• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Belfast

KarishBHR said:
Ok... like, how did you know you didnt need to goto the gates... I was just following what they said you know?

Ill try this looser approach tomorrow

Screw around for awhile and you'll find all kinds of dungeons littering the countryside. Eventually, you'll have to go into town to sell your loot (or you can go straight to town, your choice) and quests just sort of pop up. Start talking to people and you'll get them in no time.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
So have you been getting arrested in every town? Do you have a bounty?

Not sure why it's happening but personally I'd try going to the Thieves Guild. That should clear it up.

The stats screen says I have a bounty of 0.

Don't know what's going on. I haven't even started the whole Grey Fox thing yet (I'm a warrior, not a thief).

Edit:

I just realized what a performance drain HDR is. As much as I love it, I turned it off. I noticed that the framerate seemed much higher when I was walking around outside at night than in the day. :(

belgurdo

Banned
FlyinJ said:
My savegame says 52 hours, and I've only closed the first gate.

I closed my first gate at about 20 hours...but I've spent all of those hours only doing stuff on the southwestern portion of the country. This game is going to be nuts.

Mr Jared

Kyouji said:
Holy crap, that's very nice. How long did it take you though? I wish the Bethesda people had put as much effort as you did into the female face models.

Sorry Im so late to reply to this. I went out tonight. . and now it's too late to play more Oblivion ;____;

This alone only took me about 10 minutes, but an hour in total. . because I had to scrap what I had done 3 times to begin with. Here's what I did.

- The first thing you should do is define the age and complextion. . and then never touch it again. If you touch the complextion slider after you define the skin tone of your character, it ROYALLY screws everything up. Notice her silky smooth skin? Yeah, that's from not touching the complextion slider.
- I also found a pretty girl to model the features after. For this, I just did a quick google search for Keira Knightley and found two headshots -- one of her facing forward and one looking to the side. Does she look like Keira Knightley? Heck no. . but at least all her features are well defined and go well together.
- And maybe it's just me, but I started from the bottom up. Chin, then jaw, cheeks, nose, eyes and forehead. I did the lips and main headshape at the end (The lips are tough to look natural), and then went back and made tiny tweaks across the board to stuff that came out odd.

And I agree. Bethesda hates women. . but the possibilities are there :D

Are there any Orc Warrior-types out there?

I really can't stand the look of Nord or Redguard males. Especially Nord. So tall and goofy. Neither really has the "ooh, big and stocky pummel you" look that the Orcs pull off better.

Anyway, the relevant issue:

How are 2h blunt drops mid to high level? As you start off you pretty much see nothing but blades and with my assassin I've seen nothing but ridiculously copious amounts of Uber blade weapons... with terrible blunt weapons.

I realize I can still use blades with my Orc even though they don't get a bonus but it simply wouldn't seem right.

Seth C

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Are there any Orc Warrior-types out there?

I really can't stand the look of Nord or Redguard males. Especially Nord. So tall and goofy. Neither really has the "ooh, big and stocky pummel you" look that the Orcs pull off better.

Anyway, the relevant issue:

How are 2h blunt drops mid to high level? As you start off you pretty much see nothing but blades and with my assassin I've seen nothing but ridiculously copious amounts of Uber blade weapons... with terrible blunt weapons.

I realize I can still use blades with my Orc even though they don't get a bonus but it simply wouldn't seem right.

How convenient. With my Adventurer (who uses blades) I find almost exclusively blunt weapons. My weak sword is a lot of the reason why every single battle with even one goblin has now become a 30 minutes fight where I run and heal over and over and over. I used to be able to kill goblins with ease, but hey, I leveled, and now they've out-leveled me. *groan*

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Seth C said:
I'm 30 hours in and still have the amulet...haha.

Ha! 50 hours and I still have the amulet. Got ya beat :p

Still haven't been to 4 cities yet either :)

This game is pretty much in my Top 3 games of all time already. I think it will probably pass to #1 by the time this weekend is over :lol

Zensetsu

Seth C said:
How convenient. With my Adventurer (who uses blades) I find almost exclusively blunt weapons. My weak sword is a lot of the reason why every single battle with even one goblin has now become a 30 minutes fight where I run and heal over and over and over. I used to be able to kill goblins with ease, but hey, I leveled, and now they've out-leveled me. *groan*

Yeah the main change that the auto-leveling of if the world has brought about is that you are now a lot more gear dependant. I can remember in morrowind, being ridiculously powerfull because of the character level, and just running around naked, beating on people with hand to hand.

I just did some awesome stuff, my guy worked for the count of Leylewiin and became a knight-errant of the town....got an orc buddy and the keys to the knight lodge from the count.
:D

KarishBHR said:
Ok... like, how did you know you didnt need to goto the gates... I was just following what they said you know?

Ill try this looser approach tomorrow
Just go to any random town and talk to people, steal shit, or start something. Don't be so boring.

The Shadow said:
Is anyone else having trouble with the guards seemingly wanting to arrest you for doing absolutely nothing wrong?

From Bruma to Imperial City, guards were ok with me. I talk to one civilian and start his quest. I see a guard who's horse is dead (don't know what happened) and he wants to arrest me for breaking the law when I walk up to him to talk to him. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I DID.

I tried loading a save just before that incident and they did the same thing. They don't run up to me or anything. I have to actually talk to them to say, "Stop, you're under arrest!"

Very strange. I'm playing as an Imperial and not as a Redguard. WTF?
Oh yeah, this happened to me. I was on my way to delivering the pendant, walking through the woods, when I see a guy on a horse. Figure I'll talk to him. Turns out he's a guard and he wants to arrest me. Bounty's only 25 gold, but all the other guards have ignored me, I have no idea what I'm wanted for, and I ain't gonna pay no money if I ain't sure I'm guilty. No one else is around. May as well try to run.

So I'm running along, guard's a safe distance behind me, when all of a sudden a stupid catman jumps out of the bushes and demands all my money. Like hell. I say no, and now I have both of them on me. And they're whuppin' me pretty bad. Running's no longer a viable option, so I may as well circle strafe and shoot arrows at these idiots until someone dies.

Took forever, but it worked. Two dead bodies in the middle of nowhere, with no one around to link me to the crime. Head on over to Jauffreeee, deliver the pendant, then decide to visit Chorrol, where I'm busted the second I reach the town gates. 1025 gold bounty on my head! Bullshiiiiiiit.

Before I rerolled I was busted for merely clicking on a locked door and accidentally moving my mouse and attempting a lockpick. And there was the time I had to pay a fine for moving a piece of fruit in the Chorrol castle barracks, which is apparently a serious crime around those parts. I thought maybe I did something similar earlier and forgot, but previously the guards never waited for me to talk to them before they came after me. Seems like a glitch, but I can live with it, since whatever crime I may have committed was in the city. I can just pretend I committed some minor infraction and someone ratted me out. Getting busted for a crime no one could have possibly seen me commit really, really sucks, though. I'm hoping someone's working on a guard/crime mod, cuz these psychic guys and the flagged stolen goods are a real drag.

eso76

How do you modify your character eyebrows ? i enter the texture menu but when i click on eyebrows it sends me back to eyebrows shape menu, not the texture / colour menu. Glitch ? This forces me to randomize my character until i find acceptable eyebrows and then modifying the rest of my facial features.

Also, after completing the
painter's quest (trolls are rather easy if you fight them with fire)
i dropped some of my items in front of this guy, in his home. I then tried to touch MY dropped items and he called me a thief and a guard came in to arrest me : \ So if you drop something in someone's house it automatically becomes theirs ? Or it happened because the item i tried to touch was stolen even if i had stolen it elsewhere ? (also, touching objects shouldn't be a crime anyway :p)

If i understood correctly, loot levelling means i can pillage dungeons all i want, but i won't find anything uber amazing being just a level 3 agent ? That kind of defeats the purpose of venturing dungeons so early doesn't it ?

Anyway, 20 hours into it; despite these minor gripes, this game is a friggin masterpiece.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Oblivion's officially broken in the higher levels. I'm running on a treadmill with this loot scaling. Every npc is now carrying daedric weapons (yes, you know, rare precious artifact daedric weapons), and dungeon crawling feels totally pointless when every enemy drops another one of these.

The factional quest lines leave much to be desired and are definitely a step back from morrowind. I'm just about done with the mages guild line and wow, talk about Fisher Price's My First Elder Scrolls. I'm almost done with the thieves guild quest line too, and while the concept of independent thievery is pretty fantastic, the execution made it useless. Increments of 100 gold? Right. Did 1000-2000 during the first couple "special jobs," so it's been auto-complete ever since. Arena was pretty cool but it didn't take much at all to get to grand champion.

It's sorta like the move from Baldur's Gate II to KotOR. It'll expand markets and get few complaints from casuals, but I feel alienated by the "streamlining."

Seth C

How do I know what is causing a stat to be in the red? My intelligence has been bumped down but I don't know why. I've tried a cur disease potion, but that didn't help.

Zaptruder

Banned
So how many people are playing the game in third person view?

Also can you play the whole game like that (sans before the character creation bit), especially for the X360?

Any screenshots of third person view? Does it control better in combat with 3rd person or 1st person view?

Sorry, late to the party... my copy of oblivion isn't due till sometime mid april... but it was only 40 bucks.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Zaptruder said:
So how many people are playing the game in third person view?

Also can you play the whole game like that (sans before the character creation bit), especially for the X360?

Any screenshots of third person view? Does it control better in combat with 3rd person or 1st person view?

Sorry, late to the party... my copy of oblivion isn't due till sometime mid april... but it was only 40 bucks.

You really can't play in 3rd person for ranged combat easily, because the aiming reticle is basically your head. Draw a line from the camera through your character's head in the direction you're looking, and that's where ranged attacks will go. So that makes ranged combat tough, and it makes picking up items guesswork because your head is blocking it. It's possible, but that stuff is just much easier in first person. Melee combat isn't so bad, because you only need to be facing your target to hit, and there's no up & down looking required to aim.

Personally, I play in first person except when I'm on horseback.

123rl

Vaandaviii said:
Where can I buy lockpicks?? I'm getting desperate

You normally find them in boxes, crates, bags etc. You might also find them on dead bodies occasionally. Or, if you're like me, you might just steal one or two :D

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
woo, closed the first gate, kinda straight forward in the end. The level scaling thing is starting to annoy me, If i took out a stunted scamp with 2 swings at level 1 then it shouldnt take me 10-12 swings at level 5, maybe something is wrong with the equation that works out health.

I understand Bethesda wanting to keep the game challenging but imo struggling against the same 2ft tall enemies for 50 odd hours of a game is far more frustrating than having a character who cant be hurt by 90% of the worlds inhabitants when they reach a certain level. In many RPGs my favourite part is walking back into a pack of enemies that used to give you trouble and laying them all down with ease thanks to my hard leveling work.

Still Im lovin' the questing side of things, Its great to think that anything you pick up or activate can trigger a quest, I was just wandering around and picked up a Ninroot plant that kicked off some kind of scavenger hunt thing, its a bit of a bitch 'cause i need 10 of these things and there were only 4 at the place i was sent to look, so i guess i either have to wait it out or go find some other likely locations.

Im playing a custom warrior class (I wanted to concentrate on blunts and give myself an extra major class in something other than blades), I love the satisfying fud when you take down an enemy with a war hammer. Im wishing that i'd taken alchemy instead of restoration now though. Guess i'll get my alchemy on when i make my murderous mage later on.

As a warrior do i still need to complete the mage guild quest to make magic items and such? Or will i be crap at doing it anyway? I dont really wanna get into it unless its worthwhile, as im trying to leave some quests so i can play through again.

thorns

Banned
a couple of pics I took of my new "assassin/mage"
sbmxzm.jpg

sbn96b.jpg

this game is jawdroppingly beautiful...

123rl said:
You normally find them in boxes, crates, bags etc. You might also find them on dead bodies occasionally. Or, if you're like me, you might just steal one or two :D

Well, at last I have bought 100 lockpicks at...
Bruma. Ongar sells 100 of them at 6 bucks each one. Fuck, 600 on lockpicks :lol

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
SteveMeister said:
Ghost, are your weapons fully repaired?

Yeah i fix them up reguarly, it just seems like the little bastards have suddenly developed the ability to knock me back a lot and take a fair bit more punishment. Could the fact that i didnt raise my strength last time i leveled be the problem?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Vaandaviii said:
Well, at last I have bought 100 lockpicks at...
Bruma. Ongar sells 100 of them at 6 bucks each one. Fuck, 600 on lockpicks :lol

Yes, but
you have to be in the thieves guild to have access to him

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Ghost said:
Yeah i fix them up reguarly, it just seems like the little bastards have suddenly developed the ability to knock me back a lot and take a fair bit more punishment. Could the fact that i didnt raise my strength last time i leveled be the problem?

Agility's more important than strength to prevent being staggered. Also are you blocking? You won't get staggered as often because less damage gets through to you. Plus, it causes them to recoil, giving you either a) a chance to counter attack or b) time to recover if you've been staggered.

Zaptruder

Banned
Hey steve, thx for the answer, maybe you can answer another...

do you guys plan on patching/balancing the game through Xbox live? Like that stuff about the end game been borked balance wise and a few other bugs that members here have described.

It would be nice if this game could justify the kind of attention to detail and post game service as say Blizzard games have in the past, with balance patches coming out years after the game was released.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Spencerr -- yep, you can only use one of the summoning spells at a time.

Zap, I can't coment on that sort of thing at this time, sorry!

belgurdo

Banned
Ghost said:
woo, closed the first gate, kinda straight forward in the end. The level scaling thing is starting to annoy me, If i took out a stunted scamp with 2 swings at level 1 then it shouldnt take me 10-12 swings at level 5, maybe something is wrong with the equation that works out health.

I understand Bethesda wanting to keep the game challenging but imo struggling against the same 2ft tall enemies for 50 odd hours of a game is far more frustrating than having a character who cant be hurt by 90% of the worlds inhabitants when they reach a certain level. In many RPGs my favourite part is walking back into a pack of enemies that used to give you trouble and laying them all down with ease thanks to my hard leveling work.

Argh, yes. Level scaling fucking sucks and really needs to be patched. i'm trying to do some mission outside of the imperial city that involves killing slaughterfish, which I figure was easy at level 1, but now I'm level 12 and the damn things have upgraded into a completely different type of creature and kill me in five hits, despite my high level armor. What was Bethesda thinking?

Spencerr

Banned
SteveMeister said:
Spencerr -- yep, you can only use one of the summoning spells at a time.

Zap, I can't coment on that sort of thing at this time, sorry!

Mkay, I'll just have to see what kind of crazy stuff I'll be able to conjure later :)

Crow

Vaandaviii said:
Where can I buy lockpicks?? I'm getting desperate

mudcrabs...seems like every damn mudcrab carries around a lockpick these days.

Seriously, just search for the theives guild.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
belgurdo said:
Argh, yes. Level scaling fucking sucks and really needs to be patched. i'm trying to do some mission outside of the imperial city that involves killing slaughterfish, which I figure was easy at level 1, but now I'm level 12 and the damn things have upgraded into a completely different type of creature and kill me in five hits, despite my high level armor. What was Bethesda thinking?

I don't like this at all. I was going to kill Umbra and I had my one high level spell that was really working for me. All the scamps are gone and now Clannfears are around and every battle is a challenge.

And the best armor I can buy in the fucking city is still fur. What the hell? Where can I buy GOOD armor?

belgurdo

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
And the best armor I can buy in the fucking city is still fur. What the hell? Where can I buy GOOD armor?

Considering I've been to like four cities already and everything they sell is worse than the equally crappy scaled loot you get from grinding (save for the odd enchanted item sold in a couple of places,) I don't think there is any place that can help you. I really want to know what the devs were thinking by taking out all of the epic loot and not having sellers update their stuff as the quest goes on. Was this supposed to make the game more balanced?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
SNUG REVOL said:
Can someone confirm this? This cant be real.

Well not *every* every NPC just yet, but at one point I killed like 10 consecutive NPCs that dropped daedric weapons. And if it's not daedric it's ebony or glass. NPCs in town are walking around with at *least* glass or better.

http://www.abjecthubris.com/images/weapons.avi I stopped saving glass weapons because it's all ebony or better now, and I sorta stopped collecting altogether since I'm bored, but yeah, that's indicative of regular drops in dungeons and such (that's all glass/ebony/daedric/magical stuff)

Anyone find any cool bows yet? Im thinking about starting a new character mainly an archer. Can someone comment on some of thier expirences as an archer. I get the feeling that this game is favored more to swordsmen.

SNUG REVOL said:
Anyone find any cool bows yet? Im thinking about starting a new character mainly an archer. Can someone comment on some of thier expirences as an archer. I get the feeling that this game is favored more to swordsmen.

Once again, the Dark Brotherhood has the answer. You can get a kick ass bow through them.

Unison

Re: Haunted House quest.

RegularMK said:
Was convincing that guy to help you a cakewalk? What did you do?

The trick is that you have to pick up the diary entry from the basement and take it to the guy. Otherwise, he won't come back to Anvil with you.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Steve,

I gotta say, if things continue to improve like this for the series, I am going to be a life long fan.

Morrowind just didn't do it for me, but this game is fantastic.

There is obviously always room for improvement, but as long as this series continues to expand and advance, I will be buying your ES games as long as you keep making them.

I think at some point we should start an Oblivion suggestion thread so we can get input from the gaming community and possibly give you guys some ideas to run with. I want this series to flourish.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Once again, the Dark Brotherhood has the answer. You can get a kick ass bow through them.
Noted. Thanks :)

Dr_Cogent said:
Steve,

I gotta say, if things continue to improve like this for the series, I am going to be a life long fan.

Morrowind just didn't do it for me, but this game is fantastic.

There is obviously always room for improvement, but as long as this series continues to expand and advance, I will be buying your ES games as long as you keep making them.

I think at some point we should start an Oblivion suggestion thread so we can get input from the gaming community and possibly give you guys some ideas to run with. I want this series to flourish.

QFT.

I hate pretty much all forms of RPG's. This series I'm in love with. Im a big tactical shooter fan (GRAW) But I havent touched anything but Oblivion in the last 4 days. Im hooked. GOTY contender for sure.

Now if only I can make up my mind what to play through the game as. I've got like 4 different characters and I'm trying to decide which one I want to invest my time in. :D

Top Bottom