• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

VALIS

What's a good place to buy or find lockpicks? Very few merchants in Imperial City Marketplace have 'em, and I tapped those out. I'm doing one side quest where I have to tail some merchant to see where he gets his goods from, and I broke 26 lockpicks trying to break into his supplier's basement. It's a hard lock, but still, I'm a clod. :lol

Pellham

Banned
VALIS said:
What's a good place to buy or find lockpicks? I'm doing one side quest where I have to tail some merchant to see where he gets his goods from, and I broke 26 lockpicks trying to break into his supplier's basement. It's a hard lock, but still, I'm a clod. :lol

Fences sell 100 lockpicks at a time.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Sp3eD said:
There is a ring that allows you to see life 60 feet in front of you. (they glow purple) Almost like nighteye.

It is in the
Sideways Cave located just south of where you get out of the sewer at the start.

That was the first decent item I found and it was right at the beginning of my game too :D

Prine

Banned
has anyone tried the night ritual yet? Is that a gameplay element or just a myth?

Id be extremly impressed if the game allows you to do that sort of stuff.

I was just taking some snap shots of Oblivion off of my tv 'cause it's so purty. I think I need a better camera though. Way too blurry and dark. Seems like every pic I get off of the thing looks like I'm using a glaucoma filter.

P3250238.JPG

P3250239.JPG

P3250245.JPG

P3250252.JPG

P3250255.JPG

belgurdo

Banned
Uh oh...

I touched a runestone in the middle of the forest and now I have this really evil looking armor and weapon stuck to me (although it has really good stats.) Is that good or bad?

edit: the weapon goes away if you put it away, and the armor goes away after time. Interesting

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Well they might be blurry but they still look great. I think around about 7pm, when the sun is setting, is when you get the nicest views of the world. You get that lovely pinkish hue cast over everything.

Crow

belgurdo said:
Uh oh...

I touched a runestone in the middle of the forest and now I have this really evil looking armor and weapon stuck to me (although it has really good stats.) Is that good or bad?

It goes away, it's only temporary. You'll notice two icons on your top right, with the little half circle above it that normally signify a NPC's health. That will gradually drain away, and when gone you are back to nomal.

"I touched a runestone in the middle of the forest and now I have this really evil looking armor and weapon stuck to me (although it has really good stats.) Is that good or bad?

edit: the weapon goes away if you put it away, and the armor goes away after time. Interesting"

You get the same effect if you do a bound *item* spell. I have a bound armor spell that summons a daedric helmet. pretty nice to have.

Megafoo Chavez

I love EGM
is there any advice on how to become a better pickpocketer? I need phat loots. and i want to steal from my guildies. their rich im poor and saving the world.

VALIS said:
What's a good place to buy or find lockpicks? Very few merchants in Imperial City Marketplace have 'em, and I tapped those out. I'm doing one side quest where I have to tail some merchant to see where he gets his goods from, and I broke 26 lockpicks trying to break into his supplier's basement. It's a hard lock, but still, I'm a clod. :lol
You can try pickpocketing the key off the guy.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Uncle said:
Nevermind. The dude showed up.

Wait for 6 hours.

EDIT: Too slow :)

BTW, this has probably been brought up already in the 3000 or so posts, but why does every guild kick you out if you beat up on your owned horse? Is that Bethesta's hidden punishment aginast animal cruilty, or is my save file a little messed up :-|

belgurdo

Banned
Megafoo Chavez said:
is there any advice on how to become a better pickpocketer? I need phat loots. and i want to steal from my guildies. their rich im poor and saving the world.

just go around towns lockpicking everything until your security skills get high, then stand behind people and sneak for as long as you deem healthy (make sure no one can see you so you get the sneak bonuses.) Or have someone train you. For actually picking things off people, it's part luck and part tied into your skills

Speevy

Banned
Remember the endless walk in Morrowind? (when you reached the end of the map)

In this game, there's an area that gives you a "You can't go any farther." message. Is this quest-related or just a barrier?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Speevy said:
Remember the endless walk in Morrowind? (when you reached the end of the map)

In this game, there's an area that gives you a "You can't go any farther." message. Is this quest-related or just a barrier?

Barrier.

Who do you need to speak with to see about buying a home in the Imperial City (wasn't it very cheap, 2k? I have enough to buy a home anywhere... I eventually want one in both Bruma and Cheydinhal... but I just want somewhere to store my stuff for now)?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Who do you need to speak with to see about buying a home in the Imperial City (wasn't it very cheap, 2k? I have enough to buy a home anywhere... I eventually want one in both Bruma and Cheydinhal... but I just want somewhere to store my stuff for now)?

There's a place called "Imperial City Commerce" or something in the market section, the woman in there sells houses.

Man, I just had the funniest experience. After a 4 minute battle with a wisp, I finally killed it. I was on the side of a mountain up near Bruma. Anyhow, the wisp body splats on the ground, then starts tumbling down hill. I chase after it, wanting the ectoplasm in it. It's rolling down the hill pretty quick, then it bounces off a rock and disappears on the other side. I jump over the rock, and it's a sheer dropoff on the other side and I fell to to my death. As soon as I hit the ground, I saw the wisp body tumbling away as I died.

Sysgen said:
F**k, my horse just died.

I was in a dungeon and I got the message "shadowmere is unconcious."

when I came out it was fine... and fine for a bit. Then randomly I got the message again and now the Horse is gone permanently it would seem :/

Not too big a deal though, I kind of prefer to walk anyway.

Sysgen

^^^

..but a godamn Wolf killed mine and I'm too proud of a role player to load the last save. I walked the rest of the way as well.

mikeGFG

Banned
Holy moly, unbreakable lockpick FTW. Exploring random dungeons is so godamn fun. I'm supose to be on 20 something quests, but everytime I see some fort I have to stop and put a beating on its inhabitants-- amazing loot too.

Arena Grand Champion, baby!

For any thief-likes, I cannot express how much poisons rock. I was getting my ass wailed on at Brawler, I started using poisons and I took out the entire thing with ease. If you think you're having problems, just start using poisons more. You don't even have to get a high skill (mine's like 40~ and I saw benefits at 25) to see the benefits.

Jo-El

:lol I was just outside of Anvil when a highwayman demanded gold from me, I told him that I wouldn't pay him, then he began his attack. I desided to run back to Anvil and let the guards take care of him. When running back to town I looked behind me to see how close he was to me when all of a sudden a mountain lion jumped out from behind a bush and killed him.

Mike G.E.D. said:
Holy moly, unbreakable lockpick FTW. Exploring random dungeons is so godamn fun. I'm supose to be on 20 something quests, but everytime I see some fort I have to stop and put a beating on its inhabitants-- amazing loot too.

WTF?

Detailed explanatin of how to get to that dungeon, PLEASE.

I've actually been toldin vague detail and I STILL can't find that damn place.

Mr Jared

So my girlfriend says to me she says, "It's impossible to make an attractive looking female character in this game."

I was inclined to agree, until I finally sat down and took the creation system seriously.

oblivion_janissary.jpg

Mission accomplished? :X The shot is from the 360 version and my camera.

I started over for my third (!) time with this character too. I finally know how I want to play this game and in only a few hours, I've completely caught up with myself. Yay!

mikeGFG

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
WTF?

Detailed explanatin of how to get to that dungeon, PLEASE.

I've actually been toldin vague detail and I STILL can't find that damn place.

Just go to the Nocturnal Shrine:
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/8582/03250620304wl.jpg

Talk with the statue there, it will give you a quest. Go back to the town of Leyawijn and ask around for the Noctural Eye, or the Thief brothers. (or you can just go directly to their home: Weebam-Na's House in the middle of town) Evesdrop on their converstation about the Eye and go to the map marker when your quest is updated, the rest is pretty self explanitory.

belgurdo

Banned
WarLox said:
what city is the mage guild in ? :)

All of them, I think. The very first thing they make you do when you join the guild is visit them all.

An aside, but I kind of find it hilarious that people don't notice it when you open doors using the keys you pickpocketed off of them right in their faces. Reactive AI ftw

Mike G.E.D. said:
Just go to the Nocturnal Shrine:
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/8582/03250620304wl.jpg

Talk with the statue there, it will give you a quest. Go back to the town of Leyawijn and ask around for the Noctural Eye, or the Thief brothers. (or you can just go directly to their home: Weebam-Na's House in the middle of town) Evesdrop on their converstation about the Eye and go to the map marker when your quest is updated, the rest is pretty self explanitory.

Finally!!! Thanks.

My confusion came from the fact that the descritpion I had previously made it seem like the Shrine was BEFORE (south) of that town.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Prine said:

?

All the other shots are better. And they don't really do the game justice. In person it's much sharper, detailed. The animation, sound effects, and music really complement it well. Oblivion is ahead of its time.

teh_pwn

belgurdo said:
Uh oh...

edit: the weapon goes away if you put it away, and the armor goes away after time. Interesting

Some will give you major magic skills.

teh_pwn

Is there a torch hotkey or something? My mouse wheel is getting a workout.

It must really be a bitch for xbox360 players if there's not one.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
alkaline black said:
*Awesome picture*

Holy crap, that's very nice. How long did it take you though? I wish the Bethesda people had put as much effort as you did into the female face models.

"Is there a torch hotkey or something? My mouse wheel is getting a workout.

It must really be a bitch for xbox360 players if there's not one."

Go to the inventory menu, hold down a number and click your torch. (I know it works like that for everything else)

Top Bottom