• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

trmas

Banned
I LOVE this game, and hated Morrowind, but I have a serious question. Not a flame. It seems that my copy will literally take minutes to load on the 360 - this seems kind of excessive. It isn't the 360, because GRAW works fine.

Did I just get a bad copy of the game?

Solo

CoolTrick said:
So what makes this game better than Morrowind, which I'm currently playing.

For starters, it doesnt feature the worst combat ever. For finishers, this game is a masterpiece, which the former wasnt.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
EviLore said:
Oblivion's officially broken in the higher levels. I'm running on a treadmill with this loot scaling. Every npc is now carrying daedric weapons (yes, you know, rare precious artifact daedric weapons), and dungeon crawling feels totally pointless when every enemy drops another one of these.

The factional quest lines leave much to be desired and are definitely a step back from morrowind. I'm just about done with the mages guild line and wow, talk about Fisher Price's My First Elder Scrolls. I'm almost done with the thieves guild quest line too, and while the concept of independent thievery is pretty fantastic, the execution made it useless. Increments of 100 gold? Right. Did 1000-2000 during the first couple "special jobs," so it's been auto-complete ever since. Arena was pretty cool but it didn't take much at all to get to grand champion.

It's sorta like the move from Baldur's Gate II to KotOR. It'll expand markets and get few complaints from casuals, but I feel alienated by the "streamlining."

Although I'm not so bummed, I do feel somewhat similar. I REALLY miss the constant tug-of-war that Morrowind had with it's guild, house(I miss these!) and faction quests. Membership and progress in one faction turned others to hate or even attack you on the spot. Oblivion is giving off more of a collectathon vibe making replay a bit less appetizing knowing full well that you can do anything and everything with such little penalty on that first go. It's somewhat depressing how quickly progress in the factions moves also, a rank-up in Morrowind took nearly half-dozen quests in each specific guild.

On the flipside, the actual quest content is far more involving and creative in this game. Questing in Morrowind rarely went beyond typical fetching and assassination plots.

I also would have preferred having to discover -everything- on the map first before fast-travel, not just the little tucked-away forts and caves littered between. I miss that satisfaction of discovery when all of the cities and major hotspots are spelled out for me. Morrowind felt absolutely ginormous at first, but once you pick apart the world piece by piece, the scale dampens considerably. I loved that.

123rl

n00b question since I'm an Elder Scrolls virgin until I played Oblivion:

When I make a new potion, how do I use it/find it/sell it? I made a couple by mixing several ingredients. I named them and saved them but I can't find them anywhere. Where do I find the potions that I've made myself and how do I find out what they do etc?

trmas said:
I LOVE this game, and hated Morrowind, but I have a serious question. Not a flame. It seems that my copy will literally take minutes to load on the 360 - this seems kind of excessive. It isn't the 360, because GRAW works fine.

Did I just get a bad copy of the game?

Hold down the A button while the game loads (once the console is switched on and until the main title screen). This clears the cache on the HDD and improves loading times. It's a "bug" that somehow means cached data causes longer loading times...I'm not quite sure how that works but that's what happens :lol It's happened to me a couple of times. Some levels can take a minute to load. But when I come back to play it later (and hold down A to clear the cache) they can load in 5-10 seconds

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Brandon F said:
Although I'm not so bummed, I do feel somewhat similar. I REALLY miss the constant tug-of-war that Morrowind had with it's guild, house(I miss these!) and faction quests. Membership and progress in one faction turned others to hate or even attack you on the spot. Oblivion is giving off more of a collectathon vibe making replay a bit less appetizing knowing full well that you can do anything and everything with such little penalty on that first go. It's somewhat depressing how quickly progress in the factions moves also, a rank-up in Morrowind took nearly half-dozen quests in each specific guild.

On the flipside, the actual quest content is far more involving and creative in this game. Questing in Morrowind rarely went beyond typical fetching and assassination plots.

The non-faction quests in oblivion are largely pretty cool. No gripes there really.

The faction quests... well, for example the mages guild line (which I've finished) is pretty much ENTIRELY "go to ruins, kill necromancers" after you finish the brief recommendation line to get into the arcane uni. As mentioned, the thieves guild stuff would be cooler if it focused more on independent thievery, and in increments of thousands rather than hundreds. And it should scale up properly, not "another hundred" after each task, but more like "2 thousand after this task, 3 thousand more after the next." Seriously, I looted one or two rooms and I had enough thievery done for the ENTIRE thieves guild independent thievery campaign. Broken.

Consider that oblivion has relatively short quest lines for its factions:

Mages Guild
Fighters Guild
Thieves Guild
Dark Brotherhood
Arena

And morrowind has significantly longer quest lines for its factions:

Fighters Guild
Mages Guild
Thieves Guild
Morag Tong
Temple
Imperial Cult
Imperial Legion
House Hlallu
House Redoran
House Telvanni
Clan Aundae
Clan Berne
Clan Quarra

(this morrowind list is not counting the main quest related ones, or the twin lamps stuff which is doesn't have a proper quest line, or the east empire company from the expansion)

Really disappointing to see this aspect trivialized.

knitoe

I found "Dagger that destroys weapons on hit" and love it. Strange, but it even works on ghost. I was getting my ass kick against a ghost boss, and so, I decided to use the dagger on him. It broke his 2-handed sword, and thus, he started punching me instead. :lol

Pellham

Banned
I guess they streamlined the quests to make it a quality over quantity thing. Everything in general is easier to do in Oblivion thanks to the journal system telling you where to go. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I loved Morrowind, but I pretty much played the game following a gamefaqs guide because most of the time you don't have a clue what to do next. Even Todd Howard mentioned that the majority of people who bought Morrowind never found Caius Cosades. That's pretty freakin' sad.

Here's to hoping that official expansion packs add more factions.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
EviLore said:
The non-faction quests in oblivion are largely pretty cool. No gripes there really.

The faction quests... well, for example the mages guild line (which I've finished) is pretty much ENTIRELY "go to ruins, kill necromancers" after you finish the brief recommendation line to get into the arcane uni. As mentioned, the thieves guild stuff would be cooler if it focused more on independent thievery, and in increments of thousands rather than hundreds. And it should scale up properly, not "another hundred" after each task, but more like "2 thousand after this task, 3 thousand more after the next." Seriously, I looted one or two rooms and I had enough thievery done for the ENTIRE thieves guild independent thievery campaign. Broken.

Totally agreed, I've easilly completed enough fencing on my first go to satisfy the entire quest line myself I'm sure. They really didn't plan that one out effectively.

I wouldn't actually mind traipsing across the world doing repeated "steal X item/Kill Y NPC" questing just to pad out the guild lines, moving up in the thieves guild doesn't have a real sense of progress given every little task affords a new rank so quickly.

The default difficulty is out of whack also. My sneak skill is pushing 90, and my marksman is nearing 80. Getting the stealthed 3X crit bonus barely scratches most fools, I had to lower the slider to balance out the game proper. Combat is just irritating on the standard setting.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
CoolTrick said:
There's only FIVE faction lines??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

More like four, realistically. The arena I did in maybe an hour total. One quest, the rest is just killing folk.

knitoe

My Arms Your Hearse said:
In case nobody answered you... the Ring of Nighteye is in a average locked chest in Umbra's lair (if you know where that is).

If not, go tot he old bridge and nearth North up the road. You'll come across some ruins that are right on top of the road. She is at the end of those. You'll need to be at least level 8ish? or so for it to appear, I think. I've done the quest at earlier levels with other characters and it hasn't been there.

Also, the main quest is nowhere near 40 hours long. Ten tops, unless you do ALL the oblivion gates, which could then bump it up a tad (they only take a few minutes unless you absolutely go over every inch for loot). Depressingly short, actually, but it isn't as if there is a shortage of other things to do.

Where's Umbra's Lair?

What city is the old bridge in?

I want the ring bad. :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's Vindasal or whatever. And like someone indicated, it sounds like Vin Diesel.

So how can I kill her?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
CoolTrick said:
How are more people not upset about this?

oblivion04.jpg

Of course, all of these things take longer if you don't use fast travel. I've only used it once in my 30 or so hours of playing and I've not even started the main quest, only completed 14-15 quests in various towns.

Maybe I'm weird, but I like traveling in this game.. whether it be by foot or on horseback, though my character's run speed is pretty high.. so I don't really feel like I need my horse.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Thanks to Speevy for the Ectoplasym tip, but that alchemist only had 1, i need 5, so does anyone know what drops it or where to buy a few?

fugimax

Thanks to Speevy for the Ectoplasym tip, but that alchemist only had 1, i need 5, so does anyone know what drops it or where to buy a few?
Ghosts in dungeon/cave places. I got a few from ghosts in a place named Wirden or something..

jedimike

Ghost said:
Does that mean i need a silver weapon?

I killed some ghosts when I was lv 1. I used flame though. Found them in a place by the lake right outside of Imperial City. There's an ancient ruin with a staircase that spirals down.

EviLore said:
Oblivion's officially broken in the higher levels. I'm running on a treadmill with this loot scaling. Every npc is now carrying daedric weapons (yes, you know, rare precious artifact daedric weapons), and dungeon crawling feels totally pointless when every enemy drops another one of these.

The factional quest lines leave much to be desired and are definitely a step back from morrowind. I'm just about done with the mages guild line and wow, talk about Fisher Price's My First Elder Scrolls. I'm almost done with the thieves guild quest line too, and while the concept of independent thievery is pretty fantastic, the execution made it useless. Increments of 100 gold? Right. Did 1000-2000 during the first couple "special jobs," so it's been auto-complete ever since. Arena was pretty cool but it didn't take much at all to get to grand champion.

It's sorta like the move from Baldur's Gate II to KotOR. It'll expand markets and get few complaints from casuals, but I feel alienated by the "streamlining."

This needed to happen, though. Perhaps not to the extent that it has, but it had to happen. Morrowind is absolutely incredible... if you can ever get into it, which can be quite difficult given the complete and utter inanity of the combat (fairly essential to most everything else).

I'm hoping with the next iteration they can return to the depth and expanse of Morrowind but keep all the refined elements of Oblivion that make it accessible (fast travel, clearer objectives so you at least know what to do, improvements on the combat). I tend to think there may have been other limiting factors, self-imposed or otherwise, to get the game to its present state.

jedimike

Gloomfire said:
Spoiler for early in the main quest:

When do I get to join the Blades? I delivered Martin, but still nothing.

Talk to Jauffrie... he is the Blade Grandmaster and he will ask you to join.

Solo

Thieves Guild help: in the Gray Fox mission in which Im stealing the arrow from Fathis Aren, where is the key to get into his tower? I find the secret passage in his room, went through it, killed a conjurer at the end of it, then there is an old wooden door, requiring a key. The conjurer has no key, and Ive looked everywhere. Thanks in advance to whoever can help.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Solo said:
Thieves Guild help: in the Gray Fox mission in which Im stealing the arrow from Fathis Aren, where is the key to get into his tower? I find the secret passage in his room, went through it, killed a conjurer at the end of it, then there is an old wooden door, requiring a key. The conjurer has no key, and Ive looked everywhere. Thanks in advance to whoever can help.

Once you exit the grotto or whatever and end up outdoors again, proceed to the top. You don't need a key.

eso76

Morrowind was very well balanced in that you were free to roam vvanderfell but..you just couldn't, because there were very dangerous creatures making it very hard to reach certain areas at first: in oblivion everything is within your reach right from the start it seems; this also means there's no dungeon you're supposed to venture in only when you've become more powerful, and actually the ones i've seen so far all felt the same as long as difficulty (and sadly, reward) goes. Levelling creatures, difficulty and loot with your level makes dungeons feel much less unique, and means you know more or less what creatures and what treasures you can expect to find when you enter one.
i hope there's many "non-dynamic" dungeons as well,otherwise there's really no point.
Oh well.

Solo

EviLore said:
Once you exit the grotto or whatever and end up outdoors again, proceed to the top. You don't need a key.

The only exits Ive found are:

- the way I came in, nothing there
- under water, which puts me out in the middle of a lake

So where are you referring to? Thanks.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Solo said:
The only exits Ive found are:

- the way I came in, nothing there
- under water, which puts me out in the middle of a lake

So where are you referring to? Thanks.

Keep exploring, you'll find the exit (no, not the lake one). There's one way underground that's blocked with a "you need a key" message, but there's an alternative route to get out.

Speevy

Banned
I just ventured into the woods and was attacked by a bandit. 3 minotaurs, an imp, and a unicorn attacked HIM.

I really think that on the basis of everything Morrowind does wrong (boring fetch quests, stupid "venture into the ruins and get this book quests,
btw Evilore that was pretty much all you did in Morrowind's mage's guild
, huge stability issues, horrid combat, and completely breakable stat system, Oblivion is superior.

Morrowind had volumes of text to read, and you were constantly aware of how you could steal things and become rich and powerful. "Wealth beyond measure, Outlander."

But in general, I think Oblivion is just more fun. Morrowind had all of its main and side quest story points blend together in a haze of "Go to this 6 syllable ruin and grab this."

Oblivion does streamline, but you also get a living world that's not just a bunch of stat-based text boxes to interact with. I really feel like I'm interacting with people instead of treasure chests.

And of course, expansions can add all the content you're looking for. You know they're coming. (like this game is somehow lacking content, it has more than any game I've seen since Morrowind)

DSN2K

how do you drop stuff without having to put it in a box or something ? im stuck cause Ive just been given a sword but now I cant move. :lol

PC version btw.

Speevy

Banned
DSN2K said:
how do you drop stuff without having to put it in a box or something ? im stuck cause Ive just been given a sword but now I cant move. :lol

PC version btw.

Open your item screen. You should be able to just drop it.

IJoel

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread before (this is a huge beast,) but what's the best armorer/weapon dealer to sell expensive armor/weapons? I have daedric weapons that are worth 4K and the richest merchant I can find has only 1.2K.

Vark

DSN2K said:

PC version btw.

hold down shift and click something in your inventory to drop it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Speevy: *shrug* I liked the quests in morrowind, mostly. Maybe mostly because of the REAL exploration necessary to complete them, rather than "fast travel a minute away and stare at compass until you get to Cave 573" that oblivion does for you. Any sort of quest into unfamiliar territory is an adventure in morrowind, be it a fetch quest or a kill quest or whatever. I was intimidated my first times going to Vivec, for example; the sort of feeling I don't get from oblivion's cookie cutter towns that I fast travel to and from every 2 minutes.

Oblivion's quests are "better" in the sense that there are some cool scripted events and such, but especially in the mages guild line most of them end up feeling like MMORPG grinds. Being fully voiced, I don't get any sort of rich detail or backstory or anything, just a brief explanation and off I go to yet another cave pointed out by the arrow on my map.

By the end of the mages guild line I had to let out my frustration by disposing with the inhabitants of the arcane university ;b

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
For those moaning about quick travel or compass use etc...can't you just not use it?

I don't think I'd have the patience to play this game otherwise. So many books in thi sgame, at first I was thinking about hoarding each one and reading them all, but man theres so many. Anyone actually read many of the books?

N00b quetsion, how worthwhile is it to use trainers? I notice some are pretty expensive, worthwhile to pay the price or just train yourself up?

Definately considering getting the strategy guide now as there seems to be room for a ridiculous amount of hidden dungeons etc.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Yea i noticed this game is way too streamlined, fast travel should have not made it into this game, especially since you get access to all cities right off the bat at the beginning of the game, where's the exploration? Who needs roads? Just warp to the city, get a quest, oh oh, no more detailed logs like in morrowind as to where it is, JUST FOLLOW the compass, lame..

Still fun game but, its way too streamlined compared to morrowind. 8 hotkeys, wtf is up with that aswell? Couldnt you map any buttons anywhere on the keyboard in morrowind?

Top Bottom