a middle of a quest in a populated area is gratifying. Just run out into the streets and you have instant backup from the town's citizens.

Pissed off villagers FTW :D

Plus when they die from trying to handle overpowered mobs that outclass them, you can take their loot and sell it at the nearest outfitter (provided he didn't get killed himself.) Quest bonus. ;)

Solo

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Solo: You have to rest in a bed to level up.

:lol
OMG I am a tool. Thanks! I slept finally, until I stopped leveling up. My lack of sleeping made me miss 10 levels :lol

SonnyBoy said:
Ive been storing my loot in the pirate ship since nobody wanders inside of it. Has anyone been doing the same?

I'm afraid of storing stuff in anywhere but my house. I left a sword in a house early on in the game but when I returned a few days later it was gone. I've since read that the AI will come across stuff like that and take it for themselves. Note to self: Oblivion isn't Morrowind.

Even though no one goes in those pirate ships other than the pirates themselves, I'd still have trouble leaving anything valuable in 'em even after I've killed everyone onboard. But that's just me.

raYne

Solo said:
:lol
OMG I am a tool. Thanks! I slept finally, until I stopped leveling up. My lack of sleeping made me miss 10 levels :lol
Crawl under the pipe!

They should've let lack of sleep affect your character somehow. Blurred vision, slowed speed/agility, hallucination (my preference) something...

IJoel

So what is better for a pure mage:

No Armor (vanilla mage robes) - spells at 100%
Full Elven Armor (light armor) - spells at 91%
Full Obsidian Armor (heavy armor) - spells at 87%

I currently use a elven armor, since I haven't found a worthy mage robe.

Solo

This game is quickly reaching Deus Ex and Metal Gear Solid 1 levels for me. Those are my first and second favorite games ever, so you get the point. You guys made a fucking masterpiece, Steve, kudos!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I finnally found an explantion on how skill mulipliers work (it differs a bit from morrowind)

Now- before I go further- the leveling system works like so
10 total points in primary skills = a LOCKED level
When leveling, you get three tokens which can be placed into any attribute for a single point. You can get multipliers to boost the number of points the single token gives you, with a max multiplier of X5. Luck never gets a multiplier.

So, for a perfect level up, you will want to get two X5 miltipliers, and throw your last token into Luck, so it always gets pumped. (Luck is the hardest ATTRB to max out.)

Gaining a multiplier is simple. Your multiplier will be
Total Skill Points Gained Under Attribute /2 (Round Down), minimum 1, max 5.

Example- you gain 3 points of blade, 4 points of blunt, and 2 points of Hand to Hand. Total 9 points under the Strength Attribute (as the three skills fall under that ATTRB) Your multiplier when you level will be 9/2= 4.5- Round Down- so X4 multipier. If you gained one more point in that go, you would have had 10/2=X5 multiplier.

I said before that when you get 10 Primary skill points, your level LOCKS. What that means is once you get your tenth primary skill point, any further skill points (primary or secondary) will go to your NEXT level.
In other words
You are level 2, with Alchemy and Heavy Armor as a primary skill. Blade, blunt and Hand 2 Hand are secondary skills.
You gain 3 blade, 4 blunt, 2 hand to hand. Nine Strength attribute points so far.
Then you gain 8 points of alchemy. 2 of heavy armor.
As soon as you gained that second heavy armor point- or tenth skill point, your level modifiers are set at Str X4 (the 9 points) Intelligence X4 (8 points of Alchemy) and Endurance with no multiplier (2 points of Heavy Armor).
Now, lets say you really wanted to get that strength modifier up to a X5, so you go nuts and gain another 11 points of Blade.
When you level up, you will still be stuck with a X4 Str multiplier. Because it was LOCKED when you got that tenth primary skill point.
When you gain your next level after that, however, your STR will be at X5 because of the 11 (11/2 max 5=5) skill points you threw into blade.

For those who are interested, posted by Sirpinchy on gamefaqs of all places

ouch.jpg

OUCH!

SonnyBoy

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I'm afraid of storing stuff in anywhere but my house. I left a sword in a house early on in the game but when I returned a few days later it was gone. I've since read that the AI will come across stuff like that and take it for themselves. Note to self: Oblivion isn't Morrowind.

Even though no one goes in those pirate ships other than the pirates themselves, I'd still have trouble leaving anything valuable in 'em even after I've killed everyone onboard. But that's just me.

I killed the pirates. :D

raYne

belgurdo said:
Where are the houses for sale and who do I talk to to get them?
In most cases you can befriend (ie persuade) the leader of the town/city (the Countess for example) and they'll tell you what's for sale. In special cases you can also bump into a random npc and they'll give you some info about it.

Offtopic:
...and because I'm in the mood to bitch about something. Why the hell is it that sometimes I can't retrieve my arrows even if I can plainly see the sticking out someone?

Speaking of storing...

Anyone know how much storage capacity those chests you can buy for your house has? I'm currently living in the waterfront slum of the Imperial City and bought a storage chest from the store. I've been dumping seemingly a TON of crap into the thing and it's not full yet. Don't these things have limits like they did in Morrowind? With the ammount of armor and weapons I've dropped into it you'd think it would've reached its limit by now.

SonnyBoy

Mage glitch?

I unloaded all of my gear to get that ring out of the well but when I went back the body was gone. When in the well the marker is green and points to the exit but when I exit the marker turns read and leads back to the well....

belgurdo said:
Where are the houses for sale and who do I talk to to get them?

In the Imperial City, go to the Market District and look for the Imperial Commerce office (or something like that). If your disposition is high enough, you'll get the option to buy a house from them (2,000 bucks for a slum shanty).

I haven't looked into buying other property in other towns yet.

calder

Holy shit what awesome fun!

Picked it up for PC this morning, installed it and thought I'd try it out for a second before eating lunch and ended up going right through the tutorial levels. Going to be a sneaky bastard/arrows from the dark in the head +3 sneak damage jerk.

Plays well on a mediocre system - no AA but it looks pretty good and runs smoothly. Sadly the reason I stopped playing was a major freeze that required a reboot - hope that's not too common. :\

I better read the manual too, I normally do but was just trying to wing it and probably missed some stuff.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
TheDuce22 said:
Something tells me im doomed because my new character is leveling too fast. Im 16 after
closing the first oblivion gate
. The only thing saving me is my 2nd level skeleton and deadra from conjuring. Everything in the game would completely annihilate me without it. Im just hoping eventually the creatures reach a level cap or something and the difficulty starts to ramp back down.

i'm starting the main quest at slightly lower levels, and i'm also getting pwned. mainly by clannfears. they can kill me in four shots, and they're damned hard to avoid. i don't know whether the game is supposed to be this difficult or whether my character just sucks -- morrowind led me to expect a more forgiving game, so i didn't really optimize in character creation.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If the levels scale and you are still getting beat, it has to be either your equipment, your playstyle, or poor character optimization.

Or something else?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Speaking of storing...

Anyone know how much storage capacity those chests you can buy for your house has? I'm currently living in the waterfront slum of the Imperial City and bought a storage chest from the store. I've been dumping seemingly a TON of crap into the thing and it's not full yet. Don't these things have limits like they did in Morrowind? With the ammount of armor and weapons I've dropped into it you'd think it would've reached its limit by now.

I've put a ton of stuff into the dresser. You know, you get two dressers along with the chest when you buy it. They're over by the bed.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it's not that i'm dying constantly or getting stuck -- i've worked out a set of cheap tactics that gets me by -- but it seems like everything i fight is stronger than me. a routine bear or troll can kick my ass if i'm not careful. maybe i ought to carry lots of healing potions...generally i try to do without them.

RegularMK

drohne said:
it's not that i'm dying constantly or getting stuck -- i've worked out a set of cheap tactics that gets me by -- but it seems like everything i fight is stronger than me. a routine bear or troll can kick my ass if i'm not careful. maybe i ought to carry lots of healing potions...generally i try to do without them.

I strongly recommend you lower the difficulty slider. I know it sounds lame, but it evens out the fights and makes them much more fair. Combat is loads more fun since I've done that. No more petty cheap tactics for me.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
My probs with oblivion:

-Everything is *too* balanced now. You have enemies that level up with you, loot that levels up with you, etc. I'm at level 20 now and I have all this ebony loot etc. but it doesn't feel like I've earned it, as now I can go into any dungeon on the map and get more. Chest/crate/whatever loot in the morrowind dungeons got better as you progressed, but it didn't feel nearly so pronounced or integral to the game.

And they really took a hard line with static items (stuff sitting on shelves and such) being totally useless mostly. There are a select few decent items around in display cases and such but mostly they really wanted to "protect" players from the good stuff until it started to appear just about everywhere. Now at my level every npc is walking around with glass and ebony weapons on them, but the stores are lined with fur and iron.

-Fully voiced dialogue. You might wonder what I mean here, but personally I prefer partially voiced games like BG2/Torment/etc. I read quickly, and I have to be in a patient mood to actually wait for the NPC to finish his dialogue bits (or intentionally ignore the text), though at least most characters speak quickly and the lip sync is pretty impressive. But yeah, voices help with immersion and character association, but I since I'm not a mouth-breathing casual I like reading and prefer complex dialogue exchanges, explanations, backstory, etc.

Being fully voiced of course has the secondary effect of really limiting the size of the overall game script compared to what would be feasible in a partially voiced game. And, well, yeah there's a *lot* of dialogue in oblivion overall (40 hours? something like that), quests tend to feel simple because of the brisk descriptions and such. They tried to make up for this with scripted events in some quests, and those are nice but it still feels like it's missing out.

-Speaking of quests, I feel like I'm advancing FAR too quickly in the factions (especially since there aren't that many of them). People might complain about the quests sucking in morrowind, but I liked that it really took a long time and tons of objectives to make it to the top of the guilds, and you had a LOT of factions. In Oblivion I could probably easily finish the thieves guild, fighters guild, and mages guild quest lines in one sitting if I ignore all those dungeons I find when taking trips.

-Graphically the game is absolutely stunning, but the towns are pretty same-y mostly...I've played the game a *lot* and I can probably only recognize like half of the cities immediately by visuals, and I'm far too dependent on the map and compass to get around now. In morrowind the lack of a compass let me really learn the areas...I could probably draw a map of balmora right now, and I appreciate that the game resonated with me in that way.

Also, while most random NPCs in morrowind were totally useless, at least there was an appropriate density in towns and cities. All the non-guard NPCs in cities being unique and telling you their names and all that crap, in conjunction with the stiff graphical requirements, must've precluded bethsoft from actually populating the game world properly. The imperial city doesn't *feel* big to me. Not nearly something like Vivec anyway. I know it *is* big, and yeah I can see that spire from miles away which is cool, but the segmented outdoor nature of the city coupled with the NPC density takes away from it.

-Fast travel. I don't know, it's incredibly useful and pretty much essential when you're doing quest lines, as you jump from city to city to wilderness every other minute, but at this point I think I vastly prefer morrowind's system of limited boat/strider spots. And lack of mark/recall to your house is a huge omission here for loot collectors such as myself...I don't actually use my house and use a fast-travel lodge location instead for this reason. You also really need to stay away from fast travel to actually appreciate the game world, once you start populating your location database on the map. I mean now when I want to go somewhere it's all about clicking on the nearest explored location and making a bee-line, and that plus the compass mechanic means that I'm always like 30 seconds away from the dungeon or whatever that I'm traveling to, and I barely see the outdoors anymore.

Soooooooooooooo, yeah. Maybe what's really in order is an oblivion engine total conversion of...morrowind. With oblivion's combat, stealth, and graphics, and morrowind's total lack of mmorpg-reminiscent balancing and morrowind's real sense of freedom and accomplishment. Or maybe oblivion will be modded in that direction to some degree (it's already happening).

Lil' Dice

Banned
I'm running into a problem completing a thieves guild mission.
I failed my first one, so i get a second chance. I have to
steal a sword from a shop called "The Fighting Chance", but the marker on my quest map keeps pointing to the waterfront area, when i need to find the shop in the Imperial City.
Anyone know where this shop is?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
EviLore said:
My probs with oblivion:

-Everything is *too* balanced now. You have enemies that level up with you, loot that levels up with you, etc. I'm at level 20 now and I have all this ebony loot etc. but it doesn't feel like I've earned it, as now I can go into any dungeon on the map and get more. Chest/crate/whatever loot in the morrowind dungeons got better as you progressed, but it didn't feel nearly so pronounced or integral to the game.

Omg I remember this. I found a daedric dagger in Morrowind and I was so excited. I didn't even think about how this could hurt Oblivion.
And they really took a hard line with static items (stuff sitting on shelves and such) being totally useless mostly. There are a select few decent items around in display cases and such but mostly they really wanted to "protect" players from the good stuff until it started to appear just about everywhere. Now at my level every npc is walking around with glass and ebony weapons on them, but the stores are lined with fur and iron.

True. I have a ton of cash and nowhere to buy good shit. That's upsetting. I feel like I need to power level.

-Fully voiced dialogue. You might wonder what I mean here, but personally I prefer partially voiced games like BG2/Torment/etc. I read quickly, and I have to be in a patient mood to actually wait for the NPC to finish his dialogue bits (or intentionally ignore the text), though at least most characters speak quickly and the lip sync is pretty impressive. But yeah, voices help with immersion and character association, but I since I'm not a mouth-breathing casual I like reading and prefer complex dialogue exchanges, explanations, backstory, etc.

Do what I do. Read the text quickly and skip the dialog. I don't really know if I like the new interface (up close to the face). Morrowind had a nice way of displaying text, but sometimes it just got too text-heavy.

-Speaking of quests, I feel like I'm advancing FAR too quickly in the factions (especially since there aren't that many of them). People might complain about the quests sucking in morrowind, but I liked that it really took a long time and tons of objectives to make it to the top of the guilds, and you had a LOT of factions. In Oblivion I could probably easily finish the thieves guild, fighters guild, and mages guild quest lines in one sitting if I ignore all those dungeons I find when taking trips.

That is quite a sitting.

-Graphically the game is absolutely stunning, but the towns are pretty same-y mostly...I've played the game a *lot* and I can probably only recognize like half of the cities immediately by visuals, and I'm far too dependent on the map and compass to get around now. In morrowind the lack of a compass let me really learn the areas...I could probably draw a map of balmora right now, and I appreciate that the game resonated with me in that way.

I think you have a point. Every town has the similar structure around the chapel, but the towns do generally have different art styles. I think it was Bravil...maybe...it felt almost medieval there.
Also, while most random NPCs in morrowind were totally useless, at least there was an appropriate density in towns and cities. All the non-guard NPCs in cities being unique and telling you their names and all that crap, in conjunction with the stiff graphical requirements, must've precluded bethsoft from actually populating the game world properly. The imperial city doesn't *feel* big to me. Not nearly something like Vivec anyway. I know it *is* big, and yeah I can see that spire from miles away which is cool, but the segmented outdoor nature of the city coupled with the NPC density takes away from it.

This is my biggest problem with the game. The imperial city should be LINED with people. Everywhere. I want vendors haggling on the street, I want people walking, talking, running....going in and out of stores. The "giant city" is empty. WTF is that.

RegularMK

EviLore said:
depressing list of complaints

But you still love it right? :(

I agree with a few of those points, but I'm not sure if you're counting them as completely debilitating faults or if they're just a nuisance.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
There is some high powered unleveled loot around. It's just very, very, VERY hard to find.

The Merchant quest in Imperial City? Where the guy is unkowingly selling the clothing of dead people? Look around carefully in the tomb when you're there...

Also there are a bunch of Daedric Shrine quests you can do that will result in giving you a nice artifact. Some of these have minimum level requirements, but not all. Just find a Daedric shrine and talk to the followers about what you have to do to get the quest.

I just looked into buying a house in a couple cities and apparently I have to be "famous." :( I dun wanna be famous. I'm just a dungeon crawler, lay off lady.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I've played a disgusting amount of it since tuesday; I've basically been living oblivion. The graphics are absurd and for a while when exploring the world I'd periodically stop and let my jaw drop.

But now that I've adjusted to the graphics, and experienced the core oblivion experience fully, I'm just figuring out what works, what's a *real* advancement in game mechanics compared to the last elder scrolls, that sort of thing. Whether I think it's GOTY and one of the best RPGs ever, or if I think it's in many ways a step back from morrowind in concept (hint: I think it's both), doesn't really matter when addressing its faults ;b

There is some high powered unleveled loot around. It's just very, very, VERY hard to find

Yeah, I've found a lot of it probably ;b

Florian

SteveMeister, I just finished that quest. Are you talking about the
enchanted mace
? Or is there something even beter?

I think I found a glitch, by the way, I killed some guy in the Imperial city and he had 47 gold on him. When you take his gold it doesn't disapear so you can keep getting money. It's an easy way to get money, but I'm not going to use it.

calder

Brutal, since my first crash I've been unable to get the game to run for more than a minute at at time. Very very frustrating, I've been tweaking all the settings I can but nothing's helping. I think I'll try to set it aside and wait for a patch now while I can still walk away for a while. If that doesn't help I guess I'll go pick up a new video card (finally).

belgurdo

Banned
WTF? I just got arrested for riding my own horse that I just bought. Patch this shit, Bethedsa :mad:

edit-it may have had something to do with me stealing a horse off the stable beforehand, then not waiting for it to come back before purchasing it, so the horse that was "mine" still queues up as belonging to the stable otherwise. Odd little bug

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
In the Imperial City, go to the Market District and look for the Imperial Commerce office (or something like that). If your disposition is high enough, you'll get the option to buy a house from them (2,000 bucks for a slum shanty).

I haven't looked into buying other property in other towns yet.

5k for the haunted house in anvil. It's a steal...once you get rid of the soul stealing ghosts. :p

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
belgurdo said:
WTF? I just got arrested for riding my own horse that I just bought. Patch this shit, Bethedsa :mad:

edit-it may have had something to do with me stealing a horse off the stable beforehand, then not waiting for it to come back before purchasing it, so the horse that was "mine" still queues up as belonging to the stable otherwise. Odd little bug

Belgurdo, did you double check that the horseshoe was white and not red?

Florian, yes, that's what I'm talking about.

RegularMK, I don't remember what I had to do to get the guy to help me. When in doubt though, try to persuade. My character has 5 separate Charm spells, so I always cast all of them to get a maximum disposition boost (spells that are different stack).

thorns

Banned
I just got the PAL version.. everything looks great! but unfortunately I might not have the time to dedicate to such a vast rpg.. :( it's just beautiful to look at though...

belgurdo

Banned
SteveMeister said:
Belgurdo, did you double check that the horseshoe was white and not red?

Florian, yes, that's what I'm talking about.

RegularMK, I don't remember what I had to do to get the guy to help me. When in doubt though, try to persuade. My character has 5 separate Charm spells, so I always cast all of them to get a maximum disposition boost (spells that are different stack).

Yeah, the horseshoe was white, but even if I approached the horse I got a 1 coin bounty and guards up my ass. It's probably just a bug dealing with only one horse being at the stable, like I'm thinking

TheDuce22

Banned
If the levels scale and you are still getting beat, it has to be either your equipment, your playstyle, or poor character optimization.

Or something else?

The problem is I use every one of my main skills and I use them often. Im leveling so fast its impossible to keep my gear and spells up to date and my stat multipliers are never higher than 3. I think that money exploit will help alot though.

calder said:
Brutal, since my first crash I've been unable to get the game to run for more than a minute at at time. Very very frustrating, I've been tweaking all the settings I can but nothing's helping. I think I'll try to set it aside and wait for a patch now while I can still walk away for a while. If that doesn't help I guess I'll go pick up a new video card (finally).

Mine was prone to crashing until I disabled my antivirus software and everything else in my system tray. Runs fairly stable now.

RegularMK

SteveMeister said:

Already got him at 100 :(

calder

The Shadow said:
Mine was prone to crashing until I disabled my antivirus software and everything else in my system tray. Runs fairly stable now.
Hey thanks, I disabled AVG and it ran much better. It froze in the city, but I'm sure that was just a shitty-video card performance issue but at least it doesn't fully lock up randomly every 30 seconds while I'm crouched in the dark and hit tab.

Belfast

OK, so I got vampirism and I'm almost done with the quest to cure it. But I'm having just one wee little problem:

WHERE THE HELL CAN I FIND GARLIC?! I've gotten everything else, gotten all the "tougher" ingredients. What should theoretically be the easiest to find is completely eluding me, though. Actually, I have three cloves which I *did* buy from merchants, but those have been a rare find. I've been to every city and every alchemical/general trader that I can think of. Is there a place or farm somewhere that it grows at?

Top Bottom